Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Muder At A Funeral - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Muder At A Funeral (951 Views)

The Funeral Of Justice / Conduct Your Triumph As A Funeral / I NEED YOU TO READ THIS (Festival In A Funeral) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muder At A Funeral by ohaleoghene(f): 1:34pm On Aug 03, 2013
MUDER AT A FUNERAL
‘He called me son’ Albert said searching Barrister’s eyes. He expected Barrister to look thunder struck, but he was relax and unmoved by what himself had considered a horrified news. Barrister should know....
Scrol,l down to continue
Re: Muder At A Funeral by Mynd44: 1:46pm On Aug 03, 2013
I believe
Re: Muder At A Funeral by MrTAnonymous(m): 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2013
*Interesting*
Re: Muder At A Funeral by beyonDskygirl(f): 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2013
following*
Re: Muder At A Funeral by ohaleoghene(f): 4:07pm On Aug 05, 2013
MUDER AT A FUNERAL
‘He called me son’ Albert said searching Barrister’s eyes. He expected Barrister to look thunder struck, but he was relax and unmoved by what himself had considered a horrified news. Barrister should know , he had been the family's attorney for many decades,and they all call him Barrister , a name that has stuck for so long that when he was growing up, he had thought his name was Barrister, but later found out that it was a legal term.
‘You knew he was my father?’’ Albert eyes were getting heavy with tears.
Barrister stared back at him; he could sense the anger, disappointment and maybe hatred building up in Albert. And for those seconds, he felt a little pity for him, but Albert deserves no pity. He wanted to say something to pacify him, but the right words to use eluded him.
‘How come nobody told me?’’ Albert yelled. He looked at the corpse sitting in the car, and then to his supposed relatives who watched on from a close distance as spectators in a playhouse. The different was that it was not one of Shakespearian’s plays , or another of Soyinka’s boring plays;it was the drama of his own life!
He gazed at the corpse, he couldn't hold back , he had to let the water pour out ; he can’t remember ever shedding tears, he had never lack anything , so there was no need to for pains, but there he was crying and sobbing like a baby whose mother had refused him his play toys. He tried finding an answer to why he had shot the gun, but none was forth coming, he hadn’t needed to shoot the gun, yet he did.
If Lawson was his father, everything still would have been his’. He had let the quest for wealth launched out the murderous part of him-there is after all a killer in everyone, but one wouldn’t know until situation calls for it. This obviously was not one of such situations.
Barrister placed his hand on Albert's shoulder. ‘You acted so fast’’ Seeing the tears made him felt real pity for him, he never knew supercilious Albert could cry. The saying: ‘the rich also cry’.
‘Yea , I did’’ Albert nodded his head .
The sound of an approaching siren caught their attentions, the car stopped, and two cops walked towards them.
'Who called the cops ?' Barrister asked rhetorically .
Albert legs were shaking, his heart beat heavily against his chest, he felt tautness in his stomach, which increased with each step the cops took closer; his tongue suddenly felt sour and a mix of saltiness . He could feel his wet skin. He closed his eyes , and imagined that he was been thrown into a lonely dark cell , and Mr. Lawson appeared and pointed a gun at him ‘’please’’ he muttered ;Mr Lawson shot him twice in the head, Albert screamed .
‘’Hello Don Doe?’’ a hoarse voice called.
Albert opened his eyes.Two uniformed cops were standing before him; he recognised one of the men , –he was the cop he had dragged his gun out from his waist holder. The cops noticed the car door was flung open, and the Corpse was faintly seen .
‘’Go see what happened over there’’ The known cop said to the other cop.
‘’I take it you ‘ve performed magic with my gun hmm?’’ The known cop said , chewing his gum , he made a slap sound with it and smiled at Barrister who made a face to show that the gum sound irritate him.
Albert looked at the gun he was holding, he wanted to drop it , but fear his hand might fail him , so he held unto it tightly .
The unknown cop check the body for pulse, he looked into his wrist watch, and scribbled down something on his note pad. He brought out a glove from his waist purse, and wore it.
‘’Hey man , if at all you make heaven , tell God I have some questions for him , like why did he made the fury of a woman so hard to resist ".
He placed his hand on the corpse’s chest where the bullet had hit and examined it for a sec. He brought out a wallet from the corpse‘s breast pocket,and pulled out the identification card in it. He went round the car, brought out his note pad again,and scribbled on it . He giggled .The tyros who shot him surely didn’t aim for the chest, but the bullet went amiss, and with slight chance, the bullet hit the chest and punch one of the arteries. Had his shot went 2ft below, he would have hit the front tyres. ‘’poor chap’’ he said almost aloud.
‘There has been a murder here ‘’ the unknown cop announced once he rejoined others.
''Any form of identification?'' The known cop asked.
He gave him the ID
The known cop read name :Lawson Connor , age :53 , occupation : chauffeur,address :...
Albert and Barrister listened as if that was the first time of hearing about Lawson Connor .
The known cop looked at Albert, and then at Barrister, half expecting either of them to say something, but when they wouldn’t, he asked: ‘’You hit him?’’ he had his eyes fixed on Barrister
‘’I am not the man with a gun’’ Barrister grunted
The known cop sniffed his nose, and chewed his gum. He turned to Albert with expectant eyes.
‘’I miss my target ‘’ Albert said wannly.
‘’Obviously;’’ the unknown cop said. ‘’Kid was handling a gun for the first time hmm? ‘’ he tapped Albert on the shoulder teasingly.
The known gave the other cop a dismal look.
‘’Sorry Sir’’ the unknown cop said.
‘You can’t interrogate him outside the court’’ Barrister said sharply.
The known cop nodded his head agreeing with Barrister, and turned to Albert. ‘’You are Mr. ?
‘’Albert’’ Albert said
The known cop scribbled on a note .
‘’Mr. Albert you are under arrest for harassing a federal cop, and for the suspect of the murder of one Mr. …’’ he looked into the identification card. ‘’ Lawson Connor’’
‘’You can’t arrest him just yet’’ Barrister cut in.
‘’Who are you?’’ the known cop asked .
Barrister beamed, he was finally given a chance to introduced himself , he was a legal practitioner for Christ sake , if nobody will tell this boys , then he will gladly tell them he isn’t a novice.
‘’I am attorney Chris Banning of golden table legal chambers’’
‘’I see’’ the known cop said elatedly.
‘’Well Mr. Banning …’’
‘’Is attorney’’ Barrister cut in abruptly.
The known cop chuckled wickedly and cleared his throat. ‘’Well attorney Banning, will you let us do our job?’’
‘’Not until I see your warrant of arrest’’
‘’You might be charge with an offence of trying to stop an officer from performing his duty’’
‘’I asked for a warrant ‘’
‘’There has been a murder , and it is my duty to arrest the man with the gun’’ He placed emphasis on ‘’the man with the gun’’
‘’it is not a murder until the court prove otherwise’’
‘’Have we met somewhere before ? you and I ? you seems to ‘ve got a lot of issues with me’’
They gawked at each other. There was silence until someone among the spectators coughed . The cops turned to them, and noticed for the first time that the family was all on black , and except for Barrister and Albert , others were women.
‘’Sorry , I have a sore throat’’ one of the women said. She coughed more. Everyone stared at her , and Albert found it funny , he let out a smile. Many years ago , they were family ,and until today , it was discovered that no one was related , and Mr. Lawson , the least man he had expected to be related to, turned out to be his biological father.
The known cop stared at the spectators ‘’fourteen women two men’’
‘’Sounds like a plan’’ the unknown cop said.
‘’I think I should just go;’’ she said ,still coughing , ‘’since there isn’t any fortune to share’’ She walked away , others followed .
‘’Everyone on black’’ the known cop said . He made to handcuff Albert , Barrister stepped in to prevent him.’’ Step aside sir ?’’
Barrister still stood in his way .
'sir ?' The cop said .
‘’Banning let him do his job’’ Albert said .
Banning stepped aside
‘’Is advise you keep quiet for anyting you say now will be use against you in the court of law’’ the known cop said as he put the cuff on Albert .
''I will get you out '' Barrister whispered to Albert .
''Don't '' Albert said
Barrister shrugged .
The unknown cop led Albert to the waiting car, the known cop dailed his walkie -talkie , a female voice came up . He reported the case , and asked for an ambulance .
Everything had happened so fast, it all seems like a movie, if the devil want to use you as his workshop, he makes everything happen at a high pace. He was at the funeral to bury the man he had called ‘’father’’ for 28 years , a man that had carried him on the shoulder while he was a toddler , a man they played football together ,lick the ice cream together, and do a cat chase every Saturday . One wouldn’t know who’s truly a family.
It was a Friday, so he went clubbing with the boys; got home at 5:48am, too tired to UnCloth, he jumped into his bed to take a long sleep. ‘’Thank God is Saturday’’ At 8:45 am ,his phone vibrate against his trouser pocket incessantly , at first , he ignored it , but when it seems like the caller wouldn’t stop calling , he sluggishly pulled out the phone. ‘Pathetic’’ Albert muttered sleepily immediately he identified the caller
‘’Dad?;’’ Albert said .
‘’Albert is that you?’’ A cracked voice said.
Albert kept mute, thinking, that wasn’t Dad’s voice, and he never called him Albert . Since he was a kid , his father called him ‘son’
‘’Who are you? Albert spoke sharply.
‘Is Lawson’’ the voice said.
‘’ Lawson:? ‘’ His voice was sharper. ‘’What you doing with Dad’s cell phone?
‘’I think your father might be dead’’
Albert sat up quickly. ‘’You think? What happened?’’
‘I’ll advise you come find out yourself’’
‘’woo;’’ he exclaimed, ‘’Where are you ?’’ he jumped off the bed.
‘’home’’
’I’m on my way’’ He dropped the call, picked his car key from the sitting room, and rushed to the garage. He hopped into the car , and reverse, the tyre hiss .
‘Shit’ he hit the wheel, ‘not now buddy.’ He checked his boot for extra tyre, but found none. He moved outside to the road, and stretched his neck left and then to the right, to see if there was a taxi in sight. The chance of getting a taxi was slim , his estate was residential , taxi rarely plied it. He quickly dialled his phone; It rang for a while before it was picked. ‘’Can you come pick me? Have got a flat tyre’’ Few minutes later , a car stopped by, Albert got in.
‘’Thanks man’ Albert said after settling well on the chair. Lawson nodded his head, and concentrated on the road. They didn’t speak to each other. Lawson drove out of the estate into a single lane road. The street was quite.
‘Ain ’t you go’n tell me what happened to my father?’’
‘We were supposed to go to the beach house this morning , so i went into his room to tell him the car was ready’’ An preceding van almost ran into them , Lawson quickly turn the car over to the predencian lane. When they were back to the road Albert ask ‘’So what happened?’
‘That bastard almost ran into us’
‘I mean to my father’ Albert said questionly
‘I met him struggling with himself on the floor, so i quickly call Dr Mathias’ Lawson talked no more
‘And?’ Albert asked anxiously
‘I think he died the very moment Dr Mathias arrived’
‘So where is the body?’
‘On his bed’
‘And Dr Mathias?’’
‘He was calling the ambulance when I left him to come pick you’
Albert looked away to the window, and smiled.
The car stopped at the house. Albert walked inside. Dr Mathias was climbing down the stairs. He was short , thick ,late 50’s and his face look like one who’s got a wrong surgery on the nose-the right nostril was larger than the left. Once, Albert had asked him why the different in size and if he ever gets enough air through the small hole. Albert was 7 then. Dr Mathias jokingly told Albert that the mouse ate his nose, so he had to get another nose, but only this time the nostrils were different in size.
‘’Hello Albert?’’ Dr Matthias said.
They didn’t shook hands. Dr Mathias hands were in his pocket.
‘Where is he?’
‘Up’
Having problem logging into nairaland , so the work is coming up slowly .will post the concluding part tomorrow .

Please drop a comment . I am still testing my writing ability so I need to know if I am go yet , or till have a long way to go . Please drop comments about the way I write
Re: Muder At A Funeral by Wesslier(m): 4:26pm On Aug 05, 2013
Dis purely.... Western. Well i just hope u successfully "Africaanize" it. Followin
Re: Muder At A Funeral by ohaleoghene(f): 4:48pm On Aug 05, 2013
Wesslier: Dis purely.... Western. Well i just hope u successfully "Africaanize" it. Followin

Yep , is westernised , I am just still trying my writing skills . When is good , then I will start with my African novels . And yes too, I wanna write westernised novels .pls you guys should drop comments expecially on my writing skills. Anything is allowed .
Re: Muder At A Funeral by Wesslier(m): 9:39am On Aug 07, 2013
Just kip rytin dear, so mny ppl are viewin dis work but wont comment until later. BTW u have a nice story line.
Re: Muder At A Funeral by Professurr(m): 11:18am On Aug 26, 2013
I dont understand how the cops arrived at the murder scene and didnt make the expected move of compelling the suspect to drop his gun. I think that should happen at the arrival of the cops before any other thing.

(1) (Reply)

The Confessions Of The Boy Who Told The Truth / The Most Foolish Experience: A Must Read Short Story By Chimmy Ijezie / Story: Another Morning At The Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.