Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,593 members, 7,816,462 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? (1460 Views)

10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) / Chinese Companies 'rent' White Foreigners / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by amberella: 2:07am On May 31, 2008
I'm curious to know what you think of white foreigners living in Nigeria? Honesty is allowed here. Do you make any assumptions when you see a young white woman? Some people tell me white foreigners are treated better than some locals. Others seem to have negative stereotypes (ie: white women or westerners don't have strong family values, do not respect their parents, sleep around, etc.) Or do you simply not care and treat them the same way you would treat anyone else. Are there many white people living in your area?

Thank you.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by Uche2nna(m): 2:10am On May 31, 2008
amber_ella:

I'm curious to know what you think of white foreigners living in Nigeria? Honesty is allowed here. Do you make any assumptions when you see a young white woman? Some people tell me white foreigners are treated better than some locals. Others seem to have negative stereotypes (ie: white women or westerners don't have strong family values, do not respect their parents, sleep around, etc.) Or do you simply not care and treat them the same way you would treat anyone else. Are there many white people living in your area?

Thank you.

I dont if that is a general trend but , in all honesty, the white guys that I know back home were treated much better than the locals.
I dont mean just caucasians. I remenber the Indian guy that taught at my sister's secondary school. He virtually had an office to himself.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by chika98: 2:22am On May 31, 2008
Yeah they are treated better. It is that inferiority complex that plagues our country.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by Nobody: 2:45am On May 31, 2008
chika98:

Yeah they are treated better. It is that inferiority complex that plagues our country.
so true.
Sad thing is, Nigerians worship anything foreign too much. . .
It can be some butt ugly smelly white guy who could not even get a girl in America, but you'll see more than dozens of girls around him in Naija. . . undecided
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by amberella: 2:57am On May 31, 2008
thanks guys. i don't think i will like the attention but I guess it's better than them looking down on me.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by 4Him1(m): 3:00am On May 31, 2008
you'll be treated like royalty.

I remember the first white guy that visited our home, i was only 8yrs old then . . . my brothers and i used to go peep at him just to wonder at his skin color and nose.  cheesy Imagine our amazement when we finally discovered he ate (we thot he was a god!) Oh for the days of ignorance.

Nigerians are very welcoming to visitors . . . u shld enjoy a good time there. Welcome to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by amberella: 3:03am On May 31, 2008
4 Him:

you'll be treated like royalty.

I remember the first white guy that visited our home, i was only 8yrs old then . . . my brothers and i used to go peep at him just to wonder at his skin color and nose. cheesy Imagine our amazement when we finally discovered he ate (we thot he was a god!) Oh for the days of ignorance.

No offense, but that would make me uncomfortable. I hope the children won't stare at me.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by 4Him1(m): 3:07am On May 31, 2008
the children will most likely stare. Many Nigerian kids never get to see foreigners except on Tv so its always a thing of amazement to see one up close. The novelty wears off after a couple of days and u become "the oyinbo next door".
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by Nobody: 3:18am On May 31, 2008
When I was in Nigeria, my sister invited her friend  (a white guy) to our house. And my neighbour's four year old daughter happened to be playing in the house. When the guy came, my sister tried bringing this girl closer to the guy, she screamed in fright and ran away undecided.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by amberella: 3:20am On May 31, 2008
stillwater:

When I was in Nigeria, my sister invited her friend (a white guy) to our house. And my neighbour's four year old daughter happened to playing in the house. When the guy came, my sister tried bringing this girl closer to the guy, she screamed in fright and ran away undecided.

Oh goodness, We don't all eat children! smiley
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by Nobody: 3:23am On May 31, 2008
Of course you don't wink.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by Nwaka77: 3:53pm On May 31, 2008
stillwater:

When I was in Nigeria, my sister invited her friend (a white guy) to our house. And my neighbour's four year old daughter happened to playing in the house. When the guy came, my sister tried bringing this girl closer to the guy, she screamed in fright and ran away undecided.

LOL, can't blame the little girl. Maybe she saw white skinheads on television dealing mercilessly with black folks somewhere in the western hemisphere and from that day on thought white people are the buggy man cool

As far as I am concerned, I will never forget how I was treated when I used to live in Germany back in the day. One word comes to mind: Horrible!!! After my experience in Germany, I never saw caucasians the same way again. I don't live in Nigeria but if I did and were to see white people, I don't think I wil even pay them any mind undecided Living abroad has opend my eyes to alot of things and made me realize how some human beings can be.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by amberella: 4:01pm On May 31, 2008
Nwaka77:

LOL, can't blame the little girl. Maybe she saw white skinheads on television dealing mercilessly with black folks somewhere in the western hemisphere and from that day on thought white people are the buggy man cool

As far as I am concerned, I will never forget how I was treated when I used to live in Germany back in the day. One word comes to mind: Horrible!!! After my experience in Germany, I never saw caucasians the same way again. I don't live in Nigeria but if I did and were to see white people, I don't think I wil even pay them any mind undecided Living abroad has opend my eyes to alot of things and made me realize how some human beings can be.

Well, I have a bit of German in me, so on behalf of my fellow whities, I'd like to apologise to you.

Growing up, I thought that racism was a thing of the past. Here in Canada, it's not socially acceptable to make racist comments. We're taught that everyone is equal and that skin color is just that - pigment. However, once I started dating my African husband, it became apparent to me how stupid and ignorant some of my fellow countrymen and women still are. They won't come out and say it but it's totally still here. Very shameful and disappointing.
Re: What Do You Think Of White Foreigners? by Uche2nna(m): 4:59pm On May 31, 2008
amber_ella:

Well, I have a bit of German in me, so on behalf of my fellow whities, I'd like to apologise to you.

Growing up, I thought that racism was a thing of the past. Here in Canada, it's not socially acceptable to make racist comments. We're taught that everyone is equal and that skin color is just that - pigment. However, once I started dating my African husband, it became apparent to me how stupid and ignorant some of my fellow countrymen and women still are. They won't come out and say it but it's totally still here. Very shameful and disappointing.

Yeah!!!!!

I understand. They would be giving that look that says "Whatchu doing, amber!!!"? grin

(1) (Reply)

Sex In Exchange For Cocaine. Nigerian Drug Gang Arrested In Padova(italy) / Canana Visiting Visa How Hard? / Is There A Flight From Phc To Adamawa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.