Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,675 members, 7,865,711 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 12:54 AM

NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs (856 Views)

19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. / Can The Holder Of Uk Visa Travel To Other Eu Countries? Like Schengen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by deolascope: 3:54am On Aug 06, 2013
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have announced the arrest of a 30-year-old man, John Arinze, for being in possession of 2.1 kilogrames of methamphetamine.

Mitchell Ofoyeju, the NDLEA Head of Public Affairs told Punch that the arrest was made during the outward screening of passengers on a Virgin Atlantic flight to London at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

Arinze, who is a career counsellor said he holds a Master’s degree in International Business from Bolton University, UK. He also claimed to be an ambassador of Bolton University in the United Kingdom where he had lived for three years.

During his interrogation, he claimed innocence of the crime saying that he was given the bag by a friend, who bought his return ticket to London. He said:

“I came to Nigeria in June as an alumni ambassador of my university. I have a Master’s degree in International Business from Bolton University. Work was at advanced stage for an exhibition in Onitsha with parents and prospective candidates, who are interested in furthering their education in the United Kingdom.

“In the process, I got an interview request in London which I had wanted to quickly attend and then return to Nigeria. A friend who assisted me in buying my ticket gave me the bag to use for my trip. It was inside the bag that the parcels of drug were found. I truly regret the incident and will like my friends, relatives and business partners to please understand my situation.”

The NDLEA noted that four parcels containing substances that tested positive for methamphetamine were found carefully hidden inside Arinze’s luggage. The sides of his bag had to be cut open to recover the parcels of drugs.

The Chairman of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade however did not believe Arinze’s testimony and described his excuse as disappointing.

“It is sad and disappointing that the suspect could yield to the demand to traffic drugs considering his academic background and profession as a career counsellor,” he was quoted as saying.

This is a dicey one. Is it possible that Arinze was not aware there were drugs in his bag? What do you think?
http://greenbiro.com/30-year-old-masters-degree-holder-from-bolton-university-uk-arrested-for-drug-trafficking-in-lagos/

Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by Gboliwe: 5:32am On Aug 06, 2013
No 30year old Nigerian is that dumb! Arinze, own up to the allegation. You attempted to traffic drug despite your pedigree and you must pay for your crime.
Learner!
Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 06, 2013
so sad and unfortunate for him to be in this kind of a mess.
Gboliwe: No 30year old Nigerian is that dumb! Arinze, own up to the allegation. You attempted to traffic drug despite your pedigree and you must pay for your crime.
Learner!
Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by Gboliwe: 5:58am On Aug 06, 2013
Thats how it goes for greedy learners
Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by Omexonomy: 7:26am On Aug 06, 2013
Gboliwe: Thats how it goes for greedy learners
shwo no be ur brother him be.
Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by suxes2005(m): 7:51am On Aug 06, 2013
Too bad for him. He's so greedy.
Let em give him a greedy sentence as well!

SHALOM
Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by Gboliwe: 9:29am On Aug 06, 2013
Omexonomy: shwo no be ur brother him be.

does that make his action right?

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by futurewise11(m): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2013
What the different between drug dealer and confirmed fradulent visa agent on nairaland?

suxes2005: Too bad for him. He's so greedy.
Let em give him a greedy sentence as well!

SHALOM
Re: NDLEA Arrests Nigerian Masters Degree Holder From UK University With Drugs by GboyegaD(m): 12:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
While it is difficult to believe he isn't aware of the drugs in the bag, it is also a possibility. I will suggest the person be arrested and interogated properly just as Arinze is being interrogated.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(pics) / Top 5 Most Visited Countries In Africa / Ticket Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.