Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. (20456 Views)

Hot Mixtape - Download Here . Foreign And Nigeria / U've Heard A Thousand Tributes To Da Grin Already But Trust Me This Will Move U! / Abeg:where Can I Download Foreign And Nigerian Music Free Of Charge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 9:04am On Aug 07, 2013
Some of my favourite foreign (and some domestic) musical tributes to Nigeria. You can add yours as well.
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 9:06am On Aug 07, 2013
"Lagos Jump" (1983). Third World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bzSu2wQcE

"Lagos Jump" (live).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKRJlmqXPVY

Third World are a Jamaican reggae band formed in 1973.

They are noted for such hits as "Try Jah Love", "Now That We Found Love" and "Forbidden Love".

[img]http://3.bp..com/-zLFxmeetwSM/Twuz_x_gOgI/AAAAAAAAVA4/A6uNjqj9w4M/s400/third_world-try_jah_love_s.jpg[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 9:09am On Aug 07, 2013
Xtasy. "E Je Ka Jo" (1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6ZcS0uOGI

Xtasy. "Isale Eko" (1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQidr9A2FQ

Xtasy is a Nigerian duo from the 80's. The group was made up of Roy and Stella Murray-Bruce. Xtasy only made one album on the label of Ben Murray-Bruce's Silver Bird/Ben Murray-Bruce Records.

Ben Murray-Bruce needs no introduction in the Nigerian entertainment world because he started bringing world-renowned musicians into the country from 1980. This album is an ultra super rare boogie,modern soul obscurity lp from Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 9:13am On Aug 07, 2013
"Duduyemi (Natasha)" (1978). Mighty Sparrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8i0eJllTE

The Mighty Sparrow (birth name: Slinger Francisco) is the undisputed king of calypso. He was born on July 9th, 1935 in Grenada, but grew up in Trinidad. He has won Trinidad's Carnival Road March competition eight times and has been named Calypso Monarch eleven times.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 9:18am On Aug 07, 2013
"Band On The Run" (a trip to Lagos). Paul McCartney & Wings (1973).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJoxKffGyY

Band on the Run is an album by Paul McCartney & Wings, released in 1973. It was Wings' third album. It became Wings' most successful album and remains the most celebrated of McCartney's post-Beatles albums. It was 1974's top-selling studio album in the United Kingdom and Australia, and revitalised McCartney's critical standing.

It was the last McCartney album issued on the Apple Records label.

Bored with recording in the United Kingdom, they wanted to go to an exotic locale. After asking EMI to send him a listing of all their international recording studios, Paul happened upon Lagos in Nigeria and was instantly taken with the idea of recording in Africa (EMI Studios on Wharf Road, Apapa).

The band established a routine of recording during the week and playing tourist on the weekends. Paul temporarily joined a country club where he would spend most mornings. The band would be driven to the studio in the early afternoon where recording would last into the late evening and sometimes early morning. To make up for the departed band members, Paul would play drums and lead guitar parts with Denny playing rhythm guitar and Linda adding keyboards.

More incidents would plague Wings' Lagos stay. While out walking one night against advice, Paul and Linda were robbed at knifepoint. The assailants made away with all of their valuables and even stole a bag containing a notebook full of handwritten lyrics and songs, and cassettes containing demos for songs to be recorded.

Another incident was the confrontation with local Afrobeat star and political activist Fela Kuti who publicly accused the band of being in Africa to exploit and steal African music after their visit to his club. Kuti even went to the studio to confront McCartney who played their songs for him proving that they contained no local influence whatsoever. Later on drummer and former Cream member Ginger Baker invited the band to record their entire album at his place, ARC Studio in Ikeja. Though not wanting the invitation, Paul agreed to go there for one day. The song "Picasso's Last Words" was recorded at ARC with Baker contributing a percussive tin of gravel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 07, 2013
A war! Another connoisseur of Mighty Sparrow's ditties.

A bit risque - this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAVTu_1Ekg

2 Likes

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 9:26am On Aug 07, 2013
eGuerrilla: A war! Another connoisseur of Mighty Sparrow's ditties.

A bit risque - this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAVTu_1Ekg

You just reminded me of BenwoodDick, a wonderful and funny song. I still have the '45.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Ishilove: 11:20am On Aug 07, 2013
naptu2: Xtasy. "E Je Ka Jo" (1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6ZcS0uOGI

Xtasy. "Isale Eko" (1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQidr9A2FQ

Xtasy is a Nigerian duo from the 80's. The group was made up of Roy and Stella Murray-Bruce. Xtasy only made one album on the label of Ben Murray-Bruce's Silver Bird/Ben Murray-Bruce Records.

Ben Murray-Bruce needs no introduction in the Nigerian entertainment world because he started bringing world-renowned musicians into the country from 1980. This album is an ultra super rare boogie,modern soul obscurity lp from Nigeria.

Is that why Ben Bruce's son did not allow us see road about two years back? Every evening on silverbird tv, just immediately after the 9pm news, the station played a rap single sung by the boy. Very dry song. I remember my sister always hissed and complained that just because the boy was Ben's son did not mean they had to offend our senses with this tasteless and meaningless noise.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Ishilove: 11:37am On Aug 07, 2013
naptu2:

You just reminded me of BenwoodDick, a wonderful and funny song. I still have the '45.
Benwood Dick? Never hoid of it grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Mynd44: 11:42am On Aug 07, 2013
Ishilove:
Gutter minded gehl
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Ishilove: 11:47am On Aug 07, 2013
naptu2: "Band On The Run" (a trip to Lagos). Paul McCartney & Wings (1973).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJoxKffGyY

Band on the Run is an album by Paul McCartney & Wings, released in 1973. It was Wings' third album. It became Wings' most successful album and remains the most celebrated of McCartney's post-Beatles albums. It was 1974's top-selling studio album in the United Kingdom and Australia, and revitalised McCartney's critical standing.

Bored with recording in the United Kingdom, they wanted to go to an exotic locale. After asking EMI to send him a listing of all their international recording studios, Paul happened upon Lagos in Nigeria and was instantly taken with the idea of recording in Africa (EMI Studios on Wharf Road, Apapa).

The band established a routine of recording during the week and playing tourist on the weekends.
This was when Nigeria was truly the giant of Africa and commanded respect. Not like the present day when the noun 'Nigeria' has become synonymous with almost every manner of vice found in the dictionary

naptu2:
More incidents would plague Wings' Lagos stay. While out walking one night against advice, Paul and Linda were robbed at knifepoint. The assailants made away with all of their valuables and even stole a bag containing a notebook full of handwritten lyrics and songs, and cassettes containing demos for songs to be recorded.
Naija no go EVER carry last for bad tin. We sha must show ourselves wherever we are. Mschewww angry embarassed

naptu2:
Another incident was the confrontation with local Afrobeat star and political activist Fela Kuti who publicly accused the band of being in Africa to exploit and steal African music after their visit to his club. Kuti even went to the studio to confront McCartney who played their songs for him proving that they contained no local influence whatsoever.
Abami Eda himself was one bad asss paranoid niqqa grin

naptu2:

paul_mccartney_26_wings-band_on_the_run_album_cover.jpg[/img]
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by franktolk(m): 12:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
I've searched several times for this song by mighty sparrow, so glad u posted it. Thanks so much!
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 12:27pm On Aug 07, 2013
franktolk: I've searched several times for this song by mighty sparrow, so glad u posted it. Thanks so much!

My pleasure smiley
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by naptu2: 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ishilove:

Abami Eda himself was one bad asss paranoid niqqa grin

There's a reason for that paranoia. James Brown came to Nigeria in 1970. He and members of his band often visited Fela's club. Some members of his band later admitted that they were taking notes.

Since then there's been a massive debate (which might later break out on this thread). Who copied who? Did James Brown copy Fela (the yelling, etc) or did Fela copy James Brown? So when Fela saw these "foreigners" (I'm not going to use the other terms) in his club, he probably thought "here we go again".
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
naptu2: "Duduyemi (Natasha)" (1978). Mighty Sparrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8i0eJllTE

The Mighty Sparrow (birth name: Slinger Francisco) is the undisputed king of calypso. He was born on July 9th, 1935 in Grenada, but grew up in Trinidad. He has won Trinidad's Carnival Road March competition eight times and has been named Calypso Monarch eleven times.

Damn i love Mighty Sparrow, never knew he did a song for Nigeria until i heard it on radio, i guess it has to do with festac.

Off topice
My favourites from Mighty Sparrow
Jean and dinna
Capitalism
Lion and donkey
Salt fish and many more
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ishilove:
Is that why Ben Bruce's son did not allow us see road about two years back? Every evening on silverbird tv, just immediately after the 9pm news, the station played a rap single sung by the boy. Very dry song. I remember my sister always hissed and complained that just because the boy was Ben's son did not mean they had to offend our senses with this tasteless and meaningless noise.
Lol
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by IAMBREEZY: 6:56pm On Aug 07, 2013
Great song
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by IAMBREEZY: 7:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
Great songs
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
Damn!
Mighty Sparrow...
My favourite MS song is #Congo Man
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by lifestyle1(m): 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
ever green. not the craps we listen to this days...

3 Likes

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Temismith(f): 7:11pm On Aug 07, 2013
Make i park here. Brb
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by HoldenCaulfield(m): 7:12pm On Aug 07, 2013
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 07, 2013
Make i go do sumtin 1st..brb
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by ibdeals1(m): 7:19pm On Aug 07, 2013
Funmi Adams Nigeria my beloved country

2 Likes

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by sexkilzahegoat: 7:28pm On Aug 07, 2013
guda musik
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 07, 2013
naptu2: Some of my favourite foreign (and some domestic) musical tributes to Nigeria. You can add yours as well.

that noise by rick ross nko?
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 07, 2013
What is this one saying
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by ednut1(m): 7:41pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ishilove:
jst rememberd dat dude, ga y lookin mofo, d guy was kinda confused and dry, hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ishilove:

Are you sure you understood the topic?
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by firestar(f): 7:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
Heh...Mighty Sparrow cheesy
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
this songs sound like generator noise 4 my ear.

abeg where is my Terry swagger

manonogedede manonogedede oh wer
Re: Foreign And Local Musical Tributes To Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
I don't understand the topic a bit! To whom it may concern, MiKEY was here!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Download Mp3: Dj Ab – Ke Da Ni / Pictures From The Chris Brown Concert / BBC News Yoruba Officially Launches.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.