Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,834 members, 7,862,742 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:47 AM

SCIENTISTS Have Created A Computer That Tells Sexist Jokes. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / SCIENTISTS Have Created A Computer That Tells Sexist Jokes. (504 Views)

Magic That Happen In A Computer That Most Computer Literate Don't Know. / How To Fix A Computer That Turns On But Displays Nothing / How To Connect Blackberry To The Internet(on A Computer) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

SCIENTISTS Have Created A Computer That Tells Sexist Jokes. by nairacodedcom(m): 5:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
The un-PC PC was created by scientists at the University of Edinburgh and is designed to generate its own witty one-liners following a simple set of rules, Britain's Daily Telegraph reports.

The system was programmed to exploit a very successful component of comedy, where a statement is followed up with a surprising comment.

For example: "Take my wife ... please".

But the program has produced many one-liners that could upset the PC brigade.

Others are just plain weird.

The software was designed to find unlikely pairings of words and to make a connection between them.

It most commonly came up with jokes comparing men or women with another object, like: "I like my women like I like my gas … natural."

While some could have rivalled a human comedian for generating a wry smile, others worked less well.

One joke that did not work so well was: "I like my men like I like my court … superior."

One of the program's creators, David Matthews, of the university's school of informatics, said when they tested the jokes on volunteers they found they laughed, although not as much as man made humour.

He admits the machine now has to develop cultural awareness, something some real, live human comedians still struggle with.

source:http://www.news.com.au/technology/did-you-hear-the-one-about-the-boffins-who-invented-a-computer-that-tells-sexist-jokes/story-e6frfro0-1226692606083

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Clean Fairly Used Ipad / Windows 95 Is 18 Years Old. / Please Help!! Having Problem Setting Up Email On Blackberry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.