Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London (864 Views)

Festus Keyamo Tweet On Fuel Scarcity During GEJ's Administration / INEC's Documents May Doom Saraki’s Senatorial Seat - Sahara Reporters / Dino Melaye Beats Smart Adeyemi To Kogi West Senatorial Seat - Daily Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 08, 2013
Festus Keyamo launches his Delta Central senatorial seat campaign in London

HUMAN rights lawyer Festus Keyamo launched his campaign for the vacant Delta Central senatorial seat in London last night pointing out that it was important to start things off in the diaspora because of how much influence their opinions carry.

Senator Pius Ewherido, who held the seat passed away on June 30 and a by-election is due soon to fill the position. Already, political jostling has started in Delta State, with an array of candidates putting themselves forward from the Peoples' Democratic Party (PDP), the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Democratic Peoples' Party (DPP).

Mr Keyamo, a well-known lawyer who has represented activists such as Asari Dokuboh and Ganiyu Adams among others, is looking to run for the seat as the APC candidate. It is not yet clear if the APC and DPP will join forces in the state but negotiations are ongoing between the two parties as they hope to present a united opposition to the ruling PDP.

Senator Ewherido won the seat as a DPP candidate and his party has been the main opposition force in Delta State but nationally, the APC is now the most formidable opponent the PDP faces. Nigeria's Independent National Electoral Commission is yet to fix a date for the by-election but Mr Keyamo told a gathering of supporters at a Delta State Forum UK, meeting last night that their support is key to winning the seat.

Mr Keyamo added: "I thought it best to come here first to intimate you about what we are doing as people do not realise that Deltans in diaspora help to shape opinion back home far more than the elite. The reasons are because you have a bird's eye view of things, you see the entire situation and when you sneeze, it carries a lot of weight back home.

"Part of this is because it is impossible to influence you with money as 95% of the opinions back home are influenced by money. Also, at home, people do not know the force of ideas but you in the diaspora do as you see how things are played out in other lands and you also know that it is not he who has the money that has the right to rule as if that were the case, Dangote would be the president of Nigeria."

Pointing out that he is out to challenge the hold the Ibori dynasty wields in Delta State, Mr Keyamo said he wants to bring the politics of Urhoboland up to that which prevails in the more developed parts of Nigeria. Addressing a packed gathering on Delta State Forum UK members in Deptford in southeast London, Mr Keyamo said he wants to make ideas and not money the driving force behind politics.

He added: "I have had people call me and say I am more than capable but they then ask me how much I have to spend, saying that other candidates have N1bn (£4m) to splash out on the campaign. I want to be a voice for change as Urhobo voices are muted in Nigeria at the moment and about 95% of the opposition politicians in Delta State have worked for the PDP either covertly or overtly in the past.

Mr Keyamo added that one of the first things he will do when he gets into the senate will be to get it to publish the salaries and allowances of senators. He added that this is important in the current fight against corruption in Nigeria.

Source
Re: Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London by luvmijeje(f): 2:37pm On Aug 08, 2013
95 per cent of opinions are Influence by money - Keyamo, don't bother contesting cos those are the people that are suppose to vote for you not people in the disapora.
Re: Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London by gramci: 3:04pm On Aug 08, 2013
Why ridicule his potential voters, is that how he plays his own politics.

SMH
Re: Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
gramci: Why ridicule his potential voters, is that how he plays his own politics.

SMH

I see what your concern lies.

"Part of this is because it is impossible to influence you with money as 95% of the opinions back home are influenced by money. Also, at home, people do not know the force of ideas but you in the diaspora do as you see how things are played out in other lands and you also know that it is not he who has the money that has the right to rule as if that were the case, Dangote would be the president of Nigeria."

But then, are you suggesting that he buries his penchant for speaking candidly, in order to become an establishment politician? Surely it is up to his advisers to sell his non-compromising message to any prospective voter who considers this missive a personal affront.

Personally, I would sooner back an atypical politician like Kenyamo than many of the swing-with-the-prevailing-wind jackals who currently occupy the senate.
Re: Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London by antartica(m): 3:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
eGuerrilla:

But then, are you suggesting that he buries his penchant for speaking candidly, in order to become an establishment politician? Surely it is up to his advisers to sell his non-compromising message to any prospective voter who considers this missive a personal affront.

Personally, I would sooner back an atypical politician like Kenyamo than many of the swing-with-the-prevailing-wind jackals who currently occupy the senate.

Tough to reorientate grown adults.Nigeria salvation is nowhere among the this generation,may be among the unborn generation.The generations that will emerge after everybody living in nigeria today must have died out or in their hundreds.

The vital question is who going to teach them rights from wrong?Maybe they will learn to be normal human beings from the web.
Re: Festus Keyamo Launches His Delta Central Senatorial Seat Campaign In London by gramci: 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
He should take whatever message he has to those that needs it, the time is too short for him to waste with Londoners. They won't add any political value to his senatorial ambition.

It might surprise you to know that most of the likely voters might not have heard of him or his ambition. He still might not have structure at the grassroot to push his campaign so why waste time getting support of those that won't vote for him.

eGuerrilla:

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS- ASUU May Call Off Strike On Thursday / Kidnappers Lay Siege To Delta Varsity; Over 20 Lecturers Kidnapped / PDP Certificate Of Reg Not Missing-metuh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.