Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,065 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist (8117 Views)

Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie / Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist / If Christ Didn’t Exist, Why Do We Measure Time In Bc And Ad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by omobarBlog(m): 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
(Yahoo News) In comments that may shock some staunch Catholics, Cardinal George Pell has described the biblical story of Adam and Eve as a myth.
He appeared alongside renowned evolutionary biologist and atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, on the ABC’s Q&A program last night.
Cardinal Pell said the existence of Adam and Eve was not a matter of science but rather a mythological account.
“It’s a very sophisticated mythology to try to explain the evil and the suffering in the world,” he said.
“It’s a religious story told for religious purposes.”
According to Genesis, God created Adam and Eve as the first man and woman and all people are descended from them.
Cardinal Pell’s explosive comments came after he was questioned about evolution.
He said it was impossible to say when there was a first human.
It is widely accepted in the scientific community that life on Earth has evolved over about four billion years
source:http://omobar..com/2013/08/catholic-cardinal-says-adam-and-eve.html

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by kitakoli(m): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
na wao wink
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Anyi3(m): 5:21pm On Aug 08, 2013
Using logic some biblical things sound awkward but that's when faith kicks in
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 08, 2013
Anyi.:

somethings like who Cain got married to after killing his bro?
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
I'm a practicing Christian but sometimes I wonder why would God want to destroy this world after it's existence for billions of years
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 08, 2013
Some people are not meant to be priests, let alone bishop then cardinal.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 08, 2013
Anyi.:
yes with faith, you can believe
- a talking snake is responsible for man's suffering
- a man's donkey spoke to him
- a betrothed virgin gave birth
- a man built a ship for all animals in the world
- God killed himself to save you from sin

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by mazaje(m): 5:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
musKeeto:

-That an illiterate man got revelations from some angle in a cave
- That a man ascended into heaven on the back of a winged horse
-That some book written in arabic is the best book in the world and is the word of the creator of the universe

Faith is indeed very good thing. . .

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2013
Then who chop the apple undecided
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
spongeback: Then who chop the apple undecided

definitely not bola. undecided
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:32pm On Aug 08, 2013
Atheist Cardinal.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by EvilBrain1(m): 6:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

-That some book written in arabic is the best book in the world and is the word of the creator of the universe

- That the Evil Brain is the one true god.
- That the Evil brain is the wisest, smartest, handsomest and most fit man in the world.
- That the Evil Brain has the biggest pēnïs in the world.
- That the Evil Brain scored 18 consecutive holes in one the very first time he ever played golf.
- That the only way to get rich is to give the Evil Brain 10% of your gross income. (PM me for bank details).

Faith is a great thing.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by omobarBlog(m): 10:26pm On Aug 08, 2013
anybody they reason wetin i dey reason so?
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by mcfynest(m): 10:47pm On Aug 08, 2013
musKeeto:

YOU DO ERR SIR...

1 Like

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by omobarBlog(m): 10:49pm On Aug 08, 2013
this kind of situation requires idea so you wont fall a victim to sin jare
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Heatblast(m): 10:54pm On Aug 08, 2013
shocked shocked these Christians are evolving fast, before we know it, they'll prove to their followers that evolution is in the bible, this would then allow the religion to last longer angry

1 Like

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by EvilBrain1(m): 11:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
Heatblast: shocked shocked these Christians are evolving fast, before we know it, they'll prove to their followers that evolution is in the bible, this would then allow the religion to last longer angry

To be fair to the Catholics, they've been far less willing to contradict science than the Pentecostals. Pope John-Paul actually endorsed the theory of evolution back in the day and acknowledged the big bang theory. There are Catholic priests making serious contributions in many fields of science and the church doesn't seem to be discouraging them.

I guess they must have learnt their lesson from the time they made complete föõls of themselves claiming the sun goes round the earth and forcing Gallileo to agree with them on pain of death.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by elampiro(m): 11:56pm On Aug 08, 2013
I can guess this is a joke.

These people are about to kill religion. New World Order.
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by plaetton: 12:11am On Aug 09, 2013
If this hits front page, many Nigerians might commit suicide.

We are the most fervent defenders of stone age myths.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Heatblast(m): 12:50am On Aug 09, 2013
[quote author=Evil Brain]

To be fair to the Catholics, they've been far less willing to contradict science than the Pentecostals. Pope John-Paul actually endorsed the theory of evolution back in the day and acknowledged the big bang theory. There are Catholic priests making serious contributions in many fields of science and the church doesn't seem to be discouraging them.
I agree, there was a particular documentary I watched where a priest was explaining quantum mechanics.

I guess they must have learnt their lesson from the time they made complete föõls of themselves claiming the sun goes round the earth and forcing Gallileo to agree with them on pain of death.

The Galileo saga was exactly what came to my mind at first. after it was proven beyond doubt, these Christians were able to come up with just a single bible verse that made the flat earth/round earth argument virtually invalid.
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Obi1kenobi(m): 4:10am On Aug 09, 2013
I like Catholics. They're far less likely to take things documented in the Bible literally without question unlike Bible-thumping pentecostals. They're also far less likely to disturb my peace in the name of evangelism. They are also less likey to fleece their flock in the name of tithe collection.
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by EvilBrain1(m): 6:08am On Aug 09, 2013
Obi1kenobi: I like Catholics. They're far less likely to take things documented in the Bible literally without question unlike Bible-thumping pentecostals. They're also far less likely to disturb my peace in the name of evangelism. They are also less likey to fleece their flock in the name of tithe collection.

Yeah. If they can just convince their leaders to stop råping little boys they'd actually be an okay religion.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by collynzo2(m): 8:08am On Aug 09, 2013
mazaje:

. And the theory that the entire universe was once a huge mass of rock that exploded for no apparent reason and VOILA! Here we are...is more believable than a Supreme Being creating the earth? Tell me, if I were to take a car apart, place all the parts in a dumpster, blow the dumpster with sticks of dynamite, am I supposed to believe that in a billion years, the car will magically reassemble itself into a working piece of machinery? You need even bigger faith to believe that.

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 09, 2013
collynzo2: . And the theory that the entire universe was once a huge mass of rock that exploded for no apparent reason and VOILA! Here we are...is more believable than a Supreme Being creating the earth? Tell me, if I were to take a car apart, place all the parts in a dumpster, blow the dumpster with sticks of dynamite, am I supposed to believe that in a billion years, the car will magically reassemble itself into a working piece of machinery? You need even bigger faith to believe that.
What nonsense is this?

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by iamswizz(m): 8:21am On Aug 09, 2013
The cardinal needs help..

The Bible is one great book, that explains everything happening today.
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by collynzo2(m): 8:39am On Aug 09, 2013
musKeeto:
What nonsense is this?
It took you off balance right? You guys don't have a monopoly to nonsense. You believe several useless, unproven theories about evolution with .....faith but turn around to attack those who believe in creation. The theory of big bang and evolution is far more ridiculous than the theory of evolution.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 09, 2013
collynzo2: It took you off balance right? You guys don't have a monopoly to nonsense. You believe several useless, unproven theories about evolution with .....faith but turn around to attack those who believe in creation. The theory of big bang and evolution is far more ridiculous than the theory of evolution.
Lmao.. What do you know about evolution? And do you reject scientific claims outrightly?

@textinRed: That nonsense would probably get you likes. Not all atheists accept the evolution theory.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by italo: 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2013
@Op,

Please, your topic is misleading. Cardinal Pell never said "Adam and Eve never existed."

That a story is a myth doesnt make it untrue.
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
italo: @Op,

Please, your topic is misleading. Cardinal Pell never said "Adam and Eve never existed."

That a story is a myth doesnt make it untrue.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

illiteracy

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by italo: 2:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
Evil Brain:

The Catholic Church and Catholics have always been pioneers and giants in many areas of science and other human disciplines.

There are counless examples if you want them.
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by italo: 2:26pm On Aug 09, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

illiteracy

I repeat: that a story is a myth does not make it untrue.

Read and find out who is "illiterate."
Re: Catholic Cardinal Says Adam And Eve Didn’t Exist by italo: 2:31pm On Aug 09, 2013
Heatblast: shocked shocked these Christians are evolving fast, before we know it, they'll prove to their followers that evolution is in the bible, this would then allow the religion to last longer angry

The Catholic Church has never been against the idea of evolution. It is not against Catholic teaching.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Are The Teachings Of Jehovah Witnesses That Are Lies / Brazilian Gospel Singer Child Star, Jotta A Turns Transgender Female / I May No Longer Believe In God Existence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.