Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? (2344 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / !!!PROMO!!! 24HRS/7 Electricity Without Buying Petrol Or Diesel OR NEPA Or PHCN / Can One Pay Prepaid PHCN Bill Via E-banking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2013
Let's have your opinion on one of the problems Nigerians face while seeking shelter.

It goes like this...you move into new apartment, only to discover accumulated NEPA (PHCN) bill, probably accumulated by the previous tenant or from the monthly meter maintenance fee.

My question is...who's responsibility is it to settle this debt. Is it the tenant or the landlord or is it the responsibility of the NEPA to track their defaulting customer? The later is difficult considering the fact that nigeria has no data base of the citizens (as far as am concerned,nigeria doesn't know i existgrin ).

And in this era of prepaid meter system, one cannot buy credit until you offset the accumulated debt.

So should the NEPA (PHCN) forfeit such debt or should it be the responsibility of the landlord or the new and innocent tenant??
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by igochopurs(f): 7:46pm On Aug 08, 2013
This happened to me. NEPA was deducting it from my recharge payment, until I noticed and complained vigorously to the Landlord, he had to raise the case with NEPA and the bill was wiped off me.
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 08, 2013
igochopur$:
This happened to me. NEPA was deducting it from my recharge payment, until I noticed and complained vigorously to the Landlord, he had to raise the case with NEPA and the bill was wiped off me.
my dear, it's very rampant, lucky you...Some arent that lucky,they usually keep deducting.
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 08, 2013
centje: my dear, it's very rampant, lucky you...Some arent that lucky,they usually keep deducting.

well i did paid the bills in a way by giving my Tenant extra one month because the last occupant had 30k bills unpaid..so i asked the last tenant to cover the bills and included one month extra on his Tenancy period on a 3bedroom
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 08, 2013
eddiebruk:

well i did paid the bills in a way by giving my Tenant extra one month because the last occupant had 30k bills unpaid..so i asked the last tenant to cover the bills and included one month extra on his Tenancy period on a 3bedroom
wow! That's a good arrangement, most time landlords don't agree to bear the debt, they rather insist the new tenant pays.
...wish other landlords employs your method.
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Beync(f): 8:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
The landlord should offset the bill
The new tenant shouldn't

hello centj
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 08, 2013
Beync: The landlord should offset the bill
The new tenant shouldn't

hello centj
hi beync... Long time wink

Back to the topic, what about NEPA(I still call them NEPA coz i've seen no change) that should follow up their customers, and why should customers be charged maintenance fee every month(which usually lead to the accumulation),why not charge each time the customer comes for recharge...that way there would be less accumulation.

And once the new tenant cant recharge, due inability to pay another person's debt, they by pass the prepaid meter... who now loses
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Beync(f): 9:52pm On Aug 08, 2013
It's a very annoying situation when you find yourself there. Imagine paying for what you did not consume, in the right sense the landlord should sort himself out with NEPA.
NEPA in fact should bear most of the blame for bringing accumulated bill. Unfortunately, most of the times, it's the new tenant that usually bears the cost.. That's nigeria for u.
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
The old tenant. .. or NEPA should wipe it off.
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 09, 2013
SniperInADiaper: The old tenant. .. or NEPA should wipe it off.
sniper....how are you...

its difficult to track the old tenant
Re: Who Should Offset Accumulated NEPA (PHCN) Bill: Landlord, New Tenant Or NEPA?? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 09, 2013
centje: sniper....how are you...

its difficult to track the old tenant

Then NEPA should wipe it off grin

Im fine.. How is everything for you?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CHEAP LANDS at Elerangbe, Ibeju Lekki. N1,020,000 / The Relevance Of A Survey Plan In Land Litigation In Nigeria / How Much Will It Cost To Build This 2 Bedroom Flat (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.