Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Should America Be Bilangual? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should America Be Bilangual? (999 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should America Be Bilangual? by SeanT21(f): 9:57pm On Jun 02, 2008
there is a saying that goes if you are an american, you speak one language.

but tell me , should american as a country adapt to other languages, except English.

I personnally think is no use. Thats like telling Michael Jordan he needs to learn how to play football.

what do you think?
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by kenflipper(m): 10:28pm On Jun 02, 2008
If we are talking about the American advantage YES America should adopt a foreign language preferably spanish while english remains the standard or unifying language. Tho!, some might not dim it necessary cos' even with out adoption most Americans speak a variety of languages because of their diversity.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 6:16pm On Jun 03, 2008
they should because it would benefit a lot a people but sometimes i feel left out when i see some stores and signs in spanish. you'll think they would translate for the non-spanish speaking folks.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 03, 2008
SeanT21:

there is a saying that goes if you are an american, you speak one language.

but tell me , should american as a country adapt to other languages, except English.

I personnally think is no use. Thats like telling Michael Jordan he needs to learn how to play football.

what do you think?

Isn't it already bilingual . . , America already adopted Espagnol and French and Creole as their other lang.

Almost everywhere you go, everything you buy, directions, informations are written in this three languages. . .
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by savanaha: 6:25pm On Jun 03, 2008
I thought America didn't have a national language. I might be wrong though.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 7:20pm On Jun 03, 2008
technically, america doesn't have a national language.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by savanaha: 7:40pm On Jun 03, 2008
naija_diva:

technically, america doesn't have a national language.

O.K I was right. So there is no need to be bilingual since they accept most languages. Even Samolian language is now being widely accepted.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 7:45pm On Jun 03, 2008
savanaha:

O.K I was right. So there is no need to be bilingual since they accept most languages. Even Samolian language is now being widely accepted.

samolian as in someone from samoa or somalia(my eyes playing trincks on me, looking at this computer all day) cuz i never knew that.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by savanaha: 8:11pm On Jun 03, 2008
naija_diva:

samolian as in someone from samoa or somalia(my eyes playing trincks on me, looking at this computer all day) because i never knew that.

Oh sorry Somalia. There are some many Somalian refugees in some states that English, Spanish and the Somalian language is accepted and translated if needs be.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 8:22pm On Jun 03, 2008
savanaha:

Oh sorry Somalia. There are some many Somalian refugees in some states that English, Spanish and the Somalian language is accepted and translated if needs be.

oh i didn't know that (but obviously certain regions in the us have different nationalities who reside their) but i know here in MD/Dc a lot of stores/signs are translated in english, spanish and amharic (ethiopian language).
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by SeanT21(f): 12:03am On Jun 04, 2008
Just because a country translate directions/instructions into other languages for people who speak that language to understand doesn't mean that is Bilingual.

ENGLISH IS THE MAIN LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN AMERICA. I THINK AMERICA AS A WHOLE SHOULD ADAPT SPANISH AS ANOTHER LANGUAGE BECAUSE LATIN AMERICANS/SOUTH AMERICANS ARE THE FASTEST GROWING MINORITIES IN THE US.

People are saying that Spanish is going to take over English pretty soon in the states. i don't see that happening at all.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by Xiomarra: 6:18am On Jun 04, 2008
SeanT21:

Just because a country translate directions/instructions into other languages for people who speak that language to understand doesn't mean that is Bilingual.

ENGLISH IS THE MAIN LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN AMERICA. I THINK AMERICA AS A WHOLE SHOULD ADAPT SPANISH AS ANOTHER LANGUAGE BECAUSE LATIN AMERICANS/SOUTH AMERICANS ARE THE FASTEST GROWING MINORITIES IN THE US.

People are saying that Spanish is going to take over English pretty soon in the states. i don't see that happening at all.

Sorry dear. America is already bi-lingual. Have you been to the hospitals around the US yet? With over 14 million hispanics in the US. . . you can't stop that moving train.

Let the chips fall where they may. Not bothered by that at all. My sons have a "knack" for Puerto Rican girls. . .no problem there at all!

[size=15pt]BUENO![/size]
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by uspry1(f): 1:27pm On Jun 04, 2008
America has approximately 337 accepted languages. They have its own language translation services all over the US states in every US courthouses, schools, colleges/universities, hospitals, and any public places to provide people with nationalities.

Don't forget that it also has over 200 religions with 300 millions USA residents on 50 states plus US territories.

Go look at the category of the Languages of the America that has totalled 212 at below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Languages_of_the_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 6:30pm On Jun 04, 2008

no one ever said that it was bilingual. we are just saying that they(america) still manage to translate signs for other people.

i think it is. they are growing faster than ever.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by SeanT21(f): 9:42pm On Jun 04, 2008
naija_diva:

no one ever said that it was bilingual. we are just saying that they(america) still manage to translate signs for other people.

i think it is. they are growing faster than ever.

i dont want that to happen. I dont want to learn how to speak spanish. I do love them though.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 9:55pm On Jun 04, 2008
SeanT21:

i don't want that to happen. I don't want to learn how to speak spanish. I do love them though.

well i know in the county in MD where i live, you better start getting familiar with spanish cuz they taking over in everyones neighborhood.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by SeanT21(f): 10:00pm On Jun 04, 2008
i don't call it a taken over. They are just expanding their boundaries. I have live in places where there were no Spanish people(hagerstown) and now i live in north Carolina and there are many. I love the Latinos. I also love mexican food.

We all want the damn American dream.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 10:03pm On Jun 04, 2008
SeanT21:

i don't call it a taken over. They are just expanding their boundaries. I have live in places where there were no Spanish people(hagerstown) and now i live in north Carolina and there are many. I love the Latinos. I also love mexican food.

We all want the damn American dream.

oh i love them two. i've lived with hispanic neighbors my entire life. there was this panamian lady we called aunty doris, she was so nice but she had a carribean accents.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by SeanT21(f): 10:08pm On Jun 04, 2008
naija_diva:

oh i love them two. i've lived with hispanic neighbors my entire life. there was this panamian lady we called aunty doris, she was so nice but she had a carribean accents.

yes Hispanics are awesome. i love the way the Mexicans talk. it sound so funny but yet refreshing. I now have a funny Mexican boy in my class. he always cracks me up. On the first day of class, while introducing himself, he stood in front of the whole class and said quote" I'm Legal, i have my green Card". The whole class was rolling.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by naijadiva2(f): 10:12pm On Jun 04, 2008
SeanT21:

yes Hispanics are awesome. i love the way the Mexicans talk. it sound so funny but yet refreshing. I now have a funny Mexican boy in my class. he always cracks me up. On the first day of class, while introducing himself, he stood in front of the whole class and said quote" I'm Legal, i have my green Card". The whole class was rolling.

that right there was funny.
Re: Should America Be Bilangual? by Nwaka77: 3:16am On Jun 05, 2008
I thought it already is

(1) (Reply)

Interested In A 5 Day Tour To Ghana For Christmas? / Register For Your Toefl,gre,gmat And Sat Exam At Low Discount Rate / Houston Vs Corpus Christi, Which Is A Better Place To Live?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.