Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,907 members, 7,824,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles (1291 Views)

French TV Visits Innoson Automobile Manufacturing In Nnewi...Video! / Renewal/registration Of Vehicles @ the Cheapest Rate Ever Within 24hrs / Automobile Engineering / Body Shop In ABUJA (oven Baking Of Vehicles) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by colardey(m): 9:49am On Jun 03, 2008
Why do people find it easy to lie about the year of manufacturing of vehicles they have for sale
Is it because they consider Nairalanders as gullible or naive?
For example, is it posssible for a Camry 2003 to be manufactured in 2005 when the difference are so obvious: The light, The steering wheel, the 5-Speed transmission to mension but few.
I think we need to be truthful. The forum is about getting what you want easily not necassarily at an abnormally low price, but I mean getting what you want for as much as you have the what it takes to buy it.

Cheating will not always pay in the end. Give correct data about your vehicles. It's a matter of integrity.
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by jenju(m): 10:03am On Jun 03, 2008
colardey:

Why do people find it easy to lie about the year of manufacturing of vehicles they have for sale
Is it because they consider Nairalanders as gullible or naive?
For example, is it posssible for a Camry 2003 to be manufactured in 2005 when the difference are so obvious: The light, The steering wheel, the 5-Speed transmission to mension but few.
I think we need to be truthful. The forum is about getting what you want easily not necassarily at an abnormally low price, but I mean getting what you want for as much as you have the what it takes to buy it.

Cheating will not always pay in the end. Give correct data about your vehicles. It's a matter of integrity.

Please expose unscrupulous "dealers" who may have lied to you so that our forum will be sanitized. Most cars have their manufactured dates on the driver's side door panel. If the car was ever registered in the USA or Canada, post the VIN here and one of several forumites will do a carfax report for you, free of charge.

Most dealers here are honest.
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 4:55pm On Jun 05, 2008
[b][/b]guys, I would like to clearify something here,there is a big difrence between the year a Car was manufactured and the year it was registered for example the Rover 600 series was made between 1995 to 1999 then stopped, teh BMW has a series that began from 1991 up to 1998 then stopped,1999 to 2004 then stop then 2004 till date, so we must understand the terminology of what Model means and year of first registration means
for example, if a car was manufactured in 2001 but was left in show room for 15 months before its sold, how old do you think it is till date??
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by ziontrain: 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2008
erico2k2:

By and large, I think it's still better to stick with year of manufacture. It's basically the most reliable benchmark. You will agree with me that cars that sit on the lot for over a year without being sold are few and far between.

Colardey:

As for why people try to cheat with year of manufacture, it's all about greed and 'get rich quick' syndrome. You also have to understand that some people don't have scrupples and don't care about human lives at risk when they sell their salvaged, accidented and flooded vehicles. This is why we are trying to sanitise Nairaland.

If you see a dealer advertising vehicle without CARFAX or VIN number and saying he/she will send it to you privately later, be very suspicious! A good dealer will at least include one of these info in his/her posting. Having said this, you need to do your due diligence by matching the VIN number with the CARFAX report and also the VIN number on the car itself.

Let's hope all nairaland dealers will adhere to this standard. We seem to be making some progress now though.

One more thing - you can also try and match mileage with year of car. On the average, a car will travel approximately 15,000 miles in a year - can be a little bit less or a little bit more. If you see a 2002 car with 30,000 miles, be suspicious and make sure you get CARFAX report. That kind of mileage is a Red Flag!
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by colardey(m): 8:55am On Jun 06, 2008
Hi guys, my comment is to keep people on the alert and not to raise any suspicion on anything. I like being objective in my dealings and there is no way I would have raised such issue if it never happened. When it comes to business never trust easily unless proven right.
Similar thing hapened on monday with a dealer on VI. Don't be naive, let not your guard down in dealing with people like this. Immediately you suspect something, pause and ponder on it very well.
A camry with rear light red white red can not likely be 2005 model and I was able to prove the guy wrong only in grammar, because I still could not see any 2003 anywhere on the car. All seat belts label gone,maybe only an expert can discover that.
If you are buying a Nigerian used car, please call a mechanic to verify every claims because no CARFAX will be available to help. Thanks
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by nkc(m): 8:59am On Jun 06, 2008
COLARDEY

good to have yur opinion, it will help people around
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by cecegorz(m): 2:59pm On Jun 06, 2008
Well,
Most cars from 2000 upwards have 3 strategic places u can always check out the mfg. date

1.On the lower end of the seat belts (both sides of the car)
2. On the Engine hood interior
3. On the door frame edge

If by any means, you can't find a single date in either of these 3 places, something might just be fishy.
i personally once witnessed a dealer tearing off the seat belt date tag! Whatever he wants to achieve with that
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 3:30pm On Jun 06, 2008
Ziontrain, I agree with you there 100 % and as for you comment cecegorz, milage of a car does not and would not reflect its true age,deccember last year, I had a peugot 406 with just 49000 genuine miles on it, I rang the AA to do a data check and it came back correct and also I willl like to let you know that it cost just £30 to have your speedometer rewind back as much as you want here in the UK
The fact remains same, if you want to check the year a car is manufactured or registered, you can do this on line free of charge, I will look for the site and let you know, but it would be the UK and europe cars only sorry guys in Asia an Yankee
Re: Why People Lie About Manufacturing Date Of Vehicles by erico2k2(m): 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2008
http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/check/index.htm
hey guys try this site might help guys in yankee only if you got the VIN

(1) (Reply)

2006 Maxima / Pls How Much Is A Used 2006 Mazda 3 And 2004 Mazda 3 / Honda Crv Right Hand Drive: 2000 Model.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.