Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe (20888 Views)

The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe / The Collapse Of Lagos–abeokuta Expressway And The Lagos Intervention / FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates On Lagos-ibadan Expressway And River Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by AntiSerious: 3:36pm On Aug 13, 2013
they should find a way of minimising their services
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Neye1973: 3:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
I am a Christian and have visited the redemption camp several times. For me,the blame should be laid on he step of both the government and the church. I have also lived abroad,specifically in the UK and and I know what is obtain in the country.
1. Who gave approval to redeem to open and expand the redemption camp
2. What has government done to stem the tide of gridlock.
3. What is redeem leadership doing about it. Are they saying they don't know

For me I suggest that government should charge all the churches,mosques,industries and school along the Lagos- Ibadan corridor,use the the money to build overhead bridge or underground from say Berger to shagamu. Also,institute extra charges for people carrying cars every first Friday.speak with the leaders of the church cos religion is a big thing in this country. Am sure,if you ask any redeem member,they won't see anything wrong,so we it has to be managed well

Regards

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by deeptesting(m): 3:42pm On Aug 13, 2013
eGuerrilla:

While I would again make clear that the faith-based ministries along that axis have a duty of care to ensure the rights of travelers are not infringed upon, of course, I recognise that the main problem lies with town planning agencies who have failed to discharge their oversight functions. @AjanleKoko's illustrative post provides further confirmation that feasibility study on environmental impact is often jettisoned once money changes hands in our corrupt society.

I appreciate your thoughtful response to this matter, both the church and government agencies must work hand in hand to ease the pain experienced by commuters on that road, the church in this regard has a traffic management team which from all indication has been overwhelmed by their job thus the gridlock been experienced on that road despite their presence. Let the government agencies carry out their responsibility but I bet you they will not do anything because they don't want to fight God or money changes hand.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Intrepid1(m): 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
Sunnynwa: Joe IGBO kwe, those churches are headed by your hosts and you as a guest should not tell the host what to do in his land.

You are very stup.id for this daft statement. Don't Yoruba people ply that road as well? Should they suffer too? And for your information you cretin, that road is a Federal Highway and not property of any Yoruba man so sit down and shut up.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pastorprosper(m): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
Author of this is thread go and hug NIPP power plant. The church is marching on and foools like u can do nothing about it.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2013
pastor prosper :
Author of this is thread go and hug NIPP power plant. The church is marching on and foools like u can do nothing about it.

I am sure you are not a real pastor
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Oduduwaboy(m): 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
John 4:21 "Jesus said unto her, Woman,believe me the hour cometh,when ye shall neither in this mountain , nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the father. "

The problem of pentecostalism in Nigeria or the rest of the black race can be described as one of lack of knowledge. This problem emanates from an innate inability to process available information. There is an unbelievable level of disregard for reason and logic.

How many religious centres are in China? ....And yet we daily look to them for Aids .How many are in Japan etc. The old cathedral of Europe have become empty and yet they are progressing....and here we are allowing men to make merchandise of us.It is a pity!

Anyways mugus will always pay in foolish anticipation of miracles that never come. Build on RCCG till the day when "....not one stone will be left upon another ,..." (of the temple) matt 24.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pappilo(m): 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ola one:
I wonder oo.

Winners Chapel was chased out of Bermondsey by Council officials. Well, that na Obodo Oyinbo undecided

KICC attempted to set up shop in Dagenham, Essex just off the A13 on Thames Gateway land after they were sent packing from Stratford. Them pursue them quick. The local complained about effects on their lives and they were refused planning permission. Now they are based in the middle of nowhere in Chatham where they cant disrupt peoples lives.

In countries where things are done with sense, if your proposed business, new housing development, place of worship e.t.c is going to affect the lives of the local population, the developer is compelled to contribute a significant amount to the improvement of transport links, health centres e.t.c

For example, In Shepherds Bush, London, Westfield invested £200 million out of a total £1.7 billion project cost on transport improvements in the local area delivering a brand new Tube and Overground station.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Aarenaija: 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Do you expect a road built before my father got married forty years ago to still serve the purpose
it was meant to serve four decades ago?

So because of the short sightedness of our rulers people should be held to a point without development?

Let us say it the way it is, The government is a failure simple.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by tomber(m): 4:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
The population of ppl that attend prog at just rccg camp is so large tht even if the church is taken into the middle of the ocean traffic issues will follow her there. and of cos no wise politician wants to take the risk of offending such a no of ppl. even u.s no go dear am. for God sake millions of ppl gather for conventn there!!! like 3% d pop of nija fa.
me think the church and governmnt need work on d transport systm. road rail that will convey ppl there. since relgion is part of our life here d gov shud b ready to face challenges that come from relig i.e it a venture worth spending on.
well am aware j.b has a contract to expand d express and build flyover around d axis
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by raystanley(m): 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2013
THE MONEY DERIVED IN A DAY SERVICE IN ONE OF THOSE CHURCHES IS ENOUGH TO EXPAND THE LAGOS- IBADAN- EXPRESS WAY TO 15 LANE WAY... BUT THE GREEDINESS OF THOSE PASTORS WILL NOT LET THEM EVEN TO URGE AND ASSIST THE GOVERNMENT ON THE ROAD MATTER... PRECISES ITS THE ORDINARY PEOPLE WHO SUFFER's IT, WHILE AT THE OTHER END THEY LARVISH THEIR HAD EARN MONEY ON PRIVATE JETs...

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
pappilo:

KICC attempted to set up shop in Dagenham, Essex just off the A13 on Thames Gateway land after they were sent packing from Stratford. Them pursue them quick. The local complained about effects on their lives and they were refused planning permission. Now they are based in the middle of nowhere in Chatham where they cant disrupt peoples lives.

In countries where things are done with sense, if your proposed business, new housing development, place of worship e.t.c is going to affect the lives of the local population, the developer is compelled to contribute a significant amount to the improvement of transport links, health centres e.t.c

For example, In Shepherds Bush, London, Westfield invested £200 million out of a total £1.7 billion project cost on transport improvements in the local area delivering a brand new Tube and Overground station.

Even in Lagos, Bicourtney has been refused planning permission to convert the old Federal Secretariat into luxury flats and UAC were issued several "stop work" orders when they were renovating 1004, because the government was concerned about the effect the estate would have on the surrounding area.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Burgeo: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

The question is did they build the church on the road? Lagos-Ibadan road ought to be dualized to at lease accommodate 10 vehicles on each lane and ensure that all vehicles veering to these churches or whatever maintain a single lane...Where else should they locate this churches? I wish Joe Igbokwe proffered a solution in his write up. It's simply the failure of the government to live upto its responsibility and they should be held responsible for the sufferings and death of Nigerians on that road.

Mr man ,it is because of the mentality of people like you that my their country is still in this shape after years of independence from our slave master. you know the truth but you will not say it, WHY !!! .Must they suffer other road users to serve their God? Because some God of men and their ministry are involved makes you not to see the evil in their act.
My fellow nigerians ,its high time we free ourselves from all these mental slavery we are still in . God is spirit, God is every wher,you must not occupy our roads to worship him!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Burgeo: 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
pastor prosper :
SLAVE !! wher are u matching to?

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by occam(m): 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
Churches are not to blame. Nigeria is in the throes of a massive population explosion, but we refuse to plan to accommodate this. Now this is just one of the results.

There's intense pressure on infrastructure: roads, hospitals, market etc. When the expressway opened 29 yrs ago, our population was 64 million. Today it's 160 million and projected to reach 200 million in 10 yrs

Only mass transit and coordinated environmental planning (local, state & federal govt) can solve the problem. Political leaders know this, but can't see beyond the next election cycle to come up with long term solutions. Our leaders just "kick the can down the hill" and let the next President or Governor deal with the headache. Churches can only do short term fixes and beside they don't have legal authority to enforce regulations.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by AjanleKoko: 4:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
occam: Churches are not to blame. Nigeria is in the throes of a massive population explosion, but we refuse to plan to accommodate this. Now this is just one of the results.

How can you say churches are not to blame?
Will development in the area's infrastructure not work to their interest? Are the proponents of those churches not part of the community?

Truth is, the way churches operate in Nigeria is not different from the mentality of the larger society, as expressed by Jonathan's famous 'I don't give a damn' comment. Simply put, it is my money, I shall proceed to do whatever I feel like doing, and I really don't give a shyt what the rest of the land is feeling.

The God we worship in Nigeria is truly made in Nigeria, and He Doesn't Give a Damn angry undecided

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by occam(m): 4:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
AjanleKoko:

How can you say churches are not to blame?

Why did govt give permission to build those massive churches close to the only expressway out of Lagos?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pappilo(m): 4:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
naptu2:

Even in Lagos, Bicourtney has been refused planning permission to convert the old Federal Secretariat into luxury flats and UAC were issued several "stop work" orders when they were renovating 1004, because the government was concerned about the effect the estate would have on the surrounding area.

Good. So why was the same not done for the churches on the express road? You dont necessarily have to refuse planning permission but they can be told to build a 100,000 seater auditorium instead of a 1 million seater, asked to construct roads as part of their development e.t.c
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Afolabs101: 4:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
@eGuerilla - these churches stream their programmes online but people still insist in going to the programmes in person. You can not regulate the people that will come to your church programme. Will you advertise in the newspapers or give instructions to certain parishes that they are not allowed to come?

@topic -

1- There is free association of movement, so you can not reduce or control the people go to these services.
2- These churches do liaise with the FRSC and other govt agencies to try and reduce and control the traffic congestion.
3- Where else can these churches go? They must be on an expressway because of the large volume of people attending.
4- You can not tax a church because many people attend their site. You can place a toll on the road but there is no justification for taxing a church because lots of people attend. What about all the factories and all the trailers who ply the road.

The truth is we just have to grin and bear it and hope that govt fixes the road. Remember you don't need to tax the churches on that road because we already have enough provision for road construction and other infrastructure.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
This problem is evolving from white men mental enslavement to Nigeria made mental enslavement....didn't they claim God is everywhere? Must they worship God in Lagos and disturb industries and residential folks sharing the same environment with them?

They should take their church to Bauchi....Adeboye should preach in the boko haram camp. That is where we need the gospel not lagos where people are busy working for their daily bread. Adeboye should start preaching in Saudi Arabia. We need land for industries in Nigeria not church. We want more organisations that will benefit unemployed Nigerian and the economy not church. We have had enough in our street. We have had enough disturbance at our door step. This madness must stop

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2013
FOLYKAZE: This problem is evolving from white men mental enslavement to Nigeria made mental enslavement....didn't they claim God is everywhere? Must they worship God in Lagos and disturb industries and residential folks sharing the same environment with them?

They should take their church to Bauchi....Adeboye should preach in the boko haram camp. That is where we need the gospel not lagos where people are busy working for their daily bread. Adeboye should start preaching in Saudi Arabia. We need land for industries in Nigeria not church. We want more organisations that will benefit unemployed Nigerian and the economy not church. We have had enough in our street. We have had enough disturbance at our door step. This madness must stop

I thought this thread is about the congestion and not really an attack on the Church?
Why dont we stay focused on how to find a solution and not attack the person of the Pastors and the worshipers, anyone and everyone has the freedom to worship God as they chose . . .
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by GooseBaba: 4:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
Dominiquez: Imagine how IGBOKWE justified NASFAT cos his APC bosses are muslims. I foresee doom if APC take over power.
1) The will legalize child marriage
2)The will persecute the churches
3)Nigeria will be Islamized
4)Sharia law will be forced on us all.
5)Islamic banking will be order of the day.

We are watching.

Calm down.. No body can islama-tise or christianize Nigeria. Not in this life or the afterlife. But somebody can find a solution for dis-congesting the madness we call roads..stress alone in such holdup can even lead to high blood pressure that will lead to "after a brief illness"

Therefore we must focus on our collective reality and check mate our delusion.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by AZeD1(m): 4:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
I don't think the current structure at redemption camp is exactly what is was when they got planning/ building permission.
So those saying the town planning authorities are to blame should first find out the original plan submitted by the RCCG
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
pappilo:

Good. So why was the same not done for the churches on the express road? You dont necessarily have to refuse planning permission but they can be told to build a 100,000 seater auditorium instead of a 1 million seater, asked to construct roads as part of their development e.t.c

Different governments. I hold the view that the military governments of the 80s and 90s destroyed Lagos (particularly between 1988-1999). I believe that everybody that worked in the ministry of urban planning development during this era should be investigated by the EFCC. There have been attempts to restore the zoning system in recent years (http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/entities.php?k=188), but I don't think we can ever go back to what it was before 1988.

Also, remember that most of those structures are actually in Ogun State.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by ochukoccna: 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2013
pastor prosper :
Religious bigot, it seems you read your bible upside down
Did you read the article at all
Did he not mention NASFAT
Only that religious organisations especially churches are the biggest logjam contributors
God is not a lawbreaker
Jesus was not while on earth
Why are you?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
Afolabs101: @eGuerilla - these churches stream their programmes online but people still insist in going to the programmes in person. You can not regulate the people that will come to your church programme. Will you advertise in the newspapers or give instructions to certain parishes that they are not allowed to come?

@topic -

1- There is free association of movement, so you can not reduce or control the people go to these services.
2- These churches do liaise with the FRSC and other govt agencies to try and reduce and control the traffic congestion.
3- Where else can these churches go? They must be on an expressway because of the large volume of people attending.
4- You can not tax a church because many people attend their site. You can place a toll on the road but there is no justification for taxing a church because lots of people attend. What about all the factories and all the trailers who ply the road.

The truth is we just have to grin and bear it and hope that govt fixes the road. Remember you don't need to tax the churches on that road because we already have enough provision for road construction and other infrastructure.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Here are few more palliative measures:
(1) Stagger any revival that is likely to create congestion to run over a longer period.

(2) Broadcast the revival services live to linked sites in local churches (this way individual members do not have to worry about internet data plans or network connectivity issues.

(3) Reduce the amount of vehicular traffic during a revival by implementing an even/odd license plate policy (this was once in operation in Lagos state)

Here is an example:
Odd-even license plate policy
This car has an even end number, therefore it could not go on public road space every other day.
On July 20, 2008, Beijing implemented a temporary road space rationing policy, odd-even rationing policy, by allowing cars that have an even last number of their license plates to be able to drive on roads in one day while the cars that have an odd last number of their license plates could go on the road the next day in order to improve air quality in the city during the 2008 Summer Olympics.[2][3] This policy does not affect taxis, public buses, yellow-plate vehicles (vehicles with more than 9 seats inclusive), police vehicles and military vehicles.
-- Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_space_rationing_in_Beijing

(4) Provide extra road marshals and get tough! grin

Example:

Row: A traffic warden puts a ticket on a car as an old woman protests outside Our Lady and St Hubert church in Oldbury, West Midlands

Anger: Some churchgoers were seen arguing with the traffic wardens for up to half an hour after church

Rule change: The road has recently been turned into a red route, but the vicar said that they have not been consulted about the change

Anger: The road the church is down has recently been made into a red route so the cars are no longer allowed to parkSource

Swoop: The parking wardens put tickets on around five or six cars outside the church
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by oladapo83: 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2013
Is d road free weneva dia is no on-goin program in dos churches?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
^^^^^

You've just reminded me of a very funny incident. A guy came out of church on Good Friday to discover that his car was missing. I wish I could narrate the story in full.

He's used to parking on the sidewalk on Sundays (the Lastma enforcement team do not work on sundays), but this was a Friday. They had towed his car away!
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by musiwa1c: 5:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
it is so bad that Joe Igbokwe is allowed to use the internet. is it the duty of the church to fix the problem or the govt.

should ogun govt still wait, when ogun state govt should have solve the problem.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by larryburton: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
Neye1973: I am a Christian and have visited the redemption camp several times. For me,the blame should be laid on he step of both the government and the church. I have also lived abroad,specifically in the UK and and I know what is obtain in the country.
1. Who gave approval to redeem to open and expand the redemption camp
2. What has government done to stem the tide of gridlock.
3. What is redeem leadership doing about it. Are they saying they don't know

For me I suggest that government should charge all the churches,mosques,industries and school along the Lagos- Ibadan corridor,use the the money to build overhead bridge or underground from say Berger to shagamu. Also,institute extra charges for people carrying cars every first Friday.speak with the leaders of the church cos religion is a big thing in this country. Am sure,if you ask any redeem member,they won't see anything wrong,so we it has to be managed well

Regards

1. Who gave approval to redeem to open and expand the redemption camp :- Probably church/mosque member or corrupt town planner
2. What has government done to stem the tide of gridlock :- Nothing can be done
3. What is redeem leadership doing about it. Are they saying they don't know :- Happy and proud of expansion

Your idea of tax is good but they will evade the tax. How did they get permit? Genuine way or through bribe? Many religious leader has been caught with corruption what happen to them; nothing. "Do not touch My anointed ones" Nigerian are hypocrite. Bible say "Love your neighbor as yourself"; Hadith say "Love for your brother what you love for yourself". None of them follow what they preach.

Even if the road is expanded 10x it won't change the situation. Some member are above the law. Can any police challenge senator/rep or CEO of multinational for parking on the road? No structure should be allow within 1km from any highway. That may solve the problem. But who is going to do it. If Johnathan start Nasfat member will say because he is not a Muslim; and Deeper-life will be talking of denomination. If a Muslim try it Christian will see it religious bias. Whoever want to be sincerely solve the problem should start with his religious and denomination. And He should mind name calling; because Nigerian will baptized him/her with another bad names.

Heaven help those who help themselves. No amount of prayer will solve Nigeria problem until will rise up to the situation. It has alway been "Work and Pray" not "Pray and Fold arm"

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by onegig(m): 6:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
naija_swag: The name Joe Igbokwe attracted me to this post. Whom the gods want to kill they make him go mad. This is a man that has been in the news because of a gang up against his brothers. This is a real efulefu. Now he has taken his battle against the churches. CAN should reply him, I am very confident that the CAN president who is ever vibrant will have something good to say to him.

I remember reading Awolowo's Awo where the gods fought for themselves by killing a man who killed fishes in a certain River. An attack on churches is an attack on God. God will fight the war himself.

The last time I travelled from Lagos, the president was commissioning the construction of this same road at Sagamu interchange. Am sure Joe should be aware of that. Or is it just the hypocrisy of being in another party which is not the ruling party that has blinded his eyes or made him deaf to read or hear about the awarded contract on the news...

Joe Igbokwe, I weep for you.
i don't normally abuse people but sir you are a real fo.ol for posting this. Instead of you to address the message you go on talking like a rabid dog. If you had ever spent numerous hours on that road just because a religious organisation wants to organize a programme then you would understand better what this is all about imp.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
NIGERIAN CHURCHES
GIVE NUTHING, CONTRIBUTE NUTHING
TAKE EVERYTHING

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NDLEA Makes U-turn On Buruji Kasamu: Will Vacate Residence / Jonathan’s Camp, Senators Kick As Sheriff Leads PDP / Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.