Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,384 members, 7,853,705 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:08 PM

Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election (784 Views)

Patrice Talon Wins Benin Presidential Election / French President's Camel Killed And Eaten In Mali / The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by daik(m): 3:42pm On Aug 13, 2013
Bamako – The former Malian Prime Minister, Mr , Ibrahim Keita, accepted his presidential election victory, after rival Soumaila Cisse conceded defeat in a run-off vote that Malians hope will bring stability and democracy to the country.

“You have done this not for yourself, not for me, but for the good of Mali. Your visit was a symbol of the new Mali,” Keita told Cisse on Malian television.

Earlier in the evening, Cisse had visited the former prime minister in his Bamako home to congratulate him on his second round win.

“You are my big brother, and so it is the role of the little brother to congratulate the eldest for his victory,” said Cisse, Keita’s spokesperson Mamadou Camara said.

Although official results were not yet released, the former finance minister conceded defeat after radio stations had broadcast partial vote counts, showing a major lead for Keita.

Widely known by his initials “IBK”,Keita won double the number of votes as Cisse in the first round of voting on July 28, and received endorsements from nearly all of the other candidates from the first round.

European and African election observers declared the elections to be “credible and transparent”.

The election is pivotal to helping Mali end a period of instability as it attempts to recover from a military coup last year

and an Islamist insurgency that prompted France to send troops to its former colony.

France launched a military operation in January to stop the militants from advancing towards Bamako, the capital and largest city.

A UN peacekeeping force is deploying to replace some 3,200 French troops in Mali.

Keita was the only candidate who did not criticise the March 2012 military coup and is considered to be favoured by the army.

Some four billion dollars in development and reconstruction aid should now flow to Mali from the international community, which made a democratically elected government key to unlocking the promised funds.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/keita-wins-mali-presidential-election
Re: Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by Chanchit: 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
Look @ how someone just conceed defeat, if its my dear country, even if I lose d vote by 100% I would still head to court.
Re: Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by Longeria(m): 7:00pm On Aug 13, 2013
That's what Buhari and Tinubu should do after losing 2015 election. I don't want to see an old man crying like a new born baby
Re: Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by seanet02: 9:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
Longeria: That's what Buhari and Tinubu should do after losing 2015 election. I don't want to see an old man crying like a new born baby
In this case, there was no open iwuruwuru
Re: Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by chukjojo(m): 1:27am On Aug 14, 2013
seanet02:
In this case, there was no open iwuruwuru
What language is this?
please in Soumaila Cisse's voice explain.
Re: Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by seanet02: 1:32am On Aug 14, 2013
chukjojo:
What language is this?
Re: Keita Wins Mali Presidential Election by seanet02: 1:33am On Aug 14, 2013
chukjojo:
What language is this?
So you never heard "iwuruwuruwu" before?

(1) (Reply)

Ariel Castro, Ohio Man Who Held 3 Women Captive For 10 Years Commits Suicide / Man Finds His Stolen SUV With Help From Google Earth / Israeli Troop Exit From Gaza Without Achieving All Goals Bodes War Of Attrition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.