Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,827 members, 7,851,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:31 AM

AU Observer Mission To Zimbabwe: The True Story - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / AU Observer Mission To Zimbabwe: The True Story (505 Views)

Zimbabwe’s Mugabe Shouts “we Are Not Gays!” During U.N. Speech / Mugabe Blasts Nigeria At AU Summit For “Betraying” Africa / From King Lobengula To Zimbabwe: How The British Tried To Steal The Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

AU Observer Mission To Zimbabwe: The True Story by leadersseries: 10:29am On Aug 17, 2013
The letter conveying my appointment as a member of the African Union (AU) Observer Mission to Zimbabwe came as I was planning to jet out to South Africa. I was not really hoping to receive any such letter, because since I left office as governor in 2007 I have spent time rebuilding my businesses that were almost destroyed by the antics of politicians. So, the first thought that came to my mind was to turn down the offer and continue my trip to South Africa, then back to Abuja and proceed to the United States.
However, on a second thought, I decided within me to accept the offer; at least the trip would afford me the rare opportunity of meeting face-to-face for the first time with the octogenarian iron man of Zimbabwe, Dr. Robert Mugabe – who has ruled the country for over 33 years – in order to confirm or dismiss the outrageous things I have heard about him and his country.
After the initial hesitation, I accepted the offer. We arrived in Harare International Airport on July 24, 2013, settled down and started work immediately. We were 60 members, drawn from the 54-member states, on the African Union Election Observer Mission to the Harmonized Election in the Republic of Zimbabwe. We held a number of meetings to internalize the guidelines provided by the African Union Commission in accordance with the African Charter on Democracy, Election and Governance 2007 and the OAU/AU Declaration on the Principles Governing Democratic Elections in Africa 2002. We also held some strategy-sessions and rehearsed critical aspects of the role we were expected to play to ensure a successful assignment.
The delegation was led by former Nigeria’s Head of State, His Excellency Olusegun Obasanjo. His leadership skills, including his friendship with Zimbabwe and other old horses, came to the fore. He was supported by the Deputy Head of the Mission, Her Excellency Dr. Aisha Abdullahi, Commissioner for Political Affairs at the African Union Commission. Other members were drawn from the Pan-African Parliament, African Ambassadors to the AU in Addis Ababa, Election Management Bodies (EMBs), and Civil Society Groups. There were also other independent monitors, including COMESA. COMESA’s role was visible and effective since Zimbabwe was one of its members. The Southern Africa Development Commission (SADC) issued a benchmark and basis of observation to its Observer Mission. Just as our own mission they were expected to ensure that some specific conditions were put in place prior to the staging of the elections. They included non-discrimination in voter registration, legal and constitutional guarantees for enforcement of freedoms and rights of voters, adherence to timelines in the announcement of the date for the elections, designing mechanisms for the effective deployment of the various observer missions, agreeable environment for the conduct of smooth, free, fair and peaceful elections, and counting of the results at the polling stations.
These preconditions were substantially met before, during and after the elections, which led to the successful conduct of the elections.
We (the AU Mission) used the Long Term Observation Methodology, which covers the pre-election, election and post-election phases, in measuring the quality of the elections.
Before our deployment to the 10 provinces that make up Zimbabwe to observe the first stages of the campaigns, pre-polling activities and polling and counting in the 350 voting stations, we had met and interacted with relevant authorities and various stakeholders, including the election umpire – The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC), presidential candidates, political parties, government officials and civil society groups. One significant feature of the Zimbabwean Harmonized Elections was the level playing field provided by ZEC for each presidential candidate and political party. Contrary to media reports on the state of affairs in Zimbabwe what I saw was quite the opposite: I saw a nation in which the citizens were eager to participate in the electoral process and contribute meaningfully to its economic recovery. Many commentators and analysts had passed judgement on Zimbabwe without first taking a trip to the place to ascertain the true situation. I used to think like them until I went and saw things by myself.
I wish to state with every sense of duty and without equivocation that the elections we monitored were free, fair and peaceful. I saw everything that transpired and can defend my position any time.
In fact, the victory of President Mugabe was a product of an extraordinary strategizing. While his major challenger concentrated his effort on the cities, especially in Harare where the elite reside, Mugabe focused on the rural areas – targeting farmers that account for over 40 per cent of eligible voters. Mugabe is a saint among the rural farmers. They see him as their liberator from the neo-imperialism of the separatist whites that ruled the country before independence. Today, these farmers have had their land, expropriated by the whites, returned to them.
Let me dwell briefly on the day of the elections: it was a beautiful day – the weather was clement. We set out for our duty posts with great expectation. At the polling stations we observed that no government official or top political brass, except the poling agents of the political parties, was allowed to come near the station. This was the practice in the whole country. This contrasts sharply with what obtains in Nigeria, where politicians accompanied by security personnel intimidate and molest voters and agents on the day of election. What about impostors and thugs? They were not allowed near the polling or collation station. This is one aspect of election Nigeria must copy and enforce.
An average Nigerian can attest that we have hardly had any genuine elections in Nigeria. What we have always had is selection of candidates, which often causes undue tension and bad-blood. The voters were quite orderly and adhered to instructions given by the electoral staff. Vehicular movement was impressively minimal and controlled by the relevant authorities. Imagine if it were in Nigeria! It is usually an eyesore on an election day in Nigeria. All kinds of unauthorized persons and vehicles move about uncontrolled. Of particular mention is the attitude of elected officials. These people under the guise of monitoring elections commit atrocious acts against the electoral law and the people of Nigeria. Why should a governor go about with a retinue of aides, accompanied with a large contingent of fierce, gun-wielding security operatives on an election day? He complements it with an APC (Armoured Personnel Carrier). In this circumstance, what would anybody expect to happen? Chaos!
So, as part of the amendment to the constitution and the Electoral Law, deliberate effort should be made to plug all the loopholes politicians exploit to compromise elections.
Now back to the Zimbabwean elections. As indicated earlier, the turnout for the elections was very impressive. The young, old and, even, the disabled – all trooped out to exercise their franchise. The electoral staff was quite efficient and committed. They conducted themselves decorously and attended every need of the voters with patience and understanding. Beyond my expectation, some of the staff of the Zimbabwean Electoral Commission spent days in the field without bathing or any form of luxury. They exhibited unparalleled sense of duty and patriotism, which substantially led to the success that the elections were. The electoral commission provided sufficient materials and mobility for the elections. Accreditation began as scheduled, while voting went on smoothly. On completion of voting the results were taken to the collation centres in the full glare of everybody present. The collation was dutifully done and results announced promptly.
The election monitors were always alive to their duty and rearing to go at every turn. Our team was blessed with qualified and efficient men and women. But I cannot fail to place on record the unparalleled commitment shown by the Chairman of the AU Commission, Her Excellency Dr. Nkosazano Dlamini Zuma, and the Deputy Head of Mission and Commissioner for Political Affairs, Her Excellency Dr. Aisha Abdullahi. They were really professional and efficient in the discharge of their duties. Other members of the AU Observer Mission demonstrated equal zeal and enthusiasm to see that everything went as planned.
The Civil Society Groups, individual observers from all over the world, journalists and other functionaries were exceptional in their performance.
Politicians and political parties went about their business without any molestation or intolerance. Before the elections they were constantly briefed by the electoral commission and given all the statutory logistic support. Zimbabwean politicians are of a special breed. They carried themselves with honour and accommodated one another, even though they were rivals. This is why I find some comments against the elections detestable and fabricated to smear the integrity of the entire elections. What anybody who feels aggrieved should do is seek redress in the court of law, not to engage in any self-help.
From what I saw, nobody can win the presidency in Zimbabwe without the support of farmers and the rural populace. This was where Mugabe’s challenger missed the point. It is not enough to whip up sentiments among the city elite; you need also the support of the rural people. Do not forget that Mugabe is an old horse and knows the intricacies involved in a presidential election. He also knows how to reach out to the farmers and other rural dwellers to clinch the coveted trophy. That is why he would continue to win any day elections are held.
Another point worth mentioning is that the opposition spends too much time trying to tarnish the image of Mugabe instead of doing what is needful to turn the table on him. By the time election proper reaches they find themselves left with little time, but much work to be done.
My position on Mugabe and the elections is a personal observation. It is not the opinion of the AU Observer Mission to Zimbabwe. Mugabe may have an axe to grind with some persons or countries. Nevertheless, this does not obliterate the fact that the elections on July 31, 2013 in that country were free and fair.
This brings us to the future of Zimbabwe. It is a country that is currently steeped in all kinds of crises, occasioned by its frosty relationship with most of the countries in the West. I think Mugabe at 89 years should ceasefire and think about the way forward for his country which, at present, is a pariah state to most countries of the world. He should come to the realization of the need to groom a successor who will return Zimbabwe to the global arena. By being in the bad books of the West Zimbabwe loses needed financial and technical aid from the outside world. There is no way Zimbabwe can make global impact with its economy comatose.
Now what lessons for Nigeria? I have already mentioned some of the benefits above, but let me state here again that it is high time Nigeria got it right in the way it conducts its elections. We need to understudy Zimbabwe, Mali and Senegal that had successfully held elections of recent. Each of these countries has succeeded in meeting one of the critical criteria for doing business with the West. Democratization and sustainbale democracy are two unique factors that define relations between any African nation and the West. Interestingly, military interventions in Africa are gradually easing off, creating the required ambience for doing business with the West. I am not unmindful of some flashpoints in select countries in Africa – where the military still finds some relevance.
In Nigeria, democracy is steadily taking root. However, building strong democratic institutions to deal with the exigencies of our current political life still begs for attention. Personalization of some elected offices is a dangerous trend in our polity. Elected officials should see the offices they hold as the property of the people, not their personal estates. It is this mindset that is responsible for the attempt by some of them to perpetuate selves in power. Zimbabwean politicians, especially the opposition do not see politics as a do-or-die affair as is the case in Nigeria. Our politicians should be tolerant of one another’s views and engage in constructive activities to promote good governance and democracy.
The use of thugs and the penchant for bribing electoral commission officials should cease in Nigeria. Again, the use of government offices for collation of election results should be discountenanced. Rather public schools should be used for such a crucial national assignment. It is the use of government offices for collation of results that creates the lacuna for rigging. In any case, the Independent National Electoral Commission ((NEC) has a responsibility to go to Zimbabwe and other countries in Africa that just held free and fair elections to see what areas they can collaborate to make the 2015 elections in Nigeria free, fair and credible. We cannot afford another round of charade in the name of election.
The politicians and the security agents must be reoriented to see their roles in any election as critical to the success of that election. They should be made to understand the enormous duty they owe this nation to make it survive.We should not allow the prophecies by some prophets of doom to come to pass, because of our selfish interests. We should place nation first in anything we do in order to profit from the enormous benefits that accrue to any nation that conducts free, fair and credible elections.
As far as the July 31 elections in Zimbabwe were concerned, they were free, fair and credible. Anybody that feels otherwise should go to the court of law.
I thank the AU Commission for giving me the opportunity to serve Africa. I thank my colleagues in the delegation for a job well done, as I look forward to working with you in future.

Re: AU Observer Mission To Zimbabwe: The True Story by otokx(m): 10:55am On Aug 17, 2013
Nice write up and a lesson to APC,PDM,APGA.
Re: AU Observer Mission To Zimbabwe: The True Story by Caleboha(m): 11:34am On Aug 17, 2013
Democracy could embrace sentiments as much as it loves competence. It is never a function of academic qualification, age, gender or race, rather its about the people, their perception of what is right and how they want the game played! Mugabe played d game better, no matter how old and paralytic he is, he is still very potent in the electoral field. Nigerian opposition should realise that sentiments in our country is deep-rooted and desist from making reckeless unguarded statements if they really desire to unseat the PDP. They must realise that not up to 50% of the electorates give a f**k what propaganda they blow up in d media because (as much as I hate to admit it) sentiments hold key in Nigeria just as it does in Zimbabwe!

(1) (Reply)

UN Rights Council And Russia Say Syria Gas Attack Videos, Photos Fake / Syria: US Starts Delivering Weapons To Rebels / United Airlines Pilot Dies Of Heart Attack After Emergency Landing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.