Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Alienation Of Affection - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alienation Of Affection (1649 Views)

Poll: what say ye?

Law should be abolished: 50% (1 vote)
Good law should be upheld: 50% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alienation Of Affection by sheniqua: 3:16am On Jun 07, 2008
What do nairalanders think about this law that's still in place in a few states of the USA Where a spouse can sue someone for "snatching" away their wife of husband  and many are taking advantage of it and winning big,
A missisippi plumber earlier in the year won over $750,000 against a millionaire who snatched away his wife and married her and all the appeals have been upheld.

When Sandra Valentine divorced her husband, Johnny, and married the man who had fathered her child during an affair, it had every appearance of another unremarkable tale of marital breakdown.
But when Johnny hit back and sued his rival Jerry Fitch for a six-figure sum, the Mississippi love triangle took on an altogether different dimension. And when he won in a verdict upheld by the state supreme court, he was suddenly richer to the tune of £750,000.
Valentine took advantage of a quirk in the law in Mississippi which, like six other US states, allows claims of "spousal theft": if a man - or perhaps even a woman - takes another's property, ie their spouse, they can be sued.

So Johnny Valentine sued Fitch under the state's "alienation of affection" law, which allows a cuckolded spouse to seek damages for "loss of society, companionship, love and affection", as well as "the loss of sexual relations

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jan/10/usa.danglaister

what do y'all think?
Re: Alienation Of Affection by itstpia8: 6:20pm On Nov 04, 2015
hm
Re: Alienation Of Affection by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 22, 2016

1 Like

Re: Alienation Of Affection by 5minsmadness: 2:23pm On Oct 22, 2016
merahki:
hey @ 5minsmadness
grin
My net caught an unexpected fish grin

No, it wasnt you i was referring to... Though now of course i'll be looking out for your posts and language syntax to figure out what your alternate moniker was!

Its one of those bitter women association babes on the family section i was referring to. She used to be a feminist, very anti-male and very insulting, in fact she was the first person to be rude to me on this forum. However she later fell in love and simmered down a bit, got married, and then found out feminism wasnt practicabe in marriage,, her husband cheated on her and she saw that divorce wasnt as easy as she advised here online. She got an alternate moniker to hide her shame and was found out. Since then she has made two other monikers. Hence S. U. B. wink

How do i know all this? Honestly i found out by mistake. Also i know her writing style. I guess i kind of feel sorry for her and all that happened, am sensitive that way. I may argue and stuff online but i really wish everyone, friend and foe alike, end up living happily ever after.

Hope i have matched you rant for rant so you dont feel 'subdued' grin
Re: Alienation Of Affection by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 22, 2016
Lol

1 Like

Re: Alienation Of Affection by 5minsmadness: 5:13pm On Oct 22, 2016
merahki:
Lol
My apologies again....
...and for keeping it there...SMH...will catch you and store one day too...but I don't want it saved, however cute or wimpy it may be..please?
I am gonna read "midnight notes" now tongue
You could never find out what my username was...not even as a dare...so don't bother
Ciao
(For 5minsmadness)

But i really liked it sad
Oh all right. Will delete.
I doubt you'll understand that diary, too randomly updated.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Solved!! / The City Of Ibadan / Intellectual Ignorance Is Destroying The Intellectual Culture Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.