Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,995 members, 7,852,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:04 PM

Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa (560 Views)

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt / Rivers Govt: Amaechi’s Refusal To Appear Before Panel Is Admission Of Guilt. / Ibim Semenitari Reacts To The "Invasion" Of Her Home By Rivers Govt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa by dewale2k: 7:10am On Aug 20, 2013
The First Lady, Patience Jonathan, has expressed unhappiness with officials of the Rivers State government for failing to pay the “first family” a condolence visit after the death of her mother.

Mrs. Jonathan lost her stepmother, Charity Oba, in a fatal car crash last month.

In a statement issued by Ayo Adesugba, Director of Information, Office of the First Lady, Monday, Mrs. Jonathan noted that only people from outside her home state paid them condolence visits.

“It should be noted that while several groups and individuals from across the country came to condole the first lady and Mr. President on the death of her mother, no official of Rivers state government deemed it fit to pay the first family condolence visit, yet they claimed the first lady is a daughter of Rivers state.

“He who must go to equity must go with clean hands. They should learn to give respect to those who deserve respect so that they too can earn respect,” Mrs. Jonathan said.

Mrs. Jonathan also reacted angrily to media reports claiming that she snubbed Tele Ikuru, the Rivers State Deputy Governor, at the Port Harcourt International Airport on her arrival on Sunday.

Mr. Ikuru had reportedly gone to welcome the First Lady at the airport but was barred from getting near her.

“The reports, by all indications, represent a contrived motive of some gladiators in the Rivers state crisis to continue to paint the first lady as an aggressor,” Mrs. Jonathan said.

“Ordinarily, the wife of the state governor receives the first lady whenever she visits any state. That is why the wife of Bayelsa State Governor travelled from Yenagoa to receive the first lady,” the statement said.

Mrs. Jonathan’s visit to Port Harcourt, last June, generated public outrage after security officials blocked major streets in the city during her seven day stay, grinding the city’s vehicular traffic to a halt.

Also, President Goodluck Jonathan’s widely publicized and protracted power tussle with Rotimi Amaechi, the Rivers State Governor, which had thrown the state into crisis, had done little to mend fences between the state and the presidency.

“In addition, as a daughter Rivers state, the first lady is free to visit the state any time she desires. But we are forced to ask: why the presence of the first lady in Rivers state always generate rumpus?”

Mrs. Jonathan further stated that she had deliberately refrained from commenting on the Rivers State crisis.

“It should be clear to all that for quite some time now, the first lady has refrained from commenting on issues relating to the Rivers state crisis while these gladiators have continued to use every media at their disposal to fan the embers of disharmony and hatred,” Mrs. Jonathan said.

“By now, every right thinking person should know those genuinely interested in peace and those who claim to be democrat and committed to peace, but who have continued to heat up the polity.

“It is for this reason of the intrigue at play that the first lady would want to be left out of Rivers state crisis, hence making her visit to the state as quiet as possible, so as not to give room for mischief makers to succeed in their pla
ns,” Mrs. Jonathan added.
Source premiumtimesng.com/news/143068-amaechi-other-rivers-govt-officials-failed-to-paid-me-condolence-visits-says-patience-jonathan.html

Re: Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa by wellmax(m): 8:56am On Aug 20, 2013
Re: Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa by slimfit1(m): 9:01am On Aug 20, 2013
Go chop igbe, you are lucky oh I wouldn't let my wife come two inches next to you. First lady, your stupidity is contagious. You are not the first person that will become the first lady joor get out.
Re: Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa by slimfit1(m): 9:08am On Aug 20, 2013
Where is the law that says she has to visit you, it doesn't concern us what ever happens in your family, its a private matter.
Re: Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa by egift(m): 9:51am On Aug 20, 2013
"My fellow widows".
Re: Amaechi, Other Rivers Govt Officials Failed Topaid Me Condolence Visits, Says Pa by OAM4J: 10:04am On Aug 20, 2013

(1)

2015: Why I Support Jonathan’s 2nd Term, By Tafawa Balewa / Why We Picked Ngige-okorocha / Poverty Disease In Relation To Nigeria & Her People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.