Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Content Theft By Information Nigeria - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Content Theft By Information Nigeria (853 Views)

Identity Theft / Book Publishing And Intellectual Property Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Content Theft By Information Nigeria by thinka2: 8:30am On Aug 20, 2013
Haba, this is bad for a media house that claims to be No 1 information portal

An article titled "Nigerian Celebrities Whose Marriages Have Stood The Test Of Time" with link http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/08/celebrities-with-lasting-marriages.html was seen on another site, INFORMATION NIGERIA, with same caption http://www.informationng.com/2013/08/nigerian-celebrities-whose-marriages-have-stood-the-test-of-time.html as written by one Tolu

The article which was published on our site on Friday, 2nd of this month is www.tutubranch.com's original content but the article was sighted on their site
later without reference or acknowledgment to its source or author. You will agree with me that this is plagiarism. It was copied with exact content and pictures- word for word and image for image!

As the Chief Editor of www.tutubrtanch.com, I wrote a letter to them demanding an apology, specifically stating that: “We do not have issues with you appreciating our works but we hope your lofty organization can express more dignity in future”. This E-mail that was sent to them was not replied. Likewise, tags and tweets sent to @infonaija on twitter were shunned.

This is gross disrespect and lack of value for other people’s intellectual contents. I used to have so much respect for this website and was one of the very first people who sent links from their site to friends and colleagues before commencing work on www.tutubranch.com. Even when the owner was nominated for the Future Awards, I was one of the very first who congratulated him on-line despite the fact that I do not know him personally.

Nairaland is one of the best platforms on-line whereby one’s write-ups and sites are acknowledged; which is why a lot of Nigerian Bloggers and music sites choose to post their contents and links. The moderators will not only publish such articles; they would also move them to the front-page if it is “front-page worthy”. Also, they will boldly include the name of the site and the “click-able” back-link to it. Now, that’s fantastic, despite the fact that the site is a forum!

You will agree with me (for some of us who have on-line platforms) that building an online platform is challenging and tedious with time, resources, electricity, internet connection and communication posing itself as one of the greatest challenges. Being a young Nigerian Corps member, these challenges are further heightened by the near-rural setting in Niger State where I found myself contributing my quota in my Place of Primary Assignment (PPA). Yet, is it not better to do something worthwhile with what I have passion for as a Mass Communicator than to engage myself in “no-gloryfing” activities?

With bloggers and on-line writers like Linda Ikeji, Gistyinka, Ladun Liadi, Kemi Filani, Laila Ikeji and so on borrowing information from each other and editing them properly, it is rather ridiculous that a site which claims to be No 1 information site in Nigeria will just pull original content from another site, copy and paste it without any sort of referencing. We respect some of the most powerful media brands like Vangurd, Punch, Guardian, Thisday, Complete Sports, Encomium, City People and few others who are the usual go-to in term of authentic information and content. And so, despite re-writing their content, we still deem it fit to also acknowledge them in our write ups.

This niche is true, “Content owner is king and it’s good to pay due acknowledgement to who deserves it”.

http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/08/information-nigeria-intellectual-theft.html

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Neduzze5(m): 9:05am On Aug 20, 2013
Front page things please.

Let's deal with this menace called Plagiarism

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by yemi2plus(m): 9:15am On Aug 20, 2013
Neduzze5: Front page things please.

supported. Where is mynd?

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by dotunmanmp7: 9:50am On Aug 20, 2013
That's very bad...and they didn't reply?,pride o what?
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by yunfazz: 9:50am On Aug 20, 2013
Neduzze5: Front page things please.

Strongly supported all the way! If someone is jobless u will hear, why didn't u find work to do...
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Gracedpen: 10:13am On Aug 20, 2013
:- grin"No. 1 website in Africa"...Such plagiarism is the "419" version of blogging...and yes, it should be checked. EFCC plz....front page tnz...!

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Okijajuju: 3:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
So what do you want us to do for you?!

a. Riot.

b. Burn their office.

c. Use juju and cripple the Editor of the Magazine.

d. Comment for the sake of commenting.

e. COntribute money to sponsor your case against the Newspaper.

Which is it?!

#Grabs a copy of HINTS Magazine to find out whats happening in Aso-Rock
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2013
It's a case of pride. They probably thought no one will notice. Just like Sanusi Lamido Sanusi stole the work of a man based in America and thought the man won't find out

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by chistar01(m): 4:38pm On Aug 20, 2013
Reserved for when this hits front page. grin
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by chistar01(m): 4:39pm On Aug 20, 2013
SMH... Plagiarism has really eaten deep into the fabric of the nation....

*dials EFCC number*

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Clemzy16(m): 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
"Plagiarism is bad. It kills intellect and discourage writers."

"it's alarming how a piece of article spreads all over the internet without anyone knowing who is the rightful author."

"some persons copy other peoples work even with their typos. Isn't that weird??!"

"i personally thinks plagiarism should be discouraged at all levels...also the government should do something about it."

™ƺƔcιεмεηт®

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Madawaki01(m): 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2013
Even information Nigeria?
I giv up
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by yemi2plus(m): 9:23pm On Aug 20, 2013
Madawaki01: Even information Nigeria?
I giv up
just imagine, a site with good reputation.
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Dhortunn(m): 10:01am On Aug 21, 2013
I've been writing some works lately but things like this don't encourage peeps to want to drop their piece. Something should be done fast about this crap please. FRONT PAGE!!!!

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by princesa(f): 3:33pm On Aug 23, 2013
The worst hit is with this ASUU and FG ish, every mofo who owns a blog or something, just circulate the same content, with the same headline from another bloody mofo angry

And at the end, they are all bloody liars, spewing fake shit everywhere! angry

#goes to practice my 'La femme Nikita' move# angry#

idi.ots!!

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by yemi2plus(m): 4:25pm On Aug 23, 2013
princesa: The worst hit is with this ASUU and FG ish, every mofo who owns a blog or something, just circulate the same content, with the same headline from another bloody mofo angry

And at the end, they are all bloody liars, spewing fake shit everywhere! angry

#goes to practice my 'La femme Nikita' move# angry#

idi.ots!!
can't you communicate with English?
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by princesa(f): 6:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
yemi2plus2:
can't you communicate with English?
did i just speak German? angry
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by yemi2plus(m): 7:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
princesa:
did i just speak German? angry
something more like chinese
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by ninja4life(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2013
Plagarism everwhere even in our universities.smh
Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by yemi2plus(m): 9:31am On Aug 24, 2013
When will this thread make front page?

1 Like

Re: Content Theft By Information Nigeria by Madawaki01(m): 8:27pm On Aug 25, 2013
yemi2plus2: When will this thread make front page?
wen semid4life and mukina deem it fit to

(1) (Reply)

My Weird Short Play. / Abiku / Recommend A Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.