Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,450 members, 7,812,378 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies (7167 Views)

FEC Holds Valedictory Session For Ocholi / Valedictory Session Of The 7th Senate (pictures) / Valedictory Session Of The Federal Executive Council (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by ccwizard: 8:41am On Aug 20, 2013
THE Rivers State government officials Monday shunned the valedictory ceremonies in honour of retiring Chief Judge, Justice Ichechi Nwenenda Ndu.

At the event, Justice Ndu noted that the judiciary is facing a perilous time ahead of 2015 and has urged judges to remain fearless.

Top state government officials, including Governor Chibuike Amaechi, his Deputy, Tele Ikuru, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Worgu Boms, Speaker of the House of Assembly and others were conspicuously absent at both the church service and court session held respectively in honour of the retiring CJ in Port Harcourt yesterday.

The absence of state officials might not be unconnected with the political crisis rocking the state since April and the politics of appointment of the acting Chief Judge, Justice Daisy Okocha.

During the valedictory court session held at the conference hall of the state judiciary, the moderator of the ceremony skipped the address that ought to have been delivered by the Attorney General and the goodwill message by Governor Amaechi. Both officials who were listed on the programme of event did not send representatives.

An official at the Government House in Port Harcourt told The Guardian that he was not sure if the judiciary had invited the government officials.

Those present at the ceremonies were the Minister of Youth Development, Inuwa Abdulkadir, Minister of State for Education, Nyesom Wike and the Chief Judge of Anambra State. Others are representatives of the Chief Judges of Bayelsa, Delta, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Enugu and Cross River states.

Justice Ndu observed that ahead of 2015, the courts across the country are already inundated with political matters. Describing the times are perilous, he cautioned judges against granting ridiculous exparte motion which are aimed at an applicant springing surprises on a respondent.

He noted that the country has experienced 14 years of uninterrupted democratic governance, “regrettably, the impunity of those in authority has continued to increase.” He therefore urged judges to rise to the occasion and do justice to all especially the downtrodden who are likely victims of abuse of power.

Justice Ndu implored his colleagues to imbibe the spirit of judicial activism in a bid to curb the excesses and impunity of those in government, reminding them that courts are naturally not expected to do the bidding of those in power.

He lauded Amaechi for ensuring the independence of the judiciary and prompt release of financial allocations that enabled him to accomplish most of the capital projects executed during his 12-year reign.

On his part, the President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr. Okey Wali (SAN) said appointment of judges should be based on intellectual acumen and professional competence rather than political consideration, which is responsible for corruption of the justice system.

Wali lamented that judicial appointments are now getting politicised irrespective of the salient fact that the duties of judges are sacred and such should be insulated from political considerations. According to him, political inference in judicial appointments remains one of the reasons for corruption in the justice system.

He stressed that while corruption can be tolerated in, for instance, the executive arm of government, this social menace remains antithetical to judiciary which has the divine power of life and death.

He explained that it was in recognition of the fact that corruption has become a cankerworm in the judiciary that the NBA has decided to work in collaboration with the Chief Justice of Nigeria to rid both the Bench and the Bar of corrupt persons. According to him, about six lawyers have been debarred.

Speaking on behalf of the Body of Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Ifedayo Adedipe (SAN), described judiciary as a stabilising factor in Nigeria. He noted that while other arms of government create a mess in the system, they have always expected the judiciary to clear it up.

He decried the seeming high handed of the Judicial Service Commission for recently suspending a judge without pay for one year.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/130454-rivers-govt-officials-shun-cjs-valedictory-ceremonies
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 20, 2013
this is what rivers state has turned into. 'Choose this day whom you will serve, as for me and my family, we will serve .........' PEJ or Amaechi.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by taharqa: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2013
So because Ameachi failed to Impose his choice as d Chief Judge of the State, and was correctly overridden by d NJC who insisted on following d setdown rules to appointing Chief Judges, Ameachi decides to boycott a State Judiciary function. The Executive completely boycotting d State Judiciary over failure at try to controlling it- now, that is something I hv NEVER heard of b4 in d chequeched history of obodo Naija.....

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by iamswizz(m): 10:16am On Aug 20, 2013
Please give us better news, we done tire for all these River state rubbish.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by wellmax(m): 10:16am On Aug 20, 2013
Rivers State is getting messier by the day.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by bluelaptop: 10:19am On Aug 20, 2013
Ok i hear
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 20, 2013
can anything good ever come out of rivers?
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Austeenxx: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2013
Where can I buy a bag of garri in PH? undecided
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Fazhy: 10:37am On Aug 20, 2013
There is no smoke without fire. Something is surely amiss.

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by miqos02(m): 10:39am On Aug 20, 2013
how come the speakers at the event had no positive things to say about the outgoing cj
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Okijajuju: 10:49am On Aug 20, 2013
If Nyesom Wike was there, then please dont expect our esteemed Governor to be there..

Gov. Rotimi Amaechi Does not associate|negotiate withh Terrorists|militants|Touts & Shepopotamuses..

Long Live Rivers State.. grin

9 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by ejifranks(m): 10:57am On Aug 20, 2013
In Politics Den Pitch your tent where your interest rests and the stress will be less... cool cool cool
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by ilebaami: 11:12am On Aug 20, 2013
Nigeria is developing past the hunting stage. The important thing is that institutions should be encouraged to strengthen. Maybe future events like this will not need the presence of the executive thereby reducing time spent in ceremonies. A street naming event in honour of the retiring judge was said to have been cancelled. These are all trivia. There is real work to be done.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by omenka(m): 11:22am On Aug 20, 2013
taharqa: So because Ameachi failed to Impose his choice as d Chief Judge of the State, and was correctly overridden by d NJC who insisted on following d setdown rules to appointing Chief Judges, Ameachi decides to boycott a State Judiciary function. The Executive completely boycotting d State Judiciary over failure at try to controlling it- now, that is something I hv NEVER heard of b4 in d chequeched history of obodo Naija.....

I bet you were still a foetus when Jonathan brazenly refused to carry out the recomendation of the NJC to reinstate the suspended ex president of the Court of Apeal. Thesame NJC that recomended his suspension which the president carried out with the speed of light!

I believe in you peoples' books, not showing up for an occasion, even though attending such or otherwise is one's prerogative, is a more serious offence than disobeying a judicial virdict. I'm not too suprised though given how you guys succeeded in turning maths on its head making 16 greater than 19 and 5 greater than 2/3 of 32!

Something you "hav NEVER heard of" indeed!

8 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Demdem(m): 11:26am On Aug 20, 2013
taharqa: So because Ameachi failed to Impose his choice as d Chief Judge of the State, and was correctly overridden by d NJC who insisted on following d setdown rules to appointing Chief Judges, Ameachi decides to boycott a State Judiciary function. The Executive completely boycotting d State Judiciary over failure at try to controlling it- now, that is something I hv NEVER heard of b4 in d chequeched history of obodo Naija.....

Did u read the part where he applauded Amaechi for ensuring the independence of the judiciary and enough finance for the states judiciary?
My best guess till I hear from the govt, they were not invited or better still the evil wike stole their invite cool

Where did u get ur story from? When did Amaechi ever had issues with NJC as regards what u stated?
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by kawkab: 11:27am On Aug 20, 2013
Even though his preferred candidate was not approved by the National Judicial Council, Ameaechi should have least sent his deputy and the State Attorney General to attend the ceremony. This kind of action is cable of further making him loose support in certain quarters in the State.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by arshavineering(m): 11:49am On Aug 20, 2013
Rotimi Amaechi Iڪ gradually loosing it..He should better grow up..dis 'do me  do you, God ‎​ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡ go vex attitude' should be curtailed..NAWA 4 A̶̲̥̅♏ Ooº°˚°ºoo
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by omenka(m): 11:51am On Aug 20, 2013
Demdem:

Did u read the part where he applauded Amaechi for ensuring the independence of the judiciary and enough finance for the states judiciary?
My best guess till I hear from the govt, they were not invited or better still the evil wike stole their invite cool

Where did u get ur story from? When did Amaechi ever had issues with NJC as regards what u stated?

Leave all those PDP e-janitors. They can only but decieve a few.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by imsuboi(m): 12:05pm On Aug 20, 2013
K
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 20, 2013
This goes to show what Mbu is saying about amaechi trying to use him against political enemies is true. This amaechi is a control freek. Imagine a state governor trying to control his other collegues and even the president.

Anofia

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2013
Okija juju: If Nyesom Wike was there, then please dont expect our esteemed Governor to be there..

Gov. Rotimi Amaechi Does not associate|negotiate withh Terrorists|militants|Touts & Shepopotamuses..

You are a very Big Big Fool.Senseless Bigot!

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by iboman(m): 2:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
It was wrong for Governor Amaechi, whatever may be the case, not to have at least sent the Attorney-General. It seems he has forgotten that it was the courts that brought him in as governor in the first place (Up till now, I can't fathom how the Supreme Court arrived at such a decision). If I'm almost always at loggerheads with people, I should take a self-appraisal and try to, as we say, mellow down. After all, as Christians we are to 4give and 4get because vengeance belongs to the Lord alone.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by dovemart(m): 2:25pm On Aug 20, 2013
Chief Peter Agumagu was even sworn in this morning at 8AM.I don even send em wife congratulatory message. She is the DCCWO President, PH Catholic Diocese.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by ldpele(m): 4:48pm On Aug 20, 2013
retiring state chief judge,no worry uasef,the gov is of not significant. he is jst a hanging garden,all structure av been removed from him,little time nw,we ll start seeing the prove of an unstructured gov.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Okijajuju: 4:50pm On Aug 20, 2013
Rolly83:

You are a very Big Big Fool.Senseless Bigot!

I was gonna curse you out but after looking at your picture, I was speechless!

You are too beautiful to be this stupiid!! cry

You must be the new breed of Anu Ofia that scientists in Ibadan just discovered..

1 Like

Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by moodswing(m): 5:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
Okija juju: If Nyesom Wike was there, then please dont expect our esteemed Governor to be there..

I didn't expect any more than you just offered. I would have been disappointed if you'd posted something sensible.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Lushgreen: 7:06pm On Aug 20, 2013

Amaechi and Wike are birds of a feather.

@Topic,
By this action Amaechi has shown how petty he is... Too petty for a leader.

He obviously would have accused the retiring chief judge of bias, just like he is doing to Mbu, if not for the backlash he knows he would receive.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Bright2(m): 10:48pm On Aug 20, 2013
My major concern is that after the absence of the messiah,he succesfully retired & went home tongue
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by taharqa: 8:05am On Aug 21, 2013
Just as was suspected and indicated here, Gov Ameachi has just yterday unilaterally Appointed and Imposed a new Chief Judge on d Rivers State Judiciary, against d very Clear wordings of d Constitution (which in Section 217, subsection 4 Expresses state that d Gov may only appoint 'd oldest Judge in d State HIGH COURT' as Acting Chief Judge till d process of Appointing d Substantive one is concluded), and also against d Recommendations of both d NJC and d State Judicial Committee that one Justice Ngozi is d oldest Judge in d State's HIGH COURT. Ameachi appointed d current President of d State Customary Court of Appeal, apparently a lackey, as Acting Chief Judge. His previous Failed attempt to Control d Judiciary by appointing a new Chief Judge cos of d insistence of d Intependent NJC and State Judicial Committee for due process to be followed as spelt out in d constitution (oldest judge in d High Court taking over) was perhaps d reason why he ordered his Executive not to honour this Judicial event; he has gotten it now tru d back door, Or so he thinks..... Just setting d record straight now sha, b4 d usual hefty Propaganda works start to roll in
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by taharqa: 8:08am On Aug 21, 2013
Demdem:

mctchssss....
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Demdem(m): 11:39am On Aug 21, 2013
taharqa: mctchssss....

Didn't expect much from an empty barrel.
Re: Rivers Govt Officials Shun Chief-Justice’s Valedictory Ceremonies by Jachy3(m): 9:29am On Aug 22, 2013
Wel,GOD WIL HELP RIVERS

(1) (Reply)

Let Buhari, Atiku, Others Undergo Mental Health Tests Before Elections –CUPP / Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations / Boycot Daar Communications (AIT) Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.