Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,531 members, 7,954,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:53 PM

Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? (8763 Views)

Top Five Hiphop Lyricist In Nigeria Right Now-Opinion / Is Nas The Greatest Rapper Or What? / Is Nas Truly a Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by onyinye2(f): 8:01pm On Aug 11, 2008
Oka maybe slim shady's album was a wee bit better but im sorry until he can prove to the world that he aint another washed up rapper, he is a thing in the past.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 8:07pm On Aug 11, 2008
Eminem can never be anutha washed up rapper. . . . . .
Coming to the lime-light is very difficult and coming stronger in a sophomore album is a herculean task(Eminem achieved that easily).
When Slim Shady album came out, critics were like. . . . .Thatz it, he cannot repeat the achievement again but Marshal Mathers was even better.
The Eminem Show wasn't too bad and Encore was hot. . . . Just wait for his 5th studio album(most likely to be released during the elections).
Eminem is one of the few talented rappers out there. . . . .His lyrical skills are top draw.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by onyinye2(f): 8:18pm On Aug 11, 2008
Don't get your hopes up Hannibal. Slim Shady's lyrics are good but they aint that good. Slim Shady vs. 50 cent, well of course slim takes that one home. But Slim Shady vs. Kanye West. . . .you do the math.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 9:08pm On Aug 11, 2008
Eminem and Kanye West?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Kanye West would be blown back to the stone age with the sporadic lyrics of the whiteboy. . .
How can u even compare anyone on Roc-a-fella with Slim??
Jeeeeeez. . . . . . . . no comparison unless u are a fan of commercial rap.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by onyinye2(f): 9:10pm On Aug 11, 2008
Come on now. Kanye is great lyricist. His songs make you think. While slim shady's music just gives you headache because all he raps about is "my daughter this" "my daughter that" "cleaning out my closet" "mocking bird".
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2008
Hannibal et Hardballer, for now let's forget their hits, skills and all. Cos even with those perimeters, I still won't place Em on the same level with Nas.

Now, let's talk about a battle. Hannibal, as much as I can't pre-empt either of both cats, *they're both good no doubt* I'll still tell you to slow down on this your Eminem Campaign. You analyse rap artistes well. But I think you sometimes blow their abilities out of proportion. How can you ask if any of Nas' albums can be compared with Em's Marshall Mathers? And then I'm sure you had a re-think when you quickly came back and said Illmatic and Stillmatic come close.

Come close? shocked shocked Dude, let's even forget Illmatic. Stillmatic kills Marshall Mathers anyday. Stillmatic is like a sight-seeing trip around the world in about an hour. That album is as intelligent as it can get. Marshall Mathers LP was good but I'll give the deserved five stars to only Conscience and My Name Is. In Stillmatic, I can't list the number of tracks that you prolly need to go listen to all over again.

Well, I think I digressed a bit. Now, the battle side of things. Both cats look like they'll tear it up. But 'member I told you not to be too quick to assume things. You compare Nas and Em like you're comparing Diddy and Canibus.

And oh, Canibus - what a great diss rapper. But please lap up that ish you vomitted about Canibus eating Pac in a battle shocked shocked shocked. I nearly choked on my drink! I told you Pac doesn't diss, he battles - it's like a war. It's even a very imbalanced comparison.

Dude, like I said earlier - you analyze rappers well. But always take time to be modest with your praise-singing *'member your posts on Fiddy?*

Em would stop dead in his tracks with this song you're singing for him.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 6:01pm On Aug 12, 2008
Bamsyle:

Hannibal et Hardballer, for now let's forget their hits, skills and all. Cos even with those perimeters, I still won't place Em on the same level with Nas.

Now, let's talk about a battle. Hannibal, as much as I can't pre-empt either of both cats, *they're both good no doubt* I'll still tell you to slow down on this your Eminem Campaign. You analyse rap artistes well. But I think you sometimes blow their abilities out of proportion. How can you ask if any of Nas' albums can be compared with Em's Marshall Mathers? And then I'm sure you had a re-think when you quickly came back and said Illmatic and Stillmatic come close.

Never under-estimate whatever Dr. Dre and Eminem put long hours of work into. . . . .
Stillmatic is 6 notches below the Marshal Mathers LP. Apart from the Intro, Ether, One Mic, Rewind and Smoking. . . .what else is on Stillmatic??
Bridge is Over was wack. . . . .My 2nd Childhood was rubbish and Flyest Gangstar with AZ was too watery.

Come close? shocked shocked Dude, let's even forget Illmatic. Stillmatic kills Marshall Mathers anyday. Stillmatic is like a sight-seeing trip around the world in about an hour. That album is as intelligent as it can get. Marshall Mathers LP was good but I'll give the deserved five stars to only Conscience and My Name Is. In Stillmatic, I can't list the number of tracks that you prolly need to go listen to all over again.

U are making a costly error, hombre.
Slim Shady is different from Marshal Mathers LP. . . . . Marshal Mathers was Eminem's sophomore album and u can't fault that.
Tracks like "Kill U", "Stan", "Never Knew", "Marshal Mathers LP", "Amityville", "Criminal". . . They all blow Stillmatic apart into atoms.

Well, I think I digressed a bit. Now, the battle side of things. Both cats look like they'll tear it up. But 'member I told you not to be too quick to assume things. You compare Nas and Em like you're comparing Diddy and Canibus.
And oh, Canibus - what a great diss rapper. But please lap up that ish you vomitted about Canibus eating Pac in a battle shocked shocked shocked. I nearly choked on my drink! I told you Pac doesn't diss, he battles - it's like a war. It's even a very imbalanced comparison.

Canibus would kill any rapper. . . . .His vast knowledge of subjects is the best in the Rap industry. . . .
Please go and cop these albums and feel it "Rip The Jacker", 2000 B.C. and Mic-Club. Listen to Poet Laureate(I-IV) tracks.
This cat spat on a single track lasting 14 mins non-stop and he was dissing and dropping metaphysics and pure science.
He even got to rap on a Fela instrumental. . . . .I was holding ma head in bliss listening n checking his breath control.
I am telling u Pac was lucky he died when he did. . . . . .Canibus would finish him in one go.

Dude, like I said earlier - you analyze rappers well. But always take time to be modest with your praise-singing *'member your posts on Fiddy?*
Em would stop dead in his tracks with this song you're singing for him.

I have listened to enuff Pac songs to know he is a tad over-rated . . All he talks about in his dissing is guns, Bleep bitches, Hennessey, Alize n weed.
This is no praise singing of these cats . . . . .It's the way they rhyme, clever words and their cheekiness.
Before i go any further. . . . . Go to youtube and listen to "Beasts From The East" . . . .Lost Boyz feat Busta, A+ and Canibus.
U will be convinced. grin cheesy
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 10:25am On Aug 13, 2008
@Hannibal
Never under-estimate whatever Dr. Dre and Eminem put long hours of work into. . . . .
Stillmatic is 6 notches below the Marshal Mathers LP. Apart from the Intro, Ether, One Mic, Rewind and Smoking. . . .what else is on Stillmatic??
Bridge is Over was wack. . . . .My 2nd Childhood was rubbish and Flyest Gangstar with AZ was too watery.

'Course not. No under-estimation here. Dr. Dre I respect. Em I also do. But where did you get your 6 notches theory from? What about "Got Ur Self A, ",? And you refer to these as what else?

You're Da Man
Destroy & Rebuild
Braveheart Party
Rule
My Country

Dude, I thought you said you ain't a commercial rap fan.

You are making a costly error, hombre.
Slim Shady is different from Marshal Mathers LP. . . . . Marshal Mathers was Eminem's sophomore album and u can't fault that.
Tracks like "Kill You", "Stan", "Never Knew", "Marshal Mathers LP", "Amityville", "Criminal". . . They all blow Stillmatic apart into atoms.

Oh blimey, forgive ma error. Dunno why I keep mixing both titles up.

Ok, I'll accept Marshall Mathers kinda edges Stillmatic. Of course that's Em at his finest IMO. But Illmatic? Be honest. It was a journey through the soul of an intelligent black man. Talk about powerful narratives, floetry, complex rhyme patterns, clever word play, impressive vocab and lyrical substance. Those elements alone were what fetched Biggie King of New York. And in God's Son, the singular track "Made You Look" kills a merger of like four of the tracks you listed up there from Marshall Mathers LP.

Canibus would kill any rapper. . . . .His vast knowledge of subjects is the best in the Rap industry. . . .
Please go and cop these albums and feel it "Rip The Jacker", 2000 B.C. and Mic-Club. Listen to Poet Laureate(I-IV) tracks.
This cat spat on a single track lasting 14 mins non-stop and he was dissing and dropping metaphysics and pure science.
He even got to rap on a Fela instrumental. . . . .I was holding ma head in bliss listening n checking his breath control.
I am telling u Pac was lucky he died when he did. . . . . .Canibus would finish him in one go.

Yo I already heard all those tracks man. 'fact, I was still bopping ma head to Poet Laureate II yesterday through ma headphone (got it on ma playlist). And I loved that Fela beat.

But hold it there again dawg.

I repeat you're making an imbalanced comparison here. Canibus was dissing and dropping metaphysics and pure science don't mean he'll finish Pac if he steps to him dude. Agreed Canibus is a first-class diss rapper. That's his insignia. But Pac was is an intelligent rapper. Who cares 'bout 'em metaphysics and science? While Canibus is still reading up his science textbooks trying to choose his words, Pac would have dissed and messed him in about ten tracks in his signature prolific style grin Is Canibus or any other rapper as prolific as Pac? Most times, intelligence conquers cheekiness man. I leave the rest to your imagination. Go figure.

I have listened to enough Pac songs to know he is a tad over-rated . . All he talks about in his dissing is guns, mess bitches, Hennessey, Alize n weed.
This is no praise singing of these cats . . . . .It's the way they rhyme, clever words and their cheekiness.
Before i go any further. . . . . Go to youtube and listen to "Beasts From The East" . . . .Lost Boyz feat Busta, A+ and Canibus.
You will be convinced.

Now you've joined the bandwagon of those claiming Pac's over-rated. And talking 'bout dissing, go check this link:

www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/tupac%20tops%20diss%20list

Check out the list of top 20 diss tracks of all time. Pac's Hit 'Em Up, by poll, is number 1.

And to your guns, mess bitches, Hennessey, Alize n weed references, what about "Against All Odds", "Lil' Homies"? Sure you've not listened to 80% of Pac's songs.

Hell, who did this guy not diss in his days. Check the roll call:

Biggie
Ice Cube
Nas
Jay-Z
Mobb Deep
Fugees
Da Brat
LL Cool J
Lil' Kim
etc, etc

OMG, he dissed all your best rappers!

And last word, don't be pissed with all those gun talks et al. 'member I said he doesn't diss, he battles wink grin
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 12:44pm On Aug 13, 2008
Bamsyle:

@Hannibal
'Course not. No under-estimation here. Dr. Dre I respect. Em I also do. But where did you get your 6 notches theory from? What about "Got your Self A, ",? And you refer to these as what else?

You're Da Man
Destroy & Rebuild
Braveheart Party
Rule
My Country

Dude, I thought you said you ain't a commercial rap fan.

Firstly, i am mad at u for getting me up early to reply you. wink

I am not a commercial rap fan but then i was watching a documentary on Marshal Mathers LP on MTV Base some months ago and i had to give it to Eminem on his verve and panache he put in the production of that grand album. Bitch Please II single-handedly kills all the tracks u listed up there.
How can u tell me "criminal" and "amityville" are commercial?? grin cheesy
The tracks that make it to MTV/Radio in any album most times are the worst ones.

Oh blimey, forgive ma error. Dunno why I keep mixing both titles up.

Ok, I'll accept Marshall Mathers kind of edges Stillmatic. Of course that's Em at his finest IMO. But Illmatic? Be honest. It was a journey through the soul of an intelligent black man. Talk about powerful narratives, floetry, complex rhyme patterns, clever word play, impressive vocab and lyrical substance. Those elements alone were what fetched Biggie King of New York. And in God's Son, the singular track "Made You Look" kills a merger of like four of the tracks you listed up there from Marshall Mathers LP.

Thanx for accepting MMLP edges Stillmatic. . . . . . I am going to listen to Illmatic later on me pod. . . Maybe i am missing something in it.
Don't get me wrong, this is one of the most soul-searching album ever made . . Deeper than the conscious Gandhi was born with. grin cheesy

Yo I already heard all those tracks man. 'fact, I was still bopping ma head to Poet Laureate II yesterday through ma headphone (got it on ma playlist). And I loved that Fela beat.

Poet Laureate is a classic. It's a MUST-HAVE for any true rap head!!!!

I repeat you're making an imbalanced comparison here. Canibus was dissing and dropping metaphysics and pure science don't mean he'll finish Pac if he steps to him dude. Agreed Canibus is a first-class diss rapper. That's his insignia. But Pac was is an intelligent rapper. Who cares 'bout 'em metaphysics and science? While Canibus is still reading up his science textbooks trying to choose his words, Pac would have dissed and messed him in about ten tracks in his signature prolific style grin Is Canibus or any other rapper as prolific as Pac? Most times, intelligence conquers cheekiness man. I leave the rest to your imagination. Go figure.

Pac is intelligent(no doubt about that) but people forget he had loads of time on his hands to make those songs.
Prison life they say can be very boring. . . Compare 2pac before his prison sentence to 2pac/Makaveli(at Deathrow). Massive difference!!
What i like about Canibus is his vast range of knowledge. . . . This nigga can spew. Packaging/Production screwed him up big time. tongue grin

Now you've joined the bandwagon of those claiming Pac's over-rated. And talking 'bout dissing, go check this link:
www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/tupac%20tops%20diss%20list
Check out the list of top 20 diss tracks of all time. Pac's Hit 'Em Up, by poll, is number 1.

Hit 'Em Up will always be number one. . . . It was a clash between the best 2 cats, best 2 record company. grin cheesy
It was more than Biggie diss. It was the battle of the Coasts.
Besides that, i think that was the first time anyone would mention names in a diss track.

2pac is a very good rapper but then he is over-rated. He became a gangstar after he shot to the limelight not BEFORE.
The only record he had with the law was "jay-walking" Can u beat that?? grin cheesy
While em Biggie, Jigga and nas were hustling crack on the street. . . . .2pac was studying!!!!
So it's kind of funny when u hear him talk about gunz, drug hustling and other shitteryThis is why Biggie had more to say than Pac.

And to your guns, mess bitches, Hennessey, Alize n weed references, what about "Against All Odds", "Lil' Homies"? Sure you've not listened to 80% of Pac's songs.

There's no 2pac album i don't have. . . . .ma iPod is a walking DJ(without the mixes) cheesy grin
I have heard "Against All Odds" where he dissed Nas and Mobb Deep but ALL OUT is a better song. grin

Hell, who did this guy not diss in his days. Check the roll call:

Biggie
Ice Cube
Nas
Jay-Z
Mobb Deep
Fugees
Da Brat
LL Cool J
Lil' Kim
etc, etc

OMG, he dissed all your best rappers!

And last word, don't be pissed with all those gun talks et al. 'member I said he doesn't diss, he battles wink grin

Eminem has dissed more peops than Pac. . . . .if i make a list, i would waste valuable bandwidth so lets leave that.
Number of people he dissed cannot be a yardstick but the quality of the disses.
Surely, u have heard 2nd round K.O. That was a classic diss track. No thrills, No mucking about. cool cool
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 2:01pm On Aug 13, 2008
@Hannibal
Firstly, i am mad at u for getting me up early to reply you.

Hehehe, don't be mad *I Ain't Mad At 'Cha*

I am not a commercial rap fan but then i was watching a documentary on Marshal Mathers LP on MTV Base some months ago and i had to give it to Eminem on his verve and panache he put in the production of that grand album. Bitch Please II single-handedly kills all the tracks u listed up there.
How can u tell me "criminal" and "amityville" are commercial??
The tracks that make it to MTV/Radio in any album most times are the worst ones.

You didn't get my point here. I meant those tracks of Nas I listed from Stillmatic are not commercial so maybe that's why you don't like them. If you ain't a commercial rap fan, you ought to like those tracks. And f it, you'll agree with me that talking about commercial rap, Em's a commercial rapper (though he's good). Nas is more street-conscious than Em *'fact, no comparison here* Well, you may be quite oblivious of it but methinks you love more of commercial rap.

Pac is intelligent(no doubt about that) but people forget he had loads of time on his hands to make those songs.
Prison life they say can be very boring. . . Compare 2pac before his prison sentence to 2pac/Makaveli(at Deathrow). Massive difference!!
What i like about Canibus is his vast range of knowledge. . . . This nigga can spew. Packaging/Production screwed him up big time.

Pac had loads of time? What kind of theory is this? This's ma first time of hearing this stuff. Was (and is) Pac the only rapper that's ever been to prison? So the boring prison life's what made Pac? Every rapper/artiste has his source of inspiration y'know? 2pac before prison was good. Was Keep Ya Head Up written after his incarceration? Trapped, Brenda's Got A Baby, I Get Around? Go listen to those four songs, particularly the first three and come back to tell me they weren't masterpieces. Pac had already developed an intelligent mind ever before he went to jail. Mind you, his debut album released in 1991 - 2Pacalypse Now is hailed by many critics and fans for its underground feel, with many rappers such as Nas and Talib Kweli having pointed to it as a source of inspiration for their rap careers.

And assuming without conceding that he prolly discovered more of himself in jail, that still goes to no issue. Like I said before, every rapper gets his inspiration from whatever.

Hit 'Em Up will always be number one. . . . It was a clash between the best 2 cats, best 2 record company.
It was more than Biggie diss. It was the battle of the Coasts.
Besides that, i think that was the first time anyone would mention names in a diss track.

2pac is a very good rapper but then he is over-rated. He became a gangstar after he shot to the limelight not BEFORE.
The only record he had with the law was "jay-walking" Can u beat that??
While em Biggie, Jigga and nas were hustling crack on the street. . . . .2pac was studying!!!!
So it's kind of funny when u hear him talk about gunz, drug hustling and other shitteryThis is why Biggie had more to say than Pac.

I think you should give your reasons for thinking Pac is over-rated. Look, I personally don't rate any rapper based on his gangster, hip, whatever life. I also don't rate 'em based on criminal records. I rate all artistes based upon what they're saying. Deep calls unto deep. I listen to lyrics from artistes, not news on them. That Biggie, Hova, Em and Nas were hustling crack don't mean nada to me. Forget all the wordplay and clever rhymes that easily hypnotize you, do those guys spit intelligently as Pac did?

Biggie had more to say than Pac. Dude, I personally have never been able to rate either of these two cats above the other. But your saying Biggie got more to say than Pac is ridiculous. You need to explain what you mean here. Prolly you mean Biggie had more narrative skills which I'll agree to. Biggie was good at the god of metaphors, imageries, vivid pictures, sick punchlines. But Pac was a deep lyricist. Pac addressed world issues that you and I are still dealing with today.

There's no 2pac album i don't have. . . . .ma iPod is a walking DJ(without the mixes)
I have heard "Against All Odds" where he dissed Nas and Mobb Deep but ALL OUT is a better song.

Of course All Out's phenomenal. But I was just looking at the diss side of things without the gunz, weed et al that you so much detest grin

Eminem has dissed more peops than Pac. . . . .if i make a list, i would waste valuable bandwidth so lets leave that.
Number of people he dissed cannot be a yardstick but the quality of the disses.
Surely, u have heard 2nd round K.O. That was a classic diss track. No thrills, No mucking about.

Please do make a modest list. I don't agree Em has dissed more peops than Pac. And of course, number of peops dissed is not a yardstick but quality. And still I say Pac's diss quality is untouchable. I keep saying you don't know 80% of Pac's tracks.

2nd Round Knock Out was terrific yeah. But before 10 guys in your hood woulda quote a line from that track, they'd have quoted 20 from Pac's Bomb First. Pac spews diss lines that are quotable quotes for the average or introspective listener. Not sci-fi ish that you gotta crack ya brain to remember.

That's what I'm talking about.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2008
@ Bamsyle,

I am never a commercial rap fan. . . . . .The tracks that make it for me in any album never makes it to the radio or MTV.
They don't even become singles. . . . They are the deep tracks only genuine rap heads can find.
Stillmatic got puppy after the first 7 tracks. . . .I cannot fault Nas. . . That particular album leaked so many of those songs were rushed to make the release date. That was what gave birth to "The Lost Tapes" Album. grin

2pac had 11 months to re-make himself. . . . . .That was where Makaveli was conceived and perfected.
The fact that Biggie/Puffy was making cheddarz while he was locked up even got him more angry.
He knew he had to work hard. Success is the only option, failure was unimaginable.
"Trapped", "Brenda's got a baby", "I get around"(very commerical, grin) U have just referred me to 2 different albums.
This is why some school of thunks feel Biggie was better. . . .It took Pac 4 albums to achieve his stardom, it took BIG just one album.

I like 2Pac. . . .Don't get me wrong. . . . . He was a very talented rapper but then Biggie was always ma number 1.
2pac's death kinda helped his legendary status. Honestly, he is a tad overrated albeit very good.
Have u heard "Lets get it on"? Please find it. . . . .U would feel what i am trying to say here.

On the peops Eminem have dissed. . . . . .Where do i start??

Bill Clinton(Criminal)
George Bush(Mosh)
Arnold Schwarzenegger(Ass like that)
Dick & Lynne Cheney(Without Me)
Britney Spears(MM)
N-Sync, Backstreet Boys(MM)
Vanilla Ice(MM)
Christina Aguilera(I'm back)
Benzino(Nail in the coffin)
Canibus(Can-i-bitch)
Ja Rule n MURDA INC(Hail Mary remix)
Jermain Dupri(Say what u say)
Nelly(Detroit Grammar)
ICP(MM)
Hilary Duff(Ass Like that)
Michael Jackson(Lose it)
Janet Jackson(Ass like that). . . .and many more. cheesy grin
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 4:13pm On Aug 13, 2008
@Hannibal
I am never a commercial rap fan. . . . . .The tracks that make it for me in any album never makes it to the radio or MTV.
They don't even become singles. . . . They are the deep tracks only genuine rap heads can find.
Stillmatic got puppy after the first 7 tracks. . . .I cannot fault Nas. . . That particular album leaked so many of those songs were rushed to make the release date. That was what gave birth to "The Lost Tapes" Album.

Your theory.

2pac had 11 months to re-make himself. . . . . .That was where Makaveli was conceived and perfected.
The fact that Biggie/Puffy was making cheddarz while he was locked up even got him more angry.
He knew he had to work hard. Success is the only option, failure was unimaginable.
"Trapped", "Brenda's got a baby", "I get around"(very commerical, ) You have just referred me to 2 different albums.
This is why some school of thunks feel Biggie was better. . . .It took Pac 4 albums to achieve his stardom, it took BIG just one album.

Now, what are you saying here? Aiight, he evolved into Makaveli while in prison. That's not my headache. What I'm dealing with is his style, lyrics and all. And like I said earlier, anybody can be inspired or propelled by anything. Biggie had his own driving force. Has it ever occured to you that prolly the controversy Pac started on the East Coast-West Coast hip hop rivalry could have sprung Biggie into limelight. Don't get me wrong. I place Pac and Biggie in my A-Class List of Rappers. They're the only two there. I don't rate one above the other. See, don't start a Biggie/Pac comparison here. I won't indulge in it. One was hip, the other was deep. Have you read The Rose That Grew From Concrete? And some of Pac's other poems? You would know Pac was a very deep brotha. Forget about your Prison Theory.

Some peops, in fact, more peops also think Pac was better. But like I said, the two are at par in my reckoning. And what's that you said about 4 albums to fetch Pac stardom? Pac's debut album, 2Pacalypse Now, gained critical recognition ever before he released his other albums. And Suge had more issues with Puffy/Biggie than Pac. Pac was just used by Suge to retaliate.
Life After Death fetched Biggie his legendary status. For Pac, it was All Eyez On Me. Forget the previous albums from the two cats. One album each made them stars.

And, you refer to "Trapped" and "Brenda's got a baby" as very commerical, I don't get your definition of a commercial song. Those are socially conscious rap songs dawg.

What's more, Pac's fourth album was All Eyez On Me (released in '96) but before then, he had several singles on Top 10 Billboard Singles -

1991: "Brenda's Got a Baby"
1991: "If My Homie Calls"
1993: "I Get Around"
1993: "Keep Ya Head Up"
1995: "Dear Mama"
1995: "Old School"
1995: "Me Against the World"
1995: "So Many Tears"

So, what point exactly are you making?

I like 2Pac. . . .Don't get me wrong. . . . . He was a very talented rapper but then Biggie was always ma number 1.
2pac's death kind of helped his legendary status. Honestly, he is a tad overrated albeit very good.
Have u heard "Lets get it on"? Please find it. . . . .You would feel what i am trying to say here.

You mention Let's Get It On as if it's relatively unknown, compared with his other tracks. Those lines were even featured in his Duets album on that track with Damian Marley. So, Biggie's status never helped his legendary status? Dude, I regard Biggie in awe. But honestly you're being biased here. Those two cats weigh pound for pound in my reckoning *and of course I don't mean body weight* grin

On the peops Eminem have dissed. . . . . .Where do i start??

Bill Clinton(Criminal)
George Bush(Mosh)
Arnold Schwarzenegger(Ass like that)
Dick & Lynne Cheney(Without Me)
Britney Spears(MM)
N-Sync, Backstreet Boys(MM)
Vanilla Ice(MM)
Christina Aguilera(I'm back)
Benzino(Nail in the coffin)
Canibus(Can-i-bitch)
Ja Rule n MURDA INC(Hail Mary remix)
Jermain Dupri(Say what u say)
Nelly(Detroit Grammar)
ICP(MM)
Hilary Duff(Ass Like that)
Michael Jackson(Lose it)
Janet Jackson(Ass like that). . . .and many more.

Homie, take a second look at your list. I guess you should be laughing. What a phoney, freaky list. We're mentioning real n****z like Nas, Jay-Z, Mobb Deep et al that Pac dissed and you come up with some list of peops like Bill Clinton, George Bush,
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dick & Lynne Cheney. Britney Spears, N-Sync, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera(I'm back), ICP, Hilary Duff shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

These gays! You gotta be kidding me! This has gotta be a joke.

Come up with sumthn better next time.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hannibal: 4:53pm On Aug 13, 2008
@ Bamsyle,

Has it occured to u 2pac was against all NY rappers??
Like i stated earlier. . . . . . .in 1996, it was East Vs West.
This prompted 2pac to diss almost every NY rapper(it doesn't make him outstanding dissing every rap cat from NY).
Have u listened to "In his own words".
It was the last interview he granted before his death where he said East Coast rappers were too cocky and they don't give West Coast rappers their due credits.

I am not biased. . . . . .Biggie n 2pac will always be in ma top 2 of all time great.
Even if someone better should spring out today, the veterans paved the way in the first place breaking the ground n barrier.
To let peace reign. . . .I am not going to put one cat over the other but please. . . . .Ready 2 Die made Biggie NOT Life After Death.
Even MJ had to feature Biggie in his album in 95. . . . .Life After Death wasn't until the spring of 96 so don't mix things up. wink
All Eyez On Me was the breakthrough. . . .Of course, rap heads already knew him but to an average man, it was California Love. grin
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Bamsyle(m): 5:35pm On Aug 13, 2008
Yeah I agree Ready 2 Die made Biggie and not Life After Death. I'm not mixing things up. But you'll agree that Life After Death made Biggie larger than Ready To Die. I only felt if you say it took 4 albums to make Pac a legend, by the same token; it took Biggie two albums to make him a legend. Both cats were stars with their previous releases but became legends with the latter ones.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bgees(m): 5:24pm On Aug 24, 2008
i just have to add this, NAS IS THE ILLEST RAPPER ALIVE or still rapping.

I'll put you in the casket, with the biscuit or the ratchet
They smoke hibiscus, they plants or trees, advanc-ed weed
Don't forsake us, you're all are fake bloods like movie make-up
I flow tighter as Tootie's braces, who be hatin us?
I[b] be on a state bus in shackles if my .8 bust[/b]
----------be a nigger too.

They say the close ones will hurt you
So let's keep a small circle
On the road to riches and diamond rings
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is the king

-------------------NIGGA
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by D1KeleVra(m): 6:42pm On Dec 13, 2008
Nas isn't the illest. Jay is, the way this cat spits metaphors.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hardballer(m): 9:08pm On Dec 16, 2008
just started listning to rakim and i must say hes better than all dese otha people dude does his stuff like hes not even tryin
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by chamotex(m): 10:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
No disrespect too other cats out there but Nas is illy . . . . . . Esco is the best. Full stop!

"People r afraid of criticism, but I'll always put myself in a sacrificial position"

"They gave us lemons, we made lemonades
But this Nigga's paid, ancestry of slaves
Descendant of kings, it's necessary I bling
Put rims on everything, wear Tims on every scene"

who thinks like this??
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by MrCrackles(m): 10:06pm On Dec 16, 2008
Rakim 'Allah' is the best

Esco is not far off though
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by chamotex(m): 10:13pm On Dec 16, 2008
No disrespect to Rakim though but Nas gives me that something special/different. He's like a teacher and im like the student listening and taking notes. cheesy

He's a One Man Army
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by D1KeleVra(m): 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2008
chamotex:

No disrespect to Rakim though but Nas gives me that something special/different. He's like a teacher and I'm like the student listening and taking notes.  cheesy

He's a One Man Army

I feel that. I respect NaS because he flows good too. But when ur listening to Jay, somthng else hits, his metaphors are magical. . .

". . .you're twitchin, don't do that, you makin me nervous
my crew, well, they do pack, them niggas is murderous
so would ya, please put your hand back in sight
they don't like to see me nervous you can understand that, right?
you draw, better be picasso, y'know the best
cause if this is not so, ah, god bless

you leave me no choice, i leave you no voice. . ."

. . .now that's somthng. When he says "draw", he's talkin of drawing a glock, "picasso" (a great artist). So, he's saying, u draw, better be faster than say, Gene Hackman in The Quick and The Dead. There.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Hardballer(m): 1:01pm On Dec 17, 2008
i like nas but rakim is summ else

Follow procedures, the crowd couldn't wait to see this
Nobody been this long awaited since Jesus
Who wouldn't believe this - I heard the word on the street is
I'm still one of the deepest on the mic since Adidas
They said I changed the times from the rhymes that I thought of
So I made some more to put the New World in Order
with Mathematics, put your status above the average
And help you rappers, make paragraphs with graphics
Cause new days is dawnin, new ways of peformin
Brainstormin, I write and watch the night turn to mornin
On and on and, I got the whole world respondin
Rock, I keep it hot and blow the spot without warnin
The Emperor, well known for, inventin a sentence
full of adventure, turnin up the temperature
Rush with adrenaline, how long has it been again
to be in the state of mind that Rakim is in?
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by alisigwe(m): 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2010
Am i d nly 1 dat'v nt listened to dis rakim guy before?maybe he'll be ma last dud to checkout before i say bye to Hip hop
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by hackney(m): 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2010
Jigga 's the very best even when Biggie was still around.
believe that!
His colabos with Bey could not be done by anyone else ; think about that!

his top of that food chain, baby!
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bjmighty(m): 11:18am On Oct 16, 2010
I guess no one is going insane for papoose like i am.
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by alisigwe(m): 5:05pm On Oct 17, 2010
Pap blew his chance,just lik quan,this nig*s slept off when they were supp to be on alert
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bjmighty(m): 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2010
But pap has always loved it underground where he rules. N1gga is sick with am lyrics. Damn!! shocked shocked
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by nastydamus(m): 9:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
Nas always knows how to make the soul burn slow:

I'm capable of anything, my imagination can give me wings
To fly like doves over the streets watchin' many things
Kids walkin' home from school on drug block missionaries
Pass out papers that read: Love God
See faces, cases, judges, juries, masons, lawyers and cops
I watch because every thugs face is my mirror
But this was one in particular
This kid he was the vintage stick em up pro
16 years old, did his jail sentence, nowhere to go
Every mornin calls his comrad to come and get him to smoke
He insane, already gone mad
Blames himself for his setbacks
Dangerous street corners where his sets at
Slang from dust to dawn, detectives act like they maniacs
Chasin' him, his ass was flarin'
Smokin' like a chimney, on really, of course he not carin'
He need a place to go to keep his mind expandin'
I give him a helpin' hand, bring him out to Thugz Mansion.

A place where death doesn't reside
Just thugz who collide
Not to start beef
Or spark trees
No cops rollin' by
No policemen
No homicide
No chalk on the streets
No reason
For no body's momma to cry
See I'm a good guy
I'm tryin' to stick around for my daughter
But if I should die
I know all of my albums support her
This whole year's been crazy
Ask the Holy Spirit to save me
Only difference from me and nosy Davis grey hair maybe
Cause I feel like my eyes saw to much sufferin'
Im just 20 some odd years and I done lost my mother
And I cry tears of joy
I know she smiles on a boy
I dream of you more
My love goes to Afeni Shakur
Cause like Anne Jones
She raised a ghetto king in a war
And just for that alone
She shouldn't feel no pain no more
Cause one day we'll all be together
Sipping heavenly champagne
With angels songs, with golden rings
In Thugz Mansion.

Who else spits such floetry with ease?
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by bgees(m): 1:57am On Oct 19, 2010
So many 'Nas fans' . But how many of una dey buy the guy album?
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by dawhizkid1(m): 1:30pm On Oct 19, 2010
bgees:

So many 'Nas fans' . But how many of una dey buy the guy album?
Ask them ooooooooooooo. na mouth fan dem be, to buy album, USSAI
Re: Is Nas Still Rap's Best Lyricist? by Solomonkingon: 2:42pm On Jun 01, 2022
Yeah, the whites gave Nigeria and Niger their names cos they were in the same region. They intended to use the name nigger area to describe the west African civilization from whence most of the black American slaves were taken from, the French colonized Niger and turned it into Nigér.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Accapella Groups: Pentatonix / Underrated Nigerian Artistes. . .Name yours / Ebutemeta The Naija Verison Of Umbrella

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.