Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 (18199 Views)

Club Brugge Vs Manchester United: UCL Play-off (0 - 4) On 26th August 2015 / Manchester United Vs Club Brugge : UCL Play-off (3 - 1) On 18th August 2015 / Besiktas Vs Arsenal :Champions League Playoff : (0 - 0) On 19th August 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by mukina2: 12:42am On Aug 21, 2013
England midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will be "out for a while" because of a knee injury, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed.

The 20-year-old - who has become a key part of Roy Hodgson's squad for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers - limped out of the Gunners' 3-1 home defeat by Aston Villa on the opening day of the new Barclays Premier League season and reports have suggested he could be set for up to six months on the sidelines.

While Wenger did not give any timescale on the player's recovery when he gave some team news to the club's official website, ahead of travelling to Istanbul for the Champions League play-off first leg against Fenerbahce on Wednesday, the prognosis does not appear positive.

"The difference from Saturday is that Oxlade-Chamberlain is out for a while with a knee problem," Wenger said on Arsenal Player.

There was, though, better news on Bacary Sagna, Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere and Tomas Rosicky, all of whom trained on Tuesday morning, as did defender Nacho Monreal, who has been out with a back problem.

There had been fears over the fitness of those individuals, especially full-back Sagna, who landed awkwardly towards the end of the game on Saturday, but they could all play some part in Turkey as Arsenal look to seal a place in the lucrative group stages of the Champions League.

"Everybody else should make it. There's a final decision (on Wednesday) but Sagna and Gibbs should be available," said Wenger.

"Nacho Monreal is back and will travel."

Wenger admitted following Saturday's defeat, when his side were booed off the pitch at full-time, how the players respond will shape their season.

Taking on Fenerbahce in the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium will certainly prove a test of character, but Wenger is confident it is one which Arsenal can pass.

He added: "Yes of course (they are the most important games of the season). We fought very hard last season to be in the top four and that game has a vital importance.

"It is a consequence of what we tried to achieve last season and therefore, on the back of our defeat against Aston Villa, it's important as well to bounce back straight away.

"To be part of the top level - that is for us the most important thing. All the rest are the consequences of it. When you are a football player, you want to play at the top level and that's what the Champions League is about."

Arsenal defeated Bayern Munich away last season, with the Germans going on to win the tournament, and in the 2008/2009 campaign the Gunners beat Fenerbahce 5-2, which ended the Turkish side's impressive 15-match unbeaten home run in Europe.

Wenger said: "We try to win everywhere we go. That is the only target we have to set ourselves.

"We respect Fenerbahce highly but in the history of our club we have gone everywhere, all over, and always had a desire to win and that is what we will do again."

If Arsenal do reach the group stages there will be even more calls for new faces in north London, after a bid for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye was rejected on Monday.

The B£10million move for the France international is the latest failed transfer attempt during a frustrating summer for Wenger, who has also looked at signing the likes of Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain with no success to date.

The Gunners fans were vocal during the Villa game, chanting "spend some money", as Arsenal are understood to be sitting on a B£70million warchest with which to try and attract marquee names to help mount a long-overdue sustained title challenge.

Fenerbahce coach Ersun Yanal is determined his side will take a defendable lead back to London.

The Turkish side - their place in European competition yet subject to a full hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport after being found guilty of match-fixing by UEFA - will be out to heap more misery on the Gunners.

"Arsenal are a high power team, so we will want to go there with an advantage," Yanal said at a press conference.

"As a team we are strong enough to finish the challenge which is in front of us.

"We are competing to be in the first lane (of the group stage)."

Like Arsenal, Fenerbahce - who came past Salzburg in the last European qualifying round - lost their opening domestic fixture, going down 3-2 at Konyaspor.

Yanal is expecting a response. He said: "My players need to be ready to play a more dynamic, play more up-tempo."

http://espnfc.com/en/preview/378345/preview.html?soccernet=true&cc=3888
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 12:48am On Aug 21, 2013
I tip Fenerbahce to win this one. The Turkish league has improved in recent time.
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by mannobi(m): 1:30am On Aug 21, 2013
Wenger's woes continue. Up yobo and Emenike
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Andyblaze: 1:41am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Adufaye(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2013
Y pple just hate arsenal like dis..............?

Anyway weather arsenal use dere full squad or half squad,dem go stil win

RuggedArsenal#

3 Likes

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 21, 2013
COYG
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by MaziOmenuko: 11:11am On Aug 21, 2013
I honestly pity Wenger, he is really in a tight situation. The result of this game would determine if the big names he is eyeing would agree to come or not. No big player would want to play at the uefa cup while his mates are competing at the ucl.
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 21, 2013
hmmmmmm
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by tonydoes: 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2013
http://gidigooner..com/ MATCH PREVIEW ON DIARY OF ARSENAL FAN IN LAGOS...C'MON ARSENAL...!!!
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by DrSadikMagaji(m): 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
Gunners Ɯΐll be gun down
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by MrAboki: 2:42pm On Aug 21, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by passionate88: 2:42pm On Aug 21, 2013
If Arsenal no qualify, I go pour Wenger hot oil. Make him no take my fragile heart play o. Not at this my young age
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Holadokun(m): 2:43pm On Aug 21, 2013
Time for Nigerian Strikers to shine again.........enough of ASUU STRIKE

1 Like

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by nerodenero: 2:43pm On Aug 21, 2013
Though Arsene Wenger is a good coach but I detest his transfer policy. I am not a fan but wish Arsenal would be dumped out of Champions league so that necessary action will be taken. If Arsenal qualifies again, Arsene Wenger's mentality will not change.
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by princemolak(m): 2:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
Am sure arsenal is gonna win>>>>>>>> Up Arsenal!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wanna make money Online? Check www.onlinemoneydon.com
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by MrAboki: 2:46pm On Aug 21, 2013

grin

2 Likes

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:48pm On Aug 21, 2013
Thanks to Engr Ogun & Mr Obatala. Arsene Wenger go suffer tonight to see that needs quality signings. Whether cheap or expensive!
Fernabache 3-1 Arsenal.
Last Bullet:
Adufaye: Y pple just hate arsenal like dis..............?

RuggedArsenal#
mtcheew! U no rugged reach me. But lets tell Wenger 2 step up. That saturday defeat 2 Aston Villa is unacceptable.
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Chimerase(m): 2:53pm On Aug 21, 2013
Mukina be like *na wenger giv una mouth o* grin
Before nko who go giv us mouth undecided
Shey I dn tell u say chelsea form still remain grin
We offer trophy for all ye FOURPHY faithfuls cheesy
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by CrazyGooner(m): 2:55pm On Aug 21, 2013
fenerbahce 2 Arsenal 3
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by MrAboki: 3:02pm On Aug 21, 2013
CrazyGooner: fenerbahce 2 Arsenal 3 0
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Ekans: 3:03pm On Aug 21, 2013
DSTV breaking news:the Arsenal vs Fanabache match will be shown on our cartoon network station,for other matches,go to any of our super sports stations.

2 Likes

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by FrenchyL(m): 3:11pm On Aug 21, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: I honestly pity Wenger, he is really in a tight situation. The result of this game would determine if the big names he is eyeing would agree to come or not. No big player would want to play at the uefa cup while his mates are competing at the ucl.

That's a very strong point you made. Why settle for less when there are better options? Why play in an inferior league when you can play in the best league in the world. Arsenal need to change their strategy.
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by kingarizona(m): 3:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
My BELOVED football club,
Here we come again!!!cheesy
#team - ARSENAL#gringringrin
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
I can see Arsenal missing out for next years Champions League grin
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by abdulo4real: 3:15pm On Aug 21, 2013
Ekans: DSTV breaking news:the Arsenal vs Fanabache match will be shown on our cartoon network station,for other matches,go to any of our super sports stations.
gringringringringringringrin........
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 21, 2013

RuggedArsenal#
tongue

RuggedArsenal#
not where Yobo and Emenike plays. Remember Emenike na hehehehehe Kocieny go even carry red card or own goal
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by ayusco85(m): 3:18pm On Aug 21, 2013
I hate to admit but i tip Arsenal to win
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by rozayx5(m): 3:29pm On Aug 21, 2013
Arsenal gradually turning into a laughing stock SMH

swansea came from relegation to win a trophy, and Arsenal still struggling undecided
Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by fydence: 3:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
My Humble advice for Arsenal fans this Season.

1 Like

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by damosky12(m): 3:38pm On Aug 21, 2013
I tip Emenike to score two goals

1 Like

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by johnstar(m): 3:41pm On Aug 21, 2013
cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin. grin feneruche 5 vs 3 a$$nus tongue tongue, una dey go uefa cup dis season

Re: Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 by Madawaki01(m): 3:45pm On Aug 21, 2013
I just wanna see emenike score against arsenal..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Qarabag Vs Arsenal : Europa League (0 - 3) On 4th October 2018 / Tottenham Vs Liverpool : All You Need To Know About Champions League Final / Arsenal V Napoli - UCL (2 - 0) On 1st October 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.