Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan (22388 Views)

Photos Of Kwata Junction Flyover, Awka / Photos Of Ongoing Anambra Flyover Bridge / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by rodeo0070(m): 4:45am On Aug 21, 2013
The barrier over the controversial flyover at Mokola, Ibadan has been pulled down. It was reportedly demolished by a vehicle, which hit the barrier at about 2.30pm yesterday. The driver of the truck has been arrested and detained by the police.

But, the development has sparked off another round of brickbats between the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led state government and the opposition in the state, who had criticized the N3 billion project as a wasteful and substandard venture.

The state Ministry of Works in a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Infrastructure, Mr. Kayode Adepoju, said it was interesting that only a few weeks ago, the opposition in the state threatened to pull down the barrier. He said the ministry was working on the theory that the barrier had probably been knocked down over night and the carcass left hanging only for it to be hit by truck.

But, an aide to the opposition party leader, Senator Rashidi Ladoja, Mr. Lanre Ogundipe, lashed at the regime, saying it was uncharitable to point fingers at the opposition over the destruction of the flyover barrier, more so, as there was supposed to be a large concentration of security and law enforcement agents in the particular area.

According to the government’s statement, about three weeks ago, government had alerted the public, through a press statement, of alleged plan by the opposition to demolish the barrier.

In the release, broadcast on the state Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State (because), the government alleged that it had received security report to the effect that some political thugs had been commissioned by the opposition to demolish the flyover’s barrier which the opposition claimed was an indication that the bridge was substandard.

But Ogundipe, in a reaction last night denied his party’s culpability in the demolition, accusing the administration of merely trying to gain cheap political sympathy from the people and incite the public against the Accord Party that was serving their interest.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/ibadan-controversial-flyover-barrier-demolished/

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 21, 2013
dayummm why demolish it
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by blayz0923: 10:13am On Aug 21, 2013
na wa.

we all crave for development, yet we destroy structures put in place by the govt....
if the governor says he used 50million naira to repair this damage, we will start crying foul n wolf.#

we must learn to protect wat is ours for our own use n benefits

2 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 21, 2013
Sub standard bridge + politics smh
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 21, 2013
why must everything be attached to politics in Nigeria? can our leaders atleast unite for once for the common good of the people?

5 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by ACM10: 10:14am On Aug 21, 2013
3 billion NAIRA for this barrier? shocked Who says that APC is less corrupt than PDP? lipsrsealed

10 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 21, 2013
@OP, honestly i can't seem to see any sense in this thread. Just my opinion though!

4 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by MarieSucre(f): 10:16am On Aug 21, 2013
God help Nigeria.
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Teletexter: 10:16am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by fingard02k(m): 10:17am On Aug 21, 2013
i dont get this at all
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by blayz0923: 10:18am On Aug 21, 2013
9jadelta: Sub standard bridge + politics smh

we agree that whats worth doing is worth doin well... btw, in Nigeria today which is better, to have substandard or not to have at all?

wont it be beta dat we know we will have electricity for just 3hrs every 2days dan not having at all?
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by ACM10: 10:18am On Aug 21, 2013
Marie Sucre: God help Nigeria.

God help Nigeria. We are torn between the devil(PDP) and the deep blue sea(APC).

7 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by sammyyoung2(m): 10:18am On Aug 21, 2013
smiley
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Auxiliary(m): 10:18am On Aug 21, 2013
Is d suppose to cause feud btw d parties, diz iz simply incompetence n sub-standard on d part of the awarder n awardee... #3 billion my foot!!!!
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 21, 2013
Confused idiotas, what barrier is in the picture
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by sainty2k3(m): 10:23am On Aug 21, 2013
Tell ajimobi to continue all his doing , he's just writing exams, by 2015 he'll get the result. You can torture the masses and expect same to come out and vote for you, let's wait and see

2 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Fazhy: 10:23am On Aug 21, 2013
ok.

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by wellmax(m): 10:24am On Aug 21, 2013
ACM10: 3 billion NAIRA for this barrier? shocked Who says that APC is less corrupt than PDP? lipsrsealed

You have learnt how to read, next learn how to comprehend.
Where did you hear them say the barrier cost N3B?
The barrier was meant to prevent heavy duty vehicles from using the flyover since there is an alternative route for them (a common practice all over Nigeria).
Its a pity how we politicize everything.

36 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by ReubenAbati: 10:26am On Aug 21, 2013
I just siddon dey observe...
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by meracool(m): 10:28am On Aug 21, 2013
Nigerian Politicians I Hail Thee.....!!!
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by victorv12(m): 10:31am On Aug 21, 2013
Can you see how local these our political leaders are! Other countries are celebrating scientific and technological breakthroughs. Our leaders are there fighting over a sub-standard bridge! I wonder why Nigeria politicians celebrates necessary things as accomplishments.

2 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by free2ryhme: 10:31am On Aug 21, 2013
read mature men exhnaging words over bridge barrier

in this 21 century

God help our leaders to reason maturely and resourcefully..

this can't happen in the U S or UK
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Burger01(m): 10:31am On Aug 21, 2013
Amala and abula politics... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Jaideyone(m): 10:31am On Aug 21, 2013
ACM10: 3 billion NAIRA for this barrier? shocked Who says that APC is less corrupt than PDP? lipsrsealed
phool the whole flyover is 3billion not the barrier.

Btw the flyover was designed to accomodate light vehicles. There's nothing substandard about it. The pillars are more than strong enough to handle the weight of cars and suvs. There are at least two lanes on each side for vehicles that cant use the flyover. All these pdp apologists should be ashamed of themselves. The transformation being recorded within 2yrs of ajimobi wasn't achieved in 8yrs of pdp leadership. Shame on pdp, shame on accord party.

23 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by missvirgorick(f): 10:32am On Aug 21, 2013
3 billion is not only for the barrier but for the overall construction of the flyover. Read d story again.

3 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Saraben(f): 10:35am On Aug 21, 2013
I PITY D POOR TRUCK DRIVER
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by MrAboki: 10:38am On Aug 21, 2013
I still remember how Ndi Yoruba abused me when I said that this Makola Bridge is what Fashola builds in Lagos and calls it Pedestrian bridge... grin

So the bridge cant accomodate large vehicles.. grin

3 Billion Naira.. for a One lane Birdge that cant carry large vehicles.

I laugh!!

5 Likes

Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by ifeomabernard(f): 10:39am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by wellmax(m): 10:39am On Aug 21, 2013
OROZONE: I feel so honored to be the first comment.
Wake up!! Its 10.39am
Re: Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan by Gbawe: 10:41am On Aug 21, 2013
wellmax:

You have learnt how to read, next learn how to comprehend.
Where did you hear them say the barrier cost N3B?
The barrier was meant to prevent heavy duty vehicles from using the flyover since there is an alternative route for them (a common practice all over Nigeria).
So if PDP wants to politicize everything, to hell with them.

My brother, I am simply amazed by some responses here. I find it truly worrying for Nigeria. In Britain, and Europe in general, there are height restrictions bridges and barriers, like the one under discussion here, everywhere !!! To gain your drivers licence in Britain you are taught in ways that makes you disciplined plus good at reading and comprehending simple road signals/warnings/alert etc.

Instead of us to wonder the illiteracy and/or sheer recklessness/indiscipline that makes a truck go where it is height-restricted not to travel, some are busy politicising this act of madness that is only an indictment of how backward and self-destructive Nigerians are. This is a killer driver for god sake !!!

When these sort of issues manifest, with a need for all Nigerians to condemn recklessness, indiscipline and/or poor training/assessment of drivers, we are too busy playing politics or clannishly trying to discredit others. Shame it is Nigerians dying like Chickens through the actions of people like this truck driver while those of us educated enough to be societies solutions provider cannot even see what matters let alone make the right decisions or judgement calls.
Tragic.

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity / Obasanjo And Friends Laughing Hard At Atiku / PDP And APC Governors Team Up Against Okonjo-Iweala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.