Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,371 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Okagbare, A Great Athlete, Should Be Celebrated= Kalu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okagbare, A Great Athlete, Should Be Celebrated= Kalu (509 Views)

No ManCity Player Celebrated Iheanacho Goal Against Southampton. Why? / Lesbian Athlete Caster Semenya Marries Longtime Girlfriend (Photos) / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Okagbare, A Great Athlete, Should Be Celebrated= Kalu by andyanders: 3:20pm On Aug 24, 2013
Former Abia state governor Dr.Orji Uzor Kalu has threatened to embark on a One -Man protest match to the Presidency unless medals winning Blessing Okagbare got rewarded as much as African champions Super Eagles.

Said Kalu: “I feel for Okagbare.Never in our history did anyone single handedly win all the country’s medals in a senior global competition.Okagbare achieved that in Moscow,yet nobody is planning a Presidential reception for this great athlete.”

Speaking further,the ex-governor explained that the Eagles got a good deal after their Nations Cup glory,a far cry from two World Championships medals by an individual.

“Without taking away anything from our beloved Eagles,i do not think they are World class.They never won an Olympic medal,never played in the quarter-finals of the World Cup,nor in the Semis of the Confederations Cup.

Okagbare is on higher ground,having won Olympic bronze in 2008,and now silver and gold.She is more than an African champion and should be rewarded for her feat even if she did not win gold,” he added.

On the protest march, Kalu said, “I will march to the First Lady’s office first.I know this government is gender sensitive.In 1996, Tongan super heavyweight boxer Paea Wolfgramm,the man who beat Duncan Dokiwari in the Atlanta’96 semis and loser to Vladmir Klichko in the final due to injury, caused King Taufa’ahou to announce public holidays in his honour

Now, if a country of about 110,000 people could do that for a silver winner, why would our own country of 170 million sports lovers fail to honour this one-woman riot squad?”

Kalu reminded compatriots that the last time Nigeria went for a big competition in Moscow,nothing came out of it.”Yes,the Moscow ‘80 Olympics ended in disaster.Our best was seventh position in the men’s 4×100 relay.

The quartet of Hammeed Adio,Kayode Elegbede,Samson Oyeledun and Peter Okodogbe made the final.Remember, the Americans,the Brits and West Germans were absent.This year,they all came and Blessing helped us with two medals.Please give it to her”.
Source: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/sports/okagbare-better-than-eagles-kalu/

I think the Federal government should celebrate this great athlete that has done the country proud.
Let the Federal government also give her same millions and honour her as done for eagles because her achievements has not been equaled.
Re: Okagbare, A Great Athlete, Should Be Celebrated= Kalu by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 24, 2013
true talk...we nairalanders cud also show our appreciation by contributing 2 celebrate her...send all contributions 2 dis account number #1001289556.... Tanx my fellow patriots
Re: Okagbare, A Great Athlete, Should Be Celebrated= Kalu by andyanders: 7:18pm On Aug 24, 2013
Why must our young women who has given their individual contributions to this great country not celebrated?

If we talk of the female team, the same disparity when compared to their mail counterpart. Man and woman are the same in the sight of God and whatever a man could not achieve and a woman goes ahead to get that done, we all should celebrate them same way we celebrate our male football team players and athletes.

Therefore, I plead to the authorities concerted to please, do something fast and let this lady, Okagbere be celebrated.

(1) (Reply)

Who Dazzles Today????? / Nigeria Plan Smash And Grab / Ethiopia Intensify Preparations For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.