Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,559 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband (1484 Views)

Why Do Some Married Women Enjoy Their Husband Begging For Sex? / To Women: If You Can't Control Your Mouth Don't Marry! / HOT TOPIC: Advice For Married Women Denying Their Husband Conjugal "Rights" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by amberella: 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2008
My Nigerian dad (in-law) has a daughter who is married to a congressman. He refers to her as "the one who is married to the congressman" instead of by her name.

Can someone explain this to me? Is this a common thing for a father to do?
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by debosky(m): 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2008
If the husband is more 'important' or known or has a more visible social status, then yes, it may be done

It happens the other way as well - my son married to the vice-president's daughter, or such uses.

it is simply a way of referring to someone in a way that they'll be easily recognizable and nothing more.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by Duduknight(m): 3:00pm On Jun 11, 2008
@ poster
Nigerians like to flaunt success
E.g ' My son, the one who schooled in the United Kingdom' or 'My daughter who is the assistant to the commissioner'.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by dexon: 9:18pm On Jun 11, 2008
Are you a young, beautiful and aspiring model to be? Are you intelligent in your own right and have what it takes to make it in your chosen career? If your answer is yes and you are blessed with all these natural talents then, why do you still find it difficult to make ahead way in you modeling career?

Well, help is on the way for you all for FREE. We are a group of young minds ready to contribute our own quota to your success for FREE. Are you shocked that we will do all this for free? Well, that's true. We will help to provide you with all the exposure that you need as well as giving you a face to our high network of world wide audience.

Here is all you need to do to benefit from this amazing opportunity. Send to us two (2) scanned copies of your most recent photographs, your personal contact ( Phone and Email) and a brief information about yourself not less than 100 words. What we will now do is to put your pictures on our popular fashion website for free. I know you are already smiling to yourself now. Yeah thats the truth and this will help swell your growing profile.

Our website receives thousands of visits from Fashion Icons, Designers and Modeling Agents from the United States, Europe and indeed Africa. All these Fashion Gurus are simply looking for young talented Models like yourself . And if you are lucky or favored they will contact you with the information you have provided.

www.fashionsmix..com

Be Fast.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by cescky(m): 1:54pm On Jun 13, 2008
amber_ella:

My Nigerian dad (in-law) has a daughter who is married to a congressman. He refers to her as "the one who is married to the congressman" instead of by her name.

Can someone explain this to me? Is this a common thing for a father to do?

theres no hidden meaning,its just nigerian english or miscontructed english.i doubt if the speakers implying anything,so dont get ur self wrked up for nothing cool
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by Ezinwannem: 5:51pm On Jun 13, 2008
It is the way Nigerian society is socially constructed…….I have a story that anytime I remember it I laugh…,
It was women’s club’s monthly meeting and they usually have new members which allows for all members introduction again. There was this particular lady that loves to do shakara with the fact that her hubby is a Medical Doctor at UNTH………….so when the introduction started, as always she said “I am Mrs. Chinenye Okafor (not real name), the wife of Dr. Okafor……so one of the newly members who also doesn’t hear one got up and said “ we don’t want to know who your husband is, rather who you are”, lol…, and immediately the lady said “ anyways, my name is Dr. Chioma Okolo (not real name)”…lol
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by skyone(m): 5:54pm On Jun 13, 2008
The root of it is poverty(ise) and ignorance.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by seefar: 7:25pm On Jun 13, 2008
thanks for the post man.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by magogo: 1:07am On Mar 04, 2011
skyone:

The root of it is poverty(ise) and ignorance.

I totally agree. We Nigerians need a reality check  sad
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by mamagee3(f): 2:31am On Mar 04, 2011
This has nothing to do with fathers in general. . .It's just a preferential thing.

And that doesn't mean he doesn't call by her real name, he's probably trying to bring out emotions from her.

It doesn't mean that's the only thing he calls her.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by harakiri(m): 2:29pm On Mar 04, 2011
This reminds me of an incident that happened a few years back. A woman (crazy lady. . .lol) bashed my car from behind. I don't know what she was thinking or doing at the time but we were in slow moving traffic and the extent of the damage indicated that she moved her vehicle with full force. Long story short, she was already at my window even before i came down from my vehicle, screaming at the top of her voice of the damages i have done to her car (see me see wahala). I came down to check out my wrecked tail lights and bumper. Her's was a broken head light and a slight dent to the grill. I was trying to calm her down and let her know that she was indeed the one at fault coz she bashed me from behind. Even fellow drivers were trying to call her to order. That infuriated her the more.

Next thing, she screamed at the top of her voice "Do you know who i am". . ."Do you know who my HUSBAND is". . ."My husband is so so so at so so and so Police Station". . ."in fact, you will smell your yansh today". It all seemed like a joke but before i realized how seriously mad this woman was, two police men in plain clothes arrived at the scene, got into my car and we ended up in SARS unit ikeja (Special Anti-Robbery Squad! ! ! shocked). As luck would have it, the CP (who was evidently miles ahead in rank than her husband) happened to be a close family friend and the "case" changed. The same "arresting" officers started coaxing me file a report and open a case file on her so that they could keep her behind bars at least for the night (this was after i had doled out some money). I declined.

Memories of that day never fail to amuse me.
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by Blazay(m): 9:08am On Mar 05, 2011
Did the woman complain?
So, which one is my own business? undecided
Re: Referring To Women In Terms Of Their Husband by Brite02(m): 9:23am On Mar 05, 2011
@OP. Iz a general fin in 9ja. A man wif social status prefer 2b knwn wit his title rather than d order. . . They see it as mark of respect n loyality blah blah.

C'mon u cant go around & cal a chief by his name<<<< it z a mark of disrespect e.t.c

U feel me?

(1) (Reply)

Brother And Sister / Hints On What To Look Out For In A Relationship / Husband Breaks Down Testifying Against Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.