Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Atheist Basics..... - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Basics..... (1544 Views)

Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Atheist Quotes. / The Reasons You Must Stop Arguing With Atheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Basics..... by MrTroll(m): 11:43am On Aug 28, 2013
lahchi:
I strongly believe a being had something to do with the creation of this world. The Bible further made me understand that God which is a Supernatural Being created this world. If you choose not to accept the fact that God exist and even created you, how come did you come to exist? There should be a valid reason for every word you use in answering this question.
undecided Is this your valid information? Like seriously? Ok.

For me, i strongly believe the Almighty Arakh created the whole universe. In the holy book of Whamdum says so and the Almighty Arakh will punish all unbelievers.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by UyiIredia(m): 11:44am On Aug 28, 2013
jayriginal:

You didnt directly answer my question.

Fair enough. My answer is yes. Let's see if you can counter it well or not.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by UyiIredia(m): 11:47am On Aug 28, 2013
Mr Troll: undecided Is this your valid information? Like seriously? Ok.

For me, i strongly believe the Almighty Arakh created the whole universe. In the holy book of Whamdum says so and the Almighty Arakh will punish all unbelievers.

I am atheist. I lack a belief in Arakh. This is not a belief or a result of a belief, I simply don't believe in a Supreme Being called Arakh.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by MrTroll(m): 12:18pm On Aug 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I am atheist. I lack a belief in Arakh. This is not a belief or a result of a belief, I simply don't believe in a Supreme Being called Arakh.
Well, good for you. Await the supreme and just punishment of the great and mighty Arakh in the valley of a thousand dry bones for all eternity!!!
Re: Atheist Basics..... by jayriginal: 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Fair enough. My answer is yes. Let's see if you can counter it well or not.

Ok. Just to be clear, you are saying that when a judge releases an accused due to a lack of evidence, it can be paraphrased as saying that he believes the accused is innocent.

Actually, this is not correct. It simply means from the evidence brought forward, he has no reason to believe the man is guilty and not that he believes that the man is innocent. The man could very well be guilty, but there is no evidence to establish his guilt hence his being released for lack of evidence. Its a situation that has a couple of permutations and therefore there is more than one way to interpret it.

For you, not believing in God means the person believes there is no God. This is false.

If I dont believe in God, thats all it establishes (that I do not believe). You cannot rely on that statement to state that I believe there is no God. You must ask me specifically if I believe there is no God rather than assume.

Where will you place the category of people who are neutral? Those people who will say, "maybe there is a God, maybe there isnt, I dont know". Those people cannot be said to believe in God, neither can they be said to believe there is no God.

Let me twist it a bit.

If I say "I believe there is no God", then you can automatically conclude that I do not believe in God. You know why this is different? Because believing there is no God excludes the possibility that I believe in God. It also excludes the possibility that I may or may not believe. It is a very conclusive statement.

On the other hand, "I dont believe in God" is open ended and leaves a lot of possibilities open which is why you cannot rely on it to assume the persons definitive position on the subject.

You have to note that the key word here is belief.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by MrTroll(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2013
@Jay, you're wasting your time man. . .
Re: Atheist Basics..... by UyiIredia(m): 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
jayriginal:

Ok. Just to be clear, you are saying that when a judge releases an accused due to a lack of evidence, it can be paraphrased as saying that he believes the accused is innocent.

Sure.

jayriginal:

Actually, this is not correct.

It is.

jayriginal:
It simply means from the evidence brought forward, he has no reason to believe the man is guilty and not that he believes that the man is innocent.

Not guilty = innocent. I stated that one is presumed innocent until proven guilty. So if he doesn't believe the man is guilty, the man is believed to be innocent.

jayriginal:
The man could very well be guilty, but there is no evidence to establish his guilt hence his being released for lack of evidence.

Sure, sure.

jayriginal:
Its a situation that has a couple of permutations and therefore there is more than one way to interpret it.

There are two choices in the court, innocent or guilty. In some cases, out-of-court settlement is allowed.

jayriginal:
For you, not believing in God means the person believes there is no God. This is false.

It is true, not false.

jayriginal:
If I dont believe in God, thats all it establishes (that I do not believe).

At least, you BELIEVE you don't believe in God.

jayriginal:
You cannot rely on that statement to state that I believe there is no God.

I can and have.

jayriginal:
You must ask me specifically if I believe there is no God rather than assume.

Assumptions work fine but I'll say mine is a valid inference.

jayriginal:
Where will you place the category of people who are neutral?

The only truly nuetral things are organisms without sufficient intellect eg mosquitoes, dogs and dolphins or non-living things.

jayriginal:
Those people who will say, "maybe there is a God, maybe there isnt, I dont know". Those people cannot be said to believe in God, neither can they be said to believe there is no God.

No, they can. If they can say yes to the question 'Do you believe in God ?' they are shown not to be atheist. Otherwise, they are atheists.

jayriginal:
Let me twist it a bit.

Okay.

jayriginal:
If I say "I believe there is no God", then you can automatically conclude that I do not believe in God.

Sure.

jayriginal:
You know why this is different? Because believing there is no God excludes the possibility that I believe in God.

Yes.

jayriginal:
It also excludes the possibility that I may or may not believe. It is a very conclusive statement.

Yes.

jayriginal:
On the other hand, "I dont believe in God" is open ended and leaves a lot of possibilities open which is why you cannot rely on it to assume the persons definitive position on the subject.

No it isn't. Saying you do not believe is a way of rehashing the statement you believe there is no God. If I don't believe jayriginal is a man it is belcause I believe that jayriginal IS NOT a man. Note the word play. I can also say Christians don't believe there is no God who sent Jesus to die for man and fraudulently claim it is open-ended.

jayriginal:
You have to note that the key word here is belief.

Indeed. And for a queer reason, you believe that 'I don't believe in God' differs from 'I believe there's no God' in meaning.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by jayriginal: 4:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
Uyi, I am surprised at your responses. I would go line for line with you but I am pretty sure nothing will come out of it.

I think I have been as clear as possible and if the above is your response, then further discourse is unlikely to persuade you.

Cheers.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by MrTroll(m): 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2013
jayriginal: Uyi, I am surprised at your responses. I would go line for line with you but I am pretty sure nothing will come out of it.

I think I have been as clear as possible and if the above is your response, then further discourse is unlikely to persuade you.

Cheers.
i told you so tongue
Uyi Anony: At least you believe you don't believe in god.
smdh.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by jayriginal: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2013
Mr Troll: i told you so tongue
smdh.

@ Mr Troll, that was the thing that dumbfounded me most of all. Uyi saying that I believe that I do not believe in God. After seeing that, I decided to heed your advice and rest.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by wiegraf: 9:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
@uyinony uyiradium, at least you're willing to admit to obfuscating (you'll soon be 'in too deep' though, beyond the point of salvation, you'll forget what's true for eg). Anyhow, let's see

I think there's more of a chance of the moon being composed of garri than yah'weh existing. Your version of deist god (and @ds as well), which frankly don't look like deist gods to me, are just a bit less likely. Now, as for proper, vague, clockmakers I see absolutely no reason to believe they exist, but I cannot categorically say they do not exist (especially as the claims made about those gods are vague and untestable). So note, I do not say it's impossible, I just say it's highly unlikely and, more importantly perhaps, totally unnecessary. Absolutely no need to add these and so irrelevant/immaterial to just about any issue. If one brings evidence for any of these of course I'll be willing to listen.

Other atheists have different views (we all do), sometimes wildly different to mine. Can you spot the common denominator?

The only thing you could claim someone believed in was believing there was not enough evidence, and that is a fact. No belief necessary for that, even deluded agree their assertions are untestable, yes?

So, no evidence = no belief, simples... Doesn't mean one necessarily believes in the opposite. That's silly. Do you even think everything has an opposite?

And this ignores certain nuance with the nature of belief sef, or do you believe in gravity?
Re: Atheist Basics..... by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
jayriginal: Uyi, I am surprised at your responses. I would go line for line with you but I am pretty sure nothing will come out of it.

Cheers.

Uyi is a blockhead who is ironically more fooolish than when he was a christian.

The guy just cant meet simple logic
Re: Atheist Basics..... by UyiIredia(m): 10:23pm On Aug 28, 2013
wiegraf: @uyinony uyiradium, at least you're willing to admit to obfuscating (you'll soon be 'in too deep' though, beyond the point of salvation, you'll forget what's true for eg). Anyhow, let's see

I think there's more of a chance of the moon being composed of garri than yah'weh existing. Your version of deist god (and @ds as well), which frankly don't look like deist gods to me, are just a bit less likely. Now, as for proper, vague, clockmakers I see absolutely no reason to believe they exist, but I cannot categorically say they do not exist (especially as the claims made about those gods are vague and untestable). So note, I do not say it's impossible, I just say it's highly unlikely and, more importantly perhaps, totally unnecessary. Absolutely no need to add these and so irrelevant/immaterial to just about any issue. If one brings evidence for any of these of course I'll be willing to listen.

Other atheists have different views (we all do), sometimes wildly different to mine. Can you spot the common denominator?

The only thing you could claim someone believed in was believing there was not enough evidence, and that is a fact. No belief necessary for that, even deluded agree their assertions are untestable, yes?

So, no evidence = no belief, simples... Doesn't mean one necessarily believes in the opposite. That's silly. Do you even think everything has an opposite?

And this ignores certain nuance with the nature of belief sef, or do you believe in gravity?

What doesn't have an opposite ?
Re: Atheist Basics..... by UyiIredia(m): 10:37pm On Aug 28, 2013

Cheers.

Of course nothing will come out of it, for I'm much determined that it is a patent fraud to call atheism a lack of belief and deny at the same time atheism isn't a belief. That it is irksome to have to argue (as I've done with thehomer) that lack of belief implies passivity which is strictly applicable to non-living or insufficiently intelligent things, and that your so-called 'not having a belief' is believed in. It is bad enough I disagree with atheism as I always have, it worse to actually have to find people who claim to reason, be most inane to claim theirs involves no belief.

be·lief (b -l f )
n.

1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or
confidence in another: My belief in you is as strong as ever.
2. Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or
validity of something: His explanation of what happened defies
belief.
3. Something believed or accepted as true, especially a
particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of
persons.

Now if you aren't confident in this 'lack of belief', you don't mentally accept it valid and true that atheism is a lack of belief, atheism isn't believed by a group of persons to be a lack of belief; it becomes most clear you are being fraudulent, as humans are wont to, or the name corpse fits you, since of course, corpses cannot be said to possess a belief, IOW they lack a belief.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by wiegraf: 10:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What doesn't have an opposite ?

You?
Re: Atheist Basics..... by UyiIredia(m): 10:58pm On Aug 28, 2013
wiegraf:

You?

I think the opposite of you is me. Whilst I know you refer to me I am serious and want an answer. Save the faffing for later.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by wiegraf: 1:03am On Aug 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I think the opposite of you is me. Whilst I know you refer to me I am serious and want an answer. Save the faffing for later.

What question? The meaning of life is 42
Re: Atheist Basics..... by lahchi: 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2013
wiegraf:

Why should I care what your story book says.........

Gaddem wtf is wrong with you people??!!?

asjnfoaieunaiunfhoajenfijwoaujenfijasdjfnueranojdnfiunerandjn

You still haven't answered my question... Although do not be deceived for God is not mocked.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by MrTroll(m): 2:57pm On Aug 29, 2013
lahchi:

You still haven't answered my question... Although do not be deceived for God is not mocked.

Since you obviously missed the point, your story book is just like many others out who claim that their almighty omni omni god created the whole world without any shred of evidence whatsoever. So until you come up with something better, don't expect anybody to take you serious.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by lahchi: 11:33pm On Aug 29, 2013
Mr Troll: undecided Is this your valid information? Like seriously? Ok.

1. What is the meaning of Arakh in English?

2. What is Whamdum?
Re: Atheist Basics..... by MrTroll(m): 8:09am On Aug 30, 2013
lahchi:

1. What is the meaning of Arakh in English?

2. What is Whamdum?
Mr Troll:

Since you obviously missed the point, your story book is just like many others out who claim that their almighty omni omni god created the whole world without any shred of evidence whatsoever. So until you come up with something better, don't expect anybody to take you serious.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by wiegraf: 8:32am On Aug 30, 2013
^^^

The rumor is scientology began as a bet. Rumor, but I'm personally inclined to believe it...

You just missed your chance maybe? You could still go for it, he might not notice.

Then again, even if this candidate is lost, there are a lot of other s...errr.. who'd be willing to sign up.
Re: Atheist Basics..... by lahchi: 12:39pm On Aug 30, 2013
Everybody has got a choice to make, you made your choice, just pray you see reasons and make the right choice in truth and in spirit while you have your life with you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy*} Raksha Bandhan 2014 Messages For Brothers / Terrorism – See How Shaykh Al-Fawzân Floored Terrorists / Just In: Emmanuel Emenike Converts To Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.