Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,891 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October (2117 Views)

Akanu Ibiam International Airport Enugu Gej's Transformation Agenda In Pictures / Leveraging Akanu Ibiam International Airport (AIIA) And Ibaka Deep Seaport / Akanu Ibiam International Airport Enugu, A Viable Investment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 27, 2013
THE formal opening of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, on Saturday marked a major economic leap for the country.

The contributions that the airport would make to the economic development of the South East zone and surrounding States are too important to be consigned to a political decision.

Politics, the type that many advocate can change the country, made Enugu possible. From President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua who initiated the re-construction of the airport to President Goodluck Jonathan who promised quick completion of the project during his campaign, the fact is that the airport is important for the eastern flank of Nigeria.

The international airport in Enugu, named after a former Governor of Eastern Region, a former Vice President of the World Council of Churches, who lived an exemplary life of quietude, away from the ostentatious cravings of politicians, is a strong economic platform and users have embraced it.

Businesses that depend so much on travels to Asia would benefit from one of the moves that would decongest Lagos.

Those who thought that the decision to fly internationally from Enugu was uneconomical would be stunned to know that the inaugural flight sold out.

There are more stunning statistics. Enough passengers have lined up to fly from Enugu; flights are fully booked into October. Ethiopian Airlines, the only one on the route at the moment, has scheduled to fly four times a week from Enugu in response to demand. Other airlines are indicating interests in Enugu.

The bulk of travellers to Asia, connecting through Addis Ababa, Ethiopian’s hub, are business people from Aba, Nnewi and Onitsha. Before international flights from Enugu, they had to travel to Lagos to make international connections. Nearby States like Benue, some parts of Kogi, and Delta would have Enugu as alternative to Abuja and Lagos.

Akanu Ibiam International Airport is an important strategic handle in the decongestion of Lagos, whose airport needs expansion, but can barely halt for the work to be done. In commending President Jonathan for the inauguration of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, he should also be asked to do more.

More legacy projects like the airport in Enugu are required to fasten the development of the country. The facilities required may vary from one part of the country to the other. The point remains, however, if projects as important as the Enugu airport are located in different parts of the country, they would spread access to major developments.

People are waiting to see if Akanu Ibiam International Airport would meet the expectations that informed its construction.

A further point needs to be made that peace and security are important for the realisation of projects like Enugu international airport

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/akanu-ibiam-international-airport/
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by kettykin: 8:08am On Aug 27, 2013
There are more stunning statistics. Enough passengers have lined up to fly from Enugu; flights are fully booked into October. Ethiopian Airlines, the only one on the route at the moment, has scheduled to fly four times a week from Enugu in response to demand. Other airlines are indicating interests in Enugu.The bulk of travellers to Asia, connecting through Addis Ababa, Ethiopian’s hub, are business people from Aba, Nnewi and Onitsha. Before international flights from Enugu, they had to travel to Lagos to make international connections. Nearby States like Benue, some parts of Kogi, and Delta would have Enugu as alternative to Abuja and Lagos.

This is definitely going to stimulate the enugu and the Eastern economic hemisphere , like new hotels around the airport, aviation fuel business for oil company, airport taxi, airport parking fees, tickets sales, travel agencies, restaurant, tourism, banks to fund these businesses, airport workers, ticketing and reservation staff, aeronautical engieers and technicians on stsnd by to service and maintain aircraft before taking off, possibly a new eastern owned airline that would compliment. The eastern region should brace up for an economic recovery and revolution

1 Like

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by deor03(m): 8:17am On Aug 27, 2013
Hopefully, in line with the anticipated growth, FAAN can invest further on facilities at the airport.

More airlines will also open up, especially the airlines flying to China
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by tsomething: 8:28am On Aug 27, 2013
kettykin:

This is definitely going to stimulate the enugu and the Eastern economic hemisphere , like new hotels around the airport, aviation fuel business for oil company, airport taxi, airport parking fees, tickets sales, travel agencies, restaurant, tourism, banks to fund these businesses, airport workers, ticketing and reservation staff, aeronautical engieers and technicians on stsnd by to service and maintain aircraft before taking off, possibly a new eastern owned airline that would compliment. The eastern region should brace up for an economic recovery and revolution

That the multiplier effects of one good step . Lazy ones will still be shouting on Nairaland that GEJ hasn't created jobs, while the smart ones are taking advantage of the opportunity created.

Kudos to GEJ, for correcting the many inbalances in our country
Kudos to my South East brothers who are making the best use of this opportunity created by GEJ
Kudos to Princess Stella Odua for aggressively transforming our Aviation sector despite distractions and annoying criticisms
Kudos to the sadists on this forum who saw this as a wasteful venture, your venom have challenged the Southeast boys to ensure that they make a statement with this opportunity .
Lastly Kudos to Ethiopian airways for agreeing to take the risk of venturing into a route no one has tried, not minding the losses you would have counted if the patronage wasn't favorable

3 Likes

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by onuleo(m): 8:44am On Aug 27, 2013
O bu kwa na Aba di otu kedu kwanu ka Umuahia ga di? If october z lyk dz how december go be? I do my mouth kpichikum.

2 Likes

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by IGBOSON1: 8:51am On Aug 27, 2013
Dear Lord....Christmas period will be something else! shocked

Besides what Kettykin said, i foresee a rise in more entrepreneurs from Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi linking with the far east. If we can get the power situation and inter-city connections (roads and rail) right, then expect an exponential growth in commerce, industries and tourism in the entire South East, South South and nearby states in the Middle-belt!
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 27, 2013
This isn't surprising.

Igbos are the most widely-travelled in Nigeria (taken as a group).

2 Likes

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by ba7man(m): 9:13am On Aug 27, 2013
One simple Airport....Large economic implication !!!

1 Like

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by EkoAtlantic: 9:14am On Aug 27, 2013
Excellent development.

3 Likes

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by dridowu: 9:47am On Aug 27, 2013
@least pressure will be reduce in lasgidi and abj

1 Like

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by kettykin: 9:50am On Aug 27, 2013
I think going forward from October to December to Febuary 2014 will be rush hour for the Enugu international Airport

1 Like

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Reptyle(m): 11:27am On Aug 27, 2013
Great news!!!
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by gidson12(m): 11:51am On Aug 27, 2013
Igbo Delta:

IS THIS THE EKO ATLANTIC I KNOW? I THINK SOMEONE HAVE HACKED THIS USER ID'S ACCOUNT

surprised too
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
gidson12:

surprised too
me three
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Great development.
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by pacioti: 1:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
eGuerrilla: Great development.
even you eGuerrilla
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by ejiyke2007(m): 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
I am happy
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 27, 2013
Good job gej, i expect domestic flights to Enugu would triple. great achievement

1 Like

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
Thanks to late Umar Musa Yar'adua for initiating the reconstruction of the Airport. If not you,Jona wouldn't have thought of starting the project. May your soul RIP. cool

grin grin
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 27, 2013
berem: Thanks to late Umar Musa Yar'adua for initiating the reconstruction of the Airport. If not you,Jona wouldn't have thought of starting the project. May your soul RIP. cool

grin grin
ah you don spoil market, when these people were about reaching climax, choi. Btw I heard Obj also started the railway, power plants, and major road. Wetin Oga gej come contribute na? Anyway continuity is good
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by PapaBrowne(m): 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
Obiagelli:
ah you don spoil market, when these people were about reaching climax, choi. Btw I heard Obj also started the railway, power plants, and major road. Wetin Oga gej come contribute na? Anyway continuity is good

Ha, did you say OBJ started railway? Noo. It was actually started by Lord Lugard. Even the power plants were started way before our independence. The only thing that has been started recently is BRT. Fashola is the grandmaster. Everyother is a failure.
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
Obiagelli:
Ya it is sure good but I don't believe OBJ initiated any good project until he left office o. That one na just to occupy space and unleash terror on some communities.
Smh! I wish it was Yar'Adua that ruled in place of OBJ sincerely speaking.
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by AustineE1: 2:49pm On Aug 27, 2013
Obiagelli:
the two ex-president may ve started those projects for just political reasons but do they really ve the political will to complete them!Nigeria is littered with so many uncompleted projects from the past,dont forget obj's (IPP)power projects,benin-Ore road,portharcourt-owerri road,etc which were started just to get vote from certain regions!GEJ stands out for his special love in completing of projects and equally initiating quite a number of others.

2 Likes

Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Ha, did you say OBJ started railway? Noo. It was actually started by Lord Lugard. Even the power plants were started way before our independence. The only thing that has been started recently is BRT. Fashola is the grandmaster. Everyother is a failure.
bros Google is your friend now or better still ask sincere 9gerian, he can't deny it, same for the power plants that are being commissioned today.

www.nigerianmuse.com/20080319201221zg/sections/other-peoples-essays/obasanjo-s-8-3b-rail-deal-unsettles-yar-adua/
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2013
Austine.E:

the two ex-president may ve started those projects for just political reasons but do they really ve the political will to complete them!Nigeria is littered with so many uncompleted projects from the past,dont forget obj's (IPP)power projects,benin-Ore road,portharcourt-owerri road,etc which were started just to get vote from certain regions!GEJ stands out for his special love in completing of projects and equally initiating quite a number of others.
but i congratulated him on his continuity nah, anyways obj completed some projects that have been mismanaged by gej, Abuja stadium comes to mind, excess crude account and so on. anyways they are all pdp Crooks
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2013
Obiagelli:
Credit should be given to who started the project and not who finished it. Or is it the other way round?
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Tintinix: 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hahahahahaha!
Now we are attributing the glory to OBJ and late Yaradua!
Is ok! At least you guys cannot deny the developmental strides ongoing in the country!
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 27, 2013
berem: Credit should be given to who started the project and not who finished it. Or is it the other way round?
abeg help me ask them o, na person wey get brain dey start project now grin
Re: Akanu Ibiam International Airport: Flights Are Fully Booked Into October by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
Obiagelli:
abeg help me ask them o, na person wey get brain dey start project now grin
hahaha! i was right afterall! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The King Who Banned Traditional Religion In Warri / Peter Obi Set To Dump APGA For PDP / APC Does Not Have What It Takes To Change Nigeria-- Ribadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.