Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! (1463 Views)

You Are Still A Dictator -PDP Tells Buhari ….APC Anti-Corruption Crusade, A Sham / Former Lagos Governor Fashola In Mecca (Photo) / From The Governors, Fashola Is The Only One Fit To Be President. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 27, 2013
Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola of lagos state has resorted to making lagos uneasy for the resident of the state. First after getting the support of okada riders in his campaign,he later decided to ban them. He has also deported people from the state,fashola has now ban mairuwa which means people that sell water in gallons when his administration cannot provide clean and portable water for residents in lagos state. This same water sellers supply water from house to house and it has been the source of getting water in some part of lagos state for the past two years,now Fashola has ban them. How does he expect people to get water now since it is very essential? And why is this same man that people initially like making life unbearable for the resident? He should also remember that puting okada riders,mairuwa and others out of business will pose danger to the state since they won't have any source of income.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 27, 2013
I prefer his dictatorship to the retarding governor we have in Kogi state which happens to be your own state. I wish we could have more dictators like Fashola, Adams Oshomole, Amuson, Okorocha amongst others.

Babes the cost of true development is high, try to understand.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 27, 2013
teeo: I prefer his dictatorship to the retarding governor we have in Kogi state which happens to be your own state. I wish we could have more dictators like Fashola, Adams Oshomole, Amuson, Okorocha amongst others.

A good leader should put into consideration so many things before taking a decision but fashola prefers dictating and making life uneasy for people which is very bad. Before he ban anything in the state,he should make sure there is an alternative measure in place so people will not have to suffer so much.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Aphrygian(m): 8:46am On Aug 27, 2013
Bla bla,buh if ebele jonathan is like him i wil vote 4 him 4 second term.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Ngwakwe: 8:53am On Aug 27, 2013
Have you ever seen a villager throw away a kerosene lantern because of its disadvantages or in the name of development without an alternative.

teeo: I prefer his dictatorship to the retarding governor we have in Kogi state which happens to be your own state. I wish we could have more dictators like Fashola, Adams Oshomole, Amuson, Okorocha amongst others.

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Peinstein: 8:57am On Aug 27, 2013
Fashola has not changed, he has been consistent with his policies, the problem is we are beginning to feel the effects day by day. That is the price we have to pay to set things back in motion for effective development. Sure in the process he has made a lot of mistakes, but how else would Lagos have been better if he had not taken the bull by the horn. You need a strong man to lead Lagos and Nigeria in general; all the Awolowo and Azikiwe we praise today were equally criticised in their times yet the end justifed the means they employed. They also made mistakes, but they sure made more successes than errors. I understand some of Fashola's policies are affecting you negatively, but more of those policies are also making your life better.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by joseph1832(m): 9:01am On Aug 27, 2013
Raji Fashola is an elite who runs an elitist government! I ask: what policies have Fashola's administration put forward that has sole benifitted the common man?
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: Have you ever seen a villager throw away a kerosene lantern because of its disadvantages or in the name of development without an alternative.

If you wish to keep living life as a villager you could as well move back to the village for us that want to embrace developmental strides we would pay the cost for the progress in the long run. Anyways your perspective is as upside down as your thoughts.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by joseph1832(m): 9:05am On Aug 27, 2013
Peinstein: Fashola has not changed, he has been consistent with his policies, the problem is we are beginning to feel the effects day by day. That is the price we have to pay to set things back in motion for effective development. Sure in the process he has made a lot of mistakes, but how else would Lagos have been better if he had not taken the bull by the horn. You need a strong man to lead Lagos and Nigeria in general; all the Awolowo and Azikiwe we praise today were equally criticised in their times yet the end justifed the means they employed. They also made mistakes, but they sure made more successes than errors. I understand some of Fashola's policies are affecting you negatively, but more of those policies are also making your life better.
But when these so call mistakes only affect a particular cadre of people doesn't that call for suspicion or better still questioning?.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 27, 2013
arcbabe: A good leader should put into consideration so many things before taking a decision but fashola prefers dictating and making life uneasy for people which is very bad. Before he ban anything in the state,he should make sure there is an alternative measure in place so people will not have to suffer so much.

Lagosians don't really miss the Okada as much as you think, it's a new way of life and we are gradually getting used to it. The BRT buses are doing fine, light rail trains is on its way, jetty transportation would soon get a better boost, so what are talking about. How much more alternative do you need, and remember igbobi hospital has reduced in patronage because okada riders are no longer on our highway's.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by joseph1832(m): 9:09am On Aug 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: Have you ever seen a villager throw away a kerosene lantern because of its disadvantages or in the name of development without an alternative.

The unique thing with villagers is that they always refuse to accept change. Mind you this doesn't mean when an alternative comes they won't accept it. You just have to convince them...
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Tolexander: 9:11am On Aug 27, 2013
Do you mean fashola is leading a dictator?
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Peinstein: 9:28am On Aug 27, 2013
joseph1832:
But when these so call mistakes only affect a particular cadre of people doesn't that call for suspicion or better still questioning?.

It hasnt been one sided bro. Keke marwa was banned in areas where our working class is located. Toll gates were installed for roads constructed in highbrow areas. Sure the poor have had their bad share and will feel it more cos they do not have much options, but these lagos where i live in doesnt set policies exclusively for the purpose of affecting the poor.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by joseph1832(m): 9:35am On Aug 27, 2013
Peinstein:

It hasnt been one sided bro. Keke marwa was banned in areas where our working class is located. Toll gates were installed for roads constructed in highbrow areas. Sure the poor have had their bad share and will feel it more cos they do not have much options, but these lagos where i live in doesnt set policies exclusively for the purpose of affecting the poor.
You point was well stated. And you said it yourself that the poor feel the pain more than the wealthy. And just so you know, the working class can't really be said to be poor.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Ngwakwe: 9:37am On Aug 27, 2013
Have Fashola provided access to pipe borne water to every home in Lagos State to warrant banning of mairuwa?

How is stopping people that sell water in gallons taken as development when his administration cannot provide clean and portable water for residents in lagos state.

Which one should come first? Banning Mairuwa or providing access to portable water for every home?

Inconsiderate hypocrites with dead and selfish conscience can't know or differentiate human development and people oriented polices from Elite's Âuthocraticism.

teeo:

If you wish to keep living life as a villager you could as well move back to the village for us that want to embrace developmental strides we would pay the cost for the progress in the long run. Anyways your perspective is as upside down as your thoughts.

joseph1832:
The unique thing with villagers is that they always refuse to accept change. Mind you this doesn't mean when an alternative comes they won't accept it. You just have to convince them...

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by joseph1832(m): 9:56am On Aug 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: Have Fashola provided access to pipe borne water to every home in Lagos State to warrant banning of mairuwa?

How is stopping people that sell water in gallons taken as development when his administration cannot provide clean and portable water for residents in lagos state.

Which one should come first? Banning Mairuwa or providing access to portable water for every home?

Inconsiderate hypocrites with dead and selfish conscience can't know or differentiate human development and people oriented polices from Elite's Âuthocraticism.
You seem to misunderstand me my friend, am not in support of Fashola banning them however
Majority of the people in Lagos provide water for themselves by drilling boreholes, by fetching themselves or by hiring people to fetch for them(mairuwa). Since he can ban mairuwa he should also ban people from fetching water.

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Peinstein: 10:12am On Aug 27, 2013
joseph1832:
You point was well stated. And you said it yourself that the poor feel the pain more than the wealthy. And just so you know, the working class can't really be said to be poor.
Yeah, what i meant by working class is our newly modified & glorified middle class. I do not doubt that the poor are feeling it more, but that is not exclusive to the Lagos' society. In all societies the poor are always the most vulverable to effects of policies, it doesnt however mean the intention of the policy makers was merely to deal with the poor. We expect our political leaders like Fashola to make more people oriented policies, but how can something be made better if they dont even make an effort.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 27, 2013
Ngwakwe: Have Fashola provided access to pipe borne water to every home in Lagos State to warrant banning of mairuwa?

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by FreeGlobe(f): 10:46am On Aug 27, 2013
Fashola will soon begin dictating to lagosians the type of underwears to wear to work. A man who is so concerned about irrelevant and peasant things he couldn't do any tangible thing with all his monthly allocations. His approach to governance is cosmetic and it is unfortunate he buys major press love for that. What is wrong with naturally providing access of water to lagosians so they don't have to patronize these sellers.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by MajHeadache: 10:52am On Aug 27, 2013
Fascist Fash
Clashes
With masses
Makes a dash
With their cash
And stashes it
In asiwaju's Mansh
Men
What a bunch of crap

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 27, 2013
Peinstein: Fashola has not changed, he has been consistent with his policies, the problem is we are beginning to feel the effects day by day. That is the price we have to pay to set things back in motion for effective development. Sure in the process he has made a lot of mistakes, but how else would Lagos have been better if he had not taken the bull by the horn. You need a strong man to lead Lagos and Nigeria in general; all the Awolowo and Azikiwe we praise today were equally criticised in their times yet the end justifed the means they employed. They also made mistakes, but they sure made more successes than errors. I understand some of Fashola's policies are affecting you negatively, but more of those policies are also making your life better.

You people excel at talking a lot without saying anything meaningful.

The OP's point is extremely clear, and she used a few examples to illustrate her point about Fashola's insensitivity and thoughtless approach to governance. why not address the specific issues SQUARELY instead of dribbling yourself into a hole with needless circumlocution.

1. Mairuwa (water vendors) have been banned, even though most parts of the state DO NOT have access to pipe-borne, portable water supply. What should residents in these areas do? What is the sense in banning their only source of water supply BEFORE putting in place an alternative? if pipe borne water was widely available across the state, would anyone bother to patronise water vendors?

2. Okada and Kede Napep were banned in most major areas (not merely "major roads" ) in the state. Since then, milions of ordinary Lagosians have been subjected to tortue and hardship in commuting around these areas, especially since the taxis are insufficient and TOO EXPENSIVE to serve as viable alternatives for short-haul commutes. What is the sense in banning okadas and keke napep without FIRST putting AFFORDABLE and SUFFICIENT alternatives in place? If taxi cabs (which are the only real alternatives to okada and keke for inner-city transportation) were widely available and affordable (as is the case in Abuja), most commuters would not complain too much.

Now, from these examples and several other examples of Fashola's dictatorship, it is clear that ONLY the poor and struggling Lagosians bear the brunt of state oppression and maltreatment. The rich and middle-class minority have bore-holes in their houses for water supply, while they also have private cars (and can afford regular taxi rides) for their transportation needs. What are the poor majority supposed to do? Suffer in silence, or wait endlessly for the governor to think up solutions or alternative measures to address their plight? Is that how serious governments elsewhere operate? By putting the cart before the horse?

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 27, 2013
Saying Fashola is a dictator is kind of far-fetched, I think Fashola falls into the category of an Elitist, he's only interested in the welfare of the privileged ones, that's why most of his policies affect poor people directly or indirectly, but the truth is that a leader can't satisfy everyone, harsh as it may sound, when Tinubu was Gov, development was minimal and there was gross misconduct and corruption, but Tinubu never implemented policies that affected the poor negatively. So as much as I don't like some of Fashola's policies, as long as the state is being developed, maybe its a necessary evil
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 27, 2013
Saying Fashola is a dictator is a bit. far-fetched, I think Fashola falls into the category of an Elitist, he's only interested in the welfare of the privileged ones, that's why most of his policies affect poor people directly or indirectly, but the truth is that a leader can't satisfy everyone, harsh as it may sound, when Tinubu was Gov, development was minimal and there was gross misconduct and corruption, but Tinubu never implemented policies that affected the poor negatively. So as much as I don't like some of Fashola's policies, as long as the state is being developed, maybe its a necessary evil
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Peinstein: 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2013
pro01:

The OP's point is extremely clear, and she used a few examples to illustrate her point about Fashola's insensitivity and thoughtless approach to governance. why not address the specific issues SQUARELY instead of dribbling yourself into a hole with needless circumlocution.

1. Mairuwa (water vendors) have been banned, even though most parts of the state DO NOT have access to pipe-borne, portable water supply. What should residents in these areas do? What is the sense in banning their only source of water supply BEFORE putting in place an alternative? if pipe borne water was widely available across the state, would anyone bother to patronise water vendors?

2. Okada and Kede Napep were banned in most major areas (not merely "major roads" ) in the state. Since then, milions of ordinary Lagosians have been subjected to tortue and hardship in commuting around these areas, especially since the taxis are insufficient and TOO EXPENSIVE to serve as viable alternatives for short-haul commutes. What is the sense in banning okadas and keke napep without FIRST putting AFFORDABLE and SUFFICIENT alternatives in place? If taxi cabs (which are the only real alternatives to okada and keke for inner-city transportation) were widely available and affordable (as is the case in Abuja), most commuters would not complain too much.

Now, from these examples and several other examples of Fashola's dictatorship, it is clear that ONLY the poor and struggling Lagosians bear the brunt of state oppression and maltreatment. The rich and middle-class minority have bore-holes in their houses for water supply, while they also have private cars (and can afford regular taxi rides) for their transportation needs. What are the poor majority supposed to do? Suffer in silence, or wait endlessly for the governor to think up solutions or alternative measures to address their plight? Is that how serious governments elsewhere operate? By putting the cart before the horse?

I have made my opinion clear subsequently. I wouldnt describe myself as being poor definitely, but the issue of Okada like some other bans have affected me as well. I know how okada helps to make business appointments faster in Victoria island in places where SUV wouldnt be of help, yet I was one of those who clamoured for a ban on okada prior to the state's ban. why? Okada was never designed for commercial transportation, it is neither a safe nor sound option. My life is more important than meeting clients on time. The problem i have with Fashola most times is making bans without making sufficient alternatives. I do not have a problem with the ban, it is the inadequacy of the alternatives I have issues with
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by bloggernaija: 12:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
If the heat of progress is getting too much for you, get the next available bus out.
Do not bother to stop over in any of the Swestern states because that heat will catch up with you soon.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by mapet: 12:33pm On Aug 27, 2013
Well I'm not in support of unwarranted insult, but your lame post itself is an insult to our collective intelligence.
arcbabe: hey are you okay? Why can't you make correction without insult,are you sick? I don't have your time.
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by mapet: 12:51pm On Aug 27, 2013
@pro01

1. The OPs points are deceptive, counter-productive, uninformed and absolute hogwash.
2. First off, there was a time in Lagos even before Tinubu's goverment, when Lagos State Water Corporation landed pipes into many homes in Lagos for a connection fee of 6,000Naira. I personally went to pay for my father's house (in Ketu)at Lagos State water corporation office at old Tollgate. Many of these infrastructures are still there and working.
3. Do you know that Lagos State Water Corporation(before Fashola's government and during and later stopped)have registered water vendors who partner with Lagos State government to extend infrastructure to unreached and difficult to reach areas, licensed to sell water and remit to government after taking their commission?
4. That aside, how is water a problem of Lagos State as some of you lot of no gooders alledged? Lagos State Water corporation is the most robust infrastructure and distribution wise in the country and continously expanding day by day.
5. Serious Landlords from time immemorial had also always provided water for their household, It costs 80k-120k minimum to sink a borehole, not to talk of open well......
6. But the question that bothers answers are these
a. Lagos Water Corporation charges homes simply a paltry 500Naira a month. Do these people know?
b. Have their Landlords activated the water provided in those streets?
c. Have any of these people questioned their Landlords why are their no water in their homes?
7. Have any of you considered the health effects of patronising the Mairuwa? Have you drawn a nexus between the Mairuwa and the health side-effects like Cholera etc
8. Okada and Keke Maruwa's ban is justified. Except you want to wallow in deceit, or you have alterior motive? why would an Okada or Keke Marwa be on highways for starters. Or is it the high spate of roberies aided by the Okada quick getaway that we prefer? We witness assination right on Ikorodu road @ Anthony when a young medical doctor was shot and the assailants got away on Okada. We have the stats on the reduction in crime incidents and Okada related incidents in hospitals to show for it. Marwa still operate is inner roads. Marwa operates within streets in VI, Surulere, Ikeja, Iyana Ipaja and many other places, so what's the issue......you guys are simply crying when the berieved have none
9. For me, the greatest of all deception is when you guys that have not set foot on Lagos soil, tell us what is the problem of Lagos....haba.......
pro01:

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Confusionist(m): 12:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
arcbabe: hey are you okay? Why can't you make correction without insult,are you sick? I don't have your time.
grin
Sorry abt dt wink
Re: Governor Fashola Is A Dictator!!! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 27, 2013

The problem i have with Fashola most times is making bans without making sufficient alternatives. I do not have a problem with the ban, it is the inadequacy of the alternatives I have issues with

That is ALL that matters. Serious and sensible governors in saner societies would adopt a strategic approach to problem-solving and development. What do I mean?

If a serious governor feels that water vendors, Okadas, and keke napeps are undesirable and need to be phased out, he MUST begin by strategic thinking - in the attempt to address certain key questions:

1. Did water vendors, okadas, keke napeps, etc arise in response to certain NEEDS of the populace, or are they merely nuisances that do not serve any body's interests?

2. If they indeed cater to certain needs, then what are those NEEDS, and what percentage of the population have those needs and therefore rely on the services of water vendors, okadas, and keke napeps?

2. Are there better, more efficient, more affordable, and therefore more desirable ways of addressing the NEEDS that necessitated the emergence of these "undesirable" service providers?

3. If there are yet no alternatives, can alternatives be found and put in place, and if yes, how long will it take to put the alternatives in place?

3. If there are no viable alternatives, and no hope for any viable alternatives in the near future, is it sensible to ban the existing service-providers who meet the NEEDS of millions of the populace?

4. If these 'undesirable' service-providers are banned, in spite of the absence and improbability of alternatives, what will be the effect on the welfare, well-being, and quality of life of the populace, who inevitably suffer the trauma and hardship associated with unmet needs?

- - - - - -

Governance is not a tea party. These clowns are not elected to enjoy siren-blaring convoy rides, stately mansions, private jet travel, strutting about with a chip on their shoulders and answering "His Excellency" all over the place, and enjoying the other perks that come with public office. They are elected to THINK! To SOLVE PROBLEMS! It is hard work, and there are no easy ways out or short cuts - such as simply banning this or that without first putting in place mechanisms to address peoples' needs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How National Dialogue Unsettled Opposition, Core North / Too Many Children On Nairaland Politics Section / Amaechi: "I Will Return To PDP If Goodluck Jonathan Does THIS"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.