Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Why Yahoo? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Yahoo? (1348 Views)

Hackers Steal Over 400,000 Yahoo Passwords / Learn How To Hack Yahoo Or Facebook Account For Free / Web Version of Yahoo, MSN and AOL Messenger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Yahoo? by Ashiwaju(m): 11:53am On May 31, 2006
Been wondering why yahoo has been the most successful Website today, you hardly see an individual without a yahoo account, you hardly find a website on the surface of the earth without having to do something with yahoo. What do you think is the secret behind Yahoo's achievement?

Is it the Freedom to Express your self? (the messanger,the chat rooms and the forums)
Is it the affiliation of yahoo with virtually all sects of life?
Is it the News or is it sports?

Have your say!
Re: Why Yahoo? by my2cents(m): 5:12pm On May 31, 2006
In my opinion, and I will speak for Nigeria, it is synonymous with Coke.

When the internet began worldwide, so to speak, yahoo was "the man". So naturally, everyone signed up for an account. When the internet first hit Naija, I remember the ads back then "pay N500 to open a yahoo account". Of course pple flocked to go open one, until competition set in and it became free to have an account. Now, even with onset of google et al, since naijans all started out with yahoo, it is hard to change habits. What with free chat, and free accounts, what else do most pple in Naija surf the net for?

Now, wetin remain na for person to name dem pikin yahoo (if not already) LOL

As always my 2 cents.
Re: Why Yahoo? by Bossman(m): 7:43pm On May 31, 2006
I agree. It all started with yahoo. They were the first to start with a portal, and they are still the best portal. Not sure if they were the first search engine, but they were the most successful, until google came along. Google has pretty much taken that over. And, I believe yahoo has given up. Try doing a serarch in yahoo and do the same thing in google. Yahoo's result are almost totally irrelevant, whereas google will result in an exact match. That tells me that they have given up the on the search engine part of their service.

As for free email, google is beginning to take over. Primarily because of their easy to use and more flexible interface. Another thing is the almost unlimited webspace they provide.
Re: Why Yahoo? by kazey(m): 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2006
Rather I started with Netscape then Hotmail, and so where the people all arround me. But thats early 90s sha, so I cant really say in regards to Nigerians. But I taught hotmail was the dorminant mail of choice of the past?
Re: Why Yahoo? by my2cents(m): 4:57pm On Jun 01, 2006
Nah Kazey,

Before the Internet took any shape or from, there was nothing but Yahoo! lurking the earth, nothing but Yahoo! (sorry for the exclamation mark, but am just adhering to their Trademark policy wink)
Re: Why Yahoo? by kazey(m): 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2006
my2cents:

Nah Kazey,

Before the Internet took any shape or from, there was nothing but Yahoo! lurking the earth, nothing but Yahoo! (sorry for the exclamation mark, but am just adhering to their Trademark policy wink)

I just hope you really know what you are talking about smiley
Re: Why Yahoo? by my2cents(m): 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2006
I think I do, but then again some have said of me that I am not exactly what you would call the sharpest razor in the toolbox either grin
Re: Why Yahoo? by Ashiwaju(m): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2006
Here in Nigeria and Today, yahoo still remains the biggest mail account holders and in nigeria virtually everybody started with yahoo in nigeria. I for one would say i started with yahoo in the late 90's and no doubt google remains the biggest search engine but for internet accounts, yahoo remains the largest. Unlike Hotmail and Netscape, yahoo has different brand and different styles for different people and diffrent countries. name it except for nigeria and we ll have ours soon. www.yahoo.co.ng  Watch out!
Re: Why Yahoo? by my2cents(m): 5:22pm On Jun 01, 2006
Yep Ashiwaju,

I guess that is kind of my point. Yahoo!, it can be argued is synonymous with Coke in Naija. In other words, when I am there and think of getting my favorite "mineral", Coke is what is on my mind. I remember when I told my cousins there that I couldn't get on YIM cos of company restrictions and that they should get AOL accounts. They were all like shocked What do we do?

If the portal wars were being fought out in Nigeria, even with google's dominance worldwide, yahoo would definitely, in my opinion, win in Nigeria and I dare say Africa as a whole.

I bet a lot of pplez anal hairs are rising in discomfort at that statement grin
Re: Why Yahoo? by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2006
Been wondering why yahoo has been the most successful Website today
Google is more profitable than Yahoo. How can you say that yahoo is the most successful website? What's success by your definition?
Re: Why Yahoo? by Ashiwaju(m): 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2006
When i say success, i wasnt talking about profitabilty and wealth is not a way of measuring achivements in most cases. Its quite sure that google is the biggest search engine as at today and Yahoo is the most successful website and they hold the largest mail accounts in the world.
Re: Why Yahoo? by kazey(m): 7:43pm On Jun 02, 2006
Ashiwaju:

When i say success, i wasnt talking about profitabilty and wealth is not a way of measuring achivements in most cases. Its quite sure that google is the biggest search engine as at today and Yahoo is the most successful website and they hold the largest mail accounts in the world.

Are you sure?

From what I know MSN Hotmail is the world's largest free webmail e-mail service. smiley Yahoo is not no 1 at anything, please note that.

According to Forbes Magazine, Hotmail is the biggest webmail provider with 33 percent of the market, Yahoo's share is 30 percent, and Gmail is 3rd with 4 percent of the market.
Re: Why Yahoo? by Ashiwaju(m): 7:47am On Jun 03, 2006
kazey:

Are you sure?

From what I know MSN Hotmail is the world's largest free webmail e-mail service. smiley Yahoo is not no 1 at anything, please note that.

According to Forbes Magazine, Hotmail is the biggest webmail provider with 33 percent of the market, Yahoo's share is 30 percent, and Gmail is 3rd with 4 percent of the market.

That statistic/report was for 09.28.04, 4:07 PM ET and this is 03.06.06, 7:45am Ngn time

please come up with the latest report and we would go from there
Re: Why Yahoo? by Seun(m): 8:11am On Jun 06, 2006
Yahoo is the most successful website
I'll ask again:
How do you know that Yahoo is the most successful website? How do you measure website success?
Re: Why Yahoo? by IAH(f): 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2006
kazey:

Yahoo is not no 1 at anything, please note that.

At least, it's No 1 in traffic - Alexa ranking. tongue

Seun:

I'll ask again:
How do you know that Yahoo is the most successful website? How do you measure website success?

Probably due to the fact I stated above?
Re: Why Yahoo? by kazey(m): 7:06pm On Jun 06, 2006
Alexa ranking is the most unreliable statistical system on the net. I think google has more traffic than yahoo.
Re: Why Yahoo? by IAH(f): 7:18pm On Jun 06, 2006
kazey:

I think google has more traffic than yahoo.
Hun, you know that's not true. Check everywhere possible. Metricsmarket. NetCraft. Wikipedia. Google itself. Yahoo has more traffic. cool

(1) (Reply)

Beware Flu Burung Virus On Air / Hp Compaq Presario Cq61 For Sale / Alcon 2.4ghz wireless Outdoor Radio Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.