Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly (1029 Views)

FG Takes Over Yola Disco From Private Investors / Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / Picture Of PHCN Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly by Yeahmee: 2:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
IT IS POPULARLY ARGUED THAT THE SALE OF PHCN COMPANIES AND INSTALLATIONS WILL BRING ABOUT THE NEEDED LONG OVERDUE TRANSFORMATION IN THE POWER SECTOR. THE TELECOM SECTOR IS USUALLY THE BASIS OF ARGUMENT, BUT, IT IS NOT PUT INTO CONSIDERATION THE PECULIARITIES OF THE TWO.
FIRSTLY, DID THE SALE OF NITEL CHANGE HER MISFORTUNES? THE WHISPER OF 'NO' ECHOES FROM ABA TO ZARIA.
SECONDLY, THE DISTRIBUTION COMPANIES ARE SOLD TO ONLY ONE[size=14pt][/size] COMPANY AND FROM ELEMENTARY ECONOMICS, I GUESS THAT'S MONOPOLY, SO IF I DECIDE THAT EKO DISTRIBUTION IS TOO EXPENSIVE AND THE SERVICE IS TERRIBLE, WHO DO I SWITCH TO? I GUESS, THAT WILL BE MY GENERATOR.
BECAUSE, WE ARE SO MUCH IN A HURRY TO GET THE SECTOR WORKING, THE GOVERNMENT HAS INTENTIONALLY OR IGNORANTLY DECIDED TO PLAY A FAST ONE ON US BY JUST CHANGING HANDS.
A CASE STUDY OF A WELL REGULATED POWER SECTOR IS THE U.K. WHERE MAJORITY OF THE POLICY MAKERS HAVE HOUSES; THE GOVERNMENT REGULATE THE AFFAIRS OF THE OVER SIX (6) DISTRIBUTION COMPANIES THAT OPERATE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AT THE SAME TIME, AND NOT A REGION TO EACH COMPANY BUT ALL THE REGIONS AT THE SAME TIME. I CAN DECIDE TO USE BRITISH GAS OR EON OR EDF OR N-POWER AND SWITCH ANYTIME THE CONTRACT IS OVER.
NOW, WE COMPLAIN OF GOVERNMENT MONOPOLY, THE STORY WILL SOON CHANGE IN A FEW MONTHS TIME TO PRIVATE inFESTor MONOPOLY.
Re: Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
op is this not appealing to your eyes...

It is popularly argued that the sale of phcn companies and installations will bring about the needed long overdue transformation in the power sector. The telecom sector is usually the basis of argument, but, it is not put into consideration the peculiarities of the two.

Firstly, did the sale of nitel change her misfortunes? The whisper of 'no' echoes from aba to zaria.
Secondly, the distribution companies are sold to only one[size=14pt][/size] company and from elementary economics, i guess that's monopoly, so if i decide that eko distribution is too expensive and the service is terrible, who do i switch to? I guess, that will be my generator.

Because, we are so much in a hurry to get the sector working, the government has intentionally or ignorantly decided to play a fast one on us by just changing hands.

A case study of a well regulated power sector is the u.k. where majority of the policy makers have houses; the government regulate the affairs of the over six (6) distribution companies that operate all over the country at the same time, and not a region to each company but all the regions at the same time. I can decide to use british gas or eon or edf or n-power and switch anytime the contract is over.

Now, we complain of government monopoly, the story will soon change in a few months time to private infestor monopoly.

@bolded, exactly how can i change from one company to another if am not satisfied with their services?
Let say, we have 3 live [red, blue and yellow face] and one neutral wires, will a distribution company be giving a live wire, say company A is given Red face, company B is given Blue face while company c will be given Yellow face to transmit electricity and if i am not satisfied, in say company A, i can simply call company B to change me to their service. Is that what privatization of PHCN will work? Those in other countries that have their electricity company privatized, how is it been done?
Re: Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly by Yeahmee: 3:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
@hisblud, Yes, you can switch service providers because there are called distribution companies. They buy electricity bundles from the generating firms and they use adminstrative skills to reduce their operating cost, so they can sell cheaper power to their customers. So,they just install their meters and you sign the contract and that way, you switch seamlessly. SO, DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.
Re: Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
Yeahmee: @hisblud, Yes, you can switch service providers because there are called distribution companies. They buy electricity bundles from the generating firms and they use adminstrative skills to reduce their operating cost, so they can sell cheaper power to their customers. So,they just install their meters and you sign the contract and that way, you switch seamlessly. SO, DOES THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

partially tho, my question again is who handles the wiring, the polling, the transformers in the locality... will it be handled by the generating coys? since its only meter and billing the service providers will be handling? ...and furthermore, how can i change to another servicing provider if am not satisfied with thier services and costs just like changing from MTN to Glo for instance?

thanks for your time
Re: Sale Of Phcn Disco: From Government Monopoly To Private Monopoly by DisGuy: 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2013
hisblud:

partially tho, my question again is who handles the wiring, the polling, the transformers in the locality... will it be handled by the generating coys? since its only meter and billing the service providers will be handling? ...and furthermore, how can i change to another servicing provider if am not satisfied with thier services and costs just like changing from MTN to Glo for instance?

thanks for your time

all houses are wired and metered already, you just move in

then call up any company you want to supply your electricity- or change from the provider that was installed by the developers. you can 'port' as you want

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Enugu State Government And Its Red Eye On Small Businesses / SHINA RAMBO: Former Bandit Who Terrorised South-west Nigeria In The 1990s / Tukur Expresses Shock Over Faction's Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.