Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,815 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Thread For Accounting Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thread For Accounting Students (3812 Views)

What Do Accounting Students Wear To School? / Yes I CAN-A Thread For Accounting Student / OAU Accounting Students Exchange Blows Over Financial Report [Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 6:31pm On Aug 27, 2013
To my fellow accounting students out there, hope you guys are loving accounting as a course, and hope you are not encountering so much difficulties in accounting, well if you are, this will perhaps be the best thread to be on nairaland.

So, i opened this thread with the aim of we(accounting students/prospective accounting students) helping ourselves in difficulties we may be having in accounting or issues we may find challenging in accounting, perhaps on accounting principles, adoptions(e.g IFRS), accounting standards, or even computations in accounting, whatsoever!!!

So let's have an interaction and ask ourselves questions on whatever we find difficult or we need clearifications on in accounting(whether financial accounting, cost accounting, management accounting, auditing, taxation, public sector accouting...) and am believing we will get answers by fellow accounting students in the house.

Thanks!!!.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by emekakelvin(m): 7:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
good one.......though am nt yet a student but i applied at OAU dis session to study accountancy

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by switdil(f): 7:33pm On Aug 27, 2013
Finally this is here
M just starting accounting n I need somebody to teach me more of it

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
emekakelvin: good one.......though am nt yet a student but i applied at OAU dis session to study accountancy

You are a potential/prospective accounting student, this thread is for you too, questions are welcomed, it shouldn't be until you get admitted first, have a strong foundation now.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by nsidible(f): 8:32pm On Aug 27, 2013
plz already accounting student.plz pray 4 me to get admission in Aau to study accounting.thank u.nice thread i nid to b part of it

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by emekakelvin(m): 8:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
haibe:

You are a potential/prospective accounting student, this thread is for you too, questions are welcomed, it shouldn't be until you get admitted first, have a strong foundation now.
by GODs grace am in for oau
thanks for creating dis forum

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
nsidible: plz already accounting student.plz pray 4 me to get admission in Aau to study accounting.thank u.nice thread i nid to b part of it

I pray you will get admitted but make sure you work hard too, have a good foundation in accounting, it will make things easy for you when you start school, its better to spend time having a good foundation and eventually having a good c.g.p.a than rushing into the university without a good foundation and then having a poor c.g.p.a, in the educational system the end justifies the means, it doesn't matter if you spent 5 years at home looking for admission, as long as you come out with a very good c.g.p.a, you will be respected and you will 'most likely' get a good job.

What am i saying?? Don't rush into the university without having a good foundation of your course, one may get admitted so easily but as long as he/she doesn't finish well, then there is a problem, no one would even remember he/she got admitted easily, every one would be concerned about whether he finished with 1st class, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd class or pass, that is what will matter most at the end of school, not how easy you got your admission.

My bro, i wish you good luck in getting your admission and i believe God will surprise you but once again do your best.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by nsidible(f): 9:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
haibe:

I pray you will get admitted but make sure you work hard too, have a good foundation in accounting, it will make things easy for you when you start school, its better to spend time having a good foundation and eventually having a good c.g.p.a that rushing into the university without a good foundation and then having a poor c.g.p.a, in the educational system the end justifies the means, it doesn't matter if you spent 5 years at home looking for admission, as long as you come out with a very good c.g.p.a, you will be respected and you will 'most likely' get a good job.

What am i saying?? Don't rush into the university without having a good foundation of your course, one may get admitted so easily but as long as he/she doesn't finish well, there is a problem no one would even remember he/she got admitted easily, every one would be concerned about whether he finished with 1st class, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd class or pass, that is what will matter most at the end of school, not how easy you got your admission.

My bro, i wish you good luck in getting your admission and i believe God will surprise you but once again do your best.
thank u very much.Amen
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 9:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
nsidible: thank u very much.Amen

You r welcome, just take note, that piece of advise is worth millions.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by nsidible(f): 9:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
haibe:

You r welcome, just take note, that piece of advise is worth millions.
i will..can u list text books 4 accounting 100level
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 9:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
nsidible: i will..can u list text books 4 accounting 100level

Which field of accounting??
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 9:52pm On Aug 27, 2013
nsidible: i will..can u list text books 4 accounting 100level

I will assume you are talking of financial accounting.

You can get Business accounting 1 and 2 by Frank woods and Alan sangster, Business accounting 1 covers financial accounting and business accounting 2 covers other parts of financial accounting and some parts in cost accounting.

You can get "Financial accounting made simple"(FAMS) by Robert Igben, O. Its a very good book.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by nsidible(f): 10:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
haibe:

I will assume you are talking of financial accounting.

You can get Business accounting 1 and 2 by Frank woods, it covers financial accounting and some parts in cost accounting.

You can get "Financial accounting made simple"(FAMS) by Robert Igben, O. Its a very good book.
tanx
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by timwezzb(m): 10:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
If U are given salaries & wages on the credit side of the Trial Balance...How will U treat that On ur trading,profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet??
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 10:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
timwezzb: If U are given salaries & wages on the credit side of the Trial Balance...How will U treat that On ur trading,profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet??

Wages and salaries is an expenses and is debited to the profit and loss account, however if you mean wages and salaries separately, then wages is debited to trading accounts while salaries are debited to p and l a/c.

Wages and salaries are treated as expenses, not liabilities and so won't be in the balance sheet except if it is supposed to be due that accounting year end and you are yet to pay as at the end of the year, then it becomes accrued(owing) which will then be shown as a current liability in the balance sheet, if this is the case, there will be an information about it in the "additional information".(This case is rare though)
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 10:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
timwezzb: If U are given salaries & wages on the credit side of the Trial Balance.

Do you really mean this?? Expenses usually have a natural/nominal debit balance not credit, there is an error or perhaps its salaries and wages payable which is a liability and thus having a nominal credit balance.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by Elthugnificent(m): 11:11pm On Aug 27, 2013
timwezzb: If U are given salaries & wages on the credit side of the Trial Balance...How will U treat that On ur trading,profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet??
very interesting question. It is a very rare and unusual question to be seen in exams though. It is subject up for debate.
Debit side of a trial balance is made up of Asset and expenses while the credit is income and liabilities. It is reasonable to take the wages and salaries as an income but the business entity concept wont idea with it. Wheather you take it as an income or liability the balance sheet would sure balance. I came across a question like that last year in my examination. I treat it as income in profit and loss, and as current asset in my balance sheet. Please we need more comment on this issue. Where are the ACA?
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by Elthugnificent(m): 11:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
haibe:

Do you really mean this?? Expenses usually have a natural/natural debit balance not credit, there is an error or perhaps its salaries and wages payable which is a liability and thus having a nominal credit balance.
Not always. Rent is an expenses, no? But sometimes it is seen at the credit side. Here it is assume that the owner rent out part of the space the company is been built. Thus the owner expect income from such rent, that the reason why its in the credit side because its an income and not an expenses.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 11:34pm On Aug 27, 2013
El thugnificent: Not always. Rent is an expenses, no? But sometimes it is seen at the credit side. Here it is assume that the owner rent out part of the space the company is been built. Thus the owner expect income from such rent, that the reason why its in the credit side because its an income and not an expenses.

Thanks for the reply, i have seen situations of rent having a credit balance(this is very possible) since the company can rent out a building, of course in the name of the company, not owner. But how is this possible with wages and salaries, does that mean 'the company' becomes an employee in another organization?? Looks like that's the only way it can work out if the 'entity' concept is to survive or how else can a company receive salaries if she doesn't become an employee in another company?
So I don't seem to understand, please shed more light, thanks.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 12:18am On Aug 28, 2013
El thugnificent:
I came across a question like that last year in my examination. I treat it as income in profit and loss, and as current asset in my balance sheet. Please we need more comment on this issue. Where are the ACA?

That's what i would have done too if i find wages and salaries with a credit balance because the only thing it would mean is the company receiving wages and salaries...
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 12:36am On Aug 28, 2013
El thugnificent: very interesting question. It is a very rare and unusual question to be seen in exams though. It is subject up for debate.
Debit side of a trial balance is made up of Asset and expenses while the credit is income and liabilities. It is reasonable to take the wages and salaries as an income but the business entity concept wont idea with it. Wheather you take it as an income or liability the balance sheet would sure balance. I came across a question like that last year in my examination. I treat it as income in profit and loss, and as current asset in my balance sheet. Please we need more comment on this issue. Where are the ACA?

Let's look at it this way: A construction company which employs people to construct car canopies for their customers(individuals, organizations) monthly and then are paid for their services in form of wages and salaries by their customers(individuals,organizations), since those employees work in the name of the company, it would imply that the wages and salaries received from the customers(individuals, organizations) would be going into the company's account as income with a credit balance and not to the pocket of the employees, of course the employee would be paid their own wages and salaries too by the company which will now be an expenses to the company with a debit balance.

So we have 2 wages and salaries here, the former is an income(credit balance) while the latter is an expenses(debit balance).

Perhaps that's the situation @timwezzb's question is on(the former wages and salaries), so i think the wages and salaries in his case should be treated as an income in the P and L a/c.

Still waiting for other contributors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by Elthugnificent(m): 7:33am On Aug 28, 2013
haibe:

Let's look at it this way: A construction company which employs people to construct car canopies for their customers(individuals, organizations) monthly and then are paid for their services in form of wages and salaries by their customers(individuals,organizations), since those employees work in the name of the company, it would imply that the wages and salaries received from the customers(individuals, organizations) would be going into the company's account as income with a credit balance and not to the pocket of the employees, of course the employee would be paid their own wages and salaries too by the company which will now be an expenses to the company with a debit balance.

So we have 2 wages and salaries here, the former is an income(credit balance) while the latter is an expenses(debit balance).

Perhaps that's the situation @timwezzb's question is on(the former wages and salaries), so i think the wages and salaries in his case should be treated as an income in the P and L a/c.

Still waiting for other contributors.
My thought exactly. This is something we have debated endlessly in school. Just like you said about the owner going out to work for another, the earned wages should be his not the company 'business entity', a coursemate use that as his arguement line that the earned wages should be treated as additional capital(what yous say on this?).
Well for we that doesnt make sense, it's plausible for it to be treated as income or liability but additional capital, i dont think so.
Have your say.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by Xplicit1(f): 8:03am On Aug 28, 2013
9ce thread.

Subscribing.....................
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 8:14am On Aug 28, 2013
El thugnificent: My thought exactly. This is something we have debated endlessly in school. Just like you said about the owner going out to work for another, the earned wages should be his not the company 'business entity', a coursemate use that as his arguement line that the earned wages should be treated as additional capital(what yous say on this?).
Well for we that doesnt make sense, it's plausible for it to be treated as income or liability but additional capital, i dont think so.
Have your say.

Just like i said in a previous post, the owner can only bring the money into the company in form of capital not income, that is, after he works in another organization, he receives the wages and salaries as his income personally and then introduces this income as capital to the company(your friend may be right afterall), but this becomes a total different situation of capital to the company, not income in form of wages and salaries(credit) which we are to consider.

The issue now is wages and salaries with a credit balance which would imply an income, its in this case i gave that example of a construction company above, when the employee works for the customers(on behalf of the company), they receive wages and salaries for their services in the name of the company(since they are working on behalf of the company), in this case its possible for us to have wages and salaries with a credit balance(an income) in the company's account.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 8:21am On Aug 28, 2013
haibe:

the only way out is if the owner puts the money he derives(rent) as capital to the organization(which won't have anything to do with wages and salaries anymore), we know a company should be treated as a separate legal person from its owners. So I don't seem to understand, please shed more light, thanks.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 8:47am On Aug 28, 2013
Xplicit.:
9ce thread.

Subscribing.....................

You r welcomed
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by hyzich(m): 9:59am On Aug 28, 2013
This is a nice thread,
In regards to question asked, its very rare to find salaries&wages in credit side of trial balance 'cos salaries&wages ɪ̣̝̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇ an expenses and all expenses are debited in trial balance buh d examiner might put it in a question in order to test yur ability to tink nd make judgement as someone said dat it should b treated as additional capital N.B. no treatment 'll b made in profit nd loss acct iv its bn treated as additional capital buh we nid to b careful 'cos its "salaries&wages" whc 'll b earned mnthly or weekly i.e recurrent so I THINK it should b treated in d profit nd loss acct.. My opinion though, pls we nid ACA to shed more light on dis so dat we can learn. Thanks
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2013
hyzich: This is a nice thread,
In regards to question asked, its very rare to find salaries&wages in credit side of trial balance 'cos salaries&wages ɪ̣̝̇ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇ an expenses and all expenses are debited in trial balance buh d examiner might put it in a question in order to test yur ability to tink nd make judgement as someone said dat it should b treated as additional capital N.B. no treatment 'll b made in profit nd loss acct iv its bn treated as additional capital buh we nid to b careful 'cos its "salaries&wages" whc 'll b earned mnthly or weekly i.e recurrent so I THINK it should b treated in d profit nd loss acct.. My opinion though, pls we nid ACA to shed more light on dis so dat we can learn. Thanks

Thanks for your contribution, like i said in an earlier post, i would have treated it as an income to the company if i found it in an exam but i only tried to explain how the company could earn wages and salaries being an inanimate person through its employees and that's why i gave the idea of the owner earning the wages and salaries personally and then introducing the cash as capital to the business(this is the 1st possible way wages and salaries can be earned by a company), although its not realistic and its not received as wages and salaries but capital, so i then later gave the explanation of the company hiring employees to carry out services daily/monthly(on behalf of the coy) to customers and then the company gets paid wages and salaries for this service by their customers whom they have rendered the service to, this will be treated as an income to the company.

So i guess the best way to treat the wages and salaries(CR) will be as an income in the p and l.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by hyzich(m): 10:49am On Aug 28, 2013
haibe:

Thanks for your contribution, like i said in an earlier post, i would have treated it as an income to the company if i found it in an exam but i only tried to explain how the company could earn wages and salaries being an inanimate person and that's why i gave the idea of the owner earning the wages and salaries personally and then introducing the cash as capital to the business(this is the 1st possible way wages and salaries can be earned by a company), although its not realistic, so i then later gave the explanation of the company hiring employees to carry out services monthly(on behalf of the coy) to customers and then they get paid wages and salaries for this service which will be treated as an income to the organization.

So i guess the best way to treat the wages and salaries(CR) will be as an income in the p and l.

I never said yu were wrong, i only chip in my opinion.. Am sowie if I̶̲̥̅̊ 've offended yu oo
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by haibe(m): 10:56am On Aug 28, 2013
hyzich:

I never said yu were wrong, i only chip in my opinion.. Am sowie if I̶̲̥̅̊ 've offended yu oo

Lol, i understand, you never said i was wrong, i was only trying to explainthings again, by the way if i am wrong, i will be glad if you correct me, that's why this thread is opened, for us to enlighten ourselves more.

You did not offend me bro, lol am surprised you took it that way.
Re: Thread For Accounting Students by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2013
d bst thread so far....ONCE AN ACCOUNTANT,ALWAYS AN ACCOUNTANT..

1 Like

Re: Thread For Accounting Students by hyzich(m): 11:25am On Aug 28, 2013
nabsprada: d bst thread so far....ONCE AN ACCOUNTANT,ALWAYS AN ACCOUNTANT..

You are welcome sir,
Your contributions are greatly welcomed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Best State Universities In Nigeria 2017 / Analysis Of The Major Characters In Let Me Die Alone By John Kolosa Kargbo / BUK Email Address

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.