Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,575 members, 7,958,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:00 AM

If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later (822 Views)

Small Generator Ban: Does Buhari Hate Small Businesses? / Towns Where Banks Don’t Open Except Customers See Armoured Tanks / 10 Things You’ll Find In The Handbag Of A Female Bank Marketer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by Suhaibu(m): 1:57pm On Aug 31, 2013
What’s the engine that drives the Internet?

AOL Inc., the American multinational mass media company, in collaboration with Jakob Neilsen, the web usability consultant, say it’s the content. In their recent study, they revealed that content is the backbone of all the online activities.

“Internet users shared twenty-seven million pieces of content everyday…,” the AOL report says. “More than 53% of time spent on the Internet is directly attributed to content consumption… and nearly, more than one-quarter of all social media messages contain links to content.”

Is it possible to read your favorite blog post, update your Facebook page, and post that tweet without using some form of content?

… NO!

The Internet without content is like your body without water: it dies.

Unlike the traditional brick and mortar business, where you can’t set-up without injecting huge amount of cash, or soliciting for an angel investor to back you; home-based Internet businesses allow you to start with little or no capital.

Think of Linda Ikeji – the celebrity blogger – who started small with a free blogger platform and build a million naira online company out of it. She didn’t have professional certificates under her belt before launching her blog. She didn’t wait for rich investors to partner with her. She just identified her talent, used it, and, lo and behold, a million naira business was born.

If you want to become your own boss (and who doesn’t at this point); then online business would be a perfect match for you. If Linda Ikeji can make it, you can make it, too, right?

There are many Internet home-based businesses. One of the marketable ones is freelance writing.

The Writing Business is Lucrative

If you have writing talent, or are willing to invest some time and efforts to learn the craft, you can start a freelance writing business… in no time. The business is not just simple and salesy; it’s profitable and lucrative.

Here are three big reasons why:

1. Content feeds the Internet technology. Web pages are full of valuable content that attracts attention and promote businesses. Censoring online content = Internet blackout.

2. Content is what makes the Internet work. From the need to rank on the search engine to product promotion to social media sharing – content is what works.

3. Google makes content more effective today. The recent Google Panda and Penguin update necessitate the need of quality content. In order words, Google penalize low-quality, keyword-stuff content that lacks relevance. It only allows for high quality content to rank well on the Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs. That means a webmaster or a small business owner must pay good money if they want to rank well on Google.
Think about that.

Start Freelance Writing Business Today!

Let me tell you my story…

After graduating from university three years ago, I started the hard task searching for job… from paying N20 naira to read job openings on The Guardian newspaper to paying N150 (when I have them) to buy 1 hour air time to apply for jobs online – I did all what I could to secure a job… but to no avail.

Maybe because I didn’t have N500k to buy an offer. Or maybe because my legs weren't long enough to tap one from Abuja. So, I began to think… And one day I said to myself:

“Hey, I love the Internet. And I love writing. Isn’t there something for me online?”

That little chat I had with myself was the kindle that ignited the light of my career today. So, I went on to discover that “something” for me. Every night I would load N200 naira Etisalat voucher, get 15 MB and hob onto my sofa to Google for that “something.” I really had no clue what it was; but was just optimistic that it was there, and it was going to be remarkable.
Think of faith… hope…

And one night, I discovered that “something.” It was the freelance writing business. And, without any hesitation, I went for it. I had no writing experience beyond the assignments I used to write back during my university days. But I love the craft. And with some practice over time, I horn my writing skills.

Later on that same year, I registered with elance.com – one of the most reputable freelance marketplaces on the Internet – and got my first writing job there. Then I joined scriptlance (now freelancer.com). And things continued to get better. On elance, I keep getting writing projects to this day…

One of the most amazing things about freelance writing is that you can start with your Blackberry. The phone has a DocumentToGo app, a mini MS Office, which you can use to do all your writing assignments.

Today, I’m proud to say that I’m earning a decent income, and don’t give a damn to hunt for any job in Nigeria. I’m never been happier…

My advice to you, my fellow Nairalanders, is this: don’t stay idle, waiting for miracles to happen. Don’t buy into popular get rich quick scams, letting someone deceive you to believe that you can make $1,000 every day without doing anything.

Shine your eyes… In fact, shine your brains.

If you’re one of the 170 million jobless Nigerians, don’t wait till you get old to achieve your dreams. Wake up and help yourself… Instead of chatting non-stop with random boys and girls, turn your Blackberry into a moneymaking machine!

If you have any question on freelance writing business, drop it below, and I’ll answer. If you have other online business ideas, please, share.

……
Suhaib Mohammed is a professional freelance writer. He’s the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Haibtext. He offers A-Z learning resource on freelance writing. Subscribe to his blog here: http://haibtext.com and receive free, fresh update directly to your inbox.

1 Like

Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by iamskiigii(m): 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2013
cool. but errm, who pays 4d write up?
Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by pabon(m): 3:11pm On Aug 31, 2013
Nice write-up OP.I like writing too and I'm addicted to the internet.Maybe I'd start writing more.I own a wapsite buh all I really do is copy and paste.I think from now,I'l start writing my own piece.
THANKS
Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by Suhaibu(m): 3:39pm On Aug 31, 2013
iamskiigii: cool. but errm, who pays 4d write up?

Hi,

The clients. Companies, webmasters, or people who owns blog pay for write-ups.

For example, a small business owner selling tourist cars can seek the service of a freelance writer to write a 500-words article for him about their business.

Hope you get the drift?
Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by Suhaibu(m): 3:45pm On Aug 31, 2013
pabon: Nice write-up OP.I like writing too and I'm addicted to the internet.Maybe I'd start writing more.I own a wapsite buh all I really do is copy and paste.I think from now,I'l start writing my own piece.
THANKS

Hi,

Warning: Stop copy paste! Google will catch you and penalize you for that.

You should start writing seriously... Don't even give it a second thought.

If you have any question getting started, including how to set-up your bank account so you withdraw you money from the marketplace, you can ask here, or visit my site. I have written an article extensively about that.

Thank you for the compliment.
Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by Consent(m): 4:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
Im quite interested in this,but your link is not opening.pls send me details here :akpabaunyime@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by Suhaibu(m): 4:53pm On Aug 31, 2013
Consent: Im quite interested in this,but your link is not opening.pls send me details here :akpabaunyime@gmail.com. Thanks

I have e-mailed you, Consent.
Re: If You Don’t Tap Into This Online Business Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later by Opiosko: 6:25am On Sep 01, 2013
Op, pls i need a guild, pls mail me at emmaofiliemma@gmail.com. Tnks boss.

(1) (Reply)

,,.. / Fully Developed & Automated Money Making Website For Sale / Chase/boa Alc Need Urgently Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.