Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,628 members, 7,955,304 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:57 PM

Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? (4434 Views)

Is It Okay For A Lady To Wear This To Church? (photos) / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Be Using Chains And Earrings? / Why Can't Men Wear Earrings In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Zatwo: 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
Hi everyone, i was in church today and I saw some dancers(guys) putting on earrings,im a dancer also and i do put on earrings b4 until i became born again recently... I just wanto know if putting on earrings as a guy is not a sin.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Oyinprince(m): 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2013
Hmmm, its not neccesarily wrong. But make sure u dress and act in a way that will encourage others to come to Christ...You are a young christian, so focus on God and his word

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by davonny: 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
Let me ask u, zatwo, is it a sin for a lady to wear earrings to church? If YES, convince me with scriptures. If NO, convince me with scriptures. Pls answer and from there we can start.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Oyinprince(m): 4:39pm On Sep 01, 2013
@davonny no confuse d guy wit questions na,to my knowledge hes a young christian
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Zatwo: 6:43am On Sep 02, 2013
davonny: Let me ask u, zatwo, is it a sin for a lady to wear earrings to church? If YES, convince me with scriptures. If NO, convince me with scriptures. Pls answer and from there we can start.
lol, i don't know, help me
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by davonny: 9:19pm On Sep 02, 2013
Oyinprince. I understand but just wait and see.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by davonny: 6:08am On Sep 03, 2013
Oyinprince. I understand but just wait and see
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by davonny: 6:17am On Sep 03, 2013
@zatwo, from what u wrote up there, I perceive uv stoped wearing earrings to church since u hav become born again. Can u tell me ur convinctions. I mean why did u stop wearing earrings to church
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 03, 2013
Oyinprince, because you are a young christain this people have been tryin not to hurt ur feelings and make u not thnk God is too bad but you shud know that if people are still fightin over the fact that ladies are puttin on Earrin,will they niw agree for man...
I will advice you just let the tot go...you are a guy...you look corporate without earrin and that is the differenc btw u and a church-goin christain
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by davonny: 9:59am On Sep 03, 2013
Thank u divepen, I was not trying to say wearing of earrings by guys is a sin or not. Zatwo is not very sure of what he is doing yet and that's is what am helping him to develop: personnal conviction inline with d words of God.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 10:36pm On Sep 03, 2013
Wearin earing by guys is a sin, hw cn u ask dat question when earing is condem 4 women and u are nw askin if it's a sin 4 guys. My dear bible condem jeweries in jeremaih 4v30.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Syncan(m): 6:59am On Sep 04, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
Wearin earing by guys is a sin, hw cn u ask dat question when earing is condem 4 women and u are nw askin if it's a sin 4 guys. My dear bible condem jeweries in jeremaih 4v30.

I'm still looking for the condemnation in that your quote o!

Though the verse is part of a passage and not to be understood as stand alone,that verse says "And when thou art spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; thy lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life."

What about this?

"And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold; (Gen 24:22)

"I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck. And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head. (Ezekiel 16:11-12)
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 04, 2013
Syncan
i need scriptures from the new testament
and those Ezekiel verses were talkin about ladies

as for the genesis part the bible did not say the man was putting it on
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Syncan(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2013
Divepen: Syncan
i need scriptures from the new testament
and those Ezekiel verses were talkin about ladies

as for the genesis part the bible did not say the man was putting it on

For the benefit of doubt, my post does not in any way support earring on men. It was in response to the post from amara, that said the bible condemned earring for women. My posts are quite explicit, and the source, you know. Did not add mine.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Zatwo: 9:43am On Sep 04, 2013
davonny: I perceive uv stoped wearing earrings to church since u av become born again.Can u tell me ur convinctions.I mean why did u stop wearing earrings to church
I av heard some pple say its a sin
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Zatwo: 9:50am On Sep 04, 2013
Now, are u people saying its a sin or not?
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 04, 2013
Itz a sin
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Zatwo: 9:59am On Sep 04, 2013
Divepen: Itz a sin
show me in d bible
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2013
My dear am nt here 2 drag wit u. D bible said wen d are spoiled. So if ur spoiled u cn keep on putin it on.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Zatwo: 10:13am On Sep 04, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
My dear am nt here 2 drag wit u. D bible said wen d are spoiled. So if ur spoiled u cn keep on putin it on.
Im not dragging anything lol... just explain to me,what do u mean by "spoiled" ?
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by soapdish(f): 1:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
@Amara,obviously you don't really care about what the bible said concerning outward adornment, you are only interested in what you are told.

Have you on your own taken time to read the bible from Genesis to Revelation asking the Holy Spirit to help you in understanding the WORD. It might seem difficult because most people don't like studying rather they rely on others to read and interprete to them without even cross-checking whether the interpretation given is correct or not.

Anyone who really wants to partake in the eternal life MUST study the WHOLE bible and with the help of the Holy Spirit.

1st Peter 3 v 3 - 4 NASB says :
Your adornment must not be merely external-braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

1 Timothy 2 v 9- 10 says:
 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with poper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, 10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.

Now, if you look at the two scriptures above, you will understand that the Apostles ie Peter and Paul did not CONDEMN outward adornment rather they said that you should not adorn your flesh or your body to the detriment of your spirit.

A christian woman should spend more time building her innerman by study ing the word and applying it to her everyday life which will eventually show in her modest and sensible dressing.

It is therefore WRONG for you @amara to say that something is a SIN when the bible didnot say so.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 1:50pm On Sep 04, 2013
Zatwo: Im not dragging anything lol... just explain to me,what do u mean by "spoiled" ?
go and marry ur dictionary.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2013
My pple perish 4 lack of knwledge if apostle paul did nt CONDEM it, den y didn't he ask us 2 put on outward adornment in 1peter 3v3
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Syncan(m): 2:57pm On Sep 04, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
My pple perish 4 lack of knwledge if apostle paul did nt CONDEM it, den y didn't he ask us 2 put on outward adornment in 1peter 3v3

Amara,my view on two of your questions.

1. That passage you quoted in Jer4:30 was talking about defeating Israel at war. In that passage it is a personification of Jerusalem. However, Spoils of a war are those "nouns", owned by and including, the defeated but which becomes the properties of the victors if they wish. Thus I may say that one who is spoiled in that regard is one who has been captured by the victor, such a one has lost all privileges, despite how beautiful or ornamented such a one is, he /she will be mostly used as a servant, slave, eunuch or sold.

2. Paul did not write 1peter 3vs3. However that passage is re echoing Col 3:2 "let your mind be set on things above...and not on things below"
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by Kay17: 2:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
Christianity, the religion of lambs. Humans have converted their minds which held great potentials to lamb dolls.

Of what value is there, whether a man wears ear rings or not?! What is the real value behind the action?
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by soapdish(f): 3:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
@amara,that sacripture says ...Your adornment must not be merely external-braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses;

Assuming your interpretation is correct then WE SHOULD NOT PUT ON DRESSES because you cannot condemn braiding the hair and wearing gold jewelry while approving of putting on dresses.

I am not trying to convince you to start wearing jewelry or for you to start making your hair rather I'm saying that you should study the bible more on your own, so that you will stop swallowing hook, line and sinker every half truth you are told.

It is ok if you feel not wearing them helps you spiritually but it is definitely wrong for you to condenm those that wear them.

My last word to you on this is that you should always remember that our self righteousness is like a filty rag before God and we should rely solely on His grace
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by davonny: 5:18pm On Sep 04, 2013
This is simple matter. Can somebody read ezekiel 16:1-14. However, let us not LIVE TO EAT but EAT TO LIVE.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 6:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
@soapdish, 1tim2v9-10 said, Inlike manner also,that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, wit shamefacednes n sobriety;
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 6:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
4rm this chpter d bible tld women to dres in modest apparel ie we shld nt wear expensive or clothes dat we show our bdy or attract attention,in a sexual way rather we shld dres in modest apparel ie very simple.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by amaralizzy40y: 6:33pm On Sep 04, 2013
wit shamefacednes and sobriety ie we shld serve God witout being ashame and wit al seriousnes.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by soapdish(f): 6:51pm On Sep 04, 2013
@amara, if you check my previous post, you will see that I quoted and reproduced 1 timothy 2 v 9 - 10. If you read v 10. It says but rather by means of good works...

Both scriptures are saying the same thing ie, they are laying emphasis on doing good works.

Inotherwords, a christian woman should not idolise these things. Idolising them to the extent that you cannot do without them. Both scriptures are saying that we should be modest in our appearance.
They did not PROHIBIT the usage of jewelry.

It is worthwhile for one to check other versions when studying the bible for better understanding.
Re: Is It Ok For Guys To Wear Earrings To Church? by LordReed(m): 8:15pm On Sep 04, 2013
Something that seems to confuse us is the difference between cultural acceptability and sin. If you read your bible well you will know that at a time in history men wearing earrings was not a strange sight. It was so common place that nobody even gave it a second thought. God certainly didn't even consider it worth mentioning in the laws he gave to Moses. What has changed between then and now? Our perception of how a man should dress and appear is very different such that should anyone dress like in the old days you will be considered crazy or at best eccentric. Does dressing as they dressed in the old days make you a sinner? Of course not! But why make yourself an object of ridicule to the gospel? That is the difference. Wearing earring is not a sin but will give the gospel a bad image. Think of not wearing it as a sacrifice for the gospel.

(1) (2) (Reply)

(Photo)gospel Singer Sinach With Pastor Chris's Cute Daughters Pictured Together / Waking At 12am At Night Every Time. / Why Majority Of Christians And Their Leaders Will Miss Heaven.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.