Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,439 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters (988 Views)

Car Scanning And Diagnostics. Fix that fault. / 10 Most Expensive Cars In The World! / Use Of Speed Limiters; The Way Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Ikenna351(m): 10:39pm On Sep 01, 2013
If EU eventually succeeds, then Euro cars will suck. The German auto makers will lose, since those their supercars production will stop. 90% of Benz, BMW and Audi owners drive them because of performance they offer. Why buy a performance car when it can't speed beyond 110 kph then?

Do they consider what will it be like to drive a car you can't save yourself in when find yourself in a situation where you need to push the throttle harder to avoid a head on collision while overtaken a car and suddenly another car comes out from nowhere heading towards you?

I wonder what it would be like when 80% of vehicles on highways are doing 110 kph? The terrible road traffic situation will become the order of the day on our highways then.

Some still fail to understand that speed is not always the cause of accidents on highways. A lot have sent themselves to their early graves by swerving to avoid hitting a Cat while on high-speed. Some don't realise that highway is not for the faint-hearted.

What this means is that Nigerians will stop patronising used Euro speccs cars, the EU succeeds.

Source: http://news.sky.com/story/1135815/eu-may-order-speed-limiters-fitted-to-uk-cars

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by JUO(m): 7:36pm On Sep 02, 2013
I think it has to be optional

1 Like

Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Gee2728(m): 9:38am On Sep 03, 2013
Like JUO said it maybe optional. Like its been done on japan nissan GTR models, were the GPRS monitors were the car is and regulates its speed limits.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Ikenna351(m): 11:00am On Sep 03, 2013
Gee2728: Like JUO said it maybe optional. Like its been done on japan nissan GTR models, were the GPRS monitors were the car is and regulates its speed limits.

Check the link and read it well. It's not optional. All new cars, henceforth, if implemented, will come with it as default. Then all other cars will have to take their vehicles for the device to be installed. It's going to be compulsory and will be part of the MOT .

Ikenna.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by lonelydora: 11:48am On Sep 03, 2013
I don't think I can ever buy thAt kind of snAil-speed car. So going to Abuja from Ph will tAke me all day.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2013
Wow! i hope this bill doesnt get approved!! Apart from ending the horsepower warfare in performance circles, tuners like hamann, carlsson, brabus, lorinser and others will likely start closing shop because they make most of their profit from speed crazy clients.
Imagine driving a Veyron at 70mph! suicides rates will be on the increase in the EU!!!
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Ikenna351(m): 7:13pm On Sep 03, 2013
platinumricky: Wow! i hope this bill doesnt get approved!! Apart from ending the horsepower warfare in performance circles, tuners like hamann, carlsson, brabus, lorinser and others will likely start closing shop because they make most of their profit from speed crazy clients.
Imagine driving a Veyron at 70mph! suicides rates will be on the increase in the EU!!!

Lol!

Ikenna.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Ikenna351(m): 7:25pm On Sep 03, 2013
lonelydora: I don't think I can ever buy thAt kind of snAil-speed car. So going to Abuja from Ph will tAke me all day.

It should take you longer than that sef to get to PH from Abuja in this situation.

Imagine all cars on the highway doing only 100 km/h. Meaning, all vehicles will line up and overtaken is out of the question, since nearly all cars are doing the same speed. How do you think you can successfully overtake a queue of 20 cars close to each doing 100 km/h, with just 110 km/h which is the maximum speed? Before you slowly get to the 5th car, an on coming vehicle will surely meet and send you to mortuary straight.

With a busy road like Abuja-Lokoja highway, it may take one, during December Holidays trip, 8 or 9 hours from Abuja to Lokoja. Then from Lokoja to Enugu, that one na 2 or 3 days journey be dat, considering the 9th Mile nightmares during those Xmas period.

Ikenna.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by 677ano(m): 7:26pm On Sep 03, 2013
most cars currently have electronic speed limiters and they can be removed by the owners via the car menu
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Ikenna351(m): 7:37pm On Sep 03, 2013
I wonder if Germany will support this. If they do, what about Autobahn?

Ikenna.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Ikenna351(m): 7:39pm On Sep 03, 2013
677ano: most cars currently have electronic speed limiters and they can be removed by the owners via the car menu

Because it's not yet to a Law. When it becomes a Law, you won't have that option.

Ikenna.
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2013
Ikenna351: I wonder if Germany will support this. If they do, what about Autobahn?

Ikenna.
the germans will kick against this, the autobahn is where most car makers /tuners do their high speed runs, i seriously doubt if this limit will work out...
Re: EU Plans To Fit All Cars In EU Countries With 70 Mph Speed Limiters by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:43pm On Sep 26, 2013
Sensational reportage

" The Commission has not tabled – and does not have in the pipeline – even a non-binding Recommendation, let alone anything more. The Commission has supported past research into ISA. There is a current stakeholder consultation and study focusing on speed limiting technology already fitted to HGVs and buses. One aspect of that is whether ISA could in the long-term be an alternative. And a second consultation on in-vehicle safety systems in general. Taking account of the consultation results, the Commission will publish in the autumn a document by its technical experts which will no doubt refer to ISA among many other things. That is all."

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/reports-of-brussels-big-brother-bid-to-impose-speed-controls-are-inaccurate-beyond-the-limit-2/

You can follow the debate on the same here:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/09/01/1624235/eu-proposes-to-fit-cars-with-speed-limiters

(1) (Reply)

Where To Buy Run Flat Tyres / How To Repair An Engine Vacuum Leak / HELP!!! Transmission Issues Matrix 03

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.