Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,561 members, 7,837,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC (1355 Views)

PDP Sweeps Akwa Ibom Re-run Election / Party Agent Attacked At Benue-South Re-Run Election - PICS / Imo Governorship Re-run Election: Okorocha In Early Lead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 11:06am On Sep 02, 2013
Suffice it to say that a reasonable number of Nigerians with considerable political awareness have over the years had to deal with several dissappointments with the PDP government style both at different local levels and at the national.

This disappointment informed the "sympathy" solidarity which most non-career politicians had for the APC during and upon its official registration by INEC. However, the so much media gyrations and noisemaking which the APC has encumbered itself with seem to turn citizens who're expecting an articulate and calculative opposition off.

The just concluded LG re-run election in Offa, Kwara state has dropped a heavy and undismissable lesson for the APC. Before the election, the APC had gone into its media gyrations again threatening to floor the state ruling PDP. Unofficial results posted in the e-media by the APC during the election had read, 'APC cruises with landslide victory...', etc. While politicians and their media bricklayers may use propaganda to sway public opinion, it is important to let the APC know that elections are hardly won by propaganda and noisemaking. A lot of citizens have long yearned for a credible option over the ruling PDP and the APC must make pragmatic efforts to reposition itself for more elections ahead: Anambra 2013, Ekiti 2014, and general elections 2015. Otherwise we might be in for the surprise of our lives.

3 Likes

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 02, 2013
Op I agree with you 100 %

1 Like

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by emiye(m): 11:33am On Sep 02, 2013
The returning officer absconded for reasons best known to him, and a very FAKE result was announced by the KWSIEC chairman and all you could do was to write meaningless long epistle

1 Like

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by theoctopus: 12:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
emiye:
The returning officer absconded for reasons best known to him, and a very FAKE result was announced by the KWSIEC chairman and all you could do was to write meaningless long epistle

Keep spewing more propaganda. It wont get you any where. Al these fake e-campaign you people are doing is meaningless. I have told many of you folks. Elections are not won on NL. Nobody knows and care about APC in at least 16 states of Nigeria. You can get all the NL MODs to keep putting APC and co on the NL frontpage everyday, it wont make a difference. The percentage of Nigerians on NL is insignificant. Half of that number or more are probably people in diaspora. Get real my friend

11 Likes

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by emiye(m): 12:21pm On Sep 02, 2013
theoctopus:

Keep spewing more propaganda. It wont get you any where. Al these fake e-campaign you people are doing is meaningless. I have told many of you folks. Elections are not won on NL. Nobody knows and care about APC in at least 16 states of Nigeria. You can get all the NL MODs to keep putting APC and co on the NL frontpage everyday, it wont make a difference. The percentage of Nigerians on NL is insignificant. Half of that number or more are probably people in diaspora. Get real my friend

My problem with people like you is that what you accuse others of is what is actually wrong with you.

Any sane and brilliant observer will realise that the election was rigged. i will like to see how the LG chairman will govern that council. Expect violent protest soon.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by rolchi(m): 1:03pm On Sep 02, 2013
emiye:

My problem with people like you is that what you accuse others of is what is actually wrong with you.

Any sane and brilliant observer will realise that the election was rigged. i will like to see how the LG chairman will govern that council. Expect v[b]iolent protest soon[/b].

Nigerians....na wa oh!

So after elections, the next thing is "violent protest"?

1 Like

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by theoctopus: 1:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
rolchi:

Nigerians....na wa oh!

So after elections, the next thing is "violent protest"?

You can see how foolish their propaganda is. That is how they went on rampage after loosing 2011 elections. They are making a nuisance of themselves and Nigerians are seeing them for who they are. Touts. APC will do more damage to themselves than PDP. Will ever do to them.

2 Likes

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 02, 2013
emiye:

Any sane and brilliant observer will realise that the election was rigged. i will like to see how the LG chairman will govern that council. Expect violent protest soon.

So if APC was returned, the election must have been free and fair, and as such credible?

Dude!!! For real?

2 Likes

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by oldenglish: 1:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
emiye:

which election is free and fair since you start being a Nigerian?

It's always fair when my party is victorious and rigged when my party fails.

2 Likes

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Confusionist(m): 1:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
theoctopus:

You can see how foolish their propaganda is. That is how they went on rampage after loosing 2011 elections. They are making a nuisance of themselves and Nigerians are seeing them for who they are. Touts. APC will do more damage to themselves than PDP. Will ever do to them.
mr man, sharap there!

Pls, while making ur sensless posts, make distinction, no matter how old the parties who merged to make APC, that APC is just a party that is few months old!

What is her deal with events of 2011?
Morons!! undecided
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 2:01pm On Sep 02, 2013
If only my friends and brothers from the opposition here on NL can see the truth in the observation I've just made and congregate a brainstorming session with their comrades to re-evaluate the party's modus operandi so as to come out stronger they've chosen to foam from their mouth and to throw muds. Nigerians want APC to be that credible alternative not by loudmouth or noisemaking.

Emiye has assured of violent protests. well, it's important to know that you don't need to wait until your back is smacked down in the wrestling first and you begin to throw muds. Wake up, APC, Nigerians are waiting for you. They need results and not excuses. I am waiting for reasonable alternative and not excuses.

1 Like

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 2:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
Confusionist: mr man, sharap there!

Pls, while making ur sensless posts, make distinction, no matter how old the parties who merged to make APC, that APC is just a party that is few months old!

What is her deal with events of 2011?
Morons!! undecided

I agree, fellow compatriot, that the APC as a merger party is pretty young. I also agree that Kwara is a PDP state and therefore would do everything within its powers not to grovel in its on ground, but what he might be saying is that the merger party needs to do a lot of work, learning from this 'mock exam' in Kwara, otherwise we'll wake up in 2015 to hear excuses from APC and a lot of 'we no go gree' when the real 'exam' results are called.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by duality(m): 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2013
I don't support rigging. But forcing me to believe that APC do not rig elections is absolute rubbish. I know people in various political parties and I can tell you that they both engage in electoral malpractices.

It is absolute foolishness for anyone to think that a politician cannot win an election, simply because he is in PDP. If my brother was to run for an elective position through the PDP will I not naturally support him; if he has good ideas? should I not vote for him and seek for others to support him? will I say " go to hell" because he is in PDP? or because some folks on Nairaland hate PDP?

People should understand that every body must not support a particular party. I have evidence of electoral malpractices;from a friend in Edo state during the last LGA election. But people had to let it go maybe because it's not the PDP. To me that is wrong. My point is,why the notion that, If PDP wins, then election was rigged; If another party wins, then it was free and fair. Are we saying that the PDP are in isolation and don't have supporters?

Now the politicians are taken advantage of this by running on other platforms yet no change. Its just like saying " There are not examination malpractices in private universities. or you can't find a cultist in a private university. reason? Because it is not a public university. Isn't that a fallacy?. People should stop electoral malpractices be you PDP, APC or whatever..

I have friends who went into politics through PDP and are clean. and I also know one in ACN who is dangerous man.

6 Likes

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Wily1Wily: 2:23pm On Sep 02, 2013
PDP wins Offa LG rerun •APC demands authentic result

CANDIDATE of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the rerun local government election held on Saturday, in Offa, Kwara State, Mr AbdulWaheed Olanipekun, has been declared winner of the election.

Announcing the result on Sunday, the chairman of the Kwara State Independent Electoral Commission (KWSIEC), Dr Uthman Ajidagba, said the PDP councillorship candidates also won all the 12 wards in the local government area.

The KWSIEC chairman said Mr Olanipekun polled 35,937 votes against 20,161 votes scored by the All Progressives Congress Candidate (APC) in the Election, Mr Saheed Popoola.

He said Olanipekun had satisfied the requirements of the law for having the majority of lawful votes and, therefore, elected and returned as chairman of Offa Local Government Area.

Kwara State Publicity Secretary of PDP, Alhaji Masud Adebimpe, thanked the people of Offa for the maturity exhibited during the election.

However, the protem chairman of APC in Kwara, Mr Shola Iji, said the party would not accept the result declared by the state independent electoral commission.

This was as the party called on the KWSIEC to immediately announce the authentic result of Saturday’s rerun in Offa.

In a statement issued in London, on Sunday, by the party’s interim national publicity secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said the results announced by the Kwara PDP on Sunday were totally unacceptable and would not stand.

Last modified on Monday, 02 September 2013 05:27
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
oldenglish: which election is free and fair since you start being a Nigerian?

It's always fair when my party is victorious and rigged when my party fails.

Your observation is exactly my greatest difficulty in our Nigerian politics. Granted that our elections have not been without what we call here [i]mago mago[/I, I think we never accept election results and keep quiet. but now there seem to be better elections in Nigeria since the GEJ period, though. (am talking about real elections conducted by FG like the imo re-run, Edo election, etc. and not your NGF and RSHA votes). I have failed in an election before during my university days. I had to double my efforts. The pains are enormous, though.

But then both the ruling and the opposition are all two sides of the same coin in this election incredibility. How can you explain the local council elections conducted by Amaechi of Rivers, Ohakim of Imo, Imoke of Cross river, Adams of Edo and Fashola of Lagos, in which only the ruling party in the state won all seats?
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by jagabanare(m): 2:48pm On Sep 02, 2013
If Ofa local goverment election is conducted 20times APC will always win the election. Ofa can never be under ilorin dynasty. From the history Ofa local goverment has always been in opposition party. So it is so clear and open that the election was upturned to favour the PDP.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 3:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
jagabanare: If Ofa local goverment election is conducted 20times APC will always win the election. Ofa can never be under ilorin dynasty. From the history Ofa local goverment has always been in opposition party. So it is so clear and open that the election was upturned to favour the PDP.

My friend, you say if it's done 20times APC would win. It's been done onces and they lost. The APC doesnt need a score other defeat before considering very critical election mathematics.

Do you mean that as history has it that Offa isnt under Ilorin dynasty, so APC owns election by patrimony? Pls, I dont understand it. Could you kindly explain?

1 Like

Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 3:15pm On Sep 02, 2013
jagabanare: If Ofa local goverment election is conducted 20times APC will always win the election. Ofa can never be under ilorin dynasty. From the history Ofa local goverment has always been in opposition party. So it is so clear and open that the election was upturned to favour the PDP.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by emiye(m): 3:22pm On Sep 02, 2013
1MCN:

My friend, you say if it's done 20times APC would win. It's been done onces and they lost. The APC doesnt need a score other defeat before considering very critical election mathematics.

Do you mean that as history has it that Offa isnt under Ilorin dynasty, so APC owns election by patrimony? Pls, I dont understand it. Could you kindly explain?

Mr man, you lack insight and your judgement skill is weak. The returning officer rather than announce the true result ran away, the Ekiti 2009 rerun election comes to mind. There is a history to Offa and the ruling party in Kwara state. Any one who is conversant with the political dynamics of kwara state will tell you more. Very recently Before the birth of APC, Offa was controlled by ACN . Any one who currently stay or school in offa knows what happened, this is no propaganda.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 3:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
duality: I don't support rigging. But forcing me to believe that APC do not rig elections is absolute rubbish. I know people in various political parties and I can tell you that they both engage in electoral malpractices.

It is absolute foolishness for anyone to think that a politician cannot win an election, simply because he is in PDP. If my brother was to run for an elective position through the PDP will I not naturally support him; if he has good ideas? should I not vote for him and seek for others to support him? will I say " go to hell" because he is in PDP? or because some folks on Nairaland hate PDP?

People should understand that every body must not support a particular party. I have evidence of electoral malpractices;from a friend in Edo state during the last LGA election. But people had to let it go maybe because it's not the PDP. To me that is wrong. My point is,why the notion that, If PDP wins, then election was rigged; If another party wins, then it was free and fair. Are we saying that the PDP are in isolation and don't have supporters?

Now the politicians are taken advantage of this by running on other platforms yet no change. Its just like saying " There are not examination malpractices in private universities. or you can't find a cultist in a private university. reason? Because it is not a public university. Isn't that a fallacy?. People should stop electoral malpractices be you PDP, APC or whatever..

I have friends who went into politics through PDP and are clean. and I also know one in ACN who is dangerous man.

I think I share most part of what you've just shared.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
duality: If my brother was to run for an elective position through the PDP will I not naturally support him; if he has good ideas? should I not vote for him and seek for others to support him? will I say " go to hell" because he is in PDP? or because some folks on Nairaland hate PDP?
hmmmm ....!!!

Word .....!!!
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 02, 2013
1MCN:

I think I share most part of what you've just shared.
Trust the dude U quoted above , He is real !!!

Only one town in Kwara-state Challenged Ilorin Emirate ..... And That is ''OFFA'' !!!

If APC should Dominate Ilorin tomorrow and Ilorin should Lord over APC as she is doing with PDP ...... Trust me, Offa will start voting for PDP !!!

Offa people do not hate PDP, again Offa People do not hate PDP ...... But Offa people do not like being Lord over as second class in Kwara or their own town !!!

Offa people wants to always control their affairs as they deemfit under the constitution of Nigeria without external unnecessary influence !!!

''Balancing Equation'' is always Part of Offa Heritage !!!
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
@ least election was conducted and manipulated. In Edo state where APC is in control, electoral materials were not distributed in majority of the LGA but winners were declared the next day by imposition by the APC. So you people didn't here that. Becos PDP won u wanna pull the ceiling. Anoda case is PDP Obanikoro election in Lagos controlled by APC that was won by Obanikoro but declared 2 ACN. APC are Hypocrites!!!!!!
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by delpee(f): 11:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
The truth is that Offa has always been in opposition since they hate being oppressed. Even in the days of Sardauna, they chose AG instead of NPC. They don't see themselves as second class citizens and will never be subservient to Ilorin. They have endured oppression and thrived nonetheless through FG intervention and communal self help projects. They are hardworking and successful people which makes some of their neighbors think they are arrogant and so they want to bring them down. It won't work cos they are diehards. PDP should think of a better strategy to win them over.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by Lusola15: 12:57am On Sep 03, 2013
Ok. If offa LG was in lagos which party do u think will win regardless of d numbers. ACN won all d sit in d last LG elections in lagos and losser were told to go to d court.

Dog eat Dog
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 12:24pm On Sep 03, 2013
Skillbobralph: @ least election was conducted and manipulated. In Edo state where APC is in control, electoral materials were not distributed in majority of the LGA but winners were declared the next day by imposition by the APC. So you people didn't here that. Becos PDP won u wanna pull the ceiling. Anoda case is PDP Obanikoro election in Lagos controlled by APC that was won by Obanikoro but declared 2 ACN. APC are Hypocrites!!!!!!

What baffles me is not even the hypocrisy of the career politicians, because that seems to be part of the skills of their trade in Nigeria, but the hypocrisy of the non-career politician on NL and on the streets. How can we not see anything of malpractise in Lagos and Edo and many others where only the ruling party swept all council positions?! Not that I support malpractise by any party. But if we condemn it for PDP we should also condemn it in "our" APC.
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by 1MCN: 12:34pm On Sep 03, 2013
Skillbobralph: @ least election was conducted and manipulated. In Edo state where APC is in control, electoral materials were not distributed in majority of the LGA but winners were declared the next day by imposition by the APC. So you people didn't here that. Becos PDP won u wanna pull the ceiling. Anoda case is PDP Obanikoro election in Lagos controlled by APC that was won by Obanikoro but declared 2 ACN. APC are Hypocrites!!!!!!

If I get what you mean, sister, you think it is the default nature of the Offa people. Well, I'll admit that I dont know these people very well and their political history and temparements. It it seems to defy rational thinking that the entire Offa people would choose to vote in any politician only on the condition that s/he belongs to opposition-- even when they have a clearly more credible candidate contesting on the plattform of the ruling party, just to remain in opposition. My opinion is that the choice of the Offa people in that last Saturday LG re-run should suffice no matter what plattform it was s/he stands--ruling or opposition!
Re: Offa Re-run Election; Lessons For APC by emiye(m): 7:21pm On Sep 04, 2013
1MCN:

If I get what you mean, sister, you think it is the default nature of the Offa people. Well, I'll admit that I dont know these people very well and their political history and temparements. It it seems to defy rational thinking that the entire Offa people would choose to vote in any politician only on the condition that s/he belongs to opposition-- even when they have a clearly more credible candidate contesting on the plattform of the ruling party, just to remain in opposition. My opinion is that the choice of the Offa people in that last Saturday LG re-run should suffice no matter what plattform it was s/he stands--ruling or opposition!

I have told you your judgement skill is weak, or you are actually insincere, that election was rigged

It was so badly rigged that one of the PDP candidate as councillor has rejected his victory just 3 days after the result was announced. https://www.nairaland.com/1425252/pdp-candidate-rejects-offa-rerun

(1) (Reply)

2015 Presidential Election: Opinion Poll / Surprise: Boko Haram On Salah Day / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.