Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,910 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him (765 Views)

British Man Creates His Facebook Profile Pic With Nigerian Flag: What He Wrote / Samsung Made A Case That Turns The Note 5 Into A Blackberry / Apple Admits A British Man Invented Ipod (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by onegig(m): 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2013
Maybe i should try this with glo and thier useless 0700, 4800 number series...

Just read below.

These days, Lee Beaumont is perfectly happy to get a call from a telemarketer. In fact, he’s the one making a profit from the unsolicited sales calls.

The BBC reports that Beaumont became so sick of getting calls from marketing companies that he changed his phone number settings so that incoming callers have to pay him a small fee to connect.

Since changing his number in November 2011, Beaumont says he’s made about 300 pounds ($464) from the calls. Using a service called PhonepayPlus, Beaumont charges incoming callers 10 pence to connect and additional charges for the longer he stays on the line.

"Because I'm getting annoyed with PPI phone calls when I'm trying to watch Coronation Street so I'd rather make 10p a minute," he told the BBC. “I want cold calls.”

Beaumont receives 70 percent of the take from such calls, adding that he now goes out of his way to keep telemarketers on the line for longer periods of time.

Beaumont says he fully discloses the charges when companies ask for his number. The “0871” line does raise some eyebrows with company representatives, but many still elect to pay for the chance to make a sale.

PhonepayPlus, the company Beaumont enlisted for his pay-to-call numbers, said it discourages individuals from setting up similar lines. "Premium rate numbers are not designed to be used in this way and we would strongly discourage any listeners from adopting this idea, as they will be liable under our code for any breaches and subsequent fines that result," the company told the BBC.

For his part, Beaumont said he keeps a separate, private number for personal calls.

"I don't use my normal Leeds number for anyone but my friends and family,” he told the BBC.

There are various options for setting up similar pay lines in the U.S., although most are targeted to individuals setting up a small business for ventures such as psychic lines or adult chats. Skype used to offer a service called Skype Prime, which allowed it to charge for incoming calls but that service has since been discontinued.

Read more here

1 Like

Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by dragnet: 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2013
wish I could do same to airtel & MTN
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by Dabss(m): 6:17pm On Sep 02, 2013
Yeah me too, Glo especially. They can call u up to four times in a day. undecided
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
dragnet: wish I could do same to airtel & MTN

if they discover they'll never call u again. mtn will rather go bankrupt than pay any subscriber
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by shortgun(m): 6:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
Yungwizzzy:

if they discover they'll never call u again. mtn will rather go bankrupt than pay any subscriber
grin grin grin
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by dragnet: 6:53pm On Sep 02, 2013
Yungwizzzy:

lol
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by onegig(m): 7:38pm On Sep 02, 2013
Yungwizzzy:

grin grin

Na wetin i want be that now...Make them no call me again.
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by Impulse80(m): 12:56am On Sep 03, 2013
we must make front page!!!!!!!!!
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by physise(m): 12:58am On Sep 03, 2013
Yungwizzzy:

lol
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by Osyxcel(m): 2:42am On Sep 03, 2013
It would be nice if I could make some money off Glo and Airtel. Especially that Airtel that calls with real numbers.
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by Emmy3(m): 3:12am On Sep 03, 2013
Making money is not by working hard but by working smart with God's guidance.....
Smart man....
Re: British Man Turns The Tables On Telemarketers By Charging Them To Call Him by saintkola(m): 6:55am On Sep 03, 2013
Oh nice idea.. Wonder if this can be implemented here in naija *research mode activated*

(1) (Reply)

How Can i Root Htc One V One / Is There Any Tecno Jeally Bean Andriod Smartphone With 5inch Wide Screen? / Anybody Noticed That The Mtn Night Plan Is Working During Day ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.