Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:36 AM

The Genuin Gift Of Tongue - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Genuin Gift Of Tongue (1915 Views)

Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? / Power Of Tongue(death And Life Are In The Power Of Tongue) / Have You Ever Witnessed The Gift Of Interpretation Of Tongues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 4:29pm On Sep 03, 2013
Kenny4lyfe:

**Imagine me praying**

Dear heavenly father, please forgive me....
Give me....
**breaks-out with a song**
Holy Ghost!
Do it again.... {You know the rest}!
Then... **falls asleep while at it**

Except the JWs they're different...
They simply...
Don't pray... At all!

grin
Funny, aint it?
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Candour(m): 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs:

Na wa o

Didn't you see me write praying in tongues is diff from speaking (preaching) in tongues

Oya quick quiz...did paul pray in tongue? Did he preach in tongues to the congregation?
In churches today, do they pray in tongues or preach in tongues?

I await your answers

My dear bro, Paul expressly said tongues are a sign for unbelivers: he used tongues when preaching to natives of the different places he went for evangelism. A mature believer knows tongues are useless in the congregation of the righteous and Paul was mature. If he prayed in tongues, its strictly between him and God and he would never have brought it to show off in Church.

My bro, u see pastors today spice up their preaching with tongues and some even sing in tongues leaving the congregants confused and bewildered. Am sure u know all these

1 Like

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 4:33pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs:

grin
Funny, aint it?

am not a JW... I believe in the trinity but not this gibs and madness that people do in church
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2013
benalvino:

Sorry man it is not lame excuse...
the fact that you guys took the bible out of context is what baffles me...

I will challenge you to come up with all the verses that supports your doctrine one by one and we will discuss and analyze it... I dont want to reply long post or treat more than one verse and question at a time.. we can quote a passage and quote parallel to that passage but they must be on one issue at a time...

If you are ready we can start with your post of first verse which support your stands...

more like starting by defining tongues, like i did in the OP... and try to link it to gibs like people speak in churches... my definition links in to know languages already.
I am really sorry bro,i don't want to sound rude but let me say that when it comes to this subject matter you re so ignorant. And i don't want you to be ignorant concerning spiritual gifts.

As a matter of fact i will be going right now for a ministration,i believe God has given Gombs my brother the grace to handle all your queries.

I will chip in one or two things tomorrow.Stay blessed.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 4:47pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: I am really sorry bro,i don't want to sound rude but let me say that when it comes to this subject matter you re so ignorant. And i don't want you to be ignorant concerning spiritual gifts.

As a matter of fact i will be going right now for a ministration,i believe God has given Gombs my brother the grace to handle all your queries.

^^^ I laugh... Well am ignorant as long as i dont believe in Gibs... you are the one who believe in Gibs and go against pauls command... So lets say you are Ignorant for
1: going against pauls command
2: believing in Gibs 3 years old kid can speak any day any time..

I called you lets analyze verse by verse... but you ran away saying its because am ignorant... how interesting.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 4:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
Candour:

My dear bro, Paul expressly said tongues are a sign for unbelivers:

Mark 16v15 Jesus said

17 And these signs will accompany those
who believe:
In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

grin don't you think you are confused and confusing Paul's writings?

he used tongues when preaching to natives of the different places he went for evangelism.

grin you mean now if God sends me to brazil or saudi arabia to preach, he'd install portuguese or arabic instantly? See mega confusion abeg. Reinhard Boonke has being preaching all over the world, why did he have interpreters in most cases? Is it that God is delaying installing the languages or is it that he's not believed enough?
grin

If he prayed in tongues, its strictly between him and God [s] and he would never have brought it to show off in Church. [/s]

Show off?? Lol
So if I wanna pray in tongues I shd whisper it because I don't want you to think I'm showing off? When paul was saying I speak in tongues more than you all, it wasn't showing off shey? grin

My bro, u see pastors today spice up their preaching with tongues and some even sing in tongues leaving the congregants confused and bewildered. Am sure u know all these

1 corinth 14v15 NIV
15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

grin grin must you argue?

2 Likes

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 4:54pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: I am really sorry bro,i don't want to sound rude but let me say that when it comes to this subject matter you re so ignorant. And i don't want you to be ignorant concerning spiritual gifts.

Aii sir, I'd leave them sef...they ask redundant questions and misquote Paul and Jesus.

grin
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 03, 2013
benalvino:

^^^ I laugh... Well am ignorant as long as i dont believe in Gibs... you are the one who believe in Gibs and go against pauls command... So lets say you are Ignorant for
1: going against pauls command
2: believing in Gibs 3 years old kid can speak any day any time..

I called you lets analyze verse by verse... but you ran away saying its because am ignorant... how interesting.
grin You dey delay me jare. Why not follow the train of arguments between candour and Gombs.Unlike you candour believes tongues should be a private devotional thing which i very much agree with.I have never said it should be spoken publicly in the church if you had carefully followed my thread.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 5:06pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^ I much agree too but praying in tongues out loud in church or public aint wrong either. Except you were being a nuisance in the given area, eg praying out loud in lecture rooms, etc ie use wisdom to pray depending on the environment you are.

When Paul and Silas were praying in Act 16v25, Luke recorded this

New Living Translation
25 Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and
singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were
listening.

It wasn't a private/quiet/whispering prayer. Luke was outside the prison, how then did he hear the prayer sounds if it wasn't very loud enough?

grin
When Jesu was prayin sef in John 17, how did John record every detail of it if it weren't loud enough.

1 Like

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 5:10pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: grin You dey delay me jare. Why not follow the train of arguments between candour and Gombs.Unlike you candour believes tongues should be a private devotional thing which i very much agree with.I have never said it should be spoken publicly in the church if you had carefully followed my thread.

that is even the main problem... Tongue is not a prayer... because the bible will be stating in corinthians that one should interpret your prayers...

am no where near delaying you... no matter how long it takes... verse by verse we analyze it.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs: ^^ I much agree too but praying in tongues out loud in church or public aint wrong either

When Paul and Silas were praying in Act 16v25, Luke recorded this

New Living Translation
25 Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and
singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were
listening.

It wasn't a private/quiet/whispering prayer. Luke was outside the prison, how then did he hear the prayer sounds if it wasn't very loud enough?

grin
When Jesu was prayin sef in John 17, how did John record every detail of it if it weren't loud enough. Remember, he was simply criticizing the hypocicy of the Jews when they pray making loud noise for folks to think they are really praying/really holy
I also agree sometimes it can't be helped.That's the Holy Spirit bro..Just like the Corinthian folks they couldn't help it but flow in it. Paul was actually addressing them concerning the public use of the gift. so that everything should be done decently and in order and not the carnal nature of the church as some teachers erroneously presume.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 5:17pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^ oga benalvino, tongues aint prayer, but WE PRAY IN TONGUES

What did Jude mean by "praying in the Holyghost"

Or what paul meant by "Praying in the spirit"

1corithn 14v14-15 AMP

14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays, but my mind is unproductive [it bears no fruit and helps nobody].
15 Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding; I will sing with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will sing [intelligently] with my mind and understanding also.

Stop shooting urself in the foot

1 Like

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 03, 2013
benalvino:

that is even the main problem... Tongue is not a prayer... because the bible will be stating in corinthians that one should interpret your prayers...

am no where near delaying you... no matter how long it takes... verse by verse we analyze it.
Ok,have you heard angels speak in tongues?

Why should Paul say i thank my God i speak in tongues more than you all? Are you telling me he was referring to different languages?There are gentiles who could speak more languages than Paul my friend don't get it twisted.The greeks are more learned in this areas and Paul knew it.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs: ^^ oga benalvino, tongues aint prayer, but WE PRAY IN TONGUES

1corithn 14v14-15 AMP

14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays, but my mind is unproductive [it bears no fruit and helps nobody].
15 Then what am I to do? I will pray with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will also pray [intelligently] with my mind and understanding; I will sing with my spirit [by the Holy Spirit that is within me], but I will sing [intelligently] with my mind and understanding also.

I think you got my post wrong. I am in agreement.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 5:27pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: I think you got my post wrong. I am in agreement.

Twas directed to Benalvino sir

grin I know you are in sync with the scriptures
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 5:34pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: Ok,have you heard angels speak in tongues?

Why should Paul say i thank my God i speak in tongues more than you all? Are you telling me he was referring to different languages?There are gentiles who could speak more languages than Paul my friend don't get it twisted.The greeks are more learned in this areas and Paul knew it.

Me and you dont know what language angels speak... But all the time they spoke to mary daniel etc... they were not speaking shakanakanaka... they were speaking hebrew and greek respectively.

Paul speak in tongues more than them because he has the gift of speaking any language... remember there are foreigners in the congregation. If he says he speaks in tongue more than them... it is not shakanakanaka competition... but it is about languages of the whole earth.

no one could speak more languages than paul... he has the gift... he can speak any language that is why he says he can speak tongues more than them... or he can speak in languages more than them simple as that...

1 Corinthians 14:6-10
New International Version (NIV)
6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.

you see the verse above is showing he is not encourage speaking in tongues aka other languages except someone will interpret... see the highlighted fonts... they are the key points...
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 5:37pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: I think you got my post wrong. I am in agreement.
did you forget that they sang in the spirit also? does that mean they are singing in tongues?
How does praying in the holyghost or spirit means praying in tongues? where is your proof?
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Gombs(m): 5:41pm On Sep 03, 2013
^^
Here we go again

*unfollows thread

1 Like

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 5:41pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs: ^^
Here we go again

*unfollows thread

run away... you dont want to get exposed
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
benalvino:

Me and you dont know what language angels speak... But all the time they spoke to mary daniel etc... they were not speaking shakanakanaka... they were speaking hebrew and greek respectively.

Paul speak in tongues more than them because he has the gift of speaking any language... remember there are foreigners in the congregation. If he says he speaks in tongue more than them... it is not shakanakanaka competition... but it is about languages of the whole earth.

no one could speak more languages than paul... he has the gift... he can speak any language that is why he says he can speak tongues more than them... or he can speak in languages more than them simple as that...

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.

you see the verse above is showing he is not encourage speaking in tongues aka other languages except someone will interpret... see the highlighted fonts... they are the key points...
You see why i said you re ignorant? Ok read 1 cor14:39
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 03, 2013
benalvino:
did you forget that they sang in the spirit also? does that mean they are singing in tongues?
How does praying in the holyghost or spirit means praying in tongues? where is your proof?
Ofcos they sang the hymns,John wesley wrote.Can you memorise all of it.Or that of David the psalmist? cheesy
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 5:56pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: You see why i said you re ignorant? Ok read 1 cor14:39
it is not about adding ignorant in your post...

1 cor14:39
But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. 39Therefore, my brethren, [size=18pt]desire earnestly to prophesy[/size], and do not forbid to speak in tongues. 40But all things must be done properly and in an [size=18pt]orderly manner[/size].

Again he encourages prophesying more than tongues here... and he says they should not forbid speaking in tongues because that is the problem he is addressing... then he says they should do it in orderly form... How to do it in orderly form? to have someone who will interpret it... Simple as that.

Now go back to the verse below... you may understand why he said they should not forbid speaking in tongues...

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 6:02pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs: ^^ oga benalvino, tongues aint prayer, but WE PRAY IN TONGUES

1corithn 14v14-15 AMP

It shows you dont understand verse you are quoting from...
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Candour(m): 6:08pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gombs:

Mark 16v15 Jesus said

17 And these signs will accompany those
who believe:
In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

grin don't you think you are confused and confusing Paul's writings?

1Cor 14:22
'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe'

Is the above in your bible?

grin you mean now if God sends me to brazil or saudi arabia to preach, he'd install portuguese or arabic instantly? See mega confusion abeg. Reinhard Boonke has being preaching all over the world, why did he have interpreters in most cases? Is it that God is delaying installing the languages or is it that he's not believed enough?
grin

You are the one screaming gift of tongues. You should tell me why Bonkke has not being given that gift displayed by the apostles on the day of Pentecost.Paul didn't need interpreters, why did God forget to give you or Bonkke that particular gift?

Show off?? Lol
So if I wanna pray in tongues I shd whisper it because I don't want you to think I'm showing off? When paul was saying I speak in tongues more than you all, it wasn't showing off shey? grin

1 corinth 14v15 NIV
15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

Did he tell u he did it in the congregation? He expressly said he'll rather speak 5 words in the church than disturb others with his gift of tongues. From that statement, I can confidently and unequivocally say Paul NEVER spoke tongues that others couldn't understand in church.read 1Cor 14:19 again

grin grin must you argue?

The same question I was going to ask you, must you argue?

When we discuss like this, its evident we might not convince each other but there are others who will read and go check with their bibles. Those are my audience bro
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Kenny4lyfe(m): 7:24pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bidam: Ok,have you heard angels speak in tongues?

He must be referring to chinese or calabar maybe?

2 Likes

Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 7:31pm On Sep 03, 2013
Kenny4lyfe:

He must be referring to chinese or calabar maybe?

Dont be biased open your heart and learn... paul was addressing language issue...

1 Corinthians 14:10
10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, [size=28pt]yet none of them is without meaning.
[/size]
^^ till you stop taking words out of context so you can believe gibs... your eyes will never open.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
[quote author=Candour]

1Cor 14:22
'Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe'
You confuse MARK 16:15-18 with 1 COR14:12. The latter was a prophecy Paul quoted from Isaiah 28:11,12 which was fulfilled in Acts 2:12-13. The Sign here refers to the unbelieving Jewish nation who mocked the Apostles saying they were drunk about 9a.m in the morning.The preaching of peter was the climax that saved 3000 out of the unknown thousands present on the day of Pentecost.

Tongues is the scriptural, initial evidence also of the baptism in the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:4). And that was what Jesus refers to when He says "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils
[ exercise authority over demons and evil spirits in His name];
they shall speak with new tongues."

You are the one screaming gift of tongues. You should tell me why Bonkke has not being given that gift displayed by the apostles on the day of Pentecost.
Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence or sign of the Holy Spirit's infilling Presence (Acts2:4). I believe, of course, that there are other evidences that will follow, but this is the first or initial physical evidence. And that is how every believer receives the Holy Ghost baptism as promised by the Father.The Holy Ghost is very much around.He has never left since the outpouring in Pentecost.

Paul didn't need interpreters, why did God forget to give you or Bonkke that particular gift?
The issue is not about Paul or bonkke.It is about you and others who belittle The work of the Holy Spirit." For THE PROMISE is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:39).

We know that the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues is not for the world — for unbelievers — because of something Jesus said in John 14:16,17.

JOHN 14:16,17
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may
abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth [the Holy Spirit]; WHOM THE WORLD CANNOT RECEIVE,
because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with
you, and shall be IN you.

Jesus said that the world cannot receive this experience of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Now God does have a gift for the world, and that gift is salvation. The Heavenly Father has another gift for His children, and that is the gift of the Holy Ghost.

LUKE 11:13
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much
more shall YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

God isn't the Father of everyone. He is the Father of those who have been born again and recreated in His image and likeness (2 Cor. 5:17).

In John 8:44, Jesus said to the Pharisees, the strictest sect of the Jewish religion, "Ye are of your father the devil. . . ."So you see, God is only the Father of those who have been born again. And to those who have been born again, God the Father gives the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Did he tell u he did it in the congregation? He expressly said he'll rather speak 5 words in the church than disturb others with his gift of tongues. From that statement, I can confidently and unequivocally say Paul NEVER spoke tongues that others couldn't understand in church.read 1Cor 14:19 again
The issue here is not whether Paul did it in the congregation or not.He was teaching the Corinthians on how to use the gift properly for self edification.

In First Corinthians 14:4, Paul makes the statement that "He that speak-eth in an unknown tongue EDIFIETH HIMSELF. . . ."To edify means to build oneself up.

Then in verse 18, Paul said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all." In other words he said, "I thank God I edify myself more than ye all." If Paul needed this edification, we need it too.

Jude also links praying in tongues with spiritual edification.

JUDE 20
20 But ye, beloved, BUILDING UP YOURSELVES on your most holy faith, PRAYING IN
THE HOLY GHOST.

Jude instructs believers to "pray in the Holy Ghost." Paul uses a similar phrase in his letters.Writing to the Church at Ephesus, Paul said, "Praying always with all prayer and supplication IN THE SPIRIT. . ." (Eph.6:18). What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit"?

One meaning of "praying in the Spirit" is found in First Corinthians 14:2, where Paul says, "For he that speaketh in an UNKNOWN TONGUE speaketh not unto men, but unto God . . .howbeit IN THE SPIRIT he speaketh mysteries." Praying in the Spirit also can mean praying in your understanding as the Holy Spirit inspires you.

Paul also encouraged the saints at Ephesus to edify themselves, for in Ephesians 5:18 he says, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT."

Remember that this letter was written to Spirit-filled believers, because we read in Acts chapter19 that Paul came to Ephesus, and there he found these disciples and laid hands on them.The Holy Ghost came on them and they spoke with tongues (Acts 19:1-6).

In Ephesians 5:18,Paul is later writing a letter to that same church, and he said, "And be not drunk with wine,wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit" (Eph. 5:18).

Greek scholars tell us that a more literal translation would be,"Be being filled." In other words,we should maintain a continuous experience of being filled up to overflowing with the Holy Spirit. It is one thing to be filled with the Holy Ghost initially; it is another thing to stay continually filled with the Holy Ghost.

Beginning in verse 19, Paul lists the characteristics of the Spirit-filled life.

EPHESIANS 5:19-21
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, SINGING AND
MAKING MELODY IN YOUR HEART TO THE LORD;
20 GIVING THANKS ALWAYS for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 SUBMITTING YOURSELVES ONE TO ANOTHER in the fear of God.

Those believers who are continually being filled with the Holy Spirit have a song in their heart;they are always giving thanks to God; and they have a submissive attitude. They sing and make melody in their hearts to the Lord continually.

The Lord wants us to maintain a continual experience of being filled with the Holy Spirit. One way the believer does that is by speaking to himself in psalms,hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in his heart to the Lord.

These psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs are given by the inspiration of the Spirit of God.They come through the spirit of prophecy (Rev. 19:10), which may include tongues and interpretation.Allowing Our Spirits Contact With the Father of Spirits.

Another scriptural purpose for speaking with tongues is so that our spirits (as distinct from our minds or our own understanding) might pray. God is a Spirit, and He has provided a supernatural means whereby the human spirit can be in direct contact with the Father of spirits(Heb. 12:9).

Paul said, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYETH, but my understanding is unfruitful"(1 Cor. 14:14).

Paul also made reference to this in Romans 8:26: "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

A more correct translation would be, ". . . with groanings which cannot be uttered in articulate speech."

Therefore, praying in the Spirit provides a way whereby the Holy Spirit enables our spirit, apart from our understanding, to pray to God and commune with Him.

If you don't agree with this simple biblical explanations i did comparing scriptures with scriptures,then am afraid i can't be of help here.Only God can help you.My discussion ends here.
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 1:34pm On Sep 04, 2013
^^^^ he is trying to help you, you are trying to help him... Why cant he disagree?

Bidam: The issue here is not whether Paul did it in the congregation or not.He was teaching the Corinthians on how to use the gift properly for self edification.

In First Corinthians 14:4, Paul makes the statement that "He that speak-eth in an unknown tongue EDIFIETH HIMSELF. . . ."To edify means to build oneself up.

Then in verse 18, Paul said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all." In other words he said, [size=18pt]"I thank God I edify myself more than ye all."[/size] If Paul needed this edification, we need it too.

Jude also links praying in tongues with spiritual edification.

^^^ how can you blatantly teach what the bible did not teach? the entire quote from you is big misinformation... How can you twist things like this?
you see the large font? you are putting words into paul's mouth... i is simple statement that does not need any tempering.

I thank God i thank God i speak in tongue more than you all...
^^ tongues is language... paul is speaking against people who edifies their self and you are here saying he is praising them or he is encouraging it... How can you say such thing? After you will call me ignorant and yet your expect candour to agree with this thing abi?
make we analyze the verse here...

1 Corinthians 14:16-19
16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do [size=18pt]not know what you are saying[/size]? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, [size=18pt]but no one else is edified[/size].

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct [size=18pt]others[/size] than ten thousand words in a tongue.

paul is simply talking about edification of others and he says he rather speak 5 words that edifies others than 10,000 words that doesnt edify people or other in tongues...

paul is not encourage speaking in tongue.... Me and you they church we both understands English... what is the need of speaking in tongues and shutting me out of communication?

the bible command is plain but you guys do the opposite.

JUDE 20
20 But ye, beloved, BUILDING UP YOURSELVES on your most holy faith, PRAYING IN
THE HOLY GHOST.

Jude instructs believers to "pray in the Holy Ghost." Paul uses a similar phrase in his letters.Writing to the Church at Ephesus, Paul said, "Praying always with all prayer and supplication IN THE SPIRIT. . ." (Eph.6:18). What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit"?

One meaning of "praying in the Spirit" is found in First Corinthians 14:2, where Paul says, "For he that speaketh in an UNKNOWN TONGUE speaketh not unto men, but unto God . . .howbeit IN THE SPIRIT he speaketh mysteries." Praying in the Spirit also can mean praying in your understanding as the Holy Spirit inspires you.

Paul also encouraged the saints at Ephesus to edify themselves, for in Ephesians 5:18 he says, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT."
^^^ so when we see the phrase "in the Spirit" we should conclude that it is about tongues?
How does praying in the spirit means speaking in tongues?
paul also says sing in the spirit... does it mean singing in tongues?
where praying in the spirit is define as praying in tongue? Jesus was made alive in the spirit you remember? are you going to say he was made alive in the tongue?

So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding.
paul word^^^
so can you bring a definition where praying in the spirit means speaking in tongues? because jesus says we should worship God in the spirit Does jesus mean we should worship God in tongues?
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by Candour(m): 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
[quote author=Bidam][/quote]

Actually Bidam, I realise you can't help me hence I didn't direct any question to you. What you put up there is pure verbosity. You make the mistake of assuming the more you write, the more correct you become.

My bro, we could have a discussion if you want but I will plead you keep it simple and short. The truth comes out more easily that way. If however, you're doing me a teaching, I'll be glad to just sit and listen.

God bless
Re: The Genuin Gift Of Tongue by benalvino(m): 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2013
Candour:

Actually Bidam, I realise you can't help me hence I didn't direct any question to you. What you put up there is pure verbosity. You make the mistake of assuming the more you write, the more correct you become.

My bro, we could have a discussion if you want but I will plead you keep it simple and short. The truth comes out more easily that way. If however, you're doing me a teaching, I'll be glad to just sit and listen.

God bless

Like i said verse by verse... am not liking the long post or response either...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Catholic Priest Wakes Up From Coma After 17 Months, Converts To Isl / The Way / How The Apostles Of Jesus Christ Were Prosecuted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.