Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,735 members, 7,824,083 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying (22078 Views)

Which Of Nigeria's Major Cultures/languages Will Die Out First? / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ajibel(m): 3:30pm On Dec 29, 2014
GodMode:

Ori e ti fo.

Skente re mun ta re ke!!!

You see why Eng is ferry imporrant

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by musicwriter(m): 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2014
cap28:
OP thanks for bringing up a discussion on this great topic.

This issue along with other issues was discussed by a Nigerian academic here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEs-fEQ_wn4

who concluded that African children are being educated to feel inferior to other races. Refusing to teach Africans in their native language is the major reason why African languages are dying.
According greater status to the language of your slave master than your own native language is a clear cut sign that you feel inferior to other races and majority of Nigerians believe that their native language is inferior to the language of their slave master.
Also African culture is dying courtesy of our media which continues to allow western culture to infiltrate and overtake our own culture. Many Nigerians worship anything that comes from the west and despise their own culture, if we do not reverse this situation our languages and culture will be dead by the next century.

That lecturer is absolutely correct!. But, not only will our languages go into extiction, Africa risks being re-colonized in the next 100 years, if something is not done now to reverse this urgly trend. I told someone here already.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennygee:
9. We don't value our tribal names anymore.

Instead, we settle for Shantel, Andre, Mason, Cameron and Olivia.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have English names, but our native names should be first then English name should be Secondary or even Eliminated sef.
How many can you pronounce forgetting the fact that we are multi lingua. Do you think india's were fools when they choose one language and made it compulsor inspite of their multi languagesy? A country like Nigeria speaking about 350 languages and you expect our local one to stay. Do you think the government was foolish to make English oiur lingua franca.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by heroarams(m): 3:39pm On Dec 29, 2014
We import everytin why won't our language go extinct. Or what do you expect?? Our ladies go about wearing leggings to office and you expect them to speak heavy tongued ijebu yoruba or ibo or hausa.

We should take a cue from the scot, they still wear skirts and play their bag-pipes till date.

Stale news.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by aurenflani: 3:41pm On Dec 29, 2014
GIYAZZ:

2.Some parents ban their children from using their
mother tongue at home even though both parents
speak the same language.

This is the worst, parents should STOP doing this! It's very harmful.

This does not apply to Hausa speaking people.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by musicwriter(m): 3:45pm On Dec 29, 2014
Divepen:

True talk boss..
In fact, when they arrive, they would become useless to the community and would blame the country for their uselessness

Exactly!
This's one of various conclusions I arrived at in my personal research on this topic 2 years ago. See my signature for details.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by cap28: 3:46pm On Dec 29, 2014
musicwriter:

That lecturer is absolutely correct!. But, not only will our languages go into extiction, Africa risks being re-colonized in the next 100 years, if something is not done now to reverse this urgly trend. I told someone here already.

Africa has already been re-colonised - read up about USAFRICOM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by GodMode: 3:55pm On Dec 29, 2014
Ajibel:

Skente re mun ta re ke!!!

You see why Eng is ferry imporrant

Its not... Ethnic and cultural respect is more important.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by GodMode: 4:03pm On Dec 29, 2014
asuustrike2009:

How many can you pronounce forgetting the fact that we are multi lingua. Do you think india's were fools when they choose one language and made it compulsor inspite of their multi languagesy? A country like Nigeria speaking about 350 languages and you expect our local one to stay. Do you think the government was foolish to make English oiur lingua franca.

yes the govt is foolish... Nigeria was never united.. Every one lived peacefully and respected each other before the brits came.

Then, pidgin english was Africa's lingua franca..
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by musicwriter(m): 4:05pm On Dec 29, 2014
cap28:

Africa has already been re-colonised - read up about USAFRICOM

Good you know that. But, it's not yet there. Rather, USAFRICOM is all part of the evolution of the re-colonization of Africa meticulously being worked out by the west. The re-colonization of Africa is a gentle and slow process, and by the time it gets completed in about 100 years our militaries, for example will wear US or British military uniforms to fight people like me, same way you see some people here disputing everything by saying there's nothing wrong prioritizing foreign languages in our schools. What a shame!
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by mencer(m): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2014
The only country in Europe where English is the official language is the UK..... others have their languages as the first but we have thrown ours away

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 29, 2014
SkinnyDude:

for Apple
u try
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nmeri17: 5:10pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennygee:

I'm not saying we shouldn't have English names, but our native names should be first then English name should be Secondary or even Eliminated sef.

the Kenny in yur moniker, mbok what Nigerian tribe does it belong to undecided

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Fulaman198(m): 5:50pm On Dec 29, 2014
RichDad1:
Op, I share your sentiment, but unfortunately, that is one of the price of Evolution.
It will interest you to know that the USA was not originally an All English speaking country, They have local and indigenous languages and applies to the UK. Infact, up till today, there're still people speaking indigenous languages in Wales and Scotland - alas, a few of them.
And since we are modeling our country towards this DEVELOPED nations, this is the price to pay.

If you believe that speaking traditional languages and being a copycat and selling out your culture to be a wannabe gets you respect, you are dead wrong. The western world don't value people who don't value themselves. If anything this is not evolution, it's devolution.

The Hausa people are proud of their language and culture, thus BBC granted them BBC Hausa. The Fulani people, we are proud of our language and culture, that's why we speak the most widespread language (Pulaar/Fulfulde) in west Africa. People should really stop with the sellout behaviour. Look at GEJ for example. He was being a hard core sellout by bowing down to America, and look at the respect he got back in return.

Just an FYI, western nations do not like or care about African nations. Do start caring about yourselves and your beautiful cultures and stop the bull crap

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Fulaman198(m): 5:52pm On Dec 29, 2014
aurenflani:

This does not apply to Hausa speaking people.

I would say it doesn't apply to most Northern ethnic groups except the minorities
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ishilove: 5:55pm On Dec 29, 2014
KazukiIto:

That's because it is niqqah! Wole Soyinka didn't win a Nobel with pej. Our languages are inferior. Ur post is clearly written in English abi?
What makes our languages inferior? Please enlighten us on this very interesting submission.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Fulaman198(m): 5:57pm On Dec 29, 2014
cap28:

No, you are inferior because you look down on yourself, your culture and your language.

What is the big deal about the NObel prize, does it put food on your table?

How many white people read Wole Soyinka's books? Come to think of it how many Nigerians read and understand Wole Soyinka's books?

My post is written in English not because I love to speak the language but because I am a victim of colonialism.

If I had my way English language would be banned in Nigeria and I would overhaul the educational system so that the young ones coming up would start learning to develop pride in being African.

I really like this, I'm very proud of you my brother. I think Senegal is doing it the right way. They are starting to ban French in favour of Wolof even though they are also a multi-ethnic nation. They are proud to be Africans, not wannabes

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ishilove: 6:00pm On Dec 29, 2014
korexdodo:
It is good for nigerian languages to die, because language is the main cause of our problems as a nation.
True it is a heritage from our fathers, but it only butreses our differences as anation and tends to divide us and make us see each other as different from us.
It was the cause of the civil war,cos if Ironsi had been overthrown by another Ibo man their would have been no war,but being overthrown by the hausas, the Ibos saw them as different from themselves.
Lets copy the Americans, they are from all corners of the earth with different languages, but chose to speak only 1 language ,which is English.
Thats why Americans unit more than other countries in the world.
This is very false. The aborigines were non-English speakers,but when they colonialists (British migrants) took over America, they foisted the English language on them (the Indians) and since then English became the lingua franca of the USA.

America's unity comes from good governance, and not language.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ishilove: 6:07pm On Dec 29, 2014
AreaFada2:

Na wa o, ban native language at home? shocked

That na madness na.
Siddon there. I have a student I teach who told me her father banned her and siblings from speaking their native language(Yoruba) at home. At the age of almost 14 the girl doesn't speak a word of Yoruba, but ironically both parents speak it to each other.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Fulaman198(m): 6:13pm On Dec 29, 2014
Ishilove:

Siddon there. I have a student I teach who told me her father banned her and siblings from speaking their native language(Yoruba) at home. At the age of almost 14 the girl doesn't speak a word of Yoruba, but ironically both parents speak it to each other.

Yah that sounds like a major inferiority complex. I'm not going to say anything mean, I'll keep my sentiments to myself about her parents.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Ishilove: 6:21pm On Dec 29, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yah that sounds like a major inferiority complex. I'm not going to say anything mean, I'll keep my sentiments to myself about her parents.
Lol. I share your sentiments.

They all bear Hebrew and English names. Her middle name Oyin, which means 'Honey' in Yoruba is used by her mum secretly. Her dad doesn't know she uses Oyin.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by cap28: 6:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
Fulaman198:

I really like this, I'm very proud of you my brother. I think Senegal is doing it the right way. They are starting to ban French in favour of Wolof even though they are also a multi-ethnic nation. They are proud to be Africans, not wannabes

thanks bros and merry xmas, hope you had a good one.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by tziz(m): 6:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
reaky:

Hahaha not oghenereaky oo
D name is rekpene
D tribe is bahumono
Abi LGA cross river state
Aii bro.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by macof(m): 6:57pm On Dec 29, 2014
Divepen:

Although lecturers and student of the linguistics department are trying hard to make sure our languages does not die, it is up to you to keep our 527+ languages from dying out completely and being replaced by a foreign language: English.

I think some languages need to die in order to create a better cultural assimilation in some parts of Nigeria...
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wish for Africans to forget their language for a foreign one but rather another African language better organized, popular and spoken by more people

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by macof(m): 7:02pm On Dec 29, 2014
jonezz:
What can we do?Since every gadget are been Made by these English people we just have to follow follow.
Lmao
I can bet China alone makes more gadget than all of Europe combined

It's about will brother, Africans are unwilling to stand up for the sake of their identity and heritage

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by macof(m): 7:22pm On Dec 29, 2014
mhyra:
I Don't fully understand my language.. and I wish my children would understand it like xoxo... how can that be possible.. please advice.. no ofiennce embarassed

Take them home during holidays and seek help from the elders...they won't only learn d language but culture nd history
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 29, 2014
donmalcolm21:
Nigerians view anybody that doesnt speak English as inferior, we blame Pej as if English should be a pre requisite for any communication. In my University days the best student wasnt able to express himself very well but he knew the right formular for every equation. Speaking our own language should be inculcated into our wards before we lost our future to western culture and language.

Hmmmm. .... about PEJ I'd rather she speak her native language than speak English though. What is worth doing is worth doing well.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by macof(m): 7:32pm On Dec 29, 2014
starlingleanets:
It no easy na to combine dad's dialect,mum dialect's and come top am with Tribal dialect. You see i give up on speaking my dad's dialect nd remain content on my english language as a matter of fact i gave up on Yoruba. When u look at a d negative effect of those dialect u will join my group; There is this beautiful Lady,so endowed then in our computer centre,she got addicted to dialect that she cannot say "How are you doing" without skipping like crack CD despite she schooled in a private school.

If there is need to speak my dialect i will do so but if talking to people i had use my english supplied with small high vocal.

Doesn't matter...surely speaking multiple languages affects each other in proficiency nd ur common accent but ur father's language is first.
It's totally disgusting nt to speak ur the language of ur ethnicity
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by macof(m): 7:34pm On Dec 29, 2014
KazukiIto:

That's because it is niqqah! Wole Soyinka didn't win a Nobel with pej. Our languages are inferior. Ur post is clearly written in English abi?

Even WS loves Yoruba language and culture, if u read his work and follow his activities, you would know that he's all about "Yoruba"
the man is even a proud traditionalist so u got no case here
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 29, 2014
macof:

Doesn't matter...surely speaking multiple languages affects each other in proficiency nd ur common accent but ur father's language is first.
It's totally disgusting nt to speak ur the language of ur ethnicity
My dad self no dey speak d language except when d need arise. Its not important jare.
Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by okomogo(m): 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2014
kennygee:

Thanks, God bless you, We remain slaves until we change from this western lifestyle, from traditional marriage that our laws doesn't recognize to our children upbringing, we will never grow with imitation, let's be original

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying by Fulaman198(m): 9:42pm On Dec 29, 2014
Ishilove:

Lol. I share your sentiments.

They all bear Hebrew and English names. Her middle name Oyin, which means 'Honey' in Yoruba is used by her mum secretly. Her dad doesn't know she uses Oyin.

Yah it's very upsetting that there are people who really choose to go the English, Hebrew name and even Arab name route. I think it's ridiculous really. Although those who go with Arab names do still speak their respective Nigerian/African languages fluently. I just don't get why give up your beautiful African/Nigerian/Black culture up for something that doesn't even fit us. I mean it's a bit ridiculous.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'God Is The King Of Kings'; Ooni Of Ife Joins Christians For Prayers. Photos / Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland? / Ooni Ogunwusi Gives Speech At Pennsylvania Parliament (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.