Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,084 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens (1453 Views)

Nigerian Pharmacist Reveals What Constant Sex Will Do To You / Lagos Has 1 Million HIV/AIDS Patients? / Nigeria Contains Ebola - Has 1 Case Left - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by bandol(m): 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
he Nigerian Association of Hospital and Administrative Pharmacists (NAHAP) has said there are about 17,600 registered pharmacists in the country, giving a ratio of 1 pharmacist to 12,000 Nigerians.
Chairman of association, Pharm. Yakubu Maji-Isah, who made the revelation at the recently held 15th Annual Scientific Conference of the body, said the figure contrast sharply with the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommendation of 1 pharmacist to 2,000 people.
He called on regulatory bodies to synergize towards open drug markets through enforcement of ban on sale of drugs in the open, motor parks and buses as such drugs may be poisonous and injurious to the unsuspecting public.
Dr John Alfa, Director Pharmaceutical Services at the National Assembly, Abuja who presented a keynote address at the occasion, called for adequate budgetary provision as well as training and retraining for pharmacists in Nigeria adding that the safety of medicine is concerned with the risk benefit ratio which is supposed to be low.
He said the conference assessed the role of the pharmacist because quality of medicine is essential as any adulterated drug is considered not safe but toxic to the patient.
In her remarks, Dr. Asuelinmen Celina, said the theme of the conference “The Role of Hospital and Administrative Pharmacists in Providing Safe Medicines for Nigerians” is apt considering the challenges of ensuring that safe, efficacious and cost effective drugs are delivered to Nigerians.

http://dailytrust.info/index.php/news/4648-nigeria-has-1-pharmacist-to-12-000-citizens

Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by Damojo: 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
Foolish people. Who told them all the registered pharmacists are practising?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by joshuapharm(m): 8:25pm On Sep 04, 2013
Very sad.. We need more pharmacy schools..
Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by onagoodday1: 11:17pm On Sep 12, 2013
Damojo: Foolish people. Who told them all the registered pharmacists are practising?

my broother,how are they fooloish?if you are a pharmacist and not practicing,would yoube counted as practicing
Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by onagoodday1: 11:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
joshuapharm: Very sad.. We need more pharmacy schools..

well said,buh you know how expensive it is to train a pharmacist. you know the money spent on training a single pharmacist can train 3 doctors and a 5 nurses considering the amount of reagents used in practicals it is not all school that can afford such money, that is why we have so many medical and nursing schools but few pharmacy schools....SMH
Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
on a good day:

well said,buh you know how expensive it is to train a pharmacist. you know the money spent on training a single pharmacist can train 3 doctors and a 5 nurses considering the amount of reagents used in practicals it is not all school that can afford such money, that is why we have so many medical and nursing schools but few pharmacy schools....SMH
are you sure its that expensive?? Am a Pharmacist in the making and by God's grace i would be graduating in 2 years time. Its not very expensive when you compare it to the cost of training a Physician. Doctors use more textbooks than we do, that alone na another bill
Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by joshuapharm(m): 4:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
KingMEXX: are you sure its that expensive?? Am a Pharmacist in the making and by God's grace i would be graduating in 2 years time. Its not very expensive when you compare it to the cost of training a Physician. Doctors use more textbooks than we do, that alone na another bill

That's not what he his talking about. Sheybi na the doctor go buy the book. He is talking about what a certified pharmacy school should have basically. U surely know all 5 departments and even pharmacology have their own laboratories. Now stocking those laboratories fully is a big deal as nothing less than 15 to 20 million would be needed. Apart from pharmacology practicals and some pathology ish, I don't think the meds do so much practical work.
Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by onagoodday1: 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
joshuapharm:

That's not what he his talking about. Sheybi na the doctor go buy the book. He is talking about what a certified pharmacy school should have basically. U surely know all 5 departments and even pharmacology have their own laboratories. Now stocking those laboratories fully is a big deal as nothing less than 15 to 20 million would be needed. Apart from pharmacology practicals and some pathology ish, I don't think the meds do so much practical work.
Thanks jarry, you got the point kiss kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has 1 Pharmacist To 12,000 Citizens by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
joshuapharm:

I now understand what yu mean. Well, if yu come from that angle then yur right. Buh rememba that med students also engage in the pathology pract ish, ward round, pract with cadavar and stuffs. I dont knw much abt d med skl cos my campus is far from the med campus. Buh i guess yur rite sha. Upon that, Pxcists still dnt get much respect like ones given to the docs. Quite sad cry

(1) (Reply)

My Concerns On Maternity N Delivery / I Need Help !!!! Any Qiuck/Rapid Hair Growth Idea? / Natural Cure To Keloids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.