Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. (1849 Views)

Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians / Innoson Cars May Be Used As Official Cars For National Assembly / Ghana Buys Innoson Cars For Presidential Campaign(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by dtneicna(m): 6:56pm On Sep 04, 2013
Hi, there's this thing that has been bothering my mind as regards people's reaction to teenagers having a car. In some countries overseas, there are some vehicles that they believe are meant for teens but here in Nigeria, if a teen is seen driving that type of car, you'll hear people say 'tani o gbe iru motor yi fun omo yii?' i. e ' who gave this boy/girl this type of vehicle to drive?'
When you visit a website like edmunds.com, you'll find a topic there 'cars for teenagers' which include the: 2009 Honda Accord
2009 Toyota Camry
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
2010 Volkswagen Jetta
2011 Hyundai Sonata
2012 Honda Accord
2012 Hyundai Sonata
2012 Toyota Camry
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
and the likes. My point and my question now is that, is because of the status of our country Nigeria as a developing country or what?
I'll appreciate substantial comments, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 04, 2013
The answer is POVERTY simple

1 Like

Re: Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2013
And thats why U keep seeing Old men driving Golf 2
Re: Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by DisGuy: 11:58am On Sep 05, 2013
d_tneicna: Hi, there's this thing that has been bothering my mind as regards people's reaction to teenagers having a car. In some countries overseas, there are some vehicles that they believe are meant for teens but here in Nigeria, if a teen is seen driving that type of car, you'll hear people say 'tani o gbe iru motor yi fun omo yii?' i. e ' who gave this boy/girl this type of vehicle to drive?'
When you visit a website like edmunds.com, you'll find a topic there 'cars for teenagers' which include the: 2009 Honda Accord
2009 Toyota Camry
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
2010 Volkswagen Jetta
2011 Hyundai Sonata
2012 Honda Accord
2012 Hyundai Sonata
2012 Toyota Camry
2012 Volkswagen Jetta
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
and the likes. My point and my question now is that, is because of the status of our country Nigeria as a developing country or what?
I'll appreciate substantial comments, thank you.

these cars dont anything like what the average teenage wil buy but then again it's depending on what country you are surveying- these cars are family, boring grown men cars

Golf, Vauxhal Corsa, Seat Ibiza, 206 GTi, Audi A3/A4 have more va va voom for the average teenager in Europe- Hatchbacks, small and easy to park and sporty feel

to the main issue, most teenagers in naija cant afford to buy a car as they are not allowed to work, hence adult will usually be shocked- they know it's most likely their family car or belongs to someone who will foot the bill when something goes wrong.

Teenagers elsewhere will most probably buy the cars on credit, and pay it off on a monthly basis from their part time work and personal savings

1 Like

Re: Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by dtneicna(m): 1:43am On Jan 08, 2015
thanks man
Re: Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by nurey(m): 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2015
Police stop me driving a toyota sienna, they don't harass or even bother to stop me, police see me driving a 2006 Honda Accord:
Police: oya park, park well stop stop stop
Me: good day sir
Police: ehn, who has this car
Me: my brother inlaw sir
Police: open the boot, open the bonnet, open the fuel tank, where your tint permit, wetin you carry, wetin dey inside this bag, where the laptop. I am sure sey you be yahoo boy
Me: keeps cool oga this car is not tinted sir
Police: who get car, you no hear talk nah
Me: it belongs to my sisters husband sir
Police: hope you have driver license and are your papers complete
Me: yes sir
Police: oya find something for boys
Me: I was sent on errand sir may be next time I don't have money on me sir
Police: looks like a he wants to release gas, oya go, comot 4 here.
Me: thank you sir, happy to have outwitted the officer

But seriously even if a young guy gets a part time job how much can he save from the chicken change he receives to buy a car, he has so many responsibilities
1. Material things
2. Girl friend
3. Maintaining his image
4. Minor family responsibilities

1 Like

Re: Cars For Teenagers: The Controversy. by sultaan(m): 9:25am On Jan 10, 2015
When I very young in mid 80's , my older brothers in high school have friend who drive to school because one of them died in car accident.

in high school in 90s some still drove

now car is luxury instead of utility thanks to the increase poverty level.

If a parent let their teenager own a car through last year of high school and college that child will be ahead of others when it comes to being responsible and you won't find grown men asking which is better between a Corolla and Camry.

(1) (Reply)

External Airbags Could Be Available Before The End Of The Decade. / Help Needed For My Camry 2006 / What's The Big Deal With Learning Driving Using Auto?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.