Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,173 members, 7,815,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats (10640 Views)

How Can I Report WAEC Exam Malpractice Happening In My School? / How To Perfectly Choose Subjects For SSCE / WAEC Exam / 2-Students Commit Suicide Over WAEC-Exam-Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by IamDrock(m): 6:58am On Sep 05, 2013

The federal government yesterday rose from its weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting approving the enactment of an Act to amend the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) Act, CAP W4, Laws of the federation 2004 to give effect to the revised convention of WAEC, 2003 in Nigeria.

Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’i, disclosed this yesterday while briefing journalists on the outcome of the FEC meeting, stressing that under the new Act examination malpractice will fetch five year jail term for offenders or the option of N200,000 fine.

The 2004 Act, to which an amendment is being sought, states that WAEC is empowered to take disciplinary action against those who have contravened the Act by illegally using examination papers and leakage of examination papers, etc.

In particular, section 19(1) reads: “such candidate shall not take or be allowed to take or continue the examination, in addition, he shall be prohibited from taking any examination held or conducted by or on behalf of the council for a period of two years immediately following upon such contraventions and if a candidate aforesaid has already taken any papers at the examination, his result therefrom shall be cancelled.”

In addition, the candidate may be prosecuted and if found guilty shall be “liable on conviction to a fine of N200,000 or imprisonment for a term of five years or to both such fine and imprisonment.”

Section 20 (2) reads: “the penalties contained in this sub-section (a) may be imposed whether or not a prosecution for an offence under section 20 or 21 of this Act has been brought or is being conducted or contemplated and (b) shall be in addition to such other penalties as a court may impose upon conviction for an offence under the aforesaid section 20 or 21.”

Rufa'i in a memo tabled before FEC noted that there was the need to domesticate the revised convention establishing the WAEC, Accra, 2003, pointing out that: “The ordinances have been replaced with the conventions which confers legal personality on the Council as an international organisation.”

“The council established in 1952 and operated in Gold Coast (Ghana) , Nigeria, Sierra Leone and The Gambia and Liberia “now operates under a revised convention signed in 2003 and functions through committees.”

The federal government also directed the Ministry of Justice to take further necessary action on the matter.

The government also approved the policy for the establishment of National Health Care Waste Management for Nigeria. The Minister of Health and his Environment counterpart, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu and Hajiya Hadiza Mailafiya respectively jointly presented a memo to FEC on the policy.

As a signatory to the Basel Convention on control of trans-boundary movements of hazardous wastes and disposal, the domestication of which is in progress and which necessitated the need for a national health waste policy, guideline and strategic plan, “Nigeria at present does not have a coordinated healthcare waste management system, especially in the area of segregation, collection, storage, treatment and disposal,” Mailafiya said.

She said the federal government, having deliberated on the matter, approved the adoption of the national health waste management policy and guidelines, and the establishment of the proposed National steering committee, taking cognisance of the fact that in the past “it has made some efforts in form of provision of high temperature incinerators at tertiary health facilities which form part of the healthcare policy and strategic plan.”

The government also approved the draft national fire safety code which will be implemented nationwide.

A post-council document stated that: ‘The code had become an urgent necessity in view of the rapid urbanisation and industrialisation that require safety inputs in the construction industry and town planning as well as industrial chemical processes.”

“The national fire safety code stipulates safety requirements in buildings estate, markets and similar structures which must be met before approval of building development plans are granted by relevant authorities,” it added.

The national fire safety code prescribes minimum standards for the establishment of a reasonable level of fire safety, Property protection from hazards resulting from fire, explosion and hazardous materials.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-waec-offenders-risk-five-year-jail-term-n200-000-fine/158179/
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Horlazuncanmi(m): 7:07am On Sep 05, 2013
End time things

4 Likes

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 05, 2013
AND HOW MANY YEARS FOR ELECTION CHEATS, crazy people

15 Likes

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by yunglykmine(m): 9:19am On Sep 05, 2013
Nigerian youths don suffer Oo.. We
are the most neglected(ASUU
strike), most abused. Election riggers, corrupt Gov't
officials nko? 30yrs in jail bah? Nonsense!! They won't always pass the right laws.

1 Like

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by IamDrock(m): 10:48am On Sep 05, 2013
Horlazuncanmi: End time things
idiot..
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by deeptesting(m): 11:52am On Sep 05, 2013
Good development, though the law is still meant for the poor and downtrodden.
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by crystalballs: 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
What about juvenile deliquency?

1 Like

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2013
CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by twentyk(m): 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
now I trully believe we are in d era of END TIME SUMTING.all d topics lately are signs.

1 Like

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by bizfirst: 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
LIFE SENTENCE FOR ELECTION RIGGING... till then, I refuse to take such a country that would pass such laws serious...
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by nerodenero: 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli: AND HOW MANY YEARS FOR ELECTION CHEATS, crazy people
A step in the right direction but all our leaders should also be jailed for looting the treasury and bringing the country to the state that it is now.
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by nopecin(m): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
Nah God go punish person wey fisrt reason am, person wey put am to law and all of them wey agree.....end time things

2 Likes

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Odunharry(m): 3:36pm On Sep 05, 2013
dem go jail almst half of d studnts n evn teachers be that...

These are d signs....

1 Like

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Tunsbobo(m): 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
Oh God my father, when would I become the 1st to comment? I need deliverance

3 Likes

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Tholudee(f): 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ok...they wan gather money to pay ASUU

3 Likes

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by olaide19(f): 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
Na only laws dem sabi make.Y can't u treat the pressing issue on ground ( ASUU strike)before dealing with such stuffs.May God save us in this country

1 Like

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by twentyk(m): 3:39pm On Sep 05, 2013
Tunsbobo: Oh God my father, when would I become the 1st to comment? I need deliverance
signs of end.
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by abes(m): 3:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
A five year jail term for a minor? End shall never wonder
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by chucksbadt(m): 3:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
I have never said this before but.......

END TIME TINS ooooooooo
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by captainsinzu(m): 3:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
I will not join in sayin end time tinx..whoop did I just say it undecided
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by DEGREE2466(m): 3:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
Whatever is the case

i know Nigeria and their laws so it is not today

#Nothing Mega#
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
Tunsbobo: Oh God my father, when would I become the 1st to comment? I need deliverance
ask your village people.. they might have padlocked it on a tree, your success that is lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by lexrichy(m): 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
how does this affect assu strike.but come ooo are we really in

the end timeZ
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by ayswagga5: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
signs of end time............
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Silva79(f): 3:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
Dis law should take effect after my NECO/GCE.
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Airforce1(m): 3:45pm On Sep 05, 2013
Dat yeye minister of education woman is not serious walaihi.
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Sagytarius(m): 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
it won't work. Not when the police aren't done with bribery.
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by BCELLS(m): 3:50pm On Sep 05, 2013
This is absolutely nothing but one of the end time tinz!
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Odunharry(m): 3:51pm On Sep 05, 2013
Silva79: Dis law should take effect after my NECO/GCE.
ds is d end tym..y afta ur own?
Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by oduaboy1: 3:52pm On Sep 05, 2013
Silva79: Dis law should take effect after my NECO/GCE.
You must be a very dull girl

1 Like

Re: Five-year Imprisonment For WAEC Exam Cheats by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 05, 2013
na who dey dey make d law for

mtcheeew cortupt polithiefcians

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijmb Direct Entry Into Uniabuja / List Of Ooni That Ruled Ile Ife / Download Latest Law Project Topics/materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.