Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy (6788 Views)

Protest In Abuja Over FG's Inability To Rescue Chibok Girls (Pics) / INEC Weighs Its Options On Kogi, Lawyers Disagree:thisday / Rivers, PDP Disagree Over $280m Water, Sanitation Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 05, 2013
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, and the Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, on Wednesday disagreed on the success or otherwise of the Federal Government’s fertiliser distribution policy.

Adesina and Aregbesola spoke during a debate on ‘Growing agriculture at the state level’ during the 19th Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja.

The minister said 3.5 million farmers had so far benefitted from the fertiliser distribution scheme under the Growth Enhancement Programme, adding that the government was embarking on some reforms, while the states were also carrying out land reforms.

He said, “We are working with all the governors on the fertiliser sector reforms. We said the old fertiliser business was just a racket. In the old times, people would just fill papers at the federal level and fertiliser didn’t get distributed, but people get paid; and so, with Mr. President’s support, we cleaned up that sector and the state governments participated.

“The Federal Government’s participation is 25 per cent and the state governments paid 25 per cent of the subsidy. When we started last year, we reached 1.5 million farmers. This year, we have reached about 3.5 million farmers and we expect to reach five million more before the end of the dry season.

“So, it is that synergy between the federal and state governments working together, taking agriculture as a business rather than a development programme that makes things work.”

But faulting the minister, Aregbesola said the policy was a total failure in Osun State.

The governor argued that contrary to the claims by the minister, no farmer in the state had benefitted from the initiative.

He said if Osun State had benefitted from the scheme, his administration would not have spent about N1bn on fertiliser purchase for the farmers.

Aregbesola said, “I see the spirit, the zeal and the passion of the minister of agriculture. The fertiliser distribution thing did not get to my state.

“Honestly, I am serious about this. Whatever the governor of Anambra experienced, I did not experience. I had to commit close to N1bn to procuring fertiliser when the one arranged through the agents you put together failed woefully and painfully so, and that is the truth.

“My whole approach to all of this is to let Nigerians know the danger that is staring at all of us. If we keep on pretending and sitting down that all is right, there is a major problem.”

www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/minister-aregbesola-disagree-over-fgs-fertiliser-policy/
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 05, 2013
THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF OSUN also gave an example of what other states should emulate, he feeds school children with 300,000 thousand eggs every week, this has impacted on poultry farmers in and around the state. The same impact is felt by fish farmers, rice, pepper, beans and so on.

I think the government should concentrate on this rather than fertiliser, as farmers need to sell their produce fast, thereby putting money in their hands, reducing bad or decayed food, takes out storage problems and transportation.

I can confirm that the fertiliser distribution thing is not working as this fertilisers still end up in wrong hands, i know poultry farmers who got the fertiliser in Lagos.

Finally, the federal government should consider buying farm produce from farmers for storage and export to make the sector lucrative.
They can adopt osun's model and make it mandatory for and egg a day or a meal a day for school children. India and many south American countries use this model.

5 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 05, 2013
What has a poultry farmer got to do with fertilizer? Is he feeding the chickens with it? oh lawdy lord!! grin
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 05, 2013
berem: What has a poultry farmer got to do with fertilizer? Is he feeding the chickens with it? oh lawdy lord!! grin
I TIRE O, that's actually what's going on the ground while those in Abuja celebrates their "achievements". You have to wonder why the price and availability of food stuff keeps rising with their self acclaimed success.

1 Like

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 05, 2013
btw the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has a budget of N81.41bn in 2013.
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli:
I TIRE O, that's actually what's going on the ground while those in Abuja celebrates their "achievements". You have to wonder why the price and availability of food stuff keeps rising with their self acclaimed success.
Who is in charge of the fertilizer distribution? Federal Government might not be necessarily blamed for the fertilizer not reaching the farmers. The Ministry of Agriculture should create an agency which will have branches across all local governments. The agency should be in charge of distributing fertilizers directly to the farmers. If this is not done, farmers will continue to complain of fertilizers not reaching them.
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli: btw the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has a budget of N81.41bn in 2013.
Do you have a breakdown of what they use the money for? Apart from purchase of mobile phones and fertilizer what else do they do with their budget?
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by AkamuandStew: 10:27am On Sep 05, 2013
berem: Who is in charge of the fertilizer distribution? Federal Government might not be necessarily blamed for the fertilizer not reaching the farmers. The Ministry of Agriculture should create an agency which will have branches across all local governments. The agency should be in charge of distributing fertilizers directly to the farmers. If this is not done, unfortunately farmers will continue to complain of fertilizers not reaching them.

If not FG then who??

Maybe Federal Ministry of Agric.... Abi??

grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by naptu2: 10:36am On Sep 05, 2013
That's why I advocate for real federalism.

I'll quote Adams Oshiomole (even though I don't completely agree with him) who said that "the Federal Government has no business running a 'Federal Ministry of Agriculture'. It's a complete waste of money and an avenue for corruption because they can not monitor the farmlands across the country from Abuja".

We should have fiscal federalism, which would mean that the states would depend on their resources (they'd get 50% derivation, instead of 13%). Nobody should get free oil money from the centre.

Each state would then devise a strategy that would suit it (eg the old produce boards, or something else).

I believe that we could have a federal ministry of agriculture, but their main aim should be to negotiate international agreements and seek export markets for our produce.

8 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by taharqa: 10:36am On Sep 05, 2013
Was it not dis same Aregbe who rejected and frustrated d FG's Fertilizer programme in his state, just like he did to SURE-P's Employment Scheme, simply for parochial political reasons?? Other Govs, like that of Delta, and many others who participated in d conference, acknowledged General working of d New Fertilizer Scheme; why is Osun State different??

4 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 05, 2013
Akamu and Stew:

If not FG then who??

Maybe Federal Ministry of Agric.... Abi??

grin grin grin
Seems you're high on Akamu this morning. Is FG in charge of distributing the fertilizers directly to the farmers?
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 05, 2013
naptu2: That's why I advocate for real federalism.

I'll quote Adams Oshiomole (even though I don't completely agree with him) who said that "the Federal Government has no business running a 'Federal Ministry of Agriculture'. It's a complete waste of money and an avenue for corruption because they can not monitor the farmlands across the country from Abuja".

We should have fiscal federalism, which would mean that the states would depend on their resources (they'd get 50% derivation, instead of 13%). Nobody should get free oil money from the centre.

Each state would then devise a strategy that would suit it (eg the old produce boards, or something else).

I believe that we could have a federal ministry of agriculture, but their main aim should be to negotiate international agreements and seek export markets for our produce.

naptu2 I agree with you 100 %, the FG should concentrate on markets for farm produce, most importantly exports and international trade relations. This fertiliser obsecession is just stupid. Farmers would source for the best fertiliser when they have money in their pockets this would in turn encourage others to set up fertiliser and seedling companies . For example why would a commercial farmer need government fertiliser?

2 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 05, 2013
taharqa: Was it not dis same Aregbe who rejected and frustrated d FG's Fertilizer programme in his state, just like he did to SURE-P's Employment Scheme, simply for parochial political reasons?? Other Govs, like that of Delta, and many others who participated in d conference, acknowledged General working of d New Fertilizer Scheme; why is Osun State different??
Where is the results of the phantom success in the fertiliser distribution in other states, you should discuss with farmers in your state and here from them.

1 Like

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by rainbowman: 10:58am On Sep 05, 2013
I watched the State Governors session yesterday, though, I missed the keynote address from the Honourable Minister of Agriculture. From what I gathered, however, I discovered that the Minister had all the data including names and locations of all farmers who benefited from the GES programme with regards to fertilizer. Moreso, other state governors including the Governors of Kebbi, Anambra, Kogi and Cross Rivers state all had stories of how successful the scheme was but still pointed out some shortcoming where the Minister ought to improve. So its surprising that if some states recorded such feats while Mr Aregbesola could not.Other Governors were talking about improving value chains, bringing in investors and giving them some incentives such as land and tax holidays so as to readily process cash and food products, Mr Aregbesola claimed that the whole Agric transformation was a sham. For instance the Anambra state governor along with Governor Dakingari of Kebbi mentioned their success stories on rice production, using Sure P funds to purchase the products for storage from the peasant farmers in order to ensure price stability and income for the farmers however out brother from Osun state was just purely negative and obviously had no grasp about the issue at hand. I was really dissapointed with his response when asked what his state is doing differently in order to encourage investors to come and invest all he could point out was that he was feeding 300,000 pupils with one egg per week to which the entire session erupted in laughter. That is not to say that venture is not a good feat in itself, but the real question remains the sustainability of the whole venture since the resounding theme of the Summit is to make Agriculture private sector driven. As for the agriculture transformational agenda, I believe that there has to be cooperation between the Federal and State Governments regardless of political orientation, in that the States identify areas which are favourable to the them, bring in the investors and ask the Federal Government to provide gurantees for funding and policies since the state government more or less own the land.

10 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by awodman: 10:59am On Sep 05, 2013
awodman: .
At one point, he claimed his state had been shut out of the federal government fertiliser distribution scheme to aid farmers in various state, stressing that about N1 billion had been spent from the state purse to procure fertiliser ƒσя farmers.

However, his claim was refuted by the Minister of
Agriculture and Rural Development, Mr. Akinwunmi
Adesina, who said it was untrue that fertilisers had failed to reach Osun State, adding that it was beyond the federal government to deliver the product directly to farmers in the states.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/govs-want-funding-to-attract-youths-to-agriculture/158182/
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli:
For example why would a commercial farmer need government fertiliser?
The only reason a commercial farmer needs government fertilizer is because it's been subsidized. Unfortunately, someone buys the subsidized fertilizers from government and resell it at a higher price to the farmers.That's where the problem lies.
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 05, 2013
berem: Do you have a breakdown of what they use the money for? Apart from purchase of mobile phones and fertilizer what else do they do with their budget?
Honestly i have been looking for that breakdown but it's almost impossible to get, even the poultry association can get decent information from the Ministry. Our major raw materials for animal feeds (soya and maize) are selling at "gold" price hence the recent increment in the price of eggs.
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by awodman: 11:02am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli:
Where is the results of the phantom success in the fertiliser distribution in other states, you should discuss with farmers in your state and here from them.

Here is your answer from an independent observer

rainbowman: I watched the State Governors session yesterday, though, I missed the keynote address from the Honourable Minister of Agriculture. From what I gathered, however, I discovered that the Minister had all the data including names and locations of all farmers who benefited from the GES programme with regards to fertilizer. Moreso, other state governors including the Governors of Kebbi, Anambra, Kogi and Cross Rivers state all had stories of how successful the scheme was but still pointed out some shortcoming where the Minister ought to improve. So its surprising that if some states recorded such feats while Mr Aregbesola could not.Other Governors were talking about improving value chains, bringing in investors and giving them some incentives such as land and tax holidays so as to readily process cash and food products, Mr Aregbesola claimed that the whole Agric transformation was a sham. For instance the Anambra state governor along with Governor Dakingari of Kebbi mentioned their success stories on rice production, using Sure P funds to purchase the products for storage from the peasant farmers in order to ensure price stability and income for the farmers however out brother from Osun state was just purely negative and obviously had no grasp about the issue at hand. I was really dissapointed with his response when asked what his state is doing differently in order to encourage investors to come and invest all he could point out was that he was feeding 300,000 pupils with one egg per week to which the entire session erupted in laughter. That is not to say that venture is not a good feat in itself, but the real question remains the sustainability of the whole venture since the resounding theme of the Summit is to make Agriculture private sector driven. As for the agriculture transformational agenda, I believe that there has to be cooperation between the Federal and State Governments regardless of political orientation, in that the States identify areas which are favourable to the them, bring in the investors and ask the Federal Government to provide gurantees for funding and policies since the state government more or less own the land.

1 Like

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 05, 2013
berem: The only reason a commercial farmer needs government fertilizer is because it's been subsidized. Unfortunately, someone buys the subsidized fertilizers from government and resell it at a higher price to the farmers.That's where the problem lies.
trust me a commercial farmer does not even bother himself about subsidized fertiliser, because the fertiliser distributed by the FG is of low quality and is not diverse as there are different fertiliser for different crops.

Why subsidise fertiliser anyway, I won't go into farming just because fertiliser is subsidized, what happens to making the market attractive, how about storage and transportation.

Sis mi, the fertiliser is just about the least problem farmers are facing, they want to sell their produce fast at good prices before they perish.

Subsidy is also the reason why private companies shy away from fertiliser business.

2 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 05, 2013
awodman:

Here is your answer from an independent observer

You've got to be kidding me, ask the farmers on ground, do you know there is scarcity of maize as we speak, do you know a kilo of maize cost 88 naira and soya beans 122 naira per kilo.

2 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by omonnakoda: 11:21am On Sep 05, 2013
This Minister talks a good talk but little action.According to him our bellies are now full of cassava bread and Abakaliki rice

2 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by dridowu: 11:23am On Sep 05, 2013
Dont really have much to say cos i rarely follow this fertilizer issue. So am out to other thread
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 05, 2013
rainbowman: I watched the State Governors session yesterday, though, I missed the keynote address from the Honourable Minister of Agriculture. From what I gathered, however, I discovered that the Minister had all the data including names and locations of all farmers who benefited from the GES programme with regards to fertilizer. Moreso, other state governors including the Governors of Kebbi, Anambra, Kogi and Cross Rivers state all had stories of how successful the scheme was but still pointed out some shortcoming where the Minister ought to improve. So its surprising that if some states recorded such feats while Mr Aregbesola could not.Other Governors were talking about improving value chains, bringing in investors and giving them some incentives such as land and tax holidays so as to readily process cash and food products, Mr Aregbesola claimed that the whole Agric transformation was a sham. For instance the Anambra state governor along with Governor Dakingari of Kebbi mentioned their success stories on rice production, using Sure P funds to purchase the products for storage from the peasant farmers in order to ensure price stability and income for the farmers however out brother from Osun state was just purely negative and obviously had no grasp about the issue at hand. I was really dissapointed with his response when asked what his state is doing differently in order to encourage investors to come and invest all he could point out was that he was feeding 300,000 pupils with one egg per week to which the entire session erupted in laughter. That is not to say that venture is not a good feat in itself, but the real question remains the sustainability of the whole venture since the resounding theme of the Summit is to make Agriculture private sector driven. As for the agriculture transformational agenda, I believe that there has to be cooperation between the Federal and State Governments regardless of political orientation, in that the States identify areas which are favourable to the them, bring in the investors and ask the Federal Government to provide gurantees for funding and policies since the state government more or less own the land.
Do you know it's a standard across the world that government buy produce to set the market rolling? Do you know that farmers where throw thousands of crates of eggs away in July becos of glut

1 Like

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by awodman: 11:25am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli:
You've got to be kidding me, ask the farmers on ground, do you know there is scarcity of maize as we speak, do you know a kilo of maize cost 88 naira and soya beans 122 naira per kilo.
The beauty of discussions is the variety of opinions..some has given an account of how he followed the program on TV and you are trying to wave if it off...

Because maize and soya beans are costly does it now imply that the GES scheme has failed...its farm input like Fertlizer and seeds the only things that affect the price of farm inputs?

Now did you see the part whr aregbesola was asked what he has done differently to aid private sector develop agriculture in Osun does his answer sound plausible n sustainable?

We need to start viewing issues objectively and criticize constructively,rather than this pull him down syndrome...didn't you see how the other Govs acknowledged the sucess of the scheme and went ahead to list their challenges..

2 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by awodman: 11:28am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli:
trust me a commercial farmer does not even bother himself about subsidized fertiliser, because the fertiliser distributed by the FG is of low quality and is not diverse as there are different fertiliser for different crops.

Why subsidise fertiliser anyway, I won't go into farming just because fertiliser is subsidized, what happens to making the market attractive, how about storage and transportation.

Sis mi, the fertiliser is just about the least problem farmers are facing, they want to sell their produce fast at good prices before they perish.

Subsidy is also the reason why private companies shy away from fertiliser business.

GES was never targeted @ commercial farmers but to help develop the capacity of small scale farmers...its just same way we cry that banks should support SME's not only supporting gigantic projects like Dangote's refineries
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 05, 2013
omonnakoda: This Minister talks a good talk but little action.According to him our bellies are now full of cassava bread and Abakaliki rice
Exactly, too much talk and misplaced priority. Farming is not grammar oh
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 05, 2013
awodman:

GES was never targeted @ commercial farmers but to help develop the capacity of small scale farmers...its just same way we cry that banks should support SME's not only supporting gigantic projects like Dangote's refineries
Bro most commercial farms are medium scale enterprises at most
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 05, 2013
Obiagelli:
Onions,yams and beans are still expensive in the market. Chicken and fish na big man food now.Na to port dey chop leather a.k.a pomo/kanda. grin

Na we wey dey go market everyday go tell you how far!! grin
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 05, 2013
awodman:
The beauty of discussions is the variety of opinions..some has given an account of how he followed the program on TV and you are trying to wave if it off...

Because maize and soya beans are costly does it now imply that the GES scheme has failed...its farm input like Fertlizer and seeds the only things that affect the price of farm inputs?

Now did you see the part whr aregbesola was asked what he has done differently to aid private sector develop agriculture in Osun does his answer sound plausible n sustainable?

We need to start viewing issues objectively and criticize constructively,rather than this pull him down syndrome...didn't you see how the other Govs acknowledged the sucess of the scheme and went ahead to list their challenges..

@red how else do you measure success of the scheme if not price and availability of our major produce? Is it by grammar.

@ green is the joke not on the minister? Osun has empowered its farmers by creating a market for them, more people are obvious taking to farming and do not be surprised when they start exporting produce. Common sense is set the market rolling, make farming lucrative and let others take the left over (export)

1 Like

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Nobody: 11:42am On Sep 05, 2013
berem: Onions,yams and beans are still expensive in the market. Chicken and fish na big man food now.Na to port dey chop leather a.k.a pomo/kanda. grin

Na we wey dey go market everyday go tell you how far!! grin
ABI O. where is the success of his projects
Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by leighcon(m): 12:03pm On Sep 05, 2013
@Awodman, @rainbowman, @Berem, @Obiageli

I equally monitored the summit myself, let me mention that I've always been an Aregbe man(so you could sieve my bias if any) not withstanding let us look at this issue this way;

The objective of government in promoting Agriculture is to create an economy out of its value chain right? Comparing fertilizer input approach and the "ordinary 300,000 eggs" purchased by government per week, which do you think would spread per capita income the more?

The issue Aregbesola was complaining about is the fact that the corrupt system is not allowing the fertilizers get to the right people so the goal is being defeated.

Looking at the "ordinary 300,000 eggs" approach however, you would see that government spending on it would impact on the Chicken farmer, feed miller, transport operator etc providing more jobs along the line. It is just the same way government has to invest in infrastructure to create a booming construction industry. Imagine if it were to be subsidy on equipment, that was being given, do you think the industry would thrive that much.

Point is if market can be guaranteed, then people won't have issues sourcing for independent funding and inputs to take market advantage. At least in that case it is your output that would be patronised and it gives room for every category of players i.e big and small to participate.

3 Likes

Re: Minister, Aregbesola Disagree Over FG’s Fertiliser Policy by Realdeals(m): 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2013
Are you a farmer, Agricultural researchers, commodities trader, consultant, agricultural policy maker or passionate about food? Let your voice be heard in the Agriculture Industry, register on the online Agriculture community at http://www. and explore the wide range of opportunities in the Agric value chain

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News!!! Screen And Confirm Me Or Refund My Money.- Amaechi To AP / Let True Facts Be Told, No Hausa Have Ruled Nigeria. / My Prediction: 2019 State By State Presidential Election Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.