Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,109 members, 7,818,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

How Can I Read The Bible Well? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can I Read The Bible Well? (6991 Views)

Shocking thoughts By One Who Completely Read The Bible / A Must Read: The Dust Raised By John Kumuyi's Wedding! / How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 11:14pm On Sep 07, 2013
I have been having a running battle with myself trying to read my bible everyday but I just can't. sometimes, I pick ut up to read but I don't know where to start. An idea came to me to try reading from Genesis to Revelation in a particular order but that dint work cos it would seem like am reading a textbook or novel.
I really yearn to know more about God especially these days our pastors preach from " their own bible". Thought of using a devotional like Word for Today, donno if it would help.
I'll appreciate sound advice pls.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by CarCam: 11:59pm On Sep 07, 2013
kendraloops:
I have been having a running battle with myself trying to read my bible everyday
but I just can't. sometimes, I pick ut up to read but I don't know where to start.
An idea came to me to try reading from Genesis to Revelation in a particular order but that dint work cos it would seem like am reading a textbook or novel.
I really yearn to know more about God especially these days our pastors preach from " their own bible".
Thought of using a devotional like Word for Today, donno if it would help.

@kendraloops

What bible(s) are you using or reading from, as in what translation(s)?
- (for example, is it King James Version (KJV); New Living Translation (NLT); New International Version (NIV); Bible in Basic English (BBE); American Standard Version (ASV); Young's Literal Translation (YLT) etc)
What other reason(s) apart from "I really yearn to know more about God especially these days our pastors preach from " their own bible"" do you want to read the bible well for?
Why are you interested in reading the bible?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 08, 2013
kendraloops: I have been having a running battle with myself trying to read my bible everyday but I just can't. sometimes, I pick ut up to read but I don't know where to start. An idea came to me to try reading from Genesis to Revelation in a particular order but that dint work cos it would seem like am reading a textbook or novel.
I really yearn to know more about God especially these days our pastors preach from " their own bible". Thought of using a devotional like Word for Today, donno if it would help.

Reading the bible u need to understand similitudes and adumbration, u can go thru my few topics about why u were created
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by iamSi(m): 7:20am On Sep 08, 2013
Waoh!!! _ The MOST REASONABLE THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN SINCE I JOINED NAIRALAND ...
Reading the Bible is soooooo easy _anytime I picked up to read_One Nasty "Sleep" will catch me_well but you don't just start, PRAYER is essential_ try this _Pray First with sincere heart to God_ yet the urge won't come by miracle_ cos someone is always beside you NOT wanting you to read the Letter Sent to you from you father Abroad_

Pick up the Bible and start reading from Genesis_ 3 Chapters in a day_ 1 in the Morning , Afternoon , Before Bedtime_ like dose_ you'll find it easier finishing the whole bible in a year

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by iamSi(m): 7:34am On Sep 08, 2013
leorayvon:

Reading the bible u need to understand similitudes and adumbration, u can go thru my few topics about why u were created

Even this Ur Big English will scare someone away OOOooo

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 08, 2013
iamSi: Waoh!!! _ The MOST REASONABLE THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN SINCE I JOINED NAIRALAND ...
Reading the Bible is soooooo easy _anytime I picked up to read_One Nasty "Sleep" will catch me_well but you don't just start, PRAYER is essential_ try this _Pray First with sincere heart to God_ yet the urge won't come by miracle_ cos someone is always beside you NOT wanting you to read the Letter Sent to you from you father Abroad_

Pick up the Bible and start reading from Genesis_ 3 Chapters in a day_ 1 in the Morning , Afternoon , Before Bedtime_ like dose_ you'll find it easier finishing the whole bible in a year

Reading the bible from gen to rev without understanding spiritual significane is like reading a newspaper, there is the spirit of the word, let the Most holy spirit guide am order your step, the bible is the new testament , the is nothing like old and new testament, the whole bible revloves around Jesus and adam (mainkind),rev 19 vs 10 .....for the testimony (bible or testament) of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 9:11am On Sep 08, 2013
CarCam:

@kendraloops

What bible(s) are you using or reading from, as in what translation(s)?
- (for example, is it King James Version (KJV); New Living Translation (NLT); New International Version (NIV); Bible in Basic English (BBE); American Standard Version (ASV); Young's Literal Translation (YLT) etc)
What other reason(s) apart from "I really yearn to know more about God especially these days our pastors preach from " their own bible"" do you want to read the bible well for?
Why are you interested in reading the bible?
am interested cos I want to know more of God. I want to be able to pray using bible verses. I read d KJV but d grammar too much as in canst, knowest, rejoiceth so much dat I find that I don't understand at all.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 9:17am On Sep 08, 2013
iamSi: Waoh!!! _ The MOST REASONABLE THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN SINCE I JOINED NAIRALAND ...

tnx a lot. I tried doing this several times but I end up skipping parts I find "boring" like histories n all dat. at d end of d day, I find I just give up altogether.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 9:21am On Sep 08, 2013
leorayvon:

Reading the bible from gen to rev without understanding spiritual significane is like reading a newspaper, there is the spirit of the word, let the Most holy spirit guide am order your step, the bible is the new testament , the is nothing like old and new testament, the whole bible revloves around Jesus and adam (mainkind),rev 19 vs 10 .....for the testimony (bible or testament) of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
I get u cos dats ow I used to feel when reading just anyhow. I don't get anything from it at all. each day, I stare at my bible with a guilty conscience but once I pick it, am a loss as to where to open n read.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by CarCam: 9:49am On Sep 08, 2013
kendraloops:
am interested cos I want to know more of God.
I want to be able to pray using bible verses.
I read d KJV but d grammar too much as in canst, knowest, rejoiceth so much dat I find that I don't understand at all.

@kendraloops

Here is what I'll advise, get hold of a Bible in Basic English (BBE) version.

Do a reconnaissance or exploratory read starting from Genesis to Revelation using BBE.

This is going to be a rapid read to gather or become familiar with bible content or information.

Don't get hang-ups, if you don't understand some parts, just continue the readings.

After that two or three BBE cover to cover complete reads, then you're likely ready for switching to using KJV.

With the right/good motive, the Holy Spirit will guide and reveal things to you.

The bible is the manual of the Manufacturer that produced you and Earth

You will get information about God - the Manufacturer, from reading His Manual; the bible

and you would find bible verses information which will help you talk pray about things regarding or concerning the Manufacturer's product(s); you especially.

Hope you find the advice helpful.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by AmiableJay(m): 10:02am On Sep 08, 2013
Pray before you read.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 10:44am On Sep 08, 2013
@carcam, tnx sooo much for ur advice. but reading from Genesis to Revelation 2 to 3 times back to back? I really pray I'll be able to go through with it by God's grace. I hope I don't give up esp wen I get to Numbers n Chronicles o.
I pray God gives me the strength I need.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 10:45am On Sep 08, 2013
AmiableJay: Pray before you read.
tnx. I'll be sure to do that.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by initiate: 10:47am On Sep 08, 2013
Start with James, John, Timothy, Mark, Ephesians then also read Chronicles, Judges Deutoronomy, Genesis. By the time you have a good Bible reading habit get a reading plan and stick to it. Many reading plans available online. Your testimony is on the way bro
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by CarCam: 11:14am On Sep 08, 2013
kendraloops:

@carcam,
tnx sooo much for ur advice. but reading from Genesis to Revelation 2 to 3 times back to back?
I really pray I'll be able to go through with it by God's grace.
I hope I don't give up esp wen I get to Numbers n Chronicles o

I pray God gives me the strength I need.

@kendraloops

Notice that I first asked you questions before offering advice(s)

The recommendations were based on/from first hand experience(s)

It was important, to confirm your motive(s) as this will reveal whether you have a drive or urge to press on reading no matter what

The drive is what will propel you to continue. With the drive you wont slacken up nor relax the reading efforts.

The first cover to cover read is a rapid quick read, which you do not need to first understand anything read but merely reading to become familiarised with the bible.

The 2nd or 3rd cover to cover read is merely a mop up read, to catch up with contents missed and getting better or clearer understanding from the re-reads.

Trust me, you won't give up, as once you start, you'll be looking for opportunities to continue reading especially as you are using a BBE version.

As for ". . . I pray God gives me the strength I need" God's grace is sufficient for you, for His power is made perfect in weakness.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by lazinc(m): 11:23am On Sep 08, 2013
@Op,
I will like to share a brief story with you:

The Bible and the Wicker Coal Basket
One day a grandson asked his grandad, "Papa, I try to read the Bible just like you but I don’t understand it, and when I do understand I forget as soon as I close the Bible. What good does reading the Bible do?" The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and said, "Take this old wicker coal basket down to the river and bring back a basket of water."

The boy did as he was told, even though all the water leaked out before he could get back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, "You will have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the old wicker basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was "impossible to carry water in a basket," and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, "I don’t want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You can do this. You’re just not trying hard enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got far at all. The boy scooped the water and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Papa, it’s useless!" "So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the basket."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time he realized that the basket looked different. Instead of a dirty old wicker coal basket, it was clean.

"Son, that’s what happens when you read the Bible. You might not understand it all or remember everything, but when you read it, it will change you from the inside out."

That is the work of God in our lives - to change us from the inside out and to slowly transform us into the image of His son. (Colossians 3:9-10)

Just keep reading and studying the Bible even though you don't get everything, sooner or later you'll start experiencing that transformation from the inside out which lead to self discovery and reconnection with the Master (God).
I had similar experience before but God changed me and my life has never been the same again. I read the Bible at any slightest opportunity I have and its been so awesome to say the least.

You can look forward to this http://www.carriesheart.com/bible-in-90-days-reading-challenge/

God Bless you.

9 Likes

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by free2ryhme: 11:51am On Sep 08, 2013
kendraloops: I have been having a running battle with myself trying to read my bible everyday but I just can't. sometimes, I pick ut up to read but I don't know where to start. An idea came to me to try reading from Genesis to Revelation in a particular order but that dint work cos it would seem like am reading a textbook or novel.

the same way you read your books but you will need help from the holy spirit for insight or else everything you read will be in total futility

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by ayusco85(m): 11:54am On Sep 08, 2013
Its hard reading the bible everyday like A̶̲̥̅ novel, there is A̶̲̥̅ force that discourages u. Try looking for bible on tape. It wil be easier listening to it chapter by chapter daily.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by jmoore(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2013
You can read the bible on your phone anywhere. Download one today.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by Samabu07(m): 11:58am On Sep 08, 2013
Since you desire to read HIS words, pray to God to strengthen you.
Google daily bible readings and Meditations, and use them everyday.
Start a biblical prayer. For instance, Psalm 23, read the first verse, use it a prayer point.
Midnight prayer should be encouraged too.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by Goshen360(m): 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
@ CarCam, the disciple who Jesus loved.

Well done and abundance of Grace.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by joe4truth: 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
1st you need to be born again.and once you are born again and the spirit of God dwells in you,he will teach you all things.you don't read bible but you study bible.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by anonimi: 12:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
When in church or any other religious gathering, including listening to some pastor on TV or radio, you should read some verses BEFORE and AFTER whatever s/he has quoted to get the right WHOLESOME message and CONTEXT.
That way you EXPAND your KNOWLEDGE and reduce the chances of being VICTIMised
by today's pastors who are mostly not much different from the Pharisees, Sadducees, scribes etc that Christ was always challenging about their HYPOCRISY.
You can also search the Bible online every now & then for your personal edification.

http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=JEREMIAH+9%3A+23-26&ver=kjv

That my people may no longer PERISH for lack of KNOWLEDGE!
Shalom!!!
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by musicwriter(m): 12:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
@post.

As I speak I' am currently reading the book of Psalms. I read 10 chapters ONLY per day. Have read for 10 days and is now on Psalm 100. I will continue from 101 later today.
I can tell you the devil is on the run, running away from me with such a speed his shoes are flying off in the air

1 Like

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
ignorant topics on the front page of naira land today.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kheart(m): 12:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
Na so so useless threads dey make front page on sunday. Smh
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by TUNEX89(m): 1:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
Read from right to left.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by AnOlAd: 1:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
I am having same issue oooo...
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by wolajumoke(m): 1:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
I appreciate you desire and sincerity to understand God's word
Here is my recommendation
(Let your desire to understand and apply God's word to your life be more than reading it frm cover to cover)
When you enjoy God's word, reading it frm cover to cover will come with ease.
The bible is a spiritual book. Understanding it doesn't come easy. Just the way u reach difficult courses without giving up, also be committed to reading your bible until you achieve your goal.
1. Attend a fellowship instead of a church if you are an undergraduate (or attend church on sunday and fellowship other days)
2. Attend training geared towards understanding God word better (sunday school, house fellowship are also helpful)
3. Make friends with people who love God's word
4. buy, buy, buy books that is written on how to understand the bible better
5. Pray for understanding
6. Get a study bible in an easy to understand translation (eg. Life application bible-New living translation)
It is one of the best investent i have ever made.
7. Deliberately create a time for your bible study and stick to it (it not ease but its possible)

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by Knight1(m): 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
I decided to get a diary. started chapter by chapter and wrote memory verses and other things I learnt in each chapter.
by God's grace, I will be finishing the bible this month...on the last book-numbers. didn't start from genesis. that's almost three years After I started.

It's been a good experience.
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 1:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
kheart: Na so so useless threads dey make front page on sunday. Smh
must u comment?
Re: How Can I Read The Bible Well? by kendraloops(f): 1:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Knight1: I decided to get a diary. started chapter by chapter and wrote memory verses and other things I learnt in each chapter.
by God's grace, I will be finishing the bible this month...on the last book-numbers. didn't start from genesis. that's almost three years After I started.

It's been a good experience.
I envy u o, u kept at it till d end. Don't devotionals help too as there are always bible verses at d end of each lesson?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Christians Lie That God Doesnt Condone Killing And Accept Human Sacrifice / Atheist Logic Be Like... / What Is Happening In Churches? This Is Really Bad O.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.