Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,456 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Tell Me What You Think - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tell Me What You Think (2402 Views)

A Short Story : The Proposal. Marriage Palava / Tell Me Any Book Or Software You Need. I Have It!! / Literature Experts, Tell Me The Meaning Of This Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Me What You Think by tyna1(f): 3:04am On Jun 21, 2008
I don't understand what all these fight is for.@topic just asked,"tell me what you think" she didn't specify
that she needed advice for improvement.If everyone likes your artwork then i don't think that it deserves
to be called art. Have you noticed how popular books are been criticise on daily basis,books like Da vinci code,
the secret etc.If anyone in this forum can not stand a negative response the person should not post it here.
I don't think that whatever anyone says here is going to make the poster to give up writing,any feedback is better
than no feedback at all.Please let the war end.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by CH3COO(m): 5:44am On Jun 21, 2008
C'est fini my sister, c'est fini.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Sisikill: 2:56pm On Jun 21, 2008
@ Tyna1
Thank for you calm words. I'm also having a hard time understanding why this became such a big deal Lol. . .I know, I know. Yeah right, huh?

Just to correct one tiny misconception. . .

If anyone in this forum can not stand a negative response the person should not post it here

It was never about not being able to stand negative response, it's about helping someone improve. Simple.

Oh well, like CH3COO said. . .C'est fini my sister, c'est fini.  smiley
Re: Tell Me What You Think by blissfullynaughty: 3:43pm On Jun 21, 2008
Sisikill:

Just to correct one tiny misconception. . .

It was never about not being able to stand negative response, it's about helping someone improve. Simple.

Actually, the misconception seems to be the assumption - by some of you guys - that anyone is obliged or has a duty of sorts to help a writer improve. Nobody is thus obliged. The sooner this is understood, the better we avoid a repeat of this fiasco.

Anyone who is "helping someone to improve" is doing such person a favour and a duty should NOT be imposed on others who choose to leave their coments but have opted not to overtly help the writer to improve.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by wildbubble(f): 4:10pm On Jun 21, 2008
I'm beginning to hate this post, is there a way i can delete it. Okay. it's like i would start a new topic "what do you think about constructive and destructive criticism" maybe you guys can go there and argue all you like,
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Sisikill: 4:15pm On Jun 21, 2008
S E U N:

Actually, the misconception seems to be the assumption - by some of you guys - that anyone is obliged or has a duty of sorts to help a writer improve. Nobody is thus obliged. The sooner this is understood, the better we avoid a repeat of this fiasco.

Anyone who is "helping someone to improve" is doing such person a favour and a duty should NOT be imposed on others who choose to leave their comments but have opted not to overtly help the writer to improve.

I concede.

Reading your post, two words jumped out and helped me put things in perspective. . .DUTY & FAVOUR. Honestly, I've not looked at this from a Duty vs. favour angle. I guess I just saw it as something one would do without much thought into it. . . not really classifying it.

Thank you.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Sisikill: 4:20pm On Jun 21, 2008
wildbubble:

I'm beginning to hate this post, is there a way i can delete it. Okay. it's like i would start a new topic "what do you think about constructive and destructive criticism" maybe you guys can go there and argue all you like,

No, No Bubble please don't feel that way. Yeah, it started off on a rough patch but I think things are smooth now. Honestly, it is not that bad, I'll even go as far as saying it has been a learning experience of sorts.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 21, 2008
Excellent riposte by True Brit. I certainly dont think the poem was good. You may as well just repeat SEX 500 times and we'd have pretty much the same poem.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Tetchiness(f): 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2008
davidylan:

Excellent riposte by True Brit. I certainly don't think the poem was good. You may as well just repeat SEX 500 times and we'd have pretty much the same poem.
lmao! David, you don't change, do you?
Good! wink
Re: Tell Me What You Think by ghasmark: 8:33pm On Jun 21, 2008
man you poem is the bomb. i like it okey. believe in your abilities cos they make the realities of your imaginations. good work.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Cyclone5(m): 12:03am On Jun 22, 2008
I get the meaning of it - Experience is the best teacher. Its a provocative take on it too. But its written in verse and so has to be considered on those merits. It didnt have any rhythm at all and didnt really express any original thoughts. The use of verse served to keep things truncated but didnt really add any poignancy, since there wasnt any imagery employed.

I think you certainly were getting at something but the medium didnt really convey your thoughts. Essay format might have been a better way to go about it.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by chukky76(m): 7:56am On Jun 23, 2008
this is my last bit on this matter.

whether we all like it or not in the literary arts be it art , poetry , prose , sculpture whatever we all leave ourselves open to criticism . negative or positive and artists know when and where to expect them. when an artist goes to the literary section and requests for a critique, she does so becos she believes she is among people of like minds who whether we like it or not know that criticism is only allowed if it constructive becos anything other than that is just hot air, and thats the truth.

i'm not trying to censor anyone or force anyone to give reasons for his comments and maybe i was a bit harsh in trying to prove my point but if your an artist of any kind with the slightest bit of creative talent you would understand that a flat out "i thought it was whack" just doesnt cut it.

THATS THE LITERARY WORLD, THATS THE WAY IT GOES.

when a new movie is shown to the critics from different newspapers or an artists latest painting or an authors latest work , it is usually shown to a select few and each representing body sends out their critic and they go see this work. the next day or wheneve r they give their reviews and these can either make or break the artist. but these reviews are usually well thought through and very opinionated but they are never bland dismissive statements like i thought it was whack.

the only place where ur likely to see that is when its shown to the public and an opinion poll is taken.

so please people forgive me for thinking that wildbubble came to us as peers, as people of similar creative abilities when it actual fact all she wanted was the discontented ramblings of an uninformed public.

CH3COO i dont know you neither do you know me. lets forget the literary world, in a civilized society your comments were dismissive, distasteful, outrightly nasty and rude. it simply was not a nice thing to say. your entitled to your opinion but you shld remember that words are very powerful things and the wrong ones do a lot of damage.

i have no beef with you and i'm sorry for calling you names, it was all for a good cause.

True Brit if you cant see that all i did here in the long run was for the colective good of all then i have nothing to say to you.

wildbuble please dont be mad at this thread becos whether u know it or not we have achieved a victory here today. i can assure you that never again in this literary sections willl a dismissive aatitude be used on any creative person here , except the person just deliberately wants to be a pig head.

i apologize to the literary section for causing these wrangling, it was not my intention , i have a great love for the arts especially literature and i apologize for any disrespect i have shown it.

i'm out
Re: Tell Me What You Think by realdemi(f): 2:33pm On Jun 23, 2008
@chukk76
I totally agree with u on the manner of criticism being appropriate. Correction in love is the best we can do 4 one another especially when one don't particularly agree with the matter on ground but i guess not everyone knows that the manner (attitude) matters.

@poster
Your 'piece' needs a little bit of processing. It's still in a raw state. U've got the flow, though and i would term it lyrics for Rap (song) not a poem. SO if you could get it improved and get someone that raps well, u could have something there.
P.S: I'm not with the sex thingy.
Re: Tell Me What You Think by Sisikill: 3:50pm On Jun 23, 2008
@ chukky76
Thank You.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eight(8) English Words Derived From The Names Of People / Mr Irresistable 18+ / Affordable And Reliable Content Writing Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.