Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,471 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP (4898 Views)

Saraki’s Travail: Buhari’s Connection, Tinubu’s Input - VANGUARD / Nigeria Has The Lowest Debt To GDP Ratio In Africa-Bloomberg / North Contributes Nothing To National Coffers –dokpesi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 12, 2013
Agric: 16m Cattle Contributes 40% Of Sector’s Input To GDP – Bukar Tijjani

Minister of State for Agriculture and Rural Development, Alhaji Bukar Tijjani, has revealed that Nigeria has over 16 million heads of cattle which account for 40% of the sector’s contribution to the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP)

He said, “In the whole of agriculture, livestock accounts for up to 40% and in Nigeria we have about 16 million heads of cattle, 30 to 40 million of both sheep and goats and about 140 million flock of birds,” adding that official production gives about 700 metric tonnes per annum.

The minister made thisw comment while speaking with journalists at the 2nd Animal Science Association of Nigeria (ASAN)/Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (NAIS) joint annual meeting which started in Abuja on Monday with the theme: Industry Standards and Regulations , A Tool for improved Productivity in Animal Husbandry.

He said, “When we look at the livestock industry as a whole, as a subsector we realise that livestock contributes a lot to our GDP.”

Speaking on the four value chains started under the agricultural transformation agenda (ATA), he said: “Under the ATA we want to look at four value chains under the sub sector: these include beef - cattle, including sheep, goats and other small animals; poultry, diary and the hides and skin”

He asserted that Nigeria leather is one of the best in the world but that there is concern as it is eaten as food.

According to him, “We have been putting our heads with farmers and also consumers because in Nigeria we have a need for ‘Kpomo’ (hides/skin) but we have to very quickly make adjustments so that we can get our shoes and bags instead of taking it away by making it into delicacies.”

He added that Nigeria leather was being exported at the detriment of local tanneries and bag and shoe factories.

“So we have to look at this and that is why we have looked at these four value chains. Our thinking is that by 2015, these structures should be on ground and we should be able to move away from total dependency to self sufficiency.

Meanwhile NAIS president, Professor Placid Njoku, in his remarks said the meeting marked second occasion that animal science practitioners and other stakeholders were converging to discuss issues of great relevance to the institute and livestock sub sector.

He said as the statutory professional body for the regulation of animal science practices, the institute inducted 171 newly admitted animal scientists into its fold of full members Registered Animal Scientist (RAS), bringing the total to 1,541 while 514 young animal science graduates will be inducted into the corps of Graduate Animal Scientists (GAS).

Source
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 12, 2013
Wow !! So nice .So when finally Nigeria disintegrates some people can sustain themselves with cattle.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by taharqa: 9:49am On Sep 12, 2013
The 40% figure quoted was not just for Cattle but for Livestock generali ie Cattle, Poultry, Sheep, Goats, Pigs, etc...... Anyways, it is generali an Interesting figure

1 Like

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 12, 2013
and what is the government's contributions to this, a nation that still imports about 80% of its dairy products (milk and cheese). Talk talk minister
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 12, 2013
Seriously we need to drop this kpomo culture. We can develop a major revenue-earning, productive industry from leather.

I wonder how many bags, shoes and belts caould have been produced from all the kpomo eaten on a daily basis across the country.

3 Likes

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 12, 2013
HNosegbe: Seriously we need to drop this kpomo culture. We can develop a major revenue-earning, productive industry from leather.

I wonder how many bags, shoes and belts caould have been produced from all the kpomo eaten on a daily basis across the country.
Where are the shoe and bags making factories, where is the processing plants? The butcher/slaughter house would always sell to wherever the market is, as it stands now kpomo is the only market.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 12, 2013
^^^

Unfortunately so. However one determined individual can buck the trend.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by taharqa: 11:25am On Sep 12, 2013
HNosegbe: Seriously we need to drop this kpomo culture. We can develop a major revenue-earning, productive industry from leather.

I am Guilty, Bros. I admit it. I like dem KPOMOs. Esp those big ones with a lot of meat on one side. Yumming!!.... Though am a Patroitic Nigerian. Am ready to change if d need arises. I think

1 Like

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by taharqa: 11:28am On Sep 12, 2013
Obiagelli:
Where are the shoe and bags making factories, where is the processing plants? The butcher/slaughter house would always sell to wherever the market is, as it stands now kpomo is the only market.
The amount of time you spend on NL talking about things you know very little about, wud have been more than enuf for you to set up at least 1 small Kpomo Processing Factory. Don't you agree, dear??

4 Likes

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by wheelbarrow: 11:40am On Sep 12, 2013
chukwudi44: Wow !! So nice .So when finally Nigeria disintegrates some people can sustain themselves with cattle.

Ibo dullard
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 12, 2013
taharqa: The amount of time you spend on NL talking about things you know very little about, wud have been more than enuf for you to set up at least 1 small Kpomo Processing Factory. Don't you agree, dear??
You know so much to give gej a pass mark, joke on you sir

1 Like

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by adino(m): 11:57am On Sep 12, 2013
taharqa: I am Guilty, Bros. I admit it. I like dem KPOMOs. Esp those big ones with a lot of meat on one side. Yumming!!.... Though am a Patroitic Nigerian. Am ready to change if d need arises. I think

Na wa for you o. Kpomo is an undiscovered multi billion dollar industry. As the world continues desperately in their unsuccessful search for a low cholesterol, low fatty, no side effect delicacy. Kpomo comes to the rescue, Kpomo a zero fatty, zero cholesterol,zero side effect yet dangerously delicious delicacy. Imagine the export prospect. We wiill light up the world with kpomo.
Lord, I want my Kpomp Now.

3 Likes

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by alphaconde(m): 1:04pm On Sep 12, 2013
Lies, there are no genuine records in this country
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Confusionist(m): 1:10pm On Sep 12, 2013
If anybody tries to tamper with my kpomo, thunder will strike at full rate o!!
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by omonnakoda: 1:13pm On Sep 12, 2013
alpha conde: Lies, there are no genuine records in this country
There have been census of cattle in the past several times for over 100 years better find out before talking.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Fazhy: 1:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
So the cattle rearers contribute immensely to Nigeria. NOTED.

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
So there are up to 16m cattle in Nigeria
How many percent does Agriculture contribute to GDP
All these is story.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
Fellow Nairalanders, Una see what GEJ's performance contract and sacking of non-performing ministers has caused?

How this minister take count all cattles, goats, sheep and birds?

Very soon, he will tell us the number of mosquitoes.

GEJ, my Oga u try oh. Ministers are scrambling to show their prowess.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by bethnals: 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
chukwudi44: Wow !! So nice .So when finally Nigeria disintegrates some people can sustain themselves with cattle.

Lol, some people make me laugh. They don't know that food/water are the most important resources in the world. Everything else you see 'na wash'. NO production of food no life no Nairaland no laptop no Iphone no ashewo no nothing. A nation that cannot feed itself will collapse.

Food prices are relatively 'low' globally as when Citizens cant afford food that is when eyes go 'RED' o. Look at those Yoruba and Hausa traders in Ibadan :

There was pandemonium at the popular Bodija Market in Ibadan, Oyo State on Friday when Hausa and Yoruba beans traders clashed.
The traders of the two ethnic stock clashed over disagreement on the sale of beans in the market.

As a result of the confusion, traders and customers hurriedly left the market so as not to be caught in the clash.
Though no life was lost in the clash due to the prompt intervention of security operatives, but properties, including cars, truck conveying beans from the North, pepper, beans, fruit and other market products were destroyed.
It was gathered that tension has heightened in the market after the June 5, 2013 killing of 10 beans traders by Boko Haram members in the North.
After the killing, the Ibadan Foodstuff Traders Association placed an indefinite ban on travelling to the North to purchase beans on its members.
It was gathered that despite the ban, Hausa traders still brought beans from the North to the market and sell at very exorbitant prices.
The situation worsened as a bag of beans has rose from N11,000 to N20,000

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/pandemonium-in-bodija-market-as-yoruba-hausa-traders-clash/

Under one Naija you guys are enjoying cheap food o, No tax no nothing due to hardwork of farmers in the North, When Naija splits you will notice the value of those "iliterate ABOKI" when food prices don raise high cool

7 Likes

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by omonnakoda: 1:26pm On Sep 12, 2013
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by 3ace(m): 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2013
I think I need to consider investing in animal husbandry. We dey consume meat mehn...especially for Lag.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 12, 2013
Billyonaire: Fellow Nairalanders, Una see what GEJ's performance contract and sacking of non-performing ministers has caused?

How this minister take count all cattles, goats, sheep and birds?

Very soon, he will tell us the number of mosquitoes.

GEJ, my Oga u try oh. Ministers are scrambling to show their prowess.

You don't count individual livestock on this scale, you do an aerial survey instead.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by Kingspin(m): 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2013
40% what than stop the states involve from been independent from oil, if the claim figure is to be taken..while the poorest.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by abatajjvii: 2:06pm On Sep 12, 2013
ok am on my way
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2013
The Gods bless our Cows.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by SamAfrik(m): 2:50pm On Sep 12, 2013
Takin records of livestock is done by govt world over. E.g 300 million turkeys are killed in d USA annually. SA also has number of all species on dr dept of agric site. So naija shd not be an exception.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by SamAfrik(m): 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
Figures for poultry prdtn can be obtained frm hatcheries by d govt but records can be difficult for cattle, since its mainly extensive prdtn in Nig. We cant stop eating pomo until d leather industry comes with a competitive price 4 its raw material.
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by qhiwegh(m): 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2013

The leather business is very competitive across the world. Imagine competing against the low prices of leather goods from China. The margins from the leather business may not be higher than simply producing pomo.

How can any Nigerian give up pomo? Are you even a real Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by jpphilips(m): 3:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
Obiagelli: and what is the government's contributions to this, a nation that still imports about 80% of its dairy products (milk and cheese). Talk talk minister

don't mind the bingo, quoting statistics from his arse
Re: 16 Million Cattle Contributes 40% Of Agricultural Sector’s Input To GDP by maclatunji: 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2013
Those who want kpomo as leather should be willing to pay a higher price for it. #QED

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Pledges To Constitute Parallel Govt If 2015 Election Is Rigged / IPOB Members Assemble In Lines As Shield To Protect Nnamdi Kanu's Convoy / Family Apart: Zarah Buhari Sides Her Mom In Throwing Shades To Buhari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.