Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Private Varsities Vcs Ask NANS To Mediate Between FG/ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Varsities Vcs Ask NANS To Mediate Between FG/ASUU (428 Views)

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH / Buhari Approved The Appointment Of New Vcs For The 12 Universities / FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Private Varsities Vcs Ask NANS To Mediate Between FG/ASUU by luvola(m): 6:42am On Sep 13, 2013
http://www.nairacity..com/2013/09/private-varsities-vcs-ask-nans-to.html

Following threats by the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, to shut down private universities over the lingering strike embarked upon by Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Vice Chancellors of private universities, yesterday, charged the students’ body to mediate between ASUU and government to return normalcy to the country’s universities.
The Vice Chancellors opined that there was no need for the threat, since private universities were not owned by government and that their owners didn’t enter into any agreement with the striking university lecturers.

They noted that they also have their wards and relations in public universities, who are affected by the shutdown.
According to Professor Isaac Adeyemi, Vice Chancellor of Bells University of Technology, BELLSTECH, Ota, Ogun State, NANS is made up of matured minds and must, therefore, broker peace between government and the aggrieved lecturers.
He said: “I believe NANS executive is made up of matured individuals. We also have our kids and relations in public universities and we are feeling the pains. Rather than vent their anger on private universities, they should act as mediators to broker peace between government and ASUU. After all, its not a crime to run private universities, because parents are sacrificing so much to send their wards to private universities, where they can acquire qualitative education. I know they said it out of desperation, but I know too well that normalcy will soon return to our public universities.”
Professor Ayodeji Olukoju, Vice Chancellor, Caleb University, Lagos, charged government to avoid wastage in running of the country’s affairs, but to give priority to the funding of education, which is a critical sector of the economy.
Olukoju said: “There was no need for the threat, since private universities’ owners didn’t sign any agreement with ASUU. Education is a free market economy. Its just like a husband and wife’s quarrel which they must settle. NANS should mediate between the warring parties, after all, students have the right to study anywhere they like. Its a matter of choice.”

source : http://www.nairacity..com/2013/09/private-varsities-vcs-ask-nans-to.html
culled from vanguard
Re: Private Varsities Vcs Ask NANS To Mediate Between FG/ASUU by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 13, 2013
I wonder of these NANs have qualitative reasoning at all. It further beg the question of those who are running the NANs, if they are illiterate, Semi-Illiterate or whatever.
How can they say private Unis should join the strike?
Why not go tell other universities abroad that Nigerians are invloved with to also join in the strike.
Nonsense!!!

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Vows To Continue Strike, Blames NUC Boss For Rot In Nigerian Universities / My Personal View About ASUU Strike / Will This Affect Me During Clearance???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.