Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord (16585 Views)

Things You Should Know Before Buying That Casement Windows / Aluminium or Stone coated Tiles? Things you should know before you roof ur house / Banana Island, Lagos: What You Should Know (with Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by homesolutions: 2:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
If you are considering a career as a landlord, there are some things you need to know first. Here are five things you should know before becoming a landlord.

1. Being a Landlord Is Not a 9 to 5 Job

The daily life of a landlord is much more impromptu than structured. It is not the type of life where you get to work at 9:00 A.M, go to lunch at noon and leave at 5:00 P.M. One day you may have one hour of work to do while the next you may have fifteen hours of work.

Your daily obligations can also change on a dime. You may be expecting to go to your property for ten minutes to collect rent, but when you get there, your tenant asks if you can look at a small leak they have.

You have three choices:

*You can disregard their request.
*You can call a plumber or handyman to look at the problem.
*You can spend the time to immediately troubleshoot the problem.

If you decide to address the problem immediately, your ten minute rent collection can quickly become a three hour ordeal.

2. A Landlord Wears Many Hats

It is hard to truly define what a landlord does because a landlord does so many different things. You must be able to adapt to these different roles to have a successful career as a landlord. Here are some examples of the roles a landlord plays:

*Realtor
*Salesperson
*Detective
*Negotiator
*Debt Collector
*Repairman
*Therapist/Counselor
*Supervisor/Watchdog

3. There Are Legal Rules You Must Follow

Many people think, I’ll buy a property, rent it out and make some money; easy enough. If it were that easy then everyone would do it. There are many legal rules you must abide by when you become a landlord.

For example:

*There are things you can and cannot ask when interviewing perspective tenants.
*There are Fair Housing Laws which dictate what is considered discrimination.
*There are certain ways you must handle a tenant’s security deposit.
*There are certain housing safety codes your property must abide by- such as hard wiring smoke detectors or properly handling a lead-based paint hazard.
*There are health codes to adhere to- such as providing working plumbing and freedom from insect or rodent infestation.
*There are also proper and legal ways to evict a tenant.

4. There Is a Learning Curve

You could be a very intelligent person, but if you do not have experience being a landlord, you will inevitably hit some bumps in the road and unfortunately some craters as well. There is only so much you can learn from reading or from speaking with others. This is the type of career where real life experience is often the best teacher.

In landlording, one plus two does not always equal three. For example, your tenant sees a mouse. Logically, you call an exterminator to get rid of the problem. However, when the exterminator comes, they go into the crawl space and notice that you also have extensive mold developing. Your open and shut case of getting rid of a mouse has now become a mouse problem and a mold problem, and probably four times as expensive as you had budgeted for.

Another example of a learning curve is when you select tenants for your property. When you first start out, you go through all the typical steps to screen a tenant. You think you’re doing everything right, but one month later you’re having problems and are forced to evict the tenant.

After you have been a landlord for a while, you rely on the logical steps, but also on your instincts to select the right tenants for your property. You may find that tenants who answer rental ads on web portals are higher quality than those who answer rental ads in the newspaper or that people who view the apartment on weekends or after normal work hours are higher quality than those who view it at 1:00 P.M. on a weekday.

5. It Is Very Rewarding Work

Yes, there are the headaches and the struggles that come with the life of a landlord, but there are also great rewards. Of course there is the monetary reward. There is the reward of personal freedom that comes from being your own boss. There is also the pride that comes from seeing what you have been able to build up and maintain with your hard work.

You will develop personal relationships with your tenants. The fact that you are able to provide a home for another human being is an accomplishment in and of itself. You will see children grow and tenants come and go, but you can take pride in the fact that your property has provided a home for all these people, and will do so for years to come. In addition to providing a home for others, you also have the opportunity to leave a nest egg for your own family.

Courtesy WWW.HOMESINLAGOS.COM
#Real Estate Online Web Portal
#Post/Search Properties In Lagos State
#Buy/Rent/Lease Flat, Land in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by lyfe(m): 4:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
It is hard to truly define what a landlord does because a landlord does so many different things. You must be able to adapt to these different roles to have a successful career as a landlord. Here are some examples of the roles a landlord plays:

Realtor
Salesperson
Detective
Negotiator
Debt Collector
Repairman
Therapist/Counselor
Supervisor/Watchdog

So true! My landlord was all above, even a sex therapist to that Corper chic from Edo who chose to pay her rent with her body, while we hustled hard to avoid world war III from Mr debt collector.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by homesteady(m): 4:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
How will a landlord deal with tenants that have strong Juju?

4 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Kelvindwaplord(m): 4:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nice tips , but one question to you thread owner , are u a landlord?
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
dont have female daughter... or even if u get female daughter , dont and never allow her live in d same compound.... cox d rate at which landlord's pikin dey carry belle... hmmmmm.....
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 16, 2013
6. don't just collect rent. effect repairs.
7. a new year doesn't mean 100% increase in rent. be lenient
8. not everyone will be a tenant forever.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by toyfat: 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
So landlord manual don dey..na wa oo

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Exponental(m): 4:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
Irrelevant! As long as d cash to build or buy is available. I dont need any story. Caretakers will manage d house while I await bank alerts.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
.....IN NIGERIA WHERE EVERYONE WANTS EVERYTHING FREE
BEING A LANDLORD CAN MAKE U GO BONKERS
ESP WHEN U HOUSE POOR PEOPLE
THEY EXPECT U 2 DO EVERYTIHNG 4 THEM WHILE THEY
LIVE IN UR HOUSE 4 FREE

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by whisper88(m): 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
How can i b an OIL-land lord
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by moscobabs(m): 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
if sey I don pay my 2 years rent outstanding now..I will have give my landlord this manual cos he needs to see this!!!
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
D almighty landlord brochure
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
Babzilla: .....IN NIGERIA WHERE EVERYONE WANTS EVERYTHING FREE
BEING A LANDLORD CAN MAKE U GO BONKERS
ESP WHEN U HOUSE POOR PEOPLE
THEY EXPECT U 2 DO EVERYTIHNG 4 THEM WHILE THEY
LIVE IN UR HOUSE 4 FREE

Dont u know ur rights.

Hm! Know when to use dem,
an establishment of trust was built on a signed contract that expires as at when due. Dont let anyone take u n ur money for a ride oh! Lol!

if a hobo seems better to house than those types of ppl. Kick them out as at when due; I assure u, u wont go bonkers. smiley

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by dobosky(m): 4:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
Poster u tried. Been a landloard in Abuja always give me nightmare cos rent will expire they will not pay you on time. I do struggle to extreme lent to collect my money. Yes its rewarding but its not easy as well.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Bryancrox(m): 4:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nairaland should open university so dat interested student should be reading dis tins as course o...Hw many landlord 4 naija read dis manual?
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by bknight: 4:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
You've got to be tough minded, else tenants will ride you undecided

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Summersland(m): 5:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
All these for house kilode.......Anyway,with God time its very simple shaaaa
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Shugarlipz(f): 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
cheesy
toyfat: So landlord manual don dey..na wa oo
LMA0
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2013
You must be God fearing and discipline, else you'll bleep your tenant's daughters. grin
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by UyiIredia(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
bknight: You've got to be tough minded, else tenants will ride you undecided

Very true. I've personally had to grow out of the age/respect mentality. Inasmuch as it is true one shpd respect one elders, that must be on the basis of behaviour not not necessarily age. Attimes tenants older tban me have misbehaved or impinged on my interests and betwwen me and my sis, we call them to order.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
Been a landlord is cool, and could be disastrous at the same time. Take for instance, the case of myself and my neighbor Mr. Bantefa, we both occupy Abisogun Leigh Close, in Ijesha-tedo, Ajah, Lagos.

Mr. Bantefa, owns a 6 bedroom duplex sitting on two plots of land, a large swimming pool built on half a plot, built in 2008 back then when PHCN was still in the total control of Nigerian marketing managers who are only provided targets to deliver, and who pockets whatever is left. Fast-forward to today, everything seemed dire, PHCN is totally private now, and broke Mr. Bantefa is going through a deal of painful challenges to maintain the property. From property taxes, security fees, to repairs, to yearly maintenance, which my neighbor claims gulped roughly 250k o more per year, his property is now a complete liability, and a source of sadness. And oops, I almost forgot, he got robbed twice because he lives alone. They wouldnt dare come to my own crib, not with those Erukus flanking the area.

Meaning: On his property which, he loses 250k yearly

Well, compared with myself. A well-learned property-expert, with just a plot. I slapped down, six units of 2 bedroom flats. I share upstairs with a tenant, and recently got my lawyer to serve them notice that my rent has jumped up from 250k to 300k per year. Thats umm, 1.5million I would be pocketing in. With the tenants, we split PHCN bills, security, LAWMA, etc....Sometimes, I smartly even shelf my wahala on their neck, while they arent aware....hey, im the friggen landlord, and its my house! Anyways, Im living decently, the house is not a pain, and some bunch of scarey looking Yahoo! boys living in the compound are already about to pack-out, meaning I'd be letting another flat soon, pocketing 2 years rent, plus commission and agreement..

Meaning: On my property, I make 1.5million yearly. Meaning, in about 12 years, I'd have made back what I poured on the property minus depreciation.

Seriously, been a landlord is cool. One of the smartest investment ever, depending your capital. I have a client whose properties I manage, and whenever Alhaji is broke, we just have to open the files for pending rentals, and with his 16 properties within Lagos alone, there is always some handful of millions about to be paid by tenants.

Nothing is more empowering. Your property is your temple. You decide what lives on it, that's why we have what they call professional estate agents and managers like me....and thats why we have something called "Agreements." Properties investment has been in existence like forever, it wont be replaced as according to Marslow, the world renowned psychologist who listed the MOST PRESSING HUMAN NEED HIERARCHY....After FOOD, SHELTER is NEXT.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Seun(m): 6:08pm On Sep 16, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Very true. I've personally had to grow out of the age/respect mentality. Inasmuch as it is true one shpd respect one elders, that must be on the basis of behaviour not not necessarily age. Attimes tenants older tban me have misbehaved or impinged on my interests and betwwen me and my sis, we call them to order.
Wow, you're a landlord. How did that happen?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by xynerise: 6:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
What kind of landlord if I may ask?

Landlord of a rented apartment or landlord of a personal home?
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Acidosis(m): 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Seun: Wow, you're a landlord. How did that happen?

One can be a Landlord by inheritance, right?

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by ichidodo: 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
Landlord is the most easiest job in the world.The most important aspects are Location, location and location.Talkin from experience.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by ichidodo: 7:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
aasog1: Been a landlord is cool, and could be disastrous at the same time. Take for instance, the case of myself and my neighbor Mr. Bantefa, we both occupy Abisogun Leigh Close, in Ijesha-tedo, Ajah, Lagos.

Mr. Bantefa, owns a 6 bedroom duplex sitting on two plots of land, a large swimming pool built on half a plot, built in 2008 back then when PHCN was still in the total control of Nigerian marketing managers who are only provided targets to deliver, and who pockets whatever is left. Fast-forward to today, everything seemed dire, PHCN is totally private now, and broke Mr. Bantefa is going through a deal of painful challenges to maintain the property. From property taxes, security fees, to repairs, to yearly maintenance, which my neighbor claims gulped roughly 250k o more per year, his property is now a complete liability, and a source of sadness. And oops, I almost forgot, he got robbed twice because he lives alone. They wouldnt dare come to my own crib, not with those Erukus flanking the area.

Well, compared with myself. A well-learned property-expert, with just a plot. I slapped down, six units of 2 bedroom flats. I share upstairs with a tenant, and recently got my lawyer to serve them notice that my rent has jumped up from 250k to 300k per year. Thats umm, 1.5million I would be pocketing in. With the tenants, we split PHCN bills, security, LAWMA, etc....Sometimes, I smartly even shelf my wahala on their neck, while they arent aware....hey, im the friggen landlord, and its my house! Anyways, Im living decently, the house is not a pain, and some bunch of scarey looking Yahoo! boys living in the compound are already about to pack-out, meaning I'd be letting another flat soon, pocketing 2 years rent, plus commission and agreement..

Meaning: On my property, I make 1.5million yearly. Meaning, in about 12 years, I'd have made back what I poured on the property minus depreciation.

Seriously, been a landlord is cool. One of the smartest investment ever, depending your capital. I have a client whose properties I manage, and whenever Alhaji is broke, we just have to open the files for pending rentals, and with his 16 properties within Lagos alone, there is always some handful of millions about to be paid by tenants.

Nothing is more empowering. Your property is your temple. You decide what lives on it, that's why we have what they call professional estate agents and managers like me....and thats why we have something called "Agreements." Properties investment has been in existence like forever, it wont be replaced as according to Marslow, the world renowned psychologist who listed the MOST PRESSING HUMAN NEED HIERARCHY....After FOOD, SHELTER is NEXT.
Show off.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by ichidodo: 7:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
aasog1: Been a landlord is cool, and could be disastrous at the same time. Take for instance, the case of myself and my neighbor Mr. Bantefa, we both occupy Abisogun Leigh Close, in Ijesha-tedo, Ajah, Lagos.

Show off.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by creativemusic: 7:11pm On Sep 16, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by Thebrightest(m): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
I am suppose to type END TIME THINGS, but i wont.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by UyiIredia(m): 7:39pm On Sep 16, 2013
Seun: Wow, you're a landlord. How did that happen?

*laughs* I'm not. My Dad suffers partial stroke so I manage his properties for him. That said, building a house with tenancy is very good, if my Dad didn't do it, I might have been outta university and working a job.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by UyiIredia(m): 7:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
ichidodo: Show off.

Au contraire. It is informative.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Landlord by BigGold(m): 7:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
I never know that being a landlord is a career. I beg which university dey run that course make I go write JAMB to study am, it seems to be a lucrative profession.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

NEW PROJECT GOING ON NOW! 4 SEMI DETACHED AND 5 BEDROOM FULLY DETACHED duplexes / Omo Onile In Lagos State: Share Your Experiences / How To Calculate Or Estimate Longspan Aluminium Roofing Sheets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.