Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term (1233 Views)

Buhari May Spend One Term In Office, ‘president Already Has A Successor In Mind’ / Buhari's One-term Pledge Tears APC Leaders Apart / Buhari Didn’t Promise To End Insurgency In Two Months – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by LMAyedun(m): 2:05am On Sep 17, 2013
President makes concessions to end PDP crises

Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi is to be recalled from suspension, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) source told The Nation yesterday.

This is one of the four concessions made by President Goodluck Jonathan to the Group of Seven governors (G7) at a meeting on Sunday.

But the President was said to have been adamant on 2015, insisting that he never said he would not seek re-election.

He claimed that what he said in Ethiopia was that he would not be a party to tenure elongation.

Despite the concessions, the G-7 governors and the Kawu Baraje-led New PDP are taking their case to the House of Representatives.

They want to brief the leadership of the House on what led to the party’s factionalisation.

According to sources, who spoke on the peace talks at the Presidential Villa, the meeting was “conciliatory”.

One of the sources said: “For the first time, the meeting was conciliatory; there was no tension on all issues, unlike the case at the previous sessions.”

The President came to the meeting with Vice-President Namadi Sambo; the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the PDP, Chief Tony Anenih, the Chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum, Obong Godswill Akpabio; the governors of Kogi and Cross River states, Capt Idris Wada and Liyel Imoke.

On the side of the G-7 were the governors of Adamawa, Niger, Rivers, Kwara, Sokoto, Jigawa and Kano

“There were preliminary talks on why it is important to keep the party united. The President said his disposition was that ‘whatever is going on is a family fight which could be amicably resolved’. He spoke as a leader with national interest above all other considerations.

“Everyone also spoke on the fact that the issues at stake could be well-managed,” the source said.

All issues were reportedly treated one after the other. The President and his team made the following concessions:

•immediate lifting of the suspension of Governor Rotimi Amaechi by the Bamanga Tukur-led PDP;

•return of party structures to all the governors, including those of Rivers and Adamawa states;

•raising a committee to visit Rivers State, like it was the case with Adamawa State, to build consensus and restore party structure to the governor; and the

•the governors and party leaders should leave Jonathan to decide Tukur’s fate. One of the aggrived governors’ conditions for peace is Tukur’s removal

On the 2015 poll, another source quoted the President as saying: ‘I did not give anybody any commitment that I won’t seek re-election.”

The source said: “Jonathan clarified that what he said in Ethiopia was that as a democratic leader, he would not elongate his tenure under any guise. He said since the crisis in the party was basically on 2015, it is a matter that can be addressed later.

“His body language suggested that he won’t compromise his ambition to contest in 2015. But it was not a major issue yet at the peace talks.”

Responding to a question on the feasibility of the concessions, another source said: “The President appeared willing, except that when it came to the crisis in Rivers PDP, he said they were ready to return the executives of the party but they needed to set up a committee that will go to the state to reunite all the stakeholders.

“The President was, however, straightforward on the recall of Amaechi from suspension when he said his team could ‘announce the lifting of the suspension right away’”

Sensing the caveat on Rivers PDP, Amaechi simply said: “Don’t lift my suspension, until everything is settled,” it was learnt.

On Tukur, the source added, the President did not make any categorical statement or commitment on Tukur, although he admitted that there was a sign of weakness on some issues on the part of Tukur.

The aggrieved governors reportedly said Jonathan could bring anyone to lead the party, except Tukur. Amaechi is expected to withdraw all cases in court, respect the Presidency and party leadership. The media “war” should stop because the crisis is heating up the polity and inflammatory comments capable of dividing the country should be avoided, the meeting was said to have agreed.

It was learnt that when the 2015 agenda came up, the President took on the Governor of Niger State, Dr. Babangida Aliyu.

A source said he pointedly accused Aliyu of misleading Nigerians that he said he would not seek a second term in office.

The source added: “At a stage, it became a matter between Jonathan and Aliyu at the meeting because the President felt bad that the governor had been hammering on one term in office for him.

“There was silence when the two leaders tried to sort themselves out on the 2015 thing.

“But the governor countered the President by saying he made the commitment at Ethiopia, United States, Expanded National Caucus Meeting and in the agreement he signed with PDP governors.

“He said there was nothing bad in asking the President to stand by his words to allow power shift to the North in 2015.

“The President said he did not at any time promise to spend one term in office.”

The source quoted the President as saying” “I did not give anybody any commitment that I won’t seek re-election.”

The source said: “Jonathan clarified that what he said in Ethiopia was that as a democratic leader, he would not elongate his tenure under any guise.

“The President also reportedly told the session that on the events referred to by Babangida, there then an ongoing debate on a single term of six years for Nigeria’s President. And he told his audience that he would not seek a second term or elongate his tenure under any guise.

“Jonathan said since the crisis in the party was basically on 2015, it is a matter that can be addressed later.

“His body language suggested that he won’t compromise his ambition to contest in 2015. But it was not a major issue yet at the peace talks.”

The source added: “At a stage, Governors Godswill Akpabio, Liyel Imoke and Idris Wada raised their voices against Aliyu, saying: ‘You cannot stampede the President to spend one term in office, you cannot do that.”

The Niger State Governor, however, inisted: “2015 is central to whatever compromise the parties would reach and demanded that it should be properly addressed.

“The issue might be addressed on October 7 when the groups reconvene. When the G-7 governors came out, they held a brief discussion and vowed to pursue one term for Jonathan.”

The session was, however, not without its drama. The communiqué was drafted by Governor Liyel Imoke, who was part of the Jonathan team.

The Jonathan team tried to sum up the session that the two warring groups had almost “resolved the issues”, Amaechi wanted the mood captured in a manner suggesting that “the two sides are still talking”.

But Imoke went ahead to draft the communiqué and he gave the hand written copy to Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State to read.

It was learnt that it was at the point of drafting the communiqué that Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso got to the meeting.

Although Amaechi sustained his point but, Kwankwaso could not settle down enough to grasp the issue at stake.

Only the state-owned Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) was allowed to record the reading of the communiqué.

Notwithstanding the outcome of the peace talks, the G-7 and the Baraje faction of PDP met behind closed doors yesterday.

A source in the faction said: “The G-7 governors and the National Chairman of the New PDP, Alhaji Kawu Baraje, may visit the leadership of the House of Representatives in Abuja today.

“They want to brief members on the development in PDP. We hope the House leadership will receive them.”

A principal officer of the House, who spoke with our correspondent last night, said: “We have been told that they want to visit us.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/jonathan-to-governors-i-didnt-promise-one-term/

Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Nobody: 2:22am On Sep 17, 2013
All this galibantic and mute medival cerrebular homo sapiens decoded as governors should stop this unscrupulus n sanisodial lamidorial blames on d president, if na dem they go gree? Haba!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by rooftech: 2:48am On Sep 17, 2013
people decieving people
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by udohjaphet: 2:52am On Sep 17, 2013
well all i know is dat President will contest 2015 and he will win cos he owns INEC & SECURITY who will conduct the election & also by looking of massive development in all areas except employment, his works can speak 4 him in 2015. Am giving my personal view any1 can give his or her own.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by mermaidkingdom: 5:46am On Sep 17, 2013
Good work speak for its self
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by dayokanu(m): 5:57am On Sep 17, 2013
Retardeen cant even remember what he promised again in 2011. What cluelessness!!!

I am sure if they ask him for the 36 airports he promised in every state, He would claim he only meant "pot of fish pepper soup" and Kai-kai

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by manmade(m): 6:27am On Sep 17, 2013
dayokanu: Retardeen called DAY0KANU cant even remember what he posted 2 days ago. What cluelessness!!!

I am sure if they ask him to spell his name , He wouldn't get it right because his brain is filled with "pot of fish pepper soup" and Kai-kai
hmmm, the truth is coming forth from the horse's mouth.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Kairoseki77: 6:49am On Sep 17, 2013
This man has already been President for four and a half years. He will be in office for a total of ten years if he survives till 2019.

The only accomplishment till date is a run down airport that doesn't measure up to a Thai bus terminal and I am supposed to hail this man?

Thank god for my governor, or I would willingly go hug a transformer to escape this shame.

By 2050, we will have over 300 million people in small Nigeria. If the only thing we have to show by then is a few more airports and 3MW of electricity, our children will kill us.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by kossylator: 7:00am On Sep 17, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:
President makes concessions to end PDP crises

Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi is to be recalled from suspension, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) source told The Nation yesterday.

This is one of the four concessions made by President Goodluck Jonathan to the Group of Seven governors (G7) at a meeting on Sunday.

But the President was said to have been adamant on 2015, insisting that he never said he would not seek re-election.

He claimed that what he said in Ethiopia was that he would not be a party to tenure elongation.

Despite the concessions, the G-7 governors and the Kawu Baraje-led New PDP are taking their case to the House of Representatives.

They want to brief the leadership of the House on what led to the party’s factionalisation.

According to sources, who spoke on the peace talks at the Presidential Villa, the meeting was “conciliatory”.

One of the sources said: “For the first time, the meeting was conciliatory; there was no tension on all issues, unlike the case at the previous sessions.”

The President came to the meeting with Vice-President Namadi Sambo; the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the PDP, Chief Tony Anenih, the Chairman of the PDP Governors’ Forum, Obong Godswill Akpabio; the governors of Kogi and Cross River states, Capt Idris Wada and Liyel Imoke.

On the side of the G-7 were the governors of Adamawa, Niger, Rivers, Kwara, Sokoto, Jigawa and Kano

“There were preliminary talks on why it is important to keep the party united. The President said his disposition was that ‘whatever is going on is a family fight which could be amicably resolved’. He spoke as a leader with national interest above all other considerations.

“Everyone also spoke on the fact that the issues at stake could be well-managed,” the source said.

All issues were reportedly treated one after the other. The President and his team made the following concessions:

•immediate lifting of the suspension of Governor Rotimi Amaechi by the Bamanga Tukur-led PDP;

•return of party structures to all the governors, including those of Rivers and Adamawa states;

•raising a committee to visit Rivers State, like it was the case with Adamawa State, to build consensus and restore party structure to the governor; and the

•the governors and party leaders should leave Jonathan to decide Tukur’s fate. One of the aggrived governors’ conditions for peace is Tukur’s removal

On the 2015 poll, another source quoted the President as saying: ‘I did not give anybody any commitment that I won’t seek re-election.”

The source said: “Jonathan clarified that what he said in Ethiopia was that as a democratic leader, he would not elongate his tenure under any guise. He said since the crisis in the party was basically on 2015, it is a matter that can be addressed later.

Responding to a question on the feasibility of the concessions, another source said: “The President appeared willing, except that when it came to the crisis in Rivers PDP, he said they were ready to return the executives of the party but they needed to set up a committee that will go to the state to reunite all the stakeholders.

“The President was, however, straightforward on the recall of Amaechi from suspension when he said his team could ‘announce the lifting of the suspension right away’”

Sensing the caveat on Rivers PDP, Amaechi simply said: “Don’t lift my suspension, until everything is settled,” it was learnt.

On Tukur, the source added, the President did not make any categorical statement or commitment on Tukur, although he admitted that there was a sign of weakness on some issues on the part of Tukur.

The aggrieved governors reportedly said Jonathan could bring anyone to lead the party, except Tukur. Amaechi is expected to withdraw all cases in court, respect the Presidency and party leadership. The media “war” should stop because the crisis is heating up the polity and inflammatory comments capable of dividing the country should be avoided, the meeting was said to have agreed.

It was learnt that when the 2015 agenda came up, the President took on the Governor of Niger State, Dr. Babangida Aliyu.

A source said he pointedly accused Aliyu of misleading Nigerians that he said he would not seek a second term in office.

The source added: “At a stage, it became a matter between Jonathan and Aliyu at the meeting because the President felt bad that the governor had been hammering on one term in office for him.

“There was silence when the two leaders tried to sort themselves out on the 2015 thing.

“But the governor countered the President by saying he made the commitment at Ethiopia, United States, Expanded National Caucus Meeting and in the agreement he signed with PDP governors.

“He said there was nothing bad in asking the President to stand by his words to allow power shift to the North in 2015.

“The President said he did not at any time promise to spend one term in office.”

The source quoted the President as saying” “I did not give anybody any commitment that I won’t seek re-election.”

The source said: “Jonathan clarified that what he said in Ethiopia was that as a democratic leader, he would not elongate his tenure under any guise.

“The President also reportedly told the session that on the events referred to by Babangida, there then an ongoing debate on a single term of six years for Nigeria’s President. And he told his audience that he would not seek a second term or elongate his tenure under any guise.

“Jonathan said since the crisis in the party was basically on 2015, it is a matter that can be addressed later.

The source added: “At a stage, Governors Godswill Akpabio, Liyel Imoke and Idris Wada raised their voices against Aliyu, saying: ‘You cannot stampede the President to spend one term in office, you cannot do that.”

The Niger State Governor, however, inisted: “2015 is central to whatever compromise the parties would reach and demanded that it should be properly addressed.

“The issue might be addressed on October 7 when the groups reconvene. When the G-7 governors came out, they held a brief discussion and vowed to pursue one term for Jonathan.”

The session was, however, not without its drama. The communiqué was drafted by Governor Liyel Imoke, who was part of the Jonathan team.

The Jonathan team tried to sum up the session that the two warring groups had almost “resolved the issues”, Amaechi wanted the mood captured in a manner suggesting that “the two sides are still talking”.

But Imoke went ahead to draft the communiqué and he gave the hand written copy to Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State to read.

It was learnt that it was at the point of drafting the communiqué that Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso got to the meeting.

Although Amaechi sustained his point but, Kwankwaso could not settle down enough to grasp the issue at stake.

Only the state-owned Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) was allowed to record the reading of the communiqué.

Notwithstanding the outcome of the peace talks, the G-7 and the Baraje faction of PDP met behind closed doors yesterday.

A source in the faction said: “The G-7 governors and the National Chairman of the New PDP, Alhaji Kawu Baraje, may visit the leadership of the House of Representatives in Abuja today.

“They want to brief members on the development in PDP. We hope the House leadership will receive them.”

A principal officer of the House, who spoke with our correspondent last night, said: “We have been told that they want to visit us.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/jonathan-to-governors-i-didnt-promise-one-term/
Wether u said it or not,d issue is dat u hv failed NigerianZ,so u hv 2 give way 4 anoda pesÑ
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by brighter: 7:08am On Sep 17, 2013
Must he stoop this low just to hold unto power. Last time he boldly denied on national tv that he was never a part of PDP meeting that agreed on power rotation even when the meeting register proved otherwise.

Na wa for all these power hungry politicians
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Mubby4luv(m): 7:09am On Sep 17, 2013
Pdp is a Failure.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Segadem(m): 7:21am On Sep 17, 2013
Though you may not promise the Gov. but you promise Nigerians one term in office.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by demelza: 7:25am On Sep 17, 2013
There is nothing wrong in being a man of your words. Whats wrong in him admitting to what we all know he said? No one is telling him not to compete in the next elections, he has a right to. Just quit speaking from both sides of the mouth.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 17, 2013
@kossylator, must u quote d whole topic to make ur 'pointless contribution'.
@topic,
The bottom line remains that GEJ 2015 ambition is not negotiable.
Less i forget we #supporters of GEJ# i mean #team fresh air# wants Bamanga retained as d PDP chairman.
No compromise on these two.
Fresh Air till 2019.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by tatosh: 7:39am On Sep 17, 2013
These present flock of leaders are the worst the nation has ever seen, they've spent the lasy 2 weeks going to Abuja everyday.
I bet if it was an arab country they will be stoned everywhere they go but instead they're even being respected here..hmm.
Little advice: Vote APC in 2015, the party that gives oppurtunities to the kind of Nigerians you want to see in leadership positions
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by kedukc(m): 8:01am On Sep 17, 2013
It's OK. Fresh air 2015
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by LMAyedun(m): 8:16am On Sep 17, 2013
What I don't get is why Gov. Babangida Aliyu is so so keen & hammering on the 'One term' promised by GEJ in 2011... I guess he is interested in the presidency or interested in the V.P slot
He is also a politician and he should knw by now that the 'promise and fail syndrome' is not new in Nigeria politics.

If I'm right, Gov. Fashola of Lagos state also promised a single term in 2007 but his good performance cleared the way for a re-election.

Let GEJ performance speak for him.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Femolacaster(m): 8:17am On Sep 17, 2013
dvdon: All this galibantic and mute medival cerrebular homo sapiens decoded as governors should stop this unscrupulus n sanisodial lamidorial blames on d president, if na dem they go gree? Haba!
Patrick Obahiagbon's brother.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by premlove(m): 8:26am On Sep 17, 2013
dvdon: All this galibantic and mute medival cerrebular homo sapiens decoded as governors should stop this unscrupulus n sanisodial lamidorial blames on d president, if na dem they go gree? Haba!
so what are you saying
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Danhumprey: 8:28am On Sep 17, 2013
I had to quicky grab my dictionary to cross-check the meaning of most of these words you wrote there,but I couldn't find. Guy,u be genius. cheesy
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Wsdm: 8:28am On Sep 17, 2013
The only hope for Nigerians to oust the killing party from power is to allow Jonathan to fly the PDP'S flag. Then we shall see the credibility he has to win in the general election. He should not contemplate rigging because Nigerians are wiser.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Enegito: 8:29am On Sep 17, 2013
Kairoseki77: This man has already been President for four and a half years. He will be in office for a total of ten years if he survives till 2019.

The only accomplishment till date is a run down airport that doesn't measure up to a Thai bus terminal and I am supposed to hail this man?

Thank god for my governor, or I would willingly go hug a transformer to escape this shame.

By 2050, we will have over 300 million people in small Nigeria. If the only thing we have to show by then is a few more airports and 3MW of electricity, our children will kill us.
what did u northern leaders do with there 35years of ruling nigeria
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Danhumprey: 8:30am On Sep 17, 2013
dayokanu: Retardeen cant even remember what he promised again in 2011. What cluelessness!!!

I am sure if they ask him for the 36 airports he promised in every state, He would claim he only meant "pot of fish pepper soup" and Kai-kai
LWKMD........
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Danhumprey: 8:34am On Sep 17, 2013
kossylator: Wether u said it or not,d issue is dat u hv failed NigerianZ,so u hv 2 give way 4 anoda pesÑ
Bro,you are welcome back from your journey! After quoting the whole post just to type roughly 5 lines as comment. Seriously,what were you thinking quoting the whole post?
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Ibangap(m): 8:41am On Sep 17, 2013
dayokanu: Retardeen cant even remember what he promised again in 2011. What cluelessness!!!

This post doesn't make any sense at all.

@Topic, i wonder y president Goodluck will allow 7 selfish Governors to hold him and his administration to ransom jus to drive home their selfish demands. I knw he's tryin to be democratic, but being democratic is not bending to every wind dat every selfish individual blows ur way, as d commander-in-chief u should have ur stance on issues like dis.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Kairoseki77: 8:43am On Sep 17, 2013
Enegito: what did u northern leaders do with there 35years of ruling nigeria

I am a southerner and hope Fashola becomes President.
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by abdul23(m): 8:53am On Sep 17, 2013
tatosh: These present flock of leaders are the worst the nation has ever seen, they've spent the lasy 2 weeks going to Abuja everyday.
I bet if it was an arab country they will be stoned everywhere they go but instead they're even being respected here..hmm.
Little advice: Vote APC in 2015, the party that gives oppurtunities to the kind of Nigerians you want to see in leadership positions
APC?.are u serious?
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by Candyrain(m): 9:03am On Sep 17, 2013
kossylator: Wether u said it or not,d issue is dat u hv failed NigerianZ,so u hv 2 give way 4 anoda pesÑ

Must you quote the entire article to give this few comments...
Re: Jonathan To Governors: I Didn’t Promise One Term by manmade(m): 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
Segadem: Though you may not promise the Gov. but you promise Nigerians one term in office.
Pls Prove ur assertion instead of listening to beer parlour rumours .

(1) (Reply)

T.a Orji Inspecting The New Main Market / Two Rebel Governors Back To Pdp- Ahmed Gulak / Masters Energy Industrial City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.