Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,377 members, 7,815,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat (10380 Views)

Why You Shouldn't Use Your Phone In A Toilet Again / 2016 In Mobile : Top 4 Smartphones And Events To Watch Out For / Pictures Of Made Osun State Phones And Tablets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by bishopjoe02(m): 5:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
Some touchscreens on tablet computers and smartphones carry many more germs than a toilet seat, say researchers.
The bacteria are being left behind as users swipe and poke the screens of devices such as Apple iPads and Samsung Galaxy tablets without washing their hands.

One tablet tested by consumer group Which? had a count of 600 units per swab of the staphylococcus aureus bacteria, which can create toxins that cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

A typical toilet seat has a staphylococcus aureus count of less than 20.

Which? also found enterobacteria, which can include strains of infections such as E. coli and salmonella.

High-risk levels, more than 1,000 units of enterobacteria per swab, were found on eight of the 30 tablets tested and seven of the 30 smartphones.

The worst tablet had a count of 15,000 units per swab, with four phones and five keyboards also registering this level.

Toilet seats typically had less than ten units per swab of enterobacteria.

Firms like Apple actively discourage users from using detergents on their touchscreens because they can damage them.

The presence of the germs is simply a reflection of the fact that touchscreen users failed to wash their hands properly, while few people bother to clean the devices and keyboards.

An expert microbiologist consulted by Which? nod that if the high levels of bacteria were found on the hands of anyone working in the food industry, they would require immediate re-training in basic hygiene.

Which? editor Richard Headland, said: 'It’s shocking that a smartphone or tablet can harbour more germs than a toilet seat. Gadgets should be cleaned regularly and thoroughly to avoid germs that could lead to illness.'

He said the best method is to use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth, rather than detergents. Apple warns people not to use alcohol-based cleaners on iPads

CULLED: www.dailymail.co.uk
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by BRAINZBox(m): 5:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
Wat!!!!....Nonsense..nt u d o.p,bt were ever u got dis crap..Dey shuld go nd swipe toilet seats everyday lik dey do deir smartphones if dey will nt end up six feet down d ground...

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by W3xy1(m): 6:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
wonders
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Udoks(m): 6:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Rhema!

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by wellmax(m): 6:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
So what am i suppose to do?
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
wellmax: So what am i suppose to do?
Ask Wilfred
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Godbest(m): 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
This is to show that technology does more harm than good...

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Chloekim(m): 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
its simple clean your smartphone with clean damp cloth
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by theripper3: 6:25pm On Sep 17, 2013
"Fomites"
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by komek(m): 6:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
Na lie joor. Wetin person no go hear sef,
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by xynerise: 6:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
Let the whites provide condom gloves for us then
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by xplizit(m): 6:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
ABEG,...I WAN TROWAY MY TABS AND "SMART" FONES! WHO WANT?

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Rexphobia(m): 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
Wetin we no go hear?

Make we dey wear surgical gloves before handling phones
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Jibsonified(m): 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
Mtcheeewwww... It's illiterates that they will scare with this ... For Gods sake is it only smart phones??!!... My guy it's all Phones joor as long as u talk into them, carry them close to ur ear, carry them anywhere.. Included to this list of Worse-than-tiolet-seat are So many things.. eg Door Knob, Kitchen table, Bank Hall table, Money..the list is endless... So No big deal... That's why u take ur bath everyday and ur body has immune system... So dont just scare us jare. angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Kolade9(m): 6:47pm On Sep 17, 2013

lick your toilet seatundecided
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Danhumprey: 6:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
xplizit: ABEG,...I WAN TROWAY MY TABS AND "SMART" FONES! WHO WANT?
LWKMD.........u dey fear ni? grin
Kolade9:

lick your toilet seatundecided
grin
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 17, 2013
STILL WONT STOP ME FROM OPERATING MY DEVICE...
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by jhydebaba(m): 7:06pm On Sep 17, 2013
Thank God say I no dey use phone whether smart or mumu tongue

2 Likes

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by PrinceJustice(m): 7:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Simple: Soak in water that contains bleach. Leave for 10 mins and Sun-dry

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by saintneo(m): 7:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Exactly the reason why I don't buy 2nd hand phones.

I prefer my personal bacteria.

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Cashio(m): 7:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
So u are invariably emphasizing that our hands harbours more germs than a toilet seat...walahi una no do dat research well i swear.....
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by papaejima1: 7:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
Solution!
Do like my barber used to do.
1. pour a questionable methylated spirit on the phone.
2. Brush it vigorously with a shoe brush
3. Pour another questionable liquid (apparently a mixture containing petrol + other solvent)
4. Strike your cigarette lighter and watch the device burst into flames.
5. turn your wrist up, down, sideways to ensure the flame reaches all parts of the device
6. Blow on the device with one big gusty whoosh of air from your mouth to extinguish the flames.
7. Brush again vigorously and VOILA!
A new spanking clean device is born......E.Coli, Staph, HIV, Akpanigogo, craw-craw...... all obliterated.

Please remember to thank my barber for this formula oo
That's the ritual with his clipper whenever I venture into his shop to 'Barber' my 'head' ..... grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by bealuv(f): 7:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
Erm exactly what kind of toilet seat did they use for this research sef

2 Likes

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by papaejima1: 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
Yunglord111:
shld i laugh?
Na ya mouth, exercise it as you see fit

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Clemzy16(m): 8:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
#TEAM3310
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Clemzy16(m): 8:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
Yunglord111:
shld i laugh?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

it was so funny! Still ROF.
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
bealuv: Erm exactly what kind of toilet seat did they use for this research sef

na my own grin
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by stevecantrell: 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
#

1 Like

Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Youngmon3Y(m): 8:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
thank GOD moi c2 already bared keypad na elele....technology...tee...kii...inah...yaw...ni...oji..ji
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by Justiyke4u: 8:51pm On Sep 17, 2013
Story
Re: Smartphones And Tablets Harbour More Germs Than A Toilet Seat by patostation(m): 9:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
Unknown to many, places that harbour more germs and bacterium are not the toilets. Kitchens, computer keyboards, phones, door knobs, etc carry more germs not toilets. I don't mean Ajegunle-type or put toilets o.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Replace Iphone Xs Max Back Glass / How To Use Bb Plan To Browse On Android Using Simpleserver / TECNO Camon X Pro Vs Iphone X - Blind Camera Test.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.