Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,497 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk (1376 Views)

Uk Sends Warships To Rescue Stranded Britons / How Bright Or Bleak Is Overstaying On A Visiting Visa In The Uk / Pictures Of The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by SeanT21(f): 7:53am On Jun 22, 2008
I came across this the other day why researching colleges,

Britain is experiencing the greatest exodus of its own nationals in recent history while immigration is at unprecedented levels, new figures show.

Last year, 207,000 British citizens - one every three minutes - left the country while 510,000 foreigners arrived to stay for a year or more.

The majority of people leaving the UK go to New Zealand, France, Spain or Australia
The British made up more than half of the 400,000 moving abroad - yet only 14 per cent of immigrants were UK nationals coming home.

The figures do not include hundreds of thousands of east Europeans who have come to work in Britain in the past two years.

This is because most are coming for less than 12 months and do not show up on the statistics.

The figures from the Office for National Statistics suggest that only one sixth of the immigrants in 2006 were from the states that joined the EU in 2004.

The biggest influx was from the New Commonwealth - India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - with more than 200,000.

Since Labour came to power in 1997, 1.8m British people have left but only 979,000 have returned, Over the same period, 3.9m foreign nationals have come to Britain while 1.6m have left.

More than 50 per cent of the British emigrants moved to just four countries in 2006 - Australia, New Zealand, France and Spain. Eight in every 100 went to the USA.

The ONS said that overall last year there were 591,000 immigrants to the UK and 400,000 emigrants, both the highest figures ever recorded.

Net immigration - the difference between those leaving and arriving - was 191,000.

The departure of so many Britons is exacerbating the demographic and cultural changes caused by high levels of immigration.

Recent figures showed that despite high levels of emigration and a low birth rate, the population is still growing rapidly because of immigration.

It is growing by the equivalent to a city the size of Bristol every year.

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of Migrationwatch, said: "Two thirds of yet another record level of arrivals come from outside the EU. They could and should be subject to much tighter controls."

He added: ''This gives the lie to claims that nothing effective can be done about immigration because of our membership of the EU."

Damian Green, the Conservative spokesman, said: "These figures prove that immigration is still running at unsustainably high levels.

"This is the direct result of the Government's 'open door' approach which has totally failed to consider the impact of immigration on public services, housing and community cohesion."

Sir Simon Milton, chairman of the Local Government Association, said the Government had no clear idea of where all the immigrants were going and their impact on services.

"No-one has a real grasp of where or for how long migrants are settling so much-needed funding for local services isn't getting to the right places," he said.

"The speed and scale of migration combined with the shortcomings of official population figures is placing pressure on funding for services like children's services and housing.

''This can even lead to unnecessary tension and conflict."

While immigration is the highest in the country's history, the emigration of UK nationals is running at its greatest level since before the First World War.

Little research has been done into the reasons for the exodus of Britons, though it appears more are going abroad to retire though many younger people are leaving to work.

A study last year by the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) suggested that one in 12 UK nationals may now be living abroad.

There are 250,000 second homes owned by British nationals in France alone.

Surveys indicate that another one million are set to pack their bags for good over the next five years and a further 500,000 live abroad for part of the year.

Danny Sriskandarajah, of the IPPR, said: "The UK is seeing revolving turnstiles and not over-run floodgates.

"More people are on the move than ever before, with a million emigrants and immigrants crossing our borders last year."

He added: "It is also clear that immigration is an economic phenomenon, with almost half of those immigrating and emigrating doing so for work-related reasons."

More British live abroad than any other nationality. There are 41 countries with more than 10,000 British living there and another 71 countries with more than 1,000.

The levels of emigration are now back to those last seen in the late-1950s and early 1960s, when the "£10 Poms" left in their droves for Australia, enticed by subsidised travel and settlement.

The last exodus on a similar scale was before 1914, when the outflow was running at 300,000 per annum and more young men were leaving the country every year than died on the battlefields of Europe.

Between 1853 and 1913, more than 13 million British citizens left, mainly for North America, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

Some came back; but cumulative net emigration was equivalent to 13 per cent of the population, mostly those aged between 18 and 45.

However, there was little immigration then: the population grew because of a high birth rate.

The difference of around three million between the emigration of British nationals and immigration of foreigners represents a five per cent turnover of the entire population in ten years.

Previous immigrations did not exceed one per cent over fifty years. This turnaround in population has inevitably changed its ethnic composition.

Over the last 20 years, the white British population has decreased slightly while the number of ethnic minority Britons has doubled.

Looking ahead to the next 10 years, the white ethnic group will remain static while the number of Asian non-dependents alone will increase from 1.5 to 2.5 million.

soarce- telegraph.co.uk

Why are people leaving the Uk? What is going on?
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by aydewale: 8:42am On Jun 22, 2008
I think the quality of life is fast diminishing and countries like Canada have a much better quality of life with very little population.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by dnative(m): 9:12am On Jun 22, 2008
As this was obtained while researching, it would have been ideal to cite the source as well.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 10:17am On Jun 22, 2008
dnative:

As this was obtained while researching, it would have been ideal to cite the source as well.

SeanT21:

. . . The figures from the Office for National Statistics . . .

. . . soarce- telegraph.co.uk

And yes I know it is tediously long-winded wink
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Tegese: 11:26am On Jun 22, 2008
SeanT21:

Since Labour came to power in 1997, 1.8m British people have left but only 979,000 have returned, Over the same period, 3.9m foreign nationals have come to Britain while 1.6m have left.

does the british immigration stamp it citizen,s passport? how do they know these figures of the british people leaving and returning to the country? i think british national only flash their passport on departure and arrival, so how did the immigration know these figures?
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 12:07pm On Jun 22, 2008
Tegese:

does the british immigration stamp it citizen,s passport? how do they know these figures of the british people leaving and returning to the country? i think british national only flash their passport on departure and arrival, so how did the immigration know these figures?

Via Passenger Arrival List aka Immigration Passenger List aka Flight manifest. Hence the reason why when they apprehend people for "people trafficking", they are able to list all the people whose entry you helped facilitate into the country.

The Office of National Statistics is a govenrment quango so data protection laws or privacy laws don't apply to them. If they ask an airline to jump, it has no other choice than to ask how high?

Despite Britain's stance of turning a blind eye and keeping a stiff upper lips over loads of issues, they keep records, hence the reason detection rate of crime, immigration, fraud, etc is always high.

In 1997, the Labour Government categorically stated that the number of National Insurance in the country was more than the number of people in the country, yet have kept schtum about this since. Britain have this habit of turning the other cheek to a lot of things as long as they can keep up the pretence of being tough and in control, and as long as its citizen does not complain.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by brownbonno(m): 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2008
Busy_body:

The Office of National Statistics is a govenrment quango so data protection laws or privacy laws don't apply to them.
??
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 12:49pm On Jun 22, 2008
brownbonno:

??

Uncle B, good morning, hope you slept well? Na where dey pain you make I come kiss am better? grin grin grin
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Tegese: 12:49pm On Jun 22, 2008
Busy_body:

Via Passenger Arrival List aka Immigration Passenger List aka Flight manifest. Hence the reason why when they apprehend people for "people trafficking", they are able to list all the people whose entry you helped facilitate into the country.

The Office of National Statistics is a govenrment quango so data protection laws or privacy laws don't apply to them. If they ask an airline to jump, it has no other choice than to ask how high?

Despite Britain's stance of turning a blind eye and keeping a stiff upper lips over loads of issues, they keep records, hence the reason detection rate of crime, immigration, fraud, etc is always high.

In 1997, the Labour Government categorically stated that the number of National Insurance in the country was more than the number of people in the country, yet have kept schtum about this since. Britain have this habit of turning the other cheek to a lot of things as long as they can keep up the pretence of being tough and in control, and as long as its citizen does not complain.

@ busy_b, i have been closely watching you, i did not know that you know this much about immigration, i thought you are a human rights activist. thank you
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by brownbonno(m): 12:52pm On Jun 22, 2008
Busy_body:

Uncle B, good morning, hope you slept well? Na where dey pain you make I come kiss am better? grin grin grin

Dear you are so sweet today.I slept well ,just enjoying the sunny/windy day.
I will tell where de pain me through PM(private mail),oh sorry this forum no dey support PM.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 1:28pm On Jun 22, 2008
Tegese:

@ busy_b, i have been closely watching you, i did not know that you know this much about immigration, i thought you are a human rights activist. thank you
Don't follow too closely o, otherwise I go snag you quickly and before you can say Jack Robinson you go be the father of my 8th pickin. wink

Human rights activist, It takes one to know one  tongue. I think like Incagold,  I just need to release the Bart Simpson in me too Hmmn, I can't complain, besides loving the new job description, far better than olofofo and gbeborun.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 1:34pm On Jun 22, 2008
brownbonno:

Dear you are so sweet today.I slept well ,just enjoying the sunny/windy day.
I will tell where de pain me through PM(private mail),oh sorry this forum no dey support PM.

What do you mean? angry Today is Sunday, so I have to be on my best behaviour. I will always remain sweet as long as you dream nice dreams about me kiss
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by brownbonno(m): 1:41pm On Jun 22, 2008
Busy_body:

What do you mean? angry Today is Sunday, so I have to be on my best behaviour. I will always remain sweet as long as you dream nice dreams about me kiss
Always on a good side of my bed,so nice dreams are guaranteed.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 1:51pm On Jun 22, 2008
One question please, once I get my ulterior mission accomplished, and I get the good side of my your bed and lump you into the other side, would you still dream sweat dreams about me love kiss
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 1:54pm On Jun 22, 2008
Forget that question, I forgot its Sunday.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by brownbonno(m): 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2008
Busy_body:

One question please, once I get my ulterior mission accomplished, and I get the good side of my your bed and lump you into the other side, would you still dream sweat dreams about me love kiss

Hmmmmmm,i know you are sweet and will always keep it at that.Even when it hurts,no sacrifice is too much to make.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 2:19pm On Jun 22, 2008
Awwwww, wow, you are the sensitive type too. Is their no end to your talent? Any lady/girl would be lucky to have you as their man/dad.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by brownbonno(m): 2:27pm On Jun 22, 2008
Busy_body:

Awwwww, wow, you are the sensitive type too. Is their no end to your talent? Any lady/girl would be lucky to have you as their man/dad.

Thanks.
That is how i find myself,can;t change it even as boy/man/dad.
U can drop me a mail will be glad to hear from you.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 2:35pm On Jun 22, 2008
Is that your yacht in your profile  shocked shocked shocked Forget the fact that it is Sunday, it can go and stuff itself. No be only mail I go drop walai. God please forgive me, its your job.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by brownbonno(m): 2:41pm On Jun 22, 2008
Hahahhahaaha
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by landis(m): 7:54am On Jun 23, 2008
The real question:

why are Nigerians dying to go UK, when brits are dying to run away from it?
grin cheesy
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2008
landis:

The real is questions:

why are Nigerians dying to go UK, when brits are dying to run away from it?
grin cheesy

Hahaha.
The majority of people leaving the country in their droves, are pensioners, looking for places where their pensions/nest-egg would go further. The other category of people fleeing are people fed up with the bureaucracy in the country, the high crime rate, the expensive rate of living, want a better education for their children, in search of better healthcare, etc. In short they too are looking for places where their pounds would go further.

But we on the other hand, hmmn, I guess half a bread is better than none. cheesy
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Vicjustice: 11:37am On Jun 23, 2008
"Alaba international market" cheesy cheesy cheesy?
From many indications, i don't think you live in Nigeria how much more at Alaba international market, and even if you do live in Nigeria, you're not the kind lacking international travel experience smiley smiley smiley
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 10:12pm On Jun 23, 2008
Who told you there's no internet connection in Alaba angry grin

Fed up of UK and US, going back home for good. And I believe I can crack it as long as I leave home after 10am in the morning and get back home by latest 3pm in the evening.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by SeanT21(f): 12:46am On Jun 24, 2008
Busy_body:

Who told you there's no internet connection in Alaba angry grin

Fed up of UK and US, going back home for good. And I believe I can crack it as long as I leave home after 10am in the morning and get back home by latest 3pm in the evening.

dont let the doors knock you on your way out. ,
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by proo212(m): 12:57am On Jun 24, 2008
I guess I'm one of those, who don't really want to go back to UK. I visit as often as I can but living there is something I don't want to do anymore.

But who knows what the future holds.
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2008
Siena:

Little_Bumper, how are you? wink

Holy Toledo shocked. A riddle wrapped in mystery inside an enigma.   

Is the pope Catholic? cool
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 2:10pm On Jun 24, 2008
proo212:

I guess I'm one of those, who don't really want to go back to UK. I visit as often as I can but living there is something I don't want to do anymore.
But who knows what the future holds.

I feel you bro. kiss

SeanT21:

don't let the doors knock you on your way out. ,

You are too clever by half, fancy-schmancy. Don't forget to take the next steps necessary to make sure you mark this on ice undecided
Re: Emigration Soars As Britons Deserts The Uk by Busybody2(f): 10:42am On Jun 27, 2008
Vicjustice:

"Alaba international market" cheesy cheesy cheesy?
From many indications, i don't think you live in Nigeria how much more at Alaba international market, and even if you do live in Nigeria, you're not the kind lacking international travel experience smiley smiley smiley

Nooooooooooooooooo, that award has to go to the most deserving of all the one and only "Ajala travel all over the world", the one and only VICJUSTICE, with VIVIKOKO's Wale coming a close second. cool

Ol boy you try o, me I no fit go anywhere wey dem no dey speak English o. Na hunger and extreme paranoia go kill me undecided

(1) (Reply)

Why Do You Want To Leave Nigeria For Another Country? / Russian To English Language Translator Needed / Nigeria Travel Warning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.