Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? (708 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo At Segun Awolowo's 25th Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / USA Feeling Bad About Shekau's Death? / Nigeria Is Bad - Nigeria Is Bad - What Is Bad About Nigeria Than Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Slizbeat(m): 2:54pm On Sep 20, 2013
After Chinua Achebe released his book titled "There was a country", A personal memoir on Biafra, There were controversy following it most of which came from our Yoruba brothers on the note that he(Chinua) was against them. But there is by no way Chinua included the Yoruba in that book. As a matter of fact, his arguments is "why has the war not being taught in schools?"

The only place where Awolowo was mentioned in that book was a part where a statement credited to Pa Awo was given where he said something like " In a war, everything is fair and we are not supposed to feed our enemies so they will not defeat us" or so.(If I hadn't borrowed a friend the book, I would have presented the quote the way it is) To me, that is only where I faulted Pa Awo cos he shouldn't have said anything because the war was clearly between the young generals(Ojukwu and Gowon).

Now, can anyone who has read the book prove to me that such a book should cause controversy of any sort??

Meanwhile, Achebe's questions are unanswered which is what I also have being asking.
Why has the Nigeria-Biafra war not being taught or included in the schools' Curriculum?
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
My broda, I read d book too o and I just do no find reason to accuse Achebe of anything! Achebe blaimed all those to be blaimed and praised all those to be praised. If u read d book carefully, u will see dat in many places he clearly blaimed Ojukwu for many of his actions, which Achebe seems to believe is self-centered! When he mentiond Soyinka, he clearly praised him. He mentiond Victor Banjo without neccessarily calling him a traitor!
At d begining of a discussion on ogbunigwe, he clearly stated dat he is not a man if violence and he does not encourage violence in settling any problem.
D conclussion I came to after reading d book is dat, even though Achebe schoold in Ibadan and worked in Lagos, he clearly does not know Yorubaland and their culture! Besides the book is a must read for all Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Slizbeat(m): 3:52pm On Sep 20, 2013
cogitoErgo: My broda, I read d book too o and I just do no find reason to accuse Achebe of anything! Achebe blaimed all those to be blaimed and praised all those to be praised. If u read d book carefully, u will see dat in many places he clearly blaimed Ojukwu for many of his actions, which Achebe seems to believe is self-centered! When he mentiond Soyinka, he clearly praised him. He mentiond Victor Banjo without neccessarily calling him a traitor!
At d begining of a discussion on ogbunigwe, he clearly stated dat he is not a man if violence and he does not encourage violence in settling any problem.
D conclussion I came to after reading d book is dat, even though Achebe schoold in Ibadan and worked in Lagos, he clearly does not know Yorubaland and their culture! Besides the book is a must read for all Nigerians.

Yes. You really read the book and from my point of view, that book has no tribal affiliation and clearly shows that Achebe has no problem with any tribe but his problem is with the Nigerian system and politics.
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 20, 2013
Don't mind em ma brother. Non of em cared to read the book, many of em can't even read. They just jumped on the "let's get achebe" band cos a few sadists said so. Idiots came on NL n said achebe should be put in the "hall of shame" cos of the book.

1 Like

Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 20, 2013
I have also read the book. What was said about the book on nairaland is absolutely different from what i read. Nevertheless, am happy Chinua Achebe mentioned my hometown several times in the book as one of the places he took refuge during the war. It's such an honour. grin
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2013
I believe Chinua Achebe has a personal hatred for Obafemi Awolowo. Read The Trouble With Nigeria (pp 5,6).
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Peinstein: 5:44pm On Sep 20, 2013
I think the issue of Awolowo and Achebe as regards "There was a country" has been over-discussed. There are hundreds of Nairaland threads which addressed the issue you are bringing up already.
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by meccuno: 6:33pm On Sep 20, 2013
Orlando Owoh: I believe Chinua Achebe has a personal hatred for Obafemi Awolowo. Read The Trouble With Nigeria (pp 5,6).
achebe never had any personal hatred for awolowo.....where do you cook up your facts from...and if you think he did,please state in the book what he said that would warrant him showing hate......
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 20, 2013
Orlando Owoh: I believe Chinua Achebe has a personal hatred for Obafemi Awolowo. Read The Trouble With Nigeria (pp 5,6).
Thats another book by Achebe? I think we are talking about There Was a Country.
I think where people may hang on for argument against Achebe in Awolowo is a section titled The Case Against the Nigerian Governmemt, starting on page 233!
Re: How Did "There Was A Country" In Any Way Say Bad About Awolowo?? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2013
meccuno: achebe never had any personal hatred for awolowo.....where do you cook up your facts from...and if you think he did,please state in the book what he said that would warrant him showing hate......
I gave you the name of the book where you can find it. It is "The Trouble With Nigeria".

(1) (Reply)

Pro-jonathan Rally Turns Violent In Kaduna, Several Injured / Do You Think ASUU's Demands Are A Bit Too High? / Yoruba, Igbo Mistrust Cause Of Underdevelopment – Adebanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.