Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Diary Of A Frustrated Undergraduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Diary Of A Frustrated Undergraduate (605 Views)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / Guinness Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme 2015 / 2012 NNPC/MPN National Undergraduate Scholarship Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Diary Of A Frustrated Undergraduate by Picomon(m): 5:51pm On Sep 20, 2013
I was happy and a little envious when my friend wrote her final exam. She was going to be a graduate at last! All that was left was to defend her projects and in few weeks she is on her way to NYSC camp.

Now I can’t describe what I feel, it’s a mixture of feelings of pity, anger, worry, anxiety and uncertainty. I sleep every night and wake up every morning expecting to hear good news. What exactly is happening? What is going to happen?

How can federal government say they can’t fund universities adequately, give academic allowances when they can afford to pay senators, house of assembly members about N30 million monthly asides other allowances? How can federal government say they can’t afford landed properties for universities and amend pension scheme when they can spend billions of naira on banking, aviation and tourism? Why can’t the presidency grant academic freedom, proper federal assistance to education considering the fact that the president himself was once a lecturer? Why is the country not paying enough attention to education? Most advanced countries in the world have good educational systems backed up by adequate financial and infrastructural support by the federal government and they thrive, the university students have enough facilities at their disposal and can give research findings and projects to investors ready to maximize them. As for ASUU, SSANU, NAAT, NASU, is it the love that they have for the students and education that is making them do this or their quests to eat out of the national cake? Who is deceiving who?

Why on earth do you want to work till you are 70? Lecturers at this age hardly benefit students; they might not even show up in class! Why do you want to deprive young heads the opportunity to live their dreams as lecturers? I don’t know what will become of education in this country; must lecturers continue to strike to get things done? I don’t know if students will continue to spend 6yrs in school instead of 4, I don’t know why after all the stress students will still graduate and remain un -employed, I don’t know if my friend will still mobilize and serve her fatherland with the next batch but come to think of it, It’s not as if serving our fatherland is what we earnestly look up to now considering how much risk is involved. But I have hope, hope that Nigeria will rise again, that young Nigerians will be happy again, that corruption will end in Nigeria one day.

I have hope that Nigeria will become a country we will be proud of. A country where dreams will come true.

Source: http://www.fleeptalk.com/2013/09/diary-of-frustrated-undergraduate.html
Re: Diary Of A Frustrated Undergraduate by emperorchedda(m): 9:12pm On Sep 20, 2013
Only hope we got is wen GEJ leaves the office

(1) (Reply)

Jamb 2014/2015 Registration Begins / ..............ASUU Latest............ / ASUU Yet To Call Off Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.