Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,300 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? (4053 Views)

Pregnant Bride Wears Yellow In Anglican Church Wedding (Photo) / How Biblical Is Church Wedding? / Nigerian Fake Pastors And Church Business Exposed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by Youngzedd(m): 9:26am On Sep 22, 2013
Good morning my fellow Nairalanders.

This issue has been bordering me for so long and I need clarification with scriptural background.

My church do not allow couple that doesn't wed in the church to per take on the holy communion even though you have done traditional marriage. Not only that, the two will be seen as not legally married and sinners.

Now, between traditional marriage and church wedding which do God recognize or approved as the most important, that is why I need scriptural backup.

Is it a sin that a christian didn't wed in church after traditional wedding?

I will appreciate your contributions @All.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by remsonik(f): 9:30am On Sep 22, 2013
Traditional marriage is more important,read the story of how jacob picked his wife.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by amanda2013(f): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2013
Traditional marriage
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by mcfynest(m): 11:15am On Sep 22, 2013
now look at it in this scenario.

if the caucasians celebrate their white/church weddimg, do they also celebrate nigerian's traditional wedding

for me, it is traditional marriahe, but if you want your 'pastor' to bless your marriage, let him do it during the traditional marriage....
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by Youngzedd(m): 11:48am On Sep 22, 2013
remsonik: Traditional marriage is more important,read the story of how jacob picked his wife.

Thanks.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2013
Wetin be traditional marriage. Until I'm wedded before the altar of the almighty God by a Catholic Priest, I will consider myself a single man.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by Youngzedd(m): 1:53pm On Sep 22, 2013
italo: Wetin be traditional marriage. Until I'm wedded before the altar of the almighty God by a Catholic Priest, I will consider myself a single man.

Any Bible backup sir?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 1:57pm On Sep 22, 2013
Youngzedd:

Any Bible backup sir?
Youngzedd:

Any Bible backup sir?

Bible back-up for what, Sir?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by obyrich(m): 2:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
It is the absolute right of parents to hand over their children to their spouses. No man of God in the bible both in the old and new testaments conducted wedding ceremonies. Until the destruction of the tabernacle built by Solomon no single marriage was conducted in it. Neither Christ nor any of the disciples wedded anybody. In the event where Christ turned water into wine, he was there as a guest and not an official! It was a traditional wedding not a church wedding.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
To the ladies that are saying traditional marriage is more important for Christians, I have a question:

If you and I have a traditional marriage, would I be free to marry other women as our traditions clearly allow? Or will you suddenly remember that THE BIBLE says one man, one wife?

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by SalC: 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2013
italo: Wetin be traditional marriage. Until I'm wedded before the altar of the almighty God by a Catholic Priest, I will consider myself a single man.
Haa bros is this your personal opinion?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by SalC: 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2013
italo: To the ladies that are saying traditional marriage is more important for Christians, I have a question:

If you and I have a traditional marriage, would I be free to marry other women as our traditions clearly allow? Or will you suddenly remember that THE BIBLE says one man, one wife?
Your question is a very important one here. But come to think of it did the bible explicitly condemn polygamy for all?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by babestell(f): 2:44pm On Sep 22, 2013
I don't know why people are complaining the 2 are just as important and nowadays people do it on the same day. It saves money and time. Instead of travelling twice. Infact I know some igbo people who have done theirs outside the village just to save cost and time. Please don't play with your traditions and don't play with your religion. These are the 2 things that give the majority of us focus in life. Unfortunately trad marriages do not carry certificate with them, until they do.....do the 2
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by SalC: 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2013
If you ask for my personal opinion, I will say traditional marriage is the most important but if you belong to a kingdom, try to conform to the principles of the kingdom where you belong. That is to say , if you belong to a church and they said you must be wedded in the church for you to be accepted as truly married, you have to adhere to their principles.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 3:01pm On Sep 22, 2013
Sal C: Haa bros is this your personal opinion?

Yes, my personal opinion.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2013
Sal C: If you ask for my personal opinion, I will say traditional marriage is the most important but if you belong to a kingdom, try to conform to the principles of the kingdom where you belong. That is to say , if you belong to a church and they said you must be wedded in the church for you to be accepted as truly married, you have to adhere to their principles.

Precisely why I have that opinion.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 3:14pm On Sep 22, 2013
The only tradition I have always lived my life by is the Sacred Tradition of the Catholic Church.

That is why I will have only one wife.

That is why I dont see any human being as an "out cast."

That is why I do not worship Amadioha or any of the other gods.

As a Catholic, I have great respect for our African Tradition and am free to practise it except where it conflicts with Catholic teaching. The Catholic Church also has great respect for traditional marriage and the values it has...but not at the expense of Church marriage.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by SalC: 3:22pm On Sep 22, 2013
italo: The only tradition I have always lived my life by is the Sacred Tradition of the Catholic Church.

That is why I will have only one wife.

That is why I dont see any human being as an "out cast."

That is why I do not worship Amadioha or any of the other gods.

As a Catholic, I have great respect for our African Tradition and am free to practise it except where it conflicts with Catholic teaching. The Catholic Church also has great respect for traditional marriage and the values it has...but not at the expense of Church marriage.

You've said it all.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by Youngzedd(m): 11:35am On Sep 23, 2013
Sal C: You've said it all.

He didn't because no scriptural backup.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 11:53am On Sep 23, 2013
Youngzedd:

He didn't because no scriptural backup.

Scriptural back-up for what?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by Youngzedd(m): 3:37pm On Sep 23, 2013
italo:

Scriptural back-up for what?

Will you follow the teachings of the Bible or the teachings of the church?
Law made by humans
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by italo: 5:36pm On Sep 23, 2013
That the Bible is God's word is also a teaching of the Church. The Bible was made by the Church. Jesus was never recorded to tell anyone to make anything that sounded like "Bible."

So is the Bible then a book made by humans or not?

You think the Bible is the teaching authority for Christians?

Okay, tell me if contraception is right or wrong.

Show me where the Bible says about "Christians" and traditional marriage.

Tell me where the Bible says it has the authority to teach above the Church which the Bible calls the Pillar and foundation of truth.

I dey wait you.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by Filmewell(f): 9:25pm On Sep 23, 2013
traditional marriage is d main thing any other is /are formalities.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by kenjudy(m): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2013
Abeg make una no dey follow follow ooo! If ur tradition no dey involved for ur marriage, na scam ooo. That's why so many marriages got messed up dis days cos people has tended to neglect what's more important. Someone here said traditional marriage doesn't have certificate, who told u? Except na all dis new generation church never know what's up. As long as ur parents must sign on those certificate provided by church and govt, it means they're involved which makes traditional marriage a priority and no1 at dat. Believe it or not, trado marriage is d most important. It gives u sense of marriage rights and obligations. I pity my future wife wey go talk of church first, na devil go punish am no be God again.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by colocolo: 12:48pm On Sep 25, 2013
I believe the traditional marriage is more important. Even some churches recognize the importance of the traditional aspect of marriage by insisting it be done before the pastor joins the intending couple in holy wedlock.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Wedding Which Is The Most Important? by jamace(m): 10:05am On Sep 29, 2013
Filmewell: traditional marriage is d main thing any other is /are formalities.

WORD!!!

(1) (Reply)

Mercy Chinwo The Excess Love Crooner Was Shot Yesterday By Robbers / Dr Fireman's Church's Poster Featuring Hot Girls / Where Does Your Tithe Go To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.